Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

just a reminder that there is a pauper thread as well, but anyone interested in pauper is welcome to join us cool dudes in the Eternal thread as well, provided you have correct opinions about basic lands and Mishra's factory art (all Winter is correct, for the record)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Quick rules question on cycling. So, some cards say "When X is cycled, do Y." Does the "Do Y" happen before or after the card is drawn? Here's the rules text I found that gives me pause:

quote:

702.28c Some cards with cycling have abilities that trigger when they’re cycled. “When you cycle [this card]” means “When you discard [this card] to pay a cycling cost.” These abilities trigger from whatever zone the card winds up in after it’s cycled.

This implies to me that the "Do Y" happens before I draw the card. For example, suppose I cycle Shefet Monitor. I *think* the correct sequence of events is this following:

1. Pay the cycling cost
2. Shefet Monitor hits the bin
3. Search for a land happens
4. You shuffle your library
5. You draw a card

Is that right?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

whoops

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pretty hosed up that wizards thought doomsday was too good and killed it in legacy

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

jesus that jadine fact sheet

what

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Procrastinator posted:

SCG shows fact sheets about some of its more common feature match players.

Jadine Klomparens's indicated that she was held at gunpoint by a 9-year-old while delivering pizza.

i knew about the fact sheets but they're usually like "is a horrible shut in nerd"

fuckin lol at that story though

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

15 lands huh

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BW zombies dead to one of the neckbeard twins. standard is bad again

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

somewhere, a single tear rolls down Pascal Maynard's cheek

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

after the drafts

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

loving lol at the Wizards camera effects loving up yet again

please have SCG run these, thanks

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i'm the quadruple slitherblade deck in a pro tour draft

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

liten, i realize practically being inside is probably best for testing. but maybe frame this little spot in such a way that doesn't imply everybody testing is afraid of the sun, wotc

the team house is the worst development in the history of nerd games

e: i didn't actually watch it - whose McMansion is this? the smol turret and mismatched windows in that last shot were real choice

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 12, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

martin juza's draft deck is sweet as hell

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the ben friedman hat gimmick still going strong, I see

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

new perspectives combo vs mono black zombies. a tale as old as time

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mcmagic posted:

There is no way this deck is good.

it's horrible, but it's sweet

e: ya like sickening said, if you cast a lost legacy, the game ends. this deck is not getting there with flying banisher priest beats

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

who is this Maria person? I think I prefer her to the Rich Hagon Thespian Power Hour

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

That is very hard to believe. How can one of largest cities int he united states have so little modern support?

there's lots of modern all over chicago. just not on Fridays

also the constructed scene in chicago itself isn't great. It's all out in the burbs, which is consistent with the metro areas I've lived in

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Go control go

god this match is great

gently caress me what a timely transgress the mind

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I agree. Reprint Brainstorm so we'll know what we're drawing.

e: i can't be expected to just KNOW I have a show and tell on top, even though there always is one

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Brainstorm without fetches might not even be played in standard...

why do you do those loving ellipses after every god drat post you make

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

He fought Black Potus for his right to do so and we must respect it

it is written

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

I never understood why this isn't in modern. This seems like a very fair magic card. Sometimes it gets you a card, sometimes multiple, sometimes nothing at all. Seems super safe in standard where you won't even print loving duress.

Maybe I have a bias towards discard spells.

it + young peezy + probe was probably too good, but with probe out of the picture it seems fine

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

Is this a good deck or is josh just good at magic.

it's good. i played a version that is just worse and did reasonably okay in the main event today. people aren't really ready for real aggro decks and you just blow people the gently caress up

it's a mistake to only play 2 gurmags however, that card is nuts and super easy to turn on

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

I'd rather not.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

YggdrasilTM posted:

I like this!

reprint unearth you loving cowards. there's even cycling in this set!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

this card is kind of sweet in modern Mono G stompy, assuming you're not on 4x Aspect of Hydra

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the Orb of Zot posted:

I don't see this seeing standard play; Griselbrand was unfathomably stronger and still only was playable in Standard due to the presence of an incredible reanimation spell

also that dude that made black mana equal to your devotion to black

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mikujin posted:

Nykthos was a land; you may be thinking of Crypt Ghast which just added B to all the mana your swamp-typed lands produced.

yeah im thinking of crypt ghast

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

unless he did and tsa broke them open right in front of him, now that would be hilarious

About one out of every three times TSA will flag my bag in the scanner and take out my deck boxes and open them up, and this is in the pre-check line. The TSA trickster gods were not smiling on him that day, I guess

Sickening posted:

I guess if you have 44k to spend on a booster box you don't try to take it on an airplane with you in your carry on though.

what's the other option? in your checked bag (if they had one) is way more risky, and even in the mail you've let your 5-figure investment out of sight. if i were not a frequent flier, a box of cardboard for playing a children's card game would not cross my mind as a suspicious item

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 23, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Gustav posted:

Hard to imagine what they were expecting to find in there...

i think the stacks of cards just show up as big black boxes on the screen. all sorts of weird poo poo gets flagged. When flying out of Wisconsin I have been asked, multiple times, if I have cheese curds in my bag because apparently it looks like explosives on the monitors. I mean maybe that's just a joke that Wisconsin TSA do but it's happened more than once at multiple airports

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

So has Wizards elaborated on why Bolas is deciding to utterly destroy a plane that isn't useful to him anymore instead of just leaving, or is it just "he's a generic evil bad guy!!!" terrible writing that we've come to expect from them?

bolas caught wind of your posting and is now destroying all of creation, starting wiht Amonkhet

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i'm the guy at 8-2 on day 2 of an open that doesn't know that his oketra's monument reduces creature cost

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

justice: oketra's monument guy loses to his opponent skillfully putting ancient tombs into play

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

wizards please continue to print format staples in the old border. thanks

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it kills and exiles your own stuff if you don't have specifically lord of the accursed

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

can i play the ezuri/skullclamp deck in duel commander? because that's all im interested in doing in that format

e: oh gaea's cradle is banned, those loving cowards

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 18, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

please do not buy anything over $25 from star city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Entropic posted:

... I guess someone has to balance out Marshall.

lsv fully embracing his new dad role