Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Scylo posted:

Seriously. I read the polygon review before I saw it, and afterwards I was just unsure how they wrote that piece. I guess if it was the only piece of WWI media you'd ever seen?

There's not a huge amount of WW1 media. I mean, currently, there's a computer game, which boils down a hellish conflict into "Throw grenades at zeppelins while you're on a horse" and there's a few horror movies set in the trenches, but with the war being as awful and pointless as it was, and having a bigger budget sequel, it doesn't lend itself to popular media very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RedSpider posted:

Maybe they're afraid to be called sexist or something

Yes, this is definitely a thing that bothers people and definitely affects behaviour.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

The former is unethical but it's also the end of a story in which Superman realizes he can't be Lois' and the world's at the same time, and she understands that and it's killing her inside, and it's kind of sad. I think you can disagree with his decision there but there is implicitly an element of "this is a bummer". It just doesn't hammer on that.

So he roofies her for her own good, and they breeze past the sad stuff, and that's better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"

A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgűl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."

A sword rang as it was drawn. "Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."

"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. "But no living man am I! You are looking upon a woman. Eowyn am I, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him."
The winged creature screamed at her, but then the Ringwraith was silent, as if in sudden doubt. Very amazement for a moment conquered Merry's fear. He opened his eyes and the blackness was lifted from them. There some paces from him sat the great beast, and all seemed dark about it, and above it loomed the Nazgul Lord like a shadow of despair. A little to the left facing them stood whom he had called Dernhelm. But the helm of her secrecy had fallen from her, and and her bright hair, released from its bonds, gleamed with pale gold upon her shoulders. Her eyes grey as the sea were hard and fell, and yet tears gleamed in them. A sword was in her hand, and she raised her shield against the horror of her enemy's eyes.”
― a hack

That was written in 1954. Expectations change.

Also, yeah, Tolkien was kind of a lovely writer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

or if they had've taken a bit of time earlier in the film to point out the clusterfuck of alliances and situations that led to so many people killing each other over nothing.

Dan Carlin spent three hours giving a bare bones account of how the war started, good loving luck getting that into a single movie scene.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Were the old ways getting crushed? For every Amazon that got killed they must have killed three Germans with their LOTR skills.

Yeah, but that's peope who've spent a lifetime training vs random Germans, who can easily be replaced by more Germans.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

parcs posted:

but i mean the film does not deserve an imdb score of 8.2. another film with an imdb score of 8.2 is Heat, and this film is nowhere near the quality and caliber of Heat.

Holy poo poo, someone who's actually worried about the IMDB score of a movie five minutes after it comes out. I thought this phenomenon died out years ago.

They're always high early on, then it dissipates. There's no need to worry about which number is next to a film on a website.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, people embraced and hugged when the war stopped in real life, too. poo poo, they stopped fighting at christmas until the officers instituted new rules to prevent that happening.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

I still think that was a dirrect allusion to The Christmas Truce/Miracle. I dont see how they could not have intended that.

It was, but it was also an allusion to the actual end of the war, when a bunch of people who weren't sure why they were fighting got to stop.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Since Ww got a floating Christ pose just like Superman, I'm really hoping Aquaman, flash and cyborg all get similar shots and Batman's the only guy without one.

Batman is Paul. He even gets a vision on the road to Damascus. He fucks it up though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Zack Snyder's action scenes rule, I'm not sure how anyone comes to another conclusion, especially when the competition is poo poo like Civil War. Zack Snyder made Abbie Cornish not just a plausible action hero, but pushed her hard enough in training that she could perform one of the slickest on screen reloads I've seen.

Wonder Woman is a notch below that, which is fine. Snyder has been doing elaborate action scenes in his films for 13 years now. He's had a long time to polish his style. Patty Jenkins has not.

The movie was really good. I wish it had been a little longer, since everything up to the ball feels a bit rushed, since there's just so much to get through. Same issue as Captain America.

I also like that immediately after we're told the armistice was engineered to be untenable by a man masquerading as a British diplomat, we smash cut to people waving British flags. Nationalism is alive and well, and that's Ares ultimate victory.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

movie really could have done without gal gadot breaking character and delivering a ten minute monologue on the moral righteousness of settlements in gaza

What?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BobKnob posted:

I think he even had a "bad guy laugh" moment at some point?

He did, and it was awesome.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Nah, they're all great and badass in their own ways, but the women are regularly positioned as strong, kick rear end leaders.

On a show with literally dozens of fans.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Judakel posted:

I mean, Marvel certain has gotten comic book films right.

They've certainly accurately recreated the 'this is totally important, and will really matter later on only for it to very much not matter later on' part of comics

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

My problem with Wonder Woman is the thing I'm still thinking about is his how the heck history still happened roughly the same way if Ludendorff and Hindenberg are dead, which is a really lame takeaway.

Well, one of the themes of the movie is that war is a bigger problem than any one man.

I hope there's a sequel that does something with Hitler, since he's an even better idea of 'if we'd just stopped him' when he was the symptom of a much bigger problem.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

404notfound posted:

The movie almost doesn't even pass the Bechdel test, once we get out of Themyscira. There was the brief "trying on outfits" scene between Diana and the secretary, but after that we don't even have female characters interacting with one another.

Stop bringing up the Bechdel test as some authority on a film's feminism. It's an especially strange film to use it as a criticism on, since the film unambiguously passes it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I always preferred the lamp test, invented by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

Replace the female lead with a sexy lamp. Does the film change?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I'ma be honest, I never understood how that test is supposed to work. Are these some sort of...sentient sexy lamps that can move from place to place and carry a conversation? Do leading men like Tom Cruise and Christian Bale know that they're speaking to faceless lamp creatures from some hellish dimension and kissing them and loving them, Clive Barker-style? 'Cuz right now I'm imagining an island filled with nothing but sexy lamps who train and ride horses and are ruled by the Lamp Queen who hosed Zeus and begat a precocious Lamp Princess.

Well, that's the point. The amazonians do things. A lamp does not. A half assed lady character does not. It merely exists and is moved around at the behest of other characters.

Princess Leia couldn't be a lamp, since a lamp could not rescue the heroes moments after herself being rescued. The complete non entity of a female lead in Jurassic World could totally be swapped with a lamp, and the only change would be that it would need help smearing itself in dino poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a solid movie, but more than that, it's a case of right place, right time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

$3 million on TV ads for WW is a pittance. so didn't put that much $$$ behind advertising Suicide Squad compared to other movies, it was a cheap move for Vanity Fair to draw that comparison.

No one watches TV anymore, dude. Maybe they're just realising it's money they don't need to spend.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

On the topic of WW1 the campfire scene where Diana makes the comment about "strange thunder" and Chief tells her it's German guns reminded of a story my grandparents told me. They grew up on the Eastern Front and left for North America after the war. They said that it sounded like a constant thunderstorm in the distance from the guns. They said they knew the war had ended when one day the thunder stopped and there was silence.

It was one of the many good components of Saving Private Ryan, that 'thunder' is in the background of the entire movie.

Yes, I do know that that was a different war.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

In fairness to Wonder Woman's action petering out in quality towards the end as compared to the Superman movies, some of that is presumably from Man of Steel and Batman v Superman having an extra $75-100 million in budget. Suicide Squad had $25 million more than WW and had no good action, so it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Presumably Wonder Woman 2 will have a bigger budget to work with and Patty Jenkins will have learned from the experience of having gotten to make a second movie, so it can be even better.

Also, directing action is really loving hard, as evidenced by how many completely mediocre action movies there are, even ones with big budgets. I mean, They're just hurling money at the MCU now and it hasn't produced one fight scene that's on par with, say, Batman vs Room full of thugs, or the Smallville fight. Snyder has had a decade and a half to refine his action directing skills. Jenkins has not.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Movie MCU or TV because Daredevil would like a word with you about the fight scenes.

Nah, even they're a significant step down from they're imitating (the Raid and Oldboy, mostly). The best fight fight scene is still loving languidly paced like most extended take fight scenes. Also, with action as a story telling device, he gets exhausted through the course of that scene, forcing him to fall back on his extremely acrobatic spin kicks, just like a tired person would. Honestly, I'm not even convinced it's better than Arrow's fight scenes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I gotta strongly disagree. Arrow's fights look like choreographed dance scenes at best. Lots of stupid, nonsensical flipping and obvious whiffs. Daredevil's fights had a brutality and weight to them Arrow has never touched. Agents of SHIELD has better (if fewer) fight scenes than Arrow.

Really, they just have different problems. Arrow cuts constantly, as if they have no faith in their actors' physical abilities (and those cuts make it impossible to tell if this is justified) Daredevil's tend to be really static. There's no footwork, there's no movement. Each little exchange or stanza takes place on a small square that both players are taped to. This is understandable, footwork is a hard thing for actual professional fighters to learn. Or they just drag out, as Daredevil wails on the guy (to emphasise brutality) while there's three more baddies just waiting.

Either way, they aren't even as good as the zero budget Indonesian and Thai films and mid-budgeted Korean films they're working very hard to emulate.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

I would place the freeway -> busy street -> Steve vs Bucky fight in Cap: Winter Solder above the BvS warehouse scene, though it's not truly a fair contest since the Winter Soldier one is more like multiple different scenes chained together really well. The BvS scene has a bit more clarity overall, but suffers a bit from the same issue as all the other Batman films where he, like, clearly isn't able to use his full bodily range of motion.

WW is actually great about this in that you can tell her costume allows full range of motion in all extremities.

So what I'm saying is that every character should wear a bustier and skirt from now on.

Can you be more specific about the range of motion issue? Because I think BvS is the one example of Batman fighting that actually figures out a way around it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Totally agree. Steven Amell was a guest wrestler in a WWE PPV against Stardust a year or so ago. A friend of mine, lifelong wrestling megafan who's never seen an episode of Arrow or even knew who Amell was claimed he was the best guest wrestler he's ever seen.

Amell (the lead, right? The one who definitely isn't Chris O'Donnell?) also showed up on Ninja Warrior and breezed through the course for charity. Whatever you think of him as an actor, he's a loving physical specimen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

Yeah, during the warehouse scene Batman looked pretty spry/nimble while being this giant, hulking bruiser/brawler. It was awesome.

My favourite thing about the scene was that it avoided the cliche whereby guys with guns run towards the hero so that he can punch them from where he is. Batman moves constantly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

The best is the guy who shoots him point blank in the back of the head, which does nothing but make him even more angry.

Yeah, Batman's annoyed but furious 'garrgh!' is amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

McCloud posted:

He basically reacted the same way I would when stubbing my toe or stepping on a lego.

I like that the movie manages to have the ultimate 'Batman as power fantasy' and 'Batman as troubled weirdo' scenes together in the same movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

It's many orders of magnitude better than the Nolan fights, mind you. They mostly make it work in BvS by sticking with the close-in, elbows tight, hunkered fistfighting that works for an armored combatant, but there are still various moments where maybe blows just a fraction longer to land or his joints bend just a few degrees less than they should. Tiny bits like that can make a huge difference, especially when they stack up over time, and makes it seem clear, to me at least, that the suit is still hindering him more than it isn't.

It's not exactly about him being bulky, either. If you watch pro wrestling, you see that all these brickhouses come across real flexible and all swinging limbs and light as feathers.

One of my favorite..."hits," I guess, in Wonder Woman is soon after she jumps into the upper room with those soldiers in it, and she swings her arm practically 360 degrees to konk a soldier in his helmet, knocking him flat. The arc of the blow really sells the momentum and impact of the hit because, when it comes to visualizing action, exaggeration is almost always better than subtlety. It's why one of the moments that usually come right to mind when people think of that BvS scene is Batman grabbing a dude, leaping over a crate, and then slamming that dude into the crate. Big arcs, big anticipation, big action, big reaction.

I've watched the scene a fair few times, and I still have no idea what you mean. Don't suppose you could show us a gif.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think they mean the bit around 0:37 here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klidfZG9oZQ

I knew the Wonder Woman scene he was referring to, but not the movements Batman shows off being restricted in.

howe_sam posted:

The salmon ladder is practically Arrow's signature training exercise at this point.

Is that the one who looks like Lucy Lawless? Carrying on Arrow's tradition of only hiring actors and actresses who look like other, more famous people?

I never really liked that scene. It's technically impressive, but you can see the seams, the way everyone has to telegraph their shots to allow Jaa a margin of error, or how you can almost sense everyone scurrying into position just off camera, or how Jaa walks really slowly to conserve energy. It's not even the best fight scene in the movie, but it's a great example of 'look what we can do' and it is impressive.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

'one shot scenes' are quickly catching up to 'cast a wrestler' as the internet's favourite things to demand from film makers.

Until you realise that even the best extended take fight scenes are a shadow of the best ones that aren't.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

He solves or attempts to solve every single problem throughout the movie with an action figure accessory.

Makes sense that the fight in the warehouse involves him using up or shedding his gadgets one by one, and fighting increasingly just with his skills and physicality.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm pretty sure is heavily implied the dirty bomb thing was just a lie Bruce told Alfred and that from the start Bruce was on the track of the Kryptonite.

Nah, it's a little weirder than that. He knows Luthor is bringing something in, however, he doesn't know what until he decodes the files he got off the Russian's phone (that actor, by the way, is in loving everything) but, weirdly, soon before the decryption finishes, he hallucinates the possible future where he's after the kryptonite, only to be tricked with a green lightbulb. So he knows what he's after in a dream before he actually finds out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ewen Bremner owns because he's had exactly the career that a less attractive Ewan McGregor would have, and that's more or less precisely what he is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

She just switches between "Wonder Fu" and "Wonder Goku" based on whichever thing would look cooler or be more considered more dramatically appropriate. So she has to dodge bullets, but she can also tank death rays from the Antichrist.

I guess it's no sillier than Tony Stark becoming immune to physics when he has the Iron Man suit on, or the Hulk jobbing whenever he goes rogue, or Captain America curling a helicopter. Everyone focuses their chi as appropriate to the situation. Every DC movie tends to end with characters hadoukening each other on a moonscape though, no matter what was going on previously.

Or maybe she doesn't want to instantly disintegrate everyone in the room with god particles.

It's consistent with comic book movies in general. A bit I'd managed to forget was that Hulk hits Black Widow, hard, while running, so it's got his momentum behind it. She grimaces on the ground for a moment, and is karate fighting Hawkeye in the next scene. Two pistol bullets to the limbs incapacitate Cap, but earlier he was launched 30 metres through the air by a grenade. Iron Man has survived literal war zones, but 5 minutes getting punched by Cap is enough to ruin his suit.

quote:

This is also noticeable with the other DC characters, when you get stuff like Batman having to wear Frank Miller Armor to fight Superman, but reacting to being shot point blank in the back of the head ten minutes later like someone snapped a wet towel at him.
This is a weird one, since I'm pretty sure Superman is supposed to be stronger than a pistol, and getting tossed around by Superman visibly hurts him.

quote:

The point being, I am pretty sure you could empty a mag into Wonder Woman's face while she sat there and nothing would happen one way or another--unless the narrative called for it, like she had turned evil or a trusted character warned her that she was being a dumbass and would lose.
I'm pretty sure she's fictional, so it would be difficult for me to assail her with any kind of weapon.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

I didn't mind the final battle being a brawl at all. Ares sure used subtlety to get humanity better at killing itself but at the end of the day he is the God of War from a time when war was about stabbing and hacking each other to bits. He sure as hell didnt whisper the other gods to death.

Also, Ares making the fight a physical one while reminding her of how futile her efforts are, even if she wins, is a nice parallel.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Filthy Casual posted:

Despite being a horrible person, I hope they get James Woods for this.

In case anyone doesn't know, remember when James Woods was an evil, insane hyper-nationalist in White House Down? Turns out he may have been largely improvising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

How accurate are the MTV Teen Choice Awards in predicting Oscar nominees/winners?

I know I'm geniunely disputing the MTV Teen choice awards, but the absence of John Wick makes me feel quite old.

• Locked thread