Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jose posted:

general incompetence, knifing in the back constantly by his own MP's and the press going hard against him

Condiv posted:

Problem is, the other wing is way worse at leading, as shown by them taking the political opportunity of Cameron making GBS threads himself so spectacularly he resigned to knife their leadership in the back.

lorn Wayne posted:

gove/boris might slither out of the shadows once again this time and do some casual knifing.

Ages ago in one of the Fashion SWAT frontpage articles, Dr. Thorpe described the early history of Britain as something like "their entire political system revolved around slitting each other's throats and hurling the bodies into a bog." It's nice to see things haven't changed all that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

rudatron posted:

He's not Marxist and his policies are actually polling majority support, he's the victim of his own party centrists rat loving him. Its character assassination, pain and simple.

And being honest, he's just not that good at being a party leader or policy advocate, much as I'd prefer otherwise.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

quote:

Simon Danczuk has confessed that 'younger women are my Achilles heel' as the 17-year-old he sexted was revealed as a dominatrix who sold toenail clippings online for £10 a time

Somewhere in Washington, Dick Morris snaps awake and begins furiously googling British immigration laws and procedures.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Remember those various tories who periodically work themselves into frothing rages over Black Adder Goes Forth?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Baloogan posted:

its only competition is nazi germany and other communist regimes like north korea

*cough*the Confederacy*cough*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Baloogan posted:

the british empire was 'bad' (but not exceptionally so, and english law is the basis for the world's law) but it gets serious points for being so cool and paving the way for global civilization overall I'd say the british empire was great.

just look at the ex-british colonies and compare them to spanish/etc colonies.

That's enough now, Loogs.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

96 posts over night did corbyn resign or someth-

:yikes:

Yeah, thread is going entirely off the rails. How's about we try to move the discussion back toward the actual upcoming British elections, rather than flogging on about whether the Soviet Union or Victorian colonialism were greater evils?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

just drop a few on america and russia and china and watch the fireworks as they all retaliate

Under the current administration that would lead to the US immediately launching its entire arsenal at *rolls D20*...huh, Micronesia.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

so what's corbyn's path to electoral victory look like, where and by how much does he have to win

It'd probably be some barely-workable lib-lab* coalition which flounders with constant internal problems from Blairite shitbags threatening to cross the aisle over the government not grinding sufficient quantities of the poor/immigrants into mulch.

*yes I know the SNP would probably be more prominent coalition partners than the libdems, I just think "lib-lab" sounds funny and so like saying it whenever possible.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

all of corbyns policies are really popular but labour MP's and the public have been told repeatedly they're not feasible then corbyn's manifesto gets in and :captainpop:

It really is remarkable that someone whose policies are "I will try to make your life better" is gaining on someone whose are "I will have your children burned alive to heat the saunas of the rich."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nonsense posted:

There's been a crush in Manchester

...shooting & explosion? gently caress

edit2: Electrical explosion possibly

From what I've read, it was likely a transformer blew out or something similar and people got killed in the resulting panicked rush.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

nopantsjack posted:

Wait guys! I know corbyn says water good so water bad, but I found this 2004 speech by Tony Blair that says water good!

What does it mean?? *Furrows brow reporterly*

It means we need to slash NHS funding and make sure poor children don't get free lunches.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Clement Attlee's desiccated skeleton.

go big or go home.

Ramsey MacDonald!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

hakimashou posted:

That's a damning indictment of their constituents.

It's more that Hamas was actually offering very basic social services in Gaza, which Fatah had notoriously failed to do. Without offering any endorsement or approval of Hamas itself, I have a hard time blaming people under such desperate circumstances from grasping the only hand offered them.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PleasingFungus posted:

but, you quoted two bad posters

"They say you never banned a good poster."
"I never met a good poster." :clint:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

why was May even picked to be Conservative leader in the first place? does she know where all the 8 year olds are buried?

Well yes, but I don't think that had much to do with why they chose her.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LinYutang posted:

aren't british polls notoriously terrible

British everything is notoriously terrible.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CottonWolf posted:

Who wants that many innocents to die?

Given their manifesto, I'm gonna say the Tories.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A vote for conservatives is a vote for megadeath

They haven't released a good album in years, and Dave Mustaine's a crazy rear end in a top hat these days!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They're still way better than Metallica.

I was impressed with Hardwired, for the most part. I mean sure they're not at Master of Puppets or And Justice for All levels anymore, but who the hell is?

And as obnoxious as Lars can be, at least he's never declared that a mass shooting is an Obama-engineered false flag to justify gun confiscation.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

This is not the thread for being wrong about Ukraine and the maidan protests. This is the thread for being wrong about British electoral politics.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jBrereton posted:

Euromaidan protesters were not well served by a very corrupt elite they tried to boo offstage and who are quite happy to lose the Russian-ethnic part of the country because it guarantees their parliamentary future (that and banning Yanukovich's MPs from seeking office legitimately ever again), also Victor Yanukovich is bad.

Hope that clears up this incredibly not that hard issue once you stop picking a side other than the average Ukrainian.

Please take it to SevastoPOL thread, make one if you have to, this is Britlections.

Not directed at you, but just in case anyone missed it at the bottom of last page:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is not the thread for being wrong about Ukraine and the maidan protests. This is the thread for being wrong about British electoral politics.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Karl Barks posted:

and she's just this little old lady who drinks tea and eats biscuits all day

And has many small dogs.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Karl Barks posted:

does she really? that sounds nice

She keeps corgis and they are just adorable.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Karl Barks posted:

i like orwell btu this doesn't make sense. germany had a king, japan had an emperor

Germany's monarch got deposed after WWI and fled into exile in The Netherlands.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the british monarch is a cute inoffensive little lady with adorable dogs and compassion for all and lol if you prefer trump or some genocidal commie to that imo

On the other hand, Leopold II.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

wasn't japan ruled by a dictatorship granted power by the emperor for like a thousand years

Japan's emperors an odd bunch, and not many of them actually were powerful rulers in a way comparable to western monarchs. More commonly, they're closer to figureheads for the Shogun or whoever else is actually running things.

EDIT: Which is not to say that they were powerless, or that Hirohito in particular was just a pawn without any say in what his government was doing.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

still a monarchy based on nothing but lineage

They are cute dogs, though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the one on the left doesn't seem familiar

And I do hereby further declare all indentured Servants, Negroes, or others, (appertaining to Rebels,) free that are able and willing to bear Arms, they joining His MAJESTY'S Troops as soon as may be, for the more speedily reducing this Colony to a proper Sense of their Duty, to His MAJESTY'S Leige Subjects, to retain their Quitrents, or any other Taxes due or that may become due, in their own Custody, till such Time as Peace may be again restored to this at present most unhappy Country, or demanded of them for their former salutary Purposes, by Officers properly authorised to receive the same.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The British were only offering amnesty to volunteers. If the Loyalists won there would still be slavery.

Probably not for as long, though, as the crown didn't tolerate obstreperous slaveholders and had already abolished slavery in England itself. If the Loyalists had won, they'd have at least lost their slaves when Parliament passed the Abolition Act of 1833.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I actually wonder if the British could even afford to buy out American slavers on top of Caribbean slaveholders.

If they'd had to put down one American rebellion already, I suspect they'd be a lot less conciliatory with even Loyalists. Prob. more of "Hey guess what, slavery's illegal now! Kindly refer all questions to the nice redcoated men with guns who by complete coincidence started garrisoning your cities and towns last week."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lastgirl posted:

no she's coming for Something Awful, and fast

Papa Lowtax needs to stash whatever goondollars he has in his cayman account before MI5 seizes the LLC assets

BBC today reporting that, in one of the biggest seizures yet, MI5 has confiscated the following from suspected terror supporter SomethingAwful LCC:

*Five pallets of Mangosteen
    *Three unopened boxes of Cityname Sportsteam regalia, one opened box (soiled, suspected use as catbed and/or possum nest)
    *Several dozen mismatching office chairs
    *One half-eaten can of off-brand baked beans (expired).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Sorry to helldump, but you're the dude who makes GBS posts about how great Elon Musk is, say things like "bleeding heart liberal" unironically, and claims that a person's wealth has a 1:1 correlation to the quality of decisions they've made.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

if you can find a source for this one beyond the tiny green men living in your head that would be cool

Or, better idea, how about we don't do this at all?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Stabbatical posted:

:lol:

how do you gently caress up that badly

jesus

Back in the immediate aftermath of 2012, forums poster Mitt Romney described those who had toxxed for his namesake as "deliberately setting up a bear trap around their own dick and then acting all shocked and dismayed when it clanged shut." It's a pretty good metaphor for how May in particular and the tories in general have behaved during this election cycle.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lastgirl posted:

takes one to know one imo

He's not wrong.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The best part is he was already wrong when he posted it a year ago.

Makes sense, given that Dean sold out years ago.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jose posted:

can you gently caress off an argue in some thread that isn't about british politics on the day of a loving general election

Yeah, I think this particular derail's run its length.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

hey brits I havent been following the snap election at all is anything gonna happen or are the brexit people just gonna win again

Both major parties are pro- or at least not anti-Brexit, so it's kind of a forgone conclusion that that's not going to change with this election unless somehow the libdems win, presumably through a bizarre combination of natural disaster and divine intervention.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

They say that Gladstone never died, but that he rests in Avalon, and will return in the Liberals' darkest hour.

If this doesn't do it, I'm not sure I want to see* what the grand old man's waiting for.

*I lied I totally want to see it! :unsmigghh:

CAROL posted:

how come

He's a dick.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

loquacius posted:

Question, does British election coverage involve video feed of an increasingly panicky man frantically zooming in and out of a giant touchscreen map and losing hope in real time, or is that unique to America

They don't do election coverage in realtime, it's against some electioneering law if I remember right.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

Ok, so I'm the dumb American, but how are these numbers good news? I have a very poor understanding of how the UK parliament works

When May called the snap election it was widely presumed the tories would sail to an even larger majority than they had at that point, and would be in position to basically dictate how Brexit would be handled among other things (like, say, using the children of the poor as cordwood to heat the saunas of the rich). Labour was thought to be in disarray and certain to lose seats, until they put out their manifesto which turns out a lot of people like, all while the tories punched themselves in the dick over and over again.

Taintrunner posted:

get hosed farage

Worth repeating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

anime was right posted:

the dickpunching part seems like the most important tbh

It probably was the more important element, but I don't think we should downplay how jam man actually made an effort to put forward a platform that his base would, you know, like.