Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheKingofSprings posted:

Just wanting to be sure, I'm not going grog crazy after being a 5 year veteran and the game actually is getting worse, right?

Count the standard bans in the last year.

Count the standard bans in the four years before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

rabidsquid posted:

whether or not its going to cut a significant amount of entrants is kind of irrelevant in the face that it's at best, what exactly? what is the best case scenario for this change? because i see no positive side to this.

Cutting one of the prizes from SCG Invitations means less incentive for pros to focus on SCG Invitationals, which means SCG Invitationals will be less interesting to watch, which means fewer people will be watching SCG streams, which means more people will be watching WotC streams instead, which means WotC makes more money from advertising.

And as we all know, most of WotC's income is from advertisements on its stream, so this is definitely the key trick that will save this dying game. That's how games like Minecraft and League of Legends got so profitable: the companies behind them made sure no streams other than the official company stream were watchable.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tainen posted:

This is probably really bad but I like the design

https://twitter.com/hotcblog/status/895712418059485184

It says "destroy" instead of "sacrifice", and there's no "if you do" clause, so it works really well with indestructible/regenerating creatures.

I mean, you're better off with token-generating spells and ridiculously huge creatures, but still.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It would if you could destroy Blightsteel, but since it tends to win the turn a blightsteel swings I guess the part where the aura fails to do much is irrelevant.

It actually does a lot with Blightsteel and other indestructibles. It will still summon a new creature and attach itself to the new creature, it'll just let you keep the original too.

But yeah, in Blightsteel's case getting a second turn with it won't often be that important.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

MisterOblivious posted:

Pauper Kamigawa Block Tiny Leaders is a legal FNM format.

Hard to build a legal deck for that one, what with the lack of common legends.

If you make it Peasant Kamigawa Block Tiny Leaders, then you get a tournament where everyone is required to run Brothers Yamazaki as their commander. While both players have their commander in play, they buff each other.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 17, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Molybdenum posted:

There's nagao, a couple snakes, the flip legends with ki counters, the flip flying guy

All are CMC 4 (so not legal in Tiny Leaders) or are only legendary after they've been flipped (so not legal commanders, as they're nonlegendary in the command zone).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If you can deal both first strike damage and normal combat damage, you get to loot twice. An amazing payoff that's definitely worth the effort.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

New Jace is loot on damage instead of just loot because they thought that would make it more piratey.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

odiv posted:

What was that story about mtgo coding and the Archetypes from Born of the Gods?

The only way they could code Archetype of Imagination was to go through every single card that involved Flying in the entire game and write individual code for each one of them to have that card's Flying stop applying while Archetype of Imagination is on the field. Same with all the other Archetypes with their respective keywords.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GonSmithe posted:

House rules are never, ever, ever good. They are always something that people think makes the game better but actually completely ruin it because they have no idea how game design works. The reason everyone hates playing Monopoly is because no one plays it right and makes up house rules like Free Parking which keeps all of the money in the game and it never ends.

House rules can be good if the motivation isn't "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if-", but "This game is great except this one aspect of the game is really broken, if we put a rules band-aid on that then the game works perfectly."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

They already did the big creature type update, the cat's out of the bag already in terms of old creatures' official types matching their printed ones.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Why did they unkeyword Unblockable? It's not like that keyword's existence made the game harder to learn, it's the only keyword in the game that is 100% self-explanatory.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The cards aren't really funny as jokes the way Unglued's were, but this set looks awesome to play and my only regret is that these mechanics aren't in black-border-land.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

What even gets around Hexproof and Indestructable? "Exile All" effects, like Descend Upon the Sinful and Settle the Wreckage? Other than that??

"Bounce all" effects work too, especially for a card like this that can't just regain those keywords when it's cast again. You can also use a wrath followed by an edict. Alternatively, dealing 20 damage to its controller tends to work.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Nailed it

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

kingcobweb posted:

Creep

Edit: if you mean that I work in Ballard, I haven’t for about two years

The branding team decided you now work in Nalaar.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lets Pickle posted:

I have a question about Ascend. If you have a permanent with Ascend, is it constantly checking to see if you have ten permanents in order to initially give you the City's Blessing? Or does it only check when the spell is cast/resolves, as with instants/sorceries with Ascend?

They've said it's constantly checking, and that Ascending doesn't use the stack. Might be an SBA?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

born on a buy you posted:

if I have two things exiled by profane procession, activate the ability holding priority, and then activate it again would it flip back to the profane procession side after transforming due to the first trigger?

No. Under Innistrad's rules it would have, but under the new transform rules that came with Shadow over Innistrad it won't retransform.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

kingcobweb posted:

Also, they make tons of other cards that are multicolored but that don't need to be. Weaver of Currents and the Rivals gold lords are very easy examples.

The issue is that the question started with a statement that is clearly untrue.

Back when Khans was coming out, people asked why a bunch of gold cards had colors that they didn't really need, and Maro wrote a bunch of huffy words about how that box-ticking mentality is beneath his more sophisticated design, and as long as a card fits with Abzan as a whole, you can make it gold even if there's nothing black about it at all.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Smashing Link posted:

Also I want a format where you can only play 1 of Mythics, 2 of Rares, 3 of Uncommons, and 4 of Commons.

R.I.P. Magic Duels

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lets Pickle posted:

Are you loving kidding me

Also the google translations for these are awesome. I can't believe they reprinted A Sword as a Hoe and Nicks Hair Ram.

Big fan of Fireman Nive Midget

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Maro's straight-up lying when he says that they only used to make ally manabases better than enemy manabases but they don't do that anymore. Just look at the rare dual cycles from the last few years:

Ixalan: Ally checklands
Amonkhet: Ally cyclelands
Kaladesh: Enemy fastlands
Innistrad 2: Ally handlands
Zendikar 2: Ally tangolands; Enemy manlands
Tarkir: Ally fetchlands

They're making twice as many ally cycles as enemy, and the six months between Kaladesh and Amonkhet is the only time since the original Innistrad was legal that ally and enemy colors had the same number of dual lands in Standard.

On the other hand, Aether Hub doesn't care whether your colors are enemy or ally, so I guess that's a form of balance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'