Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Get out of here Stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

damp squid

It's damp squib, which is a detonator used to set off an explosive that doesn't work if you get it wet, not damp squid, which is a moistened mollusk.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ever been to a hockey game? A damp squid lands with a pretty unimpressive splort too. He may have had the exact metaphor wrong, but his version still works for me.

In hockey an octopus is thrown onto the ice as its eight arms symbolize the number of playoff wins necessary to win the Stanley Cup. Since squid have 10 arms they are not usually thrown onto the ice during hockey games.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zaodai posted:

If they could take him alive. The man poo poo-talked sentient trains while standing on the tracks in front of them for a living. I'm not sure he had a whole lot of fucks to give.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=462KBuAhncU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Oh, and there was a Davion Commander/ComStar Acolyte mix that was named after one of the Three Stooges. :v:

Was it Shemp?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zaodai posted:

It was Curly.

How do I get a refund on this POS?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Mitch will do it personally after having an impassioned conversation with you over the phone about what kind of references you were expecting when you backed this game.

Perfect. What's his number, or does he call me?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hey, so Mitch didn't call all day today. Was it because it's Good Friday?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

I need a Grover House joke

sebmojo posted:

The stairs are filled with gas after an accident, crew need protection to get to the mechbay.

The stairs are also insulated.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

I can recommend reading the pre and post battle fluff, the fluff for each turn, and if you feel like it, skimming the combat results to look for crits. If something jumps out as being interesting (headshots, ammo crits, kills) you read backward to figure out who caused that. That'll get you the big moments of the battles without reading each individual weapon shot.

This is what I do and it works great.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I finally got Dekker into a Firestarter. :piss:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

what directory does the debug speed tweak .reg extension go into?

It's a .reg file, so it automatically goes into your Windows registry when you double click on it. It doesn't matter where the file is located.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

never stop jumping, never raise heat outside of a malevolent biome

Too many MGs, not enough flamers.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ammo explosions and destroying ammo aren't 100% linked I don't think. Or every mech has built in CASE, because i rarely notice ammo explosions.

Every mech has built in CASE. Ammo explosions only destroy the part they're in.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The World of Warships and Tanks modpack imstallers are good, you click through a wizard selecting the mods you want and it down loads them for you.

Most of them also remember which mods you had installed previously, too.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Incidentally, pure SRM6 combinations are more efficient than SRM4 now, accounting for ammo use/space.

All SRMs are now equally efficient once you factor in tonnage, heat generation, and ammo use. For LRMs, LRM10s are still the worst, but LRM15s are now the best in terms of efficiency.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I was referring to combinations, because you can't add ammo fractionally. Assuming you want at least 10 shots:

For 1 hardpoint, SRM6 w/1 ton is the most efficient.
For 2 hardpoints, SRM6+4 w/1 ton is the most efficient (or SRM6+6 w/1 ton if you can deal with only 8 full shots).
For 3 hardpoints, SRM6*3 w/2 tons is the most efficient.

Oh. I just edit the SRM ammo to have 120 missiles like the LRM ammo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BeAuMaN posted:

How much do the background traits on pilots matter as far as events? Do they only come up if they're involved in the event? Is there really much advantage in collecting a wide variety of traits?

For all the events I've seen, background traits only matter if the pilot with it is involved in the event.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

What? What else does that?

Just the Holly SRMs and the Delta LRMs. You can edit the files to fix it, but it's surprising that HBS hasn't fixed it themselves already.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Stravag posted:

Coolant vent multishot until death does us part.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Multishot isn't there to split firepower, it's there so you don't waste an entire turn shooting something that you can kill off with a single medium laser.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Now post the completed one.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Why isn't this guy in the game yet?

Too explicit for a PEGI 12 title.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Eschatos posted:

Is it possible that the rewards you select for a mission influence the enemy composition? Now that I'm doing 1.5-2 skull missions, it feels like whenever I go max money I go up against a lance of mediums, and whenever I select loot I go up against vehicles. It actually came in handy when i got wrecked on a mark artillery targets mission. Reloaded the previous save, went high loot, and got put up against 4 vehicles.

I'm pretty sure it's random. If you reload a save the opfor changes even if you kept everything else the same.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I specced my Dekker into a Bulwark/Coolant Vent Guts pilot. He never died. :smug:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

All I did was change the ammo count on SRM Ammo to 120 so you won't have 4 missiles left over when you use a SRM 6 to fire all your ammo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

What is the thread opinion on thermal exchangers? I did some math and I think that the 20% one is worth it once you have an alpha that generates 56 heat, but there might be something I'm missing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Organ Fiend posted:

You can't talk about sustained fire and then ignore the heat of the JJs. If we're talking about comparable sustainability, then 4 JJs (4 tons 26 heat) is comparable to 2xML, 2xHS (4 tons, 26-6=20 heat). In the late game, thats 70 damage, and some extra HS for something else. A SRM6 with 1 ton of ammo is 4 tons and only 12 heat. If you have HS to drop, SRM10 + 1 ammo is 6 tons and 20 + 6 (drop 2 HS)=26 heat. Thats 120 damage in the late game. If you take heat into account, and have HS to dump, 4 tons and 26 heat removed from your build is enough to turn an AC5 into an AC20. These are not insignificant amounts of damage. If we're ignoring heat (i.e. you're not jumping all the time, you're also not shooting all the time), then those 4 tons become 4 MLs, 8 SRMs, 6 support weapons and change, etc.

Are you using mods? These numbers are pretty off vanilla.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

Are SRM10s even in vanilla?

No they are not, but it might be a typo of LRM10s.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

First Bulwark and then whatever.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CompeAnansi posted:

So is there a guide someone with optimized loadout suggestions for all the different mechs

The optimized loadout is as many SRMs and MLs as you can fit on the thing. SRMs and MLs are just so much more damage per heat/ton efficient than any other weapon. The problem is that there are some mechs that just straight up suck compared to others.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There is no benefit to putting heat sinks in legs, so don't put heat sinks in legs with ammo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ammo goes in the legs because they're the second hardest location to hit besides the head.

Everything else goes wherever it can fit, remembering that arms are easier to blow off than torsos, and you shouldn't put stuff in the legs if you've got ammo in them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Best Friends posted:

drat. I've been putting all my heart sinks in ammo locations. Thanks.

My heart sinks for you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you go the support/SRM/ML maximum efficiency route, the definitive top tier mechs for each class are:
Light: Firestarter
Medium: Centurion CN9-AL
Heavy: Grasshopper
Assault: King Crab

Other decent mechs are:
Light: :lol:
Medium: Kintaro, Griffin, Shadowhawk, Centurion CN9-A
Heavy: Jaegermech JM6-A, Catapult CPLT-C4, Thunderbolt TDR-5SE
Assault: Atlas, Highlander

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

With the high damage weapons and coolant vent you can get 100 tonners up to three turns of 600ish damage alpha before they need to rest.

But yeah, the Centurion-AL is just a Thunderbolt-5SE with one less medium laser.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

King Crab:
4xSRM6=4x12x6=288 damage
2xML=2x35=70 damage
2xLL=2x50=100 damage
4xSL=4x30=120 damage
Total=578 damage

Slap on 2 of the 20% Thermal Exchangers to bring your heat generated down to 84, which you can sink for 3 turns of alpha with 5 DHS and coolant vent.

Atlas II:
2xAC/20=2x120=240 damage
2xSRM6=2x12x6=144 damage
4xML=2x35=140 damage
4xSL=4x30=120 damage
Total=644 damage

Slap on 3 of the 20% Thermal Exchangers to bring your heat generated down to 73, which you can sink for 3 turns of alpha with 3 DHS and coolant vent.

:nallears:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

El Spamo posted:

Not wanting to quote myself, but I just did some math because I'm at work and bored waiting on a coworker to respond to me.

Exchangers are worth it if you produce more weapon heat than 10x the equivalent tonnage of heat sinkage.

Thus:
Exchanger I: Install if you produce 60+ weapon heat.
Exchanger II: 90+ weapon heat
Exchanger III: 120+ weapon heat

That probably limits them to heavies and assaults than can fit enough tonnage of weapons to PRODUCE that amount of heat. I guess if you're borderline it might be useful too because of the lack of environmental impact. That drops those 'worth it' thresholds down quite a bit if you're doing martian/lunar landscape missions.

It looks like the heat bank component is just an installable guts 9 skill. Maxed armor and have a spare ton for some reason? Heat bank I guess.

Exchangers are useful when you have enough weaponry to generate more than 60 heat per turn (90 heat with Guts 9). This heat level is the max you can generate in one turn without automatically overheating. Exchangers cause your weapons to generate less heat, so you can cram on more weapons without hitting the overheat threshold. They're key for the sustained (shoot for 3 turns, cool off for one) 575 alpha King Crab.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

All Exchangers follow the same math since it's 5% heat reduction per ton, making 60 weapons heat generated their break even point with Standard Heatsinks (60 * 5% = 3 heat negated, same as a heatsink).

The game doesn't track fractional heat (it rounds down to the closest integer value), so the break-even point for each exchanger is slightly different. For the 20% exchanger it's 56 heat.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Exchangers affect gross weapon's heat, not net total heat.

They don't care whether you have other elements dissipating (ie heatsinks), nor other elements generating (ie jump jets).

Yeah, that's why I said enough weaponry to generate 60 heat per turn. :nallears:

Since heat generation occurs before heat dissipation you need to keep it below the overheat threshold if you don't want to overheat. The reduction in weapon heat generation from exchangers is what lets you do the crazy alpha-strikes without overheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

56*.2 rounded down is 11

It's 11.2, which you subtract from 56 to get 44.8, which rounds down to 44, which is 12 less than 56 (i.e. the 12 heat needed to get even with heatsinks).

Conspiratiorist posted:

And no, heat generation and dissipation occurs in the same step. You don't have to worry about taking overheat damage from large gross heat values so long as your delta is manageable.

No they don't occur in the same step. You generate heat during the turn and then it gets dissipated after the turn ends.

Think about it. If you shoot a weapon, you still generate heat even though you're automatically sinking 30 heat plus whatever heat sinks you have. The heat sinking doesn't occur until the end of the turn. You can literally watch when it gets sunk.