Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crusader posted:

I've never been that familiar with the lore, so I'm highly amused that it's straight up General Motors that made the Blackjack and other mechs.

There was someone in AI who had a perfect "GM Mark Of Excellence" custom title that I wanted to post here, but I can't remember who, and you can't dig through old titles anymore anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I would completely understand the existence and continued presence of Locusts on the battlefield if that purpose was secretly 'Can be thrown at another mech by an Atlas.'

One throw, two critical hits to two different heads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have Behemoth run in to punch the last mech to death on a mission, figuring the red pips on the ground are for geothermal.

She gets crushed underneath the dropship.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm mostly just irritated about the dropship thing in that if you end up triggering it to come, you get no ability to react and move anything. It would make more sense if on turn X the drop ship would always arrive, but if killing the last guy does it, why not wait a turn?

Edit: what the Rabbi said

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Made a BeforeIPlay page for Battletech. Guys take a look and suggest anything to add?

May want to mention that in some cases, you can target the support structure under a turret, which will generally come down with far less of a hit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Only some, though. It failed for me at the ammo depot.

See, that was the first time I'd tried it, and it worked on at least one of the turrets.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Second part of Grave Robber.

Hm. One vehicle left, I'll just DFA it.

LL destroyed

Enemy Mechs Spotted

Still pulled out a victory.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Is extraction the mission whee you save your dude? You can actually leave the circle, kill everything, then reenter and brace for five turns and win.

Even with that it's a royal pain to do.

I wasn't even going to savescum the first time through when Glitch had to eject early, but then an AI one-punched Kamea to death.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hubis posted:

Pilot skill DOES increase your knockdown threshold, for what it's worth.

I thought it only increased the threshold for unsteady. It does make you harder to knock down in that no matter how much stability damage you take, you can only go from normal to unstable in one action and then need to take more stability damage from there to be knocked down. But if you take a huge amount of stability damage on the first action (my Highlander will max that out in one shot as long as the target isn't guarded) then no matter how good the pilot is, that mech goes down with a stiff breeze.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Emong posted:

It basically doesn't generate heat, has a longer range than LRMs and does a shitload of stab damage. It's for blapping mechs from so far away they can't even see you on radar.

Yup. "Hey, Tremor can see you. *click* Now you have max stability damage and I can fart a missile out you and knock you down!"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even without that I've been maxed out at 50 morale for ages.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there something that will interrupt a multi target attack? Twice now I've setup a proper multi target attack, my mech attacks the A target and then the turn ends.

Aside from forgetting to properly allocate weapons per target, I've also run into this once with my LRMboat Crab King Missile when it ran out of ammo after the first salvo.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but by the time they're god-tier, money is increasingly less of an issue. Take salvage-only missions, get loads of parts and a complete mech and sell it for the same or more than the full cash value of the mission.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah destroying a leg will instantly knock a mech over, even if it wasn't unstable before the attack.

It also applies a permanent full pip of stability damage, so now both unstable and knockdown are even easier to achieve.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

21:9 support, loving yes.

Also that's some pretty sweeping balance changes. Looks like everything will be much harder to knock down, heat reductions on drat near everything except medium and small lasers (which now make more heat).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BTA dropped a new update today and holy poo poo the performance improvements have made this game buttery smooth now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I found one of these in my BTA3062 playthrough.

The first time I used it, it injured my pilot on the first alpha strike.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dalaram posted:

Does BTA still do that annoying thing where if you shoot someone with artillery, all your guys will complain they’re taking hits?

I only get multiple complaints if I shoot someone too close and splash my own mechs.

I get a single complaint if I use "attack ground" with it, from the firing vehicle.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SovCit 3062 looking good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's also been a few hotfixes already, but yeah you have to store/restore BA to get a valid config.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They also just dropped another hotfix today to deal with the, shall we say, selectively pacifist AI.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Is it true that multi shot weapons (uac, rac, x-pulse, eg) only can hit the head once per salvo on a called shot? I can’t remember the mechanics there

I don't know but I have a Jagermech with some RAC5s and it absolutely obliterates heads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlondRobin posted:

My favorite BTA 55-ton mech is the Shadow Hawk variant with 5 missile slots given to that one guaranteed hero pilot who loves cats and does extra good with SRMs, personally.

In my current career, Wulfbanes got absolutely murdered by a DFA on his second deployment. Which sucked because I got a lot of mileage out of him the first time around.

I did the Radio Crowd start this time and I've had Grampa whining his rear end off in a Wolverine since day one. At first it was the one I got at the start, then I got my hands on a Sanctuary version with some DBACs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

hi yes firestarters own

Getting a "pilot killed by heat" as they try over and over to start their mech back up

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If this is nerfed I would love/hate to see what it was like before. The inferno sniper ammo on the Teppo is hilarious on the right maps. Oh look, the enemy failed a 110% check to restart their mech again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Question for folks who might be familiar with both Battletech and Mechwarrior:

For some reason, I can't get the installer for BTA or Roguetech to work on my machine, the installer downloads and loads just fine, but it just flat out refuses to connect to the network to download the actual mod files for whatever reason.

There's a 17GB pre-cache file at the bottom of https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Installation_Guide if you just need to download the mod files manually.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, sometimes RNGesus works in your favor and it spawns your Dire Wolf with an assload of Clan ER L Lasers on the top of a mountain with perfect line of sight on the entire enemy force, and it turns mechs into dust even more efficiently than the four Long Toms.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

also: artillery, even if it misses, usually doesn't REALLY miss

Except when the enemy is a little too close and your arty shorts it and now your front line took almost as hard a hit as the enemy.

tactlessbastard posted:

The story campaign popped up as a Flashpoint, does 3062 play well with it?

The only problems I had with flashpoints in general were in the early-to-mid game when I was mostly able to punch above my weight by fielding >4 mechs - the campaign and original flashpoints are set up to only allow four mechs no matter what. It's not that they can't support >4, it's that the BTA devs specifically chose to enforce the 4-mech limit there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That reminds me, I wish urban missions would show before you launch whether or not "collateral damage" is a problem before you deploy. Do I need to go direct-fire only, or can I bring the Long Toms and commit war crimes?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This, but it's more than made up for with the actual weapon / ammo variety instead of just "same weapon with slight stats buff".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I picked up a couple of SCR-EE with the rotary LBX and those things can just straight up delete a lot of mechs. Not much ammo onboard, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mile'ionaha posted:

Also I can't help but read it as hawk-like *SCREEEE*.

But yes, it's pretty amazing.

Yup. Sprint a huge distance, unload an assload of LBX5 rounds into the back of a mech, run away again because you need a new target.

The only times I've had problems is if I get lazy about making sure it is always running. If the evasion gets too low, opfor can gently caress it up quick.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

How widespread/common are the LAMs in BTA? Does the AI use them?

I had an assload of LAMs show up on a flashpoint early on when I was mostly doing 3-4 skull missions by fielding an assload of mediums, and the flashpoint was limiting me to four mechs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah but they'd have to pay part of that money to Microsoft so gently caress it.

I mean, depending on the terms of that arrangement, I could definitely see the slice of pie remaining after everyone else gets their share being so small that it's not something you could reliably support a development team on.

Sucks but also makes me glad that stuff like BTA exists.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I had no idea that was a thing, enabled that now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Klyith posted:

So BTA changes what happens when you fully overheat a mech?

That was actually kinda disappointing in the base game, how overheating an enemy all the way to full shutdown isn't that awful. It's just a very inconvenient way to get called shots, and then they reset to zero heat. In some cases you're almost doing them a favor and the better play is overheating them to 99%.

(Though you could do kinda effective things with intentional shutdown on yourself, as long as you could manage the initiative and didn't mind the repair bill. Super gimmicky way to make a PPC sniper for lunar maps. My structure is my heatsink.)

As mentioned they nerfed it a bit but yeah, roasting mechs is very viable. You don't just get shutdowns, you get component failures / cookoffs, failed restarts, and eventually pilot death.

The nerf impacts how much heat you can directly add to an enemy mech in a turn. It doesn't seem to impact how much they get from burning tiles so "napalm the forest" is still very powerful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Really the most amusing thing I've had in my current BTA playthrough is the opfor fielding Direstars, but being too afraid of heat to fire even a single shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BATTLETECH\Mods\CustomUnits\mod.json, "DeployManual"

I'm sure the BTA team has reasons why they set that as false but goddamn it sucks.