Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I didn't realize how much I missed Hannibal-style crazy visuals until I watched this. Man I really dug the whole thing :)

"I'm trying to get my dignity back here! :byodame:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aardark posted:

Please also check out Legion for your crazy visuals needs.

I just recently finished up watching that, it was also great. 2017 is gonna be a great year for television.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dancer posted:

A still shot of an erect penis doing nothing would be considered "more explicit" than what we saw.

Welp! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

By season three the show will be nothing but a field of dicks, standing as proud and multitudinous as American corn, and I hope it wins all the awards

It must be so much fun for Bryan Fuller after three years of NBC telling him,"Yeah okay you can create a silo full of corpse-art but lord help me there better not be any unblurred buttcracks! :argh:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SCOTT THOMPSON! :neckbea-OH GOD! :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You weren't supposed to hate him in The Wire and he was good in that. Really sold a man slowly drowning without hope of a life raft.

Then he gets thrown a liferaft (for his girlfriend and daughter too!) and chucks it away because his identity is so tied in to the idea of the docks and what they used to be/mean :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"This is a sad, lovely obituary :mad:"
"Yeah, well you lived a sad, lovely life :shrug:"

Loved their dynamic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I somehow completely forgot that Crispin Glover's name is in the opening credits and I was utterly thrilled to see him.

But I've come to the rather obvious conclusion that I'd watch an hour a week of "Bryan Fuller Presents Gillian Anderson Doing Stuff", she's so great in this and she was fantastic in Hannibal too (those Europe episodes :swoon:)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 8 is the finale!?! Noooooo!

I want more!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Knorth posted:

Ah yeah he was the awkward animal guy in Hannibal wasn't he

"....is your social worker in that horse?" is one of the greatest lines in television history.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh drat! I always forget that! And he's the loving main character!

But, literally everyone who spoke in the movie went on to have a career. Nathan Fillion is the guy they think is Ryan with the brothers in grade school. :psypop:

I always forget Vin Diesel is in that movie too, with a pretty significant part!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seriously, every time she appears it's like everybody else disappears off the screen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I want to see the gods based off sports teams

The Trickster God Bill Belichick

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The new showrunner's credits include The Walking Dead and Dexter :cripes:

Can't wait till season 4, helmed by Scott Buck.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The flashback stuff was a little much but I gotta say they absolutely nailed the casting for the younger Shadow.

Also Dead Wife and Unlucky Leprechaun remain a great double act, and I love how revolted Anansi is by Wednesday. I thought they were gonna go with the obvious (and terrible) payoff to the chicken joke and was so glad that they went a different way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BexGu posted:

What happened to Media again in season 1 to make her go into hiding?

As noted in the other reply, Gillian Anderson left the show (because why be in a show if it isn't going to be Bryan Fuller photographing her in beautiful locations?) but the storyline reason is that Wednesday inspiring Easter and then just battering the poo poo out of Mr. World with a single blow scared the gently caress out of her, as she thought Mr. World was unstoppable, so she's gone into hiding to figure out her next move.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In the interest of positivity, I'll say I really enjoyed the hapless adventures of the world's unluckiest leprechaun. :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was so much better than last week, and the opening sequence was great.

I'm genuinely surprised they were actually able to make me feel some degree of sympathy for Technical Boy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

All the talk of "i was your only friend" made me think he was that universe's version of Myspace Tom. He had nobody in his life but Technical Boy, who gave him some sort of spark that allowed him to start whatever that business was. A facebook/social type company where he is your 'friend' by default. There was nothing supporting that really, just where my mind went.

I thought it was a reference to what a lot of programmers tend to do as kids getting started, getting a computer program to answer/greet them "Hello Friend"? It was just in this case, the program answering,"Hello Friend" was given form/divinity.

Ironically, another common phrase used is,"Hello World", and Mr. World is the guy who walks in and heralds the end of Technical Boy by giving his only friend a replacement God in New Media.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

I didn't really know what was going on with the new guy either, but in an enjoyable sort of way. I'm curious what's going to happen with him, I guess his name is CEO? He was obviously human and grew up human, and I thought gods just sort of poofed into existence. Is CEO going to become a god now, or just a useful tool for them. I'm not really asking because I'm not going to read the CIA document of book spoilers that will be the answer, just commenting on the episode.

He's just a human, but he's effectively in the role of High Priest/Prophet for Technical Boy (now New Media, but really Mr. World I guess).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This season would be redeemed if we got a "somewhere in America" with technical boy stuck in the last Radio Shack in America.

gently caress, that would be incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

precision posted:

I actually thought that episode was good :shrug:

Yeah, I really disliked episode 3 but I've quite enjoyed the last two.

One thing I was confused by though, I was under the impression that Wednesday locked Laura into Argus' stronghold when he left her behind, but apparently he just left while she stood there saying,"Don't leave without me!" and then she just... walked out by herself?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Busket Posket posted:

The alleyway scene between Wednesday and Donar was so goddamn cheesy that I thought I was watching a CW show.

Yeah, I absolutely loved the episode right up to that point where it went right off a goddamn cliff. The NOOOOOO! was unintentionally hilarious, and this was all I could think of during the sad song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2KxU0koTfA

Re: Technical Boy being that old, it makes perfect sense but put me down as one of those who figured his creation/origin happened when that kid spent so much time/attention on marrying technology and creativity that he manifested into reality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JustinMorgan posted:

Right. I assumed that from the Rosie the Riveter poster in her room. But what god is she? Is there a Norse god of Freedom?

She was "America", the personification of the spirit of the country. Because she'd been displaced by the Statue of Liberty she was basically slumming it with the other Gods trying to get what attention/worship they could from the customers. The reason she kept pushing to head out West is because she thought the frontier mindset would still be present out there and she'd be able to do well. Instead she ends up doing a deal to temporarily regain her top spot via war propaganda.

I assume the voice on the other end of the line to Telephone Boy was Mr. World making an early play to repurpose the Gods to his own ends.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

precision posted:

I think Telephone Boy was talking to someone else, otherwise why even keep it ambiguous?

Based on Wednesday's suspicious look, I assume he was either unaware or only getting the first inklings that there was another God out there attempting to run things/take his spot as the patriarch. Letting Donar be used by the Nazis in exchange for a return to power, as well as how enthusiastically he supported Telephone Boy's offer to Columbia (not just because she was a threat to himself) was pretty distinct from his clear distaste for the same thing in the modern day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

An entire episode devoted to exploring a character that had never been introduced, discussed nor who will likely ever matter again.

I can only speak for myself, but I have to say that the mere fact that Odin is in this show immediately made me question where Thor and Loki are, and they've seemed notable by their absence to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd either forgotten or never noticed Low-Key in the first episode, yep.

Guilty posted:

Edit: Donar in the latest episode.

That's who I was referring to (it is another name for Thor), in response to MiddleOne's post saying they didn't think anybody would have had any interest in such a large chunk of the episode being devoted to a character who hadn't been in the show up to that point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I enjoyed that episode and I dug that the curse on Sweeney meant even he couldn't keep his own history straight since it had been co-opted and filtered through Christianity so they get all the worship for themselves. His own belief in their power (which he was trying to resist coming into Ireland) is what gave them power, and it is ironic that his wife's pleading that he join forces with the Church rather than stand against him basically parallels what Mr. World is trying to do now in the modern day.

I actually really dug him sending Odin's spear to the Hoard as one last gently caress you after Wednesday continually poo poo on him/treated him like he was nothing. He died as in the prophecy (I wonder if a God who believes he is dead is enough to ensure he stays dead regardless of the belief of others?) but he got to go out on his own terms knowing he finally got one over on Wednesday.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had the opposite read. The broadcast whipped up a public panic in the same way that War of the Worlds did. It was another example of the new Gods taking something old and putting a fresh twist on it, only this time instead of being aimed at aliens from another planet it was aimed at terrorist "others" jeopardizing their way of life. They made the people believe Shadow and Salim were bad guys and the power of that belief would see them brought down (Wednesday was always safe, it seemed) until Shadow wiped away the very real police somehow and the wave of hysteria-reinforced belief crashed. Just like it did when people were told the War of the Worlds was simply a radio broadcast they'd misinterpreted.

Edit: Anyway the season itself was a real mixed bag. There were plenty of individual episodes I liked, a couple I really disliked, and overall the whole season felt like a bunch of disconnected parts rather than a complete whole. I'm gonna assume next season will be the last because I imagine that'll be what the main cast were contracted for.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 9, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

Season 3 casting stuff
Mr. World is being recast

Jesus Christ. Unless they cast Jeffrey Weissman this is a colossal waste.

Edit: Oh, reading the link I see that the character has been recast as a woman, I had assumed that Ms. World was going to be his partner or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah yeah fiscal responsibility and all that, but Bryan Fuller makes incredible television and should be allowed to keep doing that, because he's really loving good at it.

Mierenneuker posted:

You're a loving rear end in a top hat, Dead Show.

:kiss:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just read that the show's also fired the Djinn and the Taxi Driver, so the poo poo storm only continues to swirl.

Oh my loving God. I mean, I'd probably happily watch a show of Ian McShane sitting in an empty room talking to himself but that's not what this show was supposed to be!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think they were referring to Fuller. His firing had nothing to do with him being queer, though.

I believe the official, on-record reason for why he was fired was to specifically make me, Jerusalem, personally upset.

They succeeded :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God they don't even have the NEW Media?

Show's dead, :rip:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Can you change the thread title because it really deserves it

Not a mod in TVIV, sorry.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

We were all so much happier in the beginning of this thread :smith:

Jerusalem posted:

Episode 8 is the finale!?! Noooooo!

I want more!

Sadly we never got any more :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had three voicemails when I got up this morning. One congratulating me on being the new showrunner of American Gods, the second asking me if I'd like to be new showrunner on American Gods, and the third informing me my services as showrunner of American Gods were no longer required.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

Still this is bad enough that the new guy is probably toast too.

It happened under the old showrunner yeah, but the new one is the guy who told Orlando (or just the world in general and Orlando had to read it like everybody else) that "being angry" isn't productive for black characters and that as a middle-aged white man he was the one who could best write from a black male perspective.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remember how Bryan Fuller was the showrunner in the first season, and then the studio decided they knew better than him how to make a good show? Starting to get the vaguest suspicion that maybe this was a poor decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Give Bryan Fuller the money, Network, you'd make me - some guy you don't know - happy :colbert: