Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

NeurosisHead posted:

I know they just nerfed Valeera way hard, but I kept one shut down in QM when I was seeing how Uther plays. It was really gratifying.

They didn't really nerf her that hard. Coldblood was good but it's a 20 talent so it doesn't affect that much of the game. Same with the DFA range nerf; DFA is a later talent so it doesn't affect the early game so much. The Evis change does make it so that she can't just DFA->Flurry -> Evis -> Dead anymore. You have to do another skill or two to finish them which isn't that big of a difference. Now some of them might get an escape or a stun off and survive but most of them are still dead. A good Valeera is still going to make people cry all day long.

Uther is an absolute terror for her and other "gankers" now though. His rework is probably my favorite so far.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I tried him and he seemed like old uther with less buttons. Bad mana efficiency long cooldowns ect.

You have to play him a little differently now for maximum efficiency. Don't immediately top people off unless you know you'll have time of HL to cooldown before the next fight. Throw HL on whoever is getting hit at the start of the fight for the heal + damage reduction. Radiance everyone when multiple people are taking damage but try and save it until you get the +healing talent. When you have that talent open with Radiance and use HL to heal whoever is being focused after that mitigation wears off. The damage reduction is pretty huge and keeps people alive much better than topping everyone off.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Wait, why are we taking resurrect now over crystal?

Resurrect is pretty good now that it doesn't require channeling.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I guess I'm in the minority but I like the boost destruct quite a lot. You can toss it behind enemies to cut off their escape/disrupt boss or throw it at a keep as a bomb. It makes it a great zoning tool while not putting you at any risk.

Also if you take the instant mech talent at 20, you can can use that to knock enemies back into the explosion. It's probably not as good as some of the other 20 talents but it's hilarious knocking someone who just got out of the explosion back into it at the last second and watching them die.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I told someone that he should probably stay in lane to soak instead of constantly rotating and letting the other team push and farm freely. His response:

Why do mobas always have the most toxic people?

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 25, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

TwoWordName posted:

I had an Illidan in QM last night that seemed genuinely angry that I took gorge on Stitches outside of ranked They were pretty furious about a lot of things considering they quit contributing after losing the first tribute fight but that's the first time I've seen someone mad about the ultimate that makes getting picks easier? :confused:

A lot of guides recommend Bile so everyone thinks that is gospel and gorge is a niche pick. I generally see them opposite. Bile is a good pick when you need to peel or have situations that would let you get high value out of it.

Gorge on the other hand can be fantastic for picking enemies, interrupting ults, or just heavily disrupting team fights. Once you get 20, Hungry, Hungry Stitches makes it much better than Bile because of the damage and displacemental for their whole team.

I can see people hating Gorge because there are lots of bad Stitches out there who totally screw their team over with Gorge. Gorging someone who will likely die anyway is a waste and might delay or prevent an easy kill. Gorging someone like Uther or ETC with a PBAOE might kill your whole team. Most Stitches Hook + Gorge the first target they see regardless of whether it is a good idea. Gorging someone who you can't kill after the Gorge or who taking out of the fight doesn't make a significant impact on the outcome is a complete waste. So I get the hate for the ultimate because on a bad Stitches, it is a terrible pick that might kill your team.

I almost always take Gorge but don't Hook + Gorge unless I am 100% sure it is going to help me get them to a place where the team can isolate and kill them. Otherwise, I save it for interrupting and disrupting the team fight or peeling.

Fuzz posted:

This already told you everything you needed to know about that player.

Also this. He was probably pissed that you kept him from mindlessly hitting something.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 25, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Cuntellectual posted:

Doesn't nanoboost just increase ability damage?

Also gives +150% cooldown recharge. This can be absolutely disgusting on some heroes with already short cooldowns.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah and you can do Divert Power + the talent that gives move speed when your shield is down + basic attacks recharge shield. So your shield is just back up pretty quick anyway and if you got in trouble from using Divert Power well just walk away.

edit: Of course I've only tried him in AI because the regular queues are gigantic so maybe it sucks against real folks.

That's pretty much the way to go. Add to that the 15% damage when you have a shield and the extra damage when moving between attacks. You hit like a truck and no one can run away.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Yes he is. It will be interesting to see how they fix him too because almost all of his talents in each tier are can be some flavor of ridiculous. Level 4 is a good example. Rejuv and shielding are both solid and go really well with bottomless flask. Free mana restore and shielding at 20. If you pick ruby though you poo poo out full heals once you get perfect gems. Once horadric in a team fight can be a full heal on most of your team.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

bamhand posted:

From what I've seen you dive Cain and then you're stuck inside a big triangle. And then you get dogpiled and die. Sometimes you are able to kill Cain in this process.

Pretty much. And if he goes Ruby/Perfect Gems he probably heals to full 2-3 times and laughs while his team kills you.

Edit: Here's the clip. Less ridiculous than I remember but still way too strong.

https://gfycat.com/ParchedImmediateAiredaleterrier

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 27, 2018

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Man, the Azmo rework feels like it should be cool. Lots of neat new talents and the questions changing globe in different ways is interesting in theory. The execution is a loving wet fart. Too slow, too little damage and awful ults. Wrath/Bombardment can feel really good in a teamfight if you have enough peel and they don't kick the poo poo out of you but that's a real edge case.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Uther needs to be played more like a hybrid frontline and less of a pure healer. Save your heals for when people are being hit to take advantage of the mitigation. Don’t do too much healing in between fights unless you know you have plenty of mana and will have cds up when a fight starts. You need to soak some hits too to take advantage of selfless healer.

Ideally for you, the enemies will try to focus you or split between you and a dps. You can kite, peel and mitigate while your team takes them down. If you aren’t melee’ing as Uther, you aren’t doing it right. I tend to be very aggressive as Uther but I’m also very selective about what games I pick him. He’s not a good all purpose healer like malf.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
He definitely feels dated being one of the first heroes. He has had two major reworks and frequently straddles the unbalanced line. He was over-represented as a healer in competitions up until this last year.

In early alpha he was the really squishy and more of a full healer. Then some changes to holy shock made him the #1 poo poo-kicked burst dps. You could 100-0 just about any assassin during the course of one stun rotation. When he first got the latest rework he was stupidly tanky and a better frontliner than some full tanks while being able to dish out massive heals.

Over the last year he has come down in power and lots of heroes do exactly what he does better. Many of his talents feel like they were made into full hero concepts that are just better: Heal on hit - Kharazim; Holy Shock - Alex’s Fireball (or really Whitemane now); Highly Survivable more strategic healer with heavy CC - Cain. Even Yrel has taken some of his flare. She’s exactly what Uther should have been; a self-healing warrior with heavy cc and limited team heals.

He’s probably due for a refresh along with Valla, Samuro, Illidan, and Kerrigan.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Abathur + Mal'ganis is old Abathur + Illidan levels of ridiculous. Giant stack of unkillable hp and damage when he's hatted. Wrecks teamfights when cloned and goes 2v5.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Ana is also an incredibly powerful partner for Malg. Double sleep is very cheap and grenade makes him a beast.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Accretionist posted:

Raynor. He is a lawn mower.

Raynor’s infinite stacking on Marksman can win games single-handed. He feels like a league snowballing hero that somehow made his way into hots.

I was playing a game with him last night on Braxis and we were behind significantly. I had died a bunch. They had KT, ETC, Malg, and Auriel. But I had 80 stacks. They got cocky and came at me one at a time during a team fight starting with the tanks. Both tanks got melted first before that could Cc me. KT died in two hits from a back to back Pepper (4 stack + trait activation from 16). We pushed straight to the core. They rezzed before we got there and faced the same near instant death again.

You have to either CC Raynor to death or end the game quickly. If you let him get 20 and get really stacked it’s over. I fully expect there to be some rebalancing here at some point because he is way too good in long games.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Orphea owns imho.

What build are folks going?

I've been doing:

1: Ancestral
4: Allegrissimo
7: Insatiable
10: Jaws
13: Determination
16: Bond of Anguish
20: Eldritch

Pretty much this but I’ll swap 4 and 13 around. The slow on E can be situational good of you have other people on your team with AoE CC to take advantage of it. The backdash on Chomp would be good if it was a choice and not automatic. It only took me backdashing into death once to decide never to take it again.

Everything at 13 is situationally good. Symbiosis is a very strong counter to heroes who solo dive you. Miasma is a counter in a group ambush.

Even without stacking, Orphea is ludicrously strong especially on maps with chokepoints like Shrines and Cursed Hollow. A good stun ult + double chomp can wipe most of a team.

Silence does absolutely wreck her though. Butcher and Alarak are very strong against her. Zeratul is also a strong counter with Q/blink.

Orphea is an absolute pub stomp. More skilled players can avoid her bullshit and absolutely shut her down (if you dodge the Q, she is much weaker). But you specifically have to counter play against her. I think she will get balanced down in the next few patches to be closer to Alarak: an absolute monster with a good player, a wet noodle with a bad player. Her play style is honestly very much like a more ranged Alarak but before the numerous nerfs.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

I said come in! posted:

Blizzard is pretty intent on being greedy with their free to play games. Hearthstone, and Heroes compared to other games in their genres, are not at all generous in giving you content to enjoy. As the saying goes, the most expensive games are free to play, and Blizzard takes that to an extreme.

No? HotS is cheaper than most other Mobas and you can get skins and heroes via chests.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

I said come in! posted:

lol this is absolute bullshit. The chests are a total scam because Loot Chests by their very nature are gambling, but also because they are intentionally designed to almost always give you 1 or 2 duplicates. I still have hundreds of cosmetic items to unlock and still get duplicates, completely unacceptable for how much left I still have to earn.

On a scale of offense, HotS chests are at the very bottom (so are Overwatch’s). Many, many other games out there have chests which provide actually gameplay advantages such as addition stats or special gambling only character (every EA game). I’m totally fine with an optional, cosmetic only chest (which can rarely contain heroes) that you early relatively quickly. Loot chests that are mandatory to gain in game power are a loving cancer on gaming.

In addition to the chests, you get gold quickly and there are some cheap heroes that are comparable to cheap LoL heroes. Compare both of these to Arena of Valor will take weeks to buy the cheapest heroes. The currency for heroes in both AoV and LoL is also shared with a stat enhancing rune system.

Hots really isn’t bad at all. Most cosmetics and all heroes are obtainable with no real money. There are cheap hero options. There are quests and level bonuses to move things along. You don’t have to spend currency on power enhance items. Loot boxes contain no real power enhancing items.

Are any loot boxes, even cosmetic only, kind of lovely? Sure. Would it be better to never earn duplicates or just earn shards directly in larger volumes to craft what you want? Yep. Are HotS or Overwatch anywhere near the worse examples of this? Not at all.

There’s a great video about loot boxes that came up about this in the Diablo Immortal thread that’s relevant: https://youtu.be/PTLFNlu2N_M

All the complaints about WoW services and pricing model above are spot on. It is very bad compared to its biggest competitor and most American MMOs. HotS really isn’t though. It’s average at worst and better in many ways. Most of the rest of the industry is worse and more pay to win.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Since the announcement it feels like the playerbase abandoned hots. I've had the worst games I've ever played with the worst teammates. Every game has become a 100% stomp one side or the other with no good close games. Even the wins just don't feel good.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I played 4 games where 3 were stomps one way or the other. Also I guess they rolled back the QM changes because 3 of my games either didn't have a tank or healer. One had a Varian, who of course, being the only warrior/tank on the team, went Twin Blades and proceeded to die the most and then complain.

Yep, quick match is instant grab bag of what the gently caress ever is in the queue. The rules seem even more relaxed than they were a few patches ago.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

PantsBandit posted:

I'm a bit out of the loop, did Alarak get a big buff or something? That obnoxious SOB is in every game it feels like.

His not-as-good talents got buffed, but no one good picks those. His overperforming talent got a pretty substantial nerf but it's still the standout. Even with the nerf he's still a monster if played well. Displacement, silence, high ranged damage with heals, two great ults, and the best blink or rewind at level 20.

I'm about to hit 100 with him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Chen is still king poo poo for bullying and displacing. Yolo in and give zero fucks about dying, roll the healer or assassin right into your whole team or a corner. Laugh while you shield yourself and your whole team from damage.