Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I guess if they can't make people scared of Russians for some drum beating then they'll try the Chinese next. If you squint the article looks like it's about the USSR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

open24hours posted:

Why do we have such an antagonistic relationship with East Timor anyway? I know we want to steal their resources, but aren't there more subtle ways to do it? Seems like a wasted opportunity to set up a client state.

[Edit: after reading the Wikipedia page it appears that's what we're trying to do, but we're not that good at it.]

Australian diplomacy and subtle don't exactly go hand in hand.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

I was under the assumption that most of the poo poo in East Timor was Americas fault, and we were licking their boots?

A lot happened since 1975.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

You know for a young lady Daisy looks a lot like a 38 year old meth head.

Not that I'm suggesting anything.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Yeah, not a lot of legitimate reasons to carry that kind of cash without declaring it. Vanishingly close to zero really.

You know how some people have service dogs or emotional support animals?

That was his emotional support pile of cash. Nothing to see here officer, move along.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Going to laugh pretty hard when the whole Adani mine enterprise turns out to be an elaborate Pump 'N Dump.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

"I was jumped by at least fifty leftist fascists and fought them off with my fists, foul language and my sheer manliness"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

Was Bolt one of the ones who criticised Joyce for making a big deal about the pie to the face?

Yup! :v:

"Andrew Bolt on Alan Joyce: Qantas CEO should uphold his opponents’ right to free speech" (paywalled, no I don't pay, I got the link from google)
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/op...6c085a1501fba2d

Something something Andrew Bolt's safe space.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

If glitter bombings are the work of 'violent extremists', why haven't any fairies come forward to condemn the latest attack

https://twitter.com/KirralieS/status/872253571638505473

I feel like just a short while ago, I was angry about holiday eggs

When the Cadbury Creme was downgraded it was dark times for all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS ROCKY V AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ROCKY. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD.

That was the first place my mind went as well :toot:

I bet Bolt makes finger guns when the cowboys shoot the native americans in the Ye Olde Westerns unironically.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Amazing avatar/post combo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Can we send him back to what I think must have been a British slum?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

They do realise that the rate we burn and release CO2 is far faster than the billions of years of organic decay it took to form coal right.

Right?

The people making money off it and making the decisions will be long dead before the environmental cheque gets cashed. They don't care.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the 7 retweets and 11 likes by a social media giant affecting the opinions of millions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

This is a good video about the UK election https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRWUu9WvyM

This is very good indeed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

In news that will shock exactly zero people the ALP has learned nothing at all.

Yup. Let me paraphrase what the ALP learned from the UK elections:

It would be very unwise for Australian Labor to tailor a message to the voters based around the principles of integrity and fairness that Corbyn consistently displayed.

Because Australian politics is so rotten to the core you'll never see a federal ICAC.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

You get Corbyn types when the party suffers a wipeout which isn't going to happen to Shorten.

Nothing is ever going to happen to Shorten because nobody ever knows where he is or what he stands for.

When your party is led by a grey man in a grey suit then there isn't anything to be learned by studying Corbyn because he had what Shorten will never have - a personality.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Konomex posted:

Voting to leave an economic union and refusing foreigners free and unrestricted entry into your country (but still letting them enter for valid visa reasons) is worse than literal concentration camps that have resulted in multiple dead refugees, rapes and child abuse?

You've got an interesting moral compass.

The economic union issue affects the (mostly white) people far more than a bunch of unwanted vaguely brown people dying in horrific concentration camps full of despair, abuse and rape. I mean who cares about them anyway right?

So yes, because it inconveniences the (mostly white) people more obviously the visa issue makes them far worse than our Sunburnt Country of 21st century concentration camps overseen by literal black shirted thugs accountable only to King Potatoe.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The White Australia policy is old hat. If it was me I'd go for something much more interesting and dynamic to appeal to the younger voters.

I'd make applying for breeding licenses mandatory for any potential parents. If you fail the associated English, Math and means testing then you get a non-reversible vasectomy or tubes tied as applicable.

When you apply for the test enforcement compliance officers will be in the next room with rusty scissors, knitting needles and yarn to carry out the needful.

Oh and obviously any children secretly born to unlicensed parents are seized by the state and used to provide cheap labor on the fruit farms for life. The parents too but they'll be going to different farms.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Citizenship test question 17:

"Which would you rather live next to?"

The page displays two images: a glossy color photo of a touched up in photoshop gleaming coal fired power plant and a black and white out of focus smudged image of some windmills, also that photo is half the size of the other one.

(any applicant that doesn't answer "the coal power plant" immediately has their visa cancelled while several of Dutton's blackshirts forcibly haul them off to hurl them into the sea)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

We shouldn't overlook for a long period Julia Gillard's plans involved building giant underground caves for catching the chemicals. It was an inverse space elevator.

Well that's one use for Fraggle Rock.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

Literally execute tax dodgers

It's for the greater good of society that we do this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Labor what's your position on the LNP policy of gently caress the poor? Oh you need to check your notes and confer before giving a response? How human of you.

It's like two sides of the same chocolate coin really isn't it?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Dad tells a good story about the years he and some boomer mates spent living on the beach getting blazed and surfing all day while the gov bankrolled them.

What's good for the goose is not good for the goslings.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Never posted in LF but I used to love browsing it.

Can't remember why it went away but I'm sure it was "drama" or something.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

THREE Federal Ministers to be hauled in front of Supreme Court

I am sure nothing will happen to them, beyond maybe a small "Don't do that" message.

Don't tease me, deliver :black101:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Nandos has nothing on KFC and KFC is poo poo.

Eat somewhere else.

Competing for the best place to get fast food is like competing for how much raw sewerage one person can drink.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm always stunned at just how loving cheap it is to buy a politician - or even an entire party.

$50k a year is couch change to a big company.

A couple of years ago, my company spent over $150k just buying new office chairs. But for that, they apparently could have bought hired controlling interest in the major political party of their choice.

Corrupt pollies are the worst and pettiest of criminals. They'll cause billions of damage and gently caress over untold numbers of people just for minor personal financial incentive.

Endman posted:

Sigh. I guess I'll cut back on reading your posts then

I used to love KFC as a teen or in my 20s. But tastes change and evolve.

Now I'm all about artisenal wallaby burgers and such in a pub that serves obscure beer on tap.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Death by guillotine

That's every pub now though. Even the grungiest place I still like does really nice parmies and the bathroom graffiti is both authentically filthy and vintage.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Given that every pub has pokies I thoroughly endorse not supporting your pub at all.

Not the places I go to :colbert:

Drinking in a pokie pub is the most depressing thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

aka "I'm a retired boomer and only just discovered Tomb Raider and Google image search"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Cortana's cleavage is neither unrealistically large, nor gravity defying. Moralisers gotta moralise though.

Holy poo poo just imagine the freakout when the author of that article discovers "basically naked blue computer lady from Halo corrupting our youth".

Oh my gawd you can basically see everything, breasts and all! *drops hand of bridge cards, spills glass of pinot*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

I'm not a rapist. #notallmen are rapists.

In a room full of men at least a good 40% aren't planning to rape you immediately once you turn your back.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

I am in Beijing and the air is killing me holy poo poo how do people live here every breath has the thickness of 20 cigarettes and everyone coughs like crazy.

With this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiabeNR_q0U

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Had to take time off work due to allergies

Looks like an active area from That Insidious Beast.

https://www.somethingawful.com/series/that-insidious-beast/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zenithe posted:

I've been wrong before, but can it get much lower than this?

ewe2 posted:

I'm sure she'll be richly rewarded for being both horrible and irrelevant. Fortunate that we don't do UK honours any more.

For her I'm sure being a malignant cancer is it's own reward.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

how about we disband NSW greens and start again

The traditional way of renewal in Australia normally takes the form of a bush fire.

Take the NSW greens out to the bush, burn them at the stake and let a new one grow from the embers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

How much more power do they need?

Literal Judge Dredd powers.

Only then will they be satisfied.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gay picnic defence posted:

it's dutton time

It's Mad Max time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Nothing will destroy capitalism because everyone has a #personalbrand now and they think when they post a sad story on facebook that people will actually give a gently caress about them as an individual rather than simply let them die face down and stomp on their head to get a loaf of bread.

Nothing will destroy capitalism because brands are our new tribes.

Anidav posted:

Like any teacher worth their weight is fully trained for all kinds of kids and alot of schools offer kids who need it assistant teachers who accompany kids in vital classrooms like maths ect. Bigger classrooms have sub teachers who assist the main teacher too and I hear classrooms have iPads and Laptops these days so whatever teachers are telling Pauline Hanson to kick autistic kids out of classrooms is in the wrong profession.

Which planet are you from again?

• Locked thread