Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The last couple of months have been pretty nuts for big releases! Actually, holy poo poo, this whole year has been! So naturally, things are a bit quieter this month, with only a couple of big AAA bangers, a few larger-scale indies, and some ports and some other stuff that might be good but also sadly might not be good. E3's next month, though, so consider this the calm before the storm (the storm is a bunch of posting about videogames with varying levels of seriousness)

THINGS THAT ARE OUT WITHIN THE NEXT 31 DAYS OR SO IF GOOGLE ISN'T LYING TO ME
Prey: May 5
Birthdays: The Beginning: May 9
LocoRoco Remastered: May 9
Strafe: May 9
The Surge: May 13
Injustice 2: May 16
Fire Emblem Echoes: May 19
Darksiders, but for Wii U for some reason: May 23
Disgaea 5, but on Switch: May 23
Friday the 13th: May 26
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2: May 26 (June 1 on PC)
Rime: May 26
Ultra Street Fighter 2: May 26
Don't Starve, But For Consoles: May 30

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The OP should just be an image of Mei from Overwatch

Grapplejack posted:

good games only please
I GISed for "videogames may" and got a stock photo of a kid with no neck playing Pacman Championship Edition DX, which is a really good videogame, regardless of whether or not you have a neck. So here you go.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Snak posted:

Are you fuckin' serious? no The Surge??!?!?!?!?

I'm just kidding! I'm not mad! don't sad! I'm sorry
Thought I forgot something!

I also didn't add the Star Trek VR game because VR is 'spensive

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Considering we're talking about a Kickstarter that dedicates a chunk of the Q&A portion of its description to the hows and whens of releasing a post-release dirty-pictures patch, I'd suggest a reasonably-high tier where you DON'T get your name in the credits.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

On a less yea/nay stance I ask: what game that wasn't put out this year have you guys been enjoying most so far? Or do you folks here play exclusively new releases?

On my end I've been chained to Euro Truck Sim 2 again as it's soothing and great for podcasts, but I've also been dipping my toes into wargames with Panzer Corp and Ultimate General: Gettysburg. (Mostly 'cause I've been listening to a strategy game podcast and it convinced me to check these out.) I'm really, really bad at winning battles or wars, but it's fun to try, and I appreciate how easy these games are to pick up and play for a newbie.
Outside of this year's releases... I play and mod Doom 2 a lot because at this point it's basically routine, but outside of that I tend to play a few rounds of Tower of Archeos whenever I'm waiting for something or other. I'm starting to get a bit sick of it after 20 hours or so logged on Steam, mind... I might have to
play something else to take a break from it, go on a Tetris kick or something.

What are some other simple 'n' cheap puzzle games that came out recently? Preferably on PC. I mean, I could do mobile games, but the last thing I wanna do when I'm sitting at home is deal with "OH NO YOU LOST BUT IF YOU PRETEND TO WATCH THIS CONVENIENT AD WE'LL GIVE YOU A CONTINUE" nonsense. That poo poo's for busses and trains.

suuma posted:

That seems silly, you'd think they'd continue to produce them in limited quantities until they reach market saturation. Or farm it out to another producer.
If I had to pull a guess out of my rear end, I'd say that the cost of continued manufacture probably doesn't make it worth it, for one reason or another.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

There is one on iOS at least re: Faster Than Light.
iOS FTL is iPad only last I checked, because making that UI usable by humans on a phone-size touchscreen was too big an ask.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This new version of Facade looks kinda weird.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Chet Faliszek just left Valve, hopefully he can apply his comedy writing somewhere that actually makes games.

mutata posted:

Wow, so that era of Valve is well and truly dead. It ended years ago, but this was the last confirmation that it's permanent that I needed.
Chet hasn't really been primarily a writer for a while, I don't think. He's been flying around the world being the friendly, hairy public face of SteamVR.

Someone asked him on Twitter if there were any writers left at Valve, and he named Jay Pinkerton (Portal 2, TF2 updates, comic stuff) and Steve Jaros (Saints Row 3, 4 and Gat). So the Funny Guy Quota is well and truly filled, but I wonder if they're also handling the more serious stuff. I know Marc Laidlaw was doing the gleefully overwrought Dota lore for a few years...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

oddium posted:

does the bomb give them energy or something. i didn't finish fallout 3
No, it's just sitting there in a radioactive puddle in the centre of town. But a group of like five people worship it as a holy artifact of something or other, so I guess it stays.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

You know what I genuinely miss? Prerendered backgrounds. I'm sure it's nostalgia talking but I was always really fond of all the detail artists managed to cram into those in the Resident Evil/Parasite Eve heyday and while I don't find the pixel art trend as abhorrent as some, I kinda wish that someone would jumpstart a prerendered background revival.
It's something that you could do some pretty impressive stuff with that nowadays (especially if you used that trick Square loved back in the PS1 days where the background was an FMV so you could pan the camera around as the player moved). For an older example, look at Resident Evil 1's remake on Gamecube, which used pre-rendered/FMV graphics so as to allow for much higher-polygon characters than would normally be possible on the hardware.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mutata posted:

Yeah, there seems to be no compelling reason to play Champions over Quake Live
Less ADD-addled German savants who've played Quake 3 non-stop for the last 18 years insta-gibbing me from across the map on spawn. :colbert:

In Training posted:

It's crazy how long it takes between matches.
Really? It's only, like, a little over a minute here.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

I just mean the process after a match finishes. You have to look at the results for a while, and then it kicks you out to matchmaking again, then find a match, then have everyone ready up, and then play the 60 second warm up thing, and then it starts. In the past a game ended, a new map loaded and boom you're back to fragging
You can hit ESC the moment that end-of-game top-three cutscene pops up to start heading back to the menu.

Yeah, the loading when going back to the UI needs work. Hopefully they work on that. For now, though, I just get up to pee and/or refill my mug.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Putting Pineapple on a Veggie Burger: The Incredible True Story of Billy No-Mates

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

Are burgers sandwiches?
This has no single answer, it differs depending on where you live.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, a burger is cooked or fried while a sandwich is either uncooked or toasted.

Now, if you wanna get into whether hotdogs are sandwiches, things are gonna get hairy...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've been playing way too much Streets of Rogue lately. For a pixelart indie early access game with procgen elements, I'm really enjoying it and hope the next world gets added soon.

In the meantime, I've started cranking up the difficulty using the mutators for laughs. Turns out it's really hard to progress in a game where everyone hates you in particular and has a Rocket Launcher?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to a lecture jointly held by Epic Games and Nintendo, a publicly available Switch development kit is in the works, and they're aiming for a price-tag of less than US$500. So, look forward to a few cool indie Switch games and a whoooole lotta Meme Runs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

It's an irrational reaction
Heh.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As it turns out, there's a reason certain games-related threads are exiled to the podcasts forum.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mass Effect is now apparently "on hiatus" and Bioware Montreal converted into a much smaller support studio. That was quick.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/862638504114835459

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Absolution has been $1 multiple times on top of being in multiple Humble Bundles. I'm pretty sure they even gave it away for free at one point.
From Wikipedia:

quote:

Release: 20 November 2012

quote:

As of March 2013, the game has sold over 3.6 million copies.
This was well before it became Bundle Fodder.

Tenzarin posted:

What happened to Tom Clancy's The Division? Did people stop playing it?
The last I heard of it, they announced a second """season""" of content that wasn't a proper season and was instead a bunch of free fluffy stuff, and people were not happy. And then the devs got sucked down the Marvel hole. Alas.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Alan Wake is going away because the licensed music the game uses is expiring.

https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/863012017833218049

Buy this game and American Nightmare. Please. I implore you. You owe it to yourself to play this game before you miss your chance to do so while still giving back to the developers. Both games have been cracked six ways from sunday and they will be around forever, but you'll only have one more chance to support Remedy for making such an incredible and unique game series.
American Nightmare will stay on sale, since Remedy negotiated the music licenses for that themselves.

They hope to bring Wake back to digital shelves at some point, but it's out of their hands so they don't want to give a timeframe.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Has there been any word on what vlambeer is up to these days? Maybe some surprise announcement at E3?
From the sounds of things they've just been kind of doing solo projects for a while. JW the programmer and Jukio the Nuclear Throne composer have been working on Minit, an adventure game played a minute at a time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So this is kinda cool: Activision paid Yoji Shinkawa, the awesome concept artist on the Metal Gear series, to draw some Call of Duty stuff for a PS4 theme.

It's nice to see some new art from him without having to wait another five years for Death Stranding, and the end results are pretty cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Alpha Protocol is many things, but "a major IP" is not one of them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I mean we live in a day and age when Yoko Taro gets to collaborate on a game with Platinum and Shenmue 3 is in development so I'm just gonna say that Alpha Protocol 2 isn't a fantasy that's completely outside the realm of possibility. Hell, it may be more plausible than Beyond Good & Evil 2 at this point.
Yoko Taro was the Special Favourite Boy of certain Square-Enix execs (including, at one point, their CEO), which is why he kept getting work with them despite a lack of non-cult success until very recently. Alpha Protocol is a bit of a different situation where I'm pretty sure the relationship between Obsidian and Sega wasn't great even during development.

Also, Avellone doesn't work at Obsidian anymore. Which doesn't help matters, let's be honest here.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I assume with the brilliant decisions Sega has been making with Yakuza and the PlatinumGames that some there must have been some shakeups in the past few years
If you're talking about the western releases of the Yakuza games, those were bankrolled by Sony. If it weren't for that (and for some extra localisation muscle from the Atlus acquisition), the localisation process would just be too expensive for how much they were expecting it to sell outside of Japan. (That Yakuza 0 exceeded those expectations and was very successful is a very pleasant surprise, and probably doesn't hurt the chances of future games coming here!)

With Platinum, if you mean the PC ports, that'd be driven by Sega Europe, who handle basically all the PC and Steam stuff. Doesn't hurt that Platinum's really into Steam, of course...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Any opinions on The Surge? People are saying it's another It's Like Dark Souls game but I want to hear deeper opinions than that before my 1,500 hours in the Souls games pushes me to buy it any further
I watched a Twitch streamer play an advance press copy a few days ago. It looked like it had a lot of Eurojank. For example, a conversation with an NPC where it kept interrupting (and skipping) its own lines of dialogue with AI barks.

I liked the sound design on the enemies, though. Filtered, vocoded screams of rage.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

But yeah poo poo like that is what almost killed fighting games already once.

Sefal posted:

Stuff like that validated people waiting for a revision of a fighting game
Capcom tried to fix this with Street Fighter 5 and its weird season stuff, but the problem was that they applied it to Street Fighter 5.

I've been playing a lot of Streets of Rogue recently, but they recently added a new world that's completely kicking my rear end because it's very different than the first two, which were very grid-based/building oriented. The new world is very open, so there's not a lot of places to run and hide if a fight goes south, and where there is, a Cannibal is usually hiding out there already.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm looking forward to having 20 different launchers/clients - all for different publishers - sitting in my taskbar at once, and dealing with the Bethesda.net Launcher for the Quake beta has made me even more comfortable that this is the one true good future that is Best For The Platform.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Years ago every individual game had its own launcher, when you had to put the CD in your disc drive to play the game as basic copy protection. Time is a flat circle, and we return to the old ways. The dream of unifying everything under one banner, like most utopian dreams of empire, was never something that could really become a reality. What we have now follows the trends across all social structures in late capitalism
Does anyone know how I can get a refund from the StarForce Launcher?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Was it the original Wasteland that had something where it'd tell you to turn to a specific page for the copy protection thing, but the book containing said copy protection stuff had its own stories that never showed up in the actual game in order to uh...do something?

I don't know. I remember reading on these forums about some game that had copy protection and they made it so you couldn't just read through the book to get the info on the game because there were events in the book that never happened in the game like alien stuff or something, idk
Certain conversations important to game progression were kept in a book that came with the game. At certain points, the game would tell you to look up Paragraph X, sort of like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, instead of play out the conversation in the game itself.

The book was filled with paragraphs for non-existent plotlines and other red herrings to mess with people trying to "read ahead", along with a few that called you out for trying to read the book from start to finish like some kind of crazy person.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was a leak recently on Reddit from someone who participated in a focus group session last year, that this tease jives with. Here's a relevant snippet:

quote:

The idea of doing it in Montana was the predominant idea -- like many of you, we were kind of led to believe at first that it would be a Wild West motif, just to see what we thought of that idea -- but that changed when they started to show us character profiles and other collateral. The general thrust of this game is that it will take place in present day, and feature the protagonist taking on a Jim Jones or David Koresh-like religious cult in a small town in Montana that's been populated by, essentially, Doomsday-preppers bent on furthering their cause. So, modern-day weaponry and modern-day vehicles, plus a hilly, mountainous backdrop. Honestly, it sounded at the time like they were using that to their advantage, given that when you think of Far Cry you kind of think of mountains and hills and the kind of backdrop Montana has in spades.

They showed us some basic promotional videos featuring a heavily -- HEAVILY -- religious angle to the evil. A person (presumably the protagonist) walking through a town that was completely empty, only to walk into a church to discover the congregation is made up of everyone in town staring in rapt attention at a shirtless lunatic leader brandishing an assault rifle in one hand and a Bible in the other. Even at the time, I wondered how they were going to handle the presentation of religious zealotry to the type of Middle America that purchases games for their kids. If they proceed on the path that I saw... they're not even trying to pretend. They're steering the vehicle into the curve.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

If you had posted this about 10 years ago I might have agreed but I think game writing has come a long way, and the best examples of it are on par in terms of quality and character development with any other entertainment media. This is one aspect where I think game enthusiasts are way too hard on themselves. There are a lot of inventive and just plain solid narratives being written for games now. It's a great time.
Whoosh!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I can't tell what's real anymore in Trump's America, the largest fakepost of them all.
Just pretend your post was one of those hypersincere whatevers Lurkiak was going on about. I think that's what he was talking about? It didn't involve turning a Vulkan Cannon on flesh-eating mutants so I just kind of skimmed it as I scrolled past.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I just booted up The Pinball Arcade for the first time in ages, and it gave me an achievement for getting a high-score on a table that I don't own and have never played.

The Pinball Arcade is a very well programmed videogame.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The PC version is also getting a release in Japan. No, I don't know why it waited a year after the western release. Probably legal stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

What were they going for when they designed the rabbids
The first concept sketch was done in MSPaint.

This is all you need to know.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

Peace walker is the worst metal gear and that's really bad considering how awful mgs4 is
Portable Ops. :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KingSlime posted:

what's the new vs old content breakdown like with sonic mania?

i wish it was all fresh new levels because the new stages they showed off look slick >:[
Of the five zones shown publicly so far, two are new and three are "remixes" of old zones that go off the reservation halfway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Even though I'll probably tune out as soon as E3 starts, I made a June thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822248
And with that, we can put this one to bed.

• Locked thread