Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Now I am able to play. This story so far though is really god drat bad.

It does not improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The story reminds me a lot of those conservatives that misunderstood Rage Against the Machine, but instead the devs somehow completely misunderstood Bioshock.

I think it is more that for a variety of reasons they made a game that is afraid of being too critical of Russia, the United States, communism, and capitalism so it can't actually form a strong message.

The best it gets is 'gay space communism only works if there is no inequality at all' and even that is halfhearted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seltzer posted:

Atomic Heart looks really nice. Probably the best lighting I've seen this gen aside from Metro Exodus. One of the best looking games too. First hour was fun, hope it holds up.

That's all open world stuff, not cutscenes.

That isn't open world, it is the opening linear area.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

Doormat reading comprehension fr

I am genuinely confused. That is not the game's open world area, and nobody uses 'open world' to refer to gameplay vs cutscenes.

1glitch0 posted:

That one had a crush. The one in Atomic Heart wants to gently caress the poo poo out of you!

It is fine being degraded and bullied.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dpulex posted:

I wasn't going to play atomic fart b/c it sounds like garbage but it's an immersive sim so i guess i have to

Honestly it really isn't. It guises itself as one but there are no solutions to anything besides straightforward fighting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am contrarian because the more Microsoft gives up the less I want the deal to go through because they absolutely think they are going to benefit enough to justify it and that probably isn't good in the long run.

But either way it is absurdly wealthy companies fighting over fake real money so eh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

priznat posted:

The game or the thread? I was interested in the game as well.

Thread bad, game good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have no idea what they were thinking with the subtitles. Like 'make the text float above a character head' is fine in an RPG or something but not the tiniest text in the universe in a FPS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the AI is so rock dumb that if you shoot the cameras you can walk around unmolested in most cases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

All I can say is use your powers. Get telekinesis slam and upgrade shok and you can just wreck the robots. Just duck into houses loot and keep going. I played it more run and gun and made it through easy enough.

Once you get the chainsaw blade on a stick go and grab the magnet upgrade for it. It kills everything including bosses in seconds

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think that's because the tweet called it a "soviet power fantasy"

It both is and isn't. The areas it is critical of don't overlap much with the 'utopia' elements. It is like the kind of American power fantasy where the corrupt few ruin the dreams of guns and freedom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think painting AH as pro or anti Soviet implies it has more to say than it does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder how you go up from murdering God

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

Wo Long is fun so far, but man that first boss is loving brutal. I can reliably get through phase one now after an hour or so of trying, but I can barely even make a dent in phase two.

Feels kinda like in Elden Ring where you finish the tutorial, here you have to defeat the Tree Sentinel to progress at all.

Focus on countering red moves. Like Sekiro it is more about breaking enemies snd then doing a finisher

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Wo long pissing me off just like nioh did. Why would you copy sekiro parrying and have dodge use a double tap, canceling the parry?

It is literally to make you time it instead of mashing the button nonstop

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the UK misunderstood. FFVII Remake is exclusive to Sony, not Microsoft. They are the clear leader in Cloud gaming

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

All of the arguments against the merger have been made in bad faith, from both governments, and Sony. There is really no reason to not allow this merger, and I say this as a pretty anti-capitalism person. This can do nothing but benefit consumers, and employees, assuming Phil Spencer follows through on his promise of allowing people to form a union.

It benefits corporations but lol at it benefitting consumers in any way that isn't Sekiro on gamepass. The arguments by Sony have been silly but any benefit to customers is 'maybe some old free stuff on Xbox'

Any large corporation consolidating more power is always a bad thing even if it means Wolverine can beat up Luke Skywalker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

No one's protecting me from all the supermarket chains merging and skyrocketing the prices of food or allowing all the companies in my industry to merge so I have incredibly few different places I could possibly work, but the governments of the world will make drat sure I can't play Diablo IV for free.

I mean that is an argument for more, not less.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

The funniest part about all this is that there would have been no pushback whatsoever if this was Tencent or Embracer group making the purchase.

If you think a Chinese company buying Cawaduty wouldn't have created sone tremendously racist takes I have a bridge to sell you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You are aware I was using that term ironically, yes? I do not in fact think racist takes are good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Jedi Survivor: The store is now saying 102.51 GB for the S version, 133.97 GB for X. Which is close to the PC version's 155 GB requirement.

Considering what is being said about the PS5 version I can only imagine the S version is going to run like poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

Tencent owns almost half of Fortnite and the underlying engine technology for a majority of the gaming industry, and 100% of Riot. No one cared.

They own a supermajority of Supercell which is a bunch of mobile games popular in the US with adults and children. They own 5-20% shares in dozens of developers and publishers, including Activision and Ubisoft.

No one cares. They've focused mostly on mobile and games where the majority of the player base is in SEA, but they're buying everywhere.

I'm not sure where you're looking but Tencent's buy-ins tend to be a news story and still gets brought up pretty regularly. Like even if they buy 5% stake or whatever I instantly see a bunch of fearmongering about it. poo poo I saw people going "Well if Tik-Tok gets banned what about (x thing Tencent is involved in)" during the height of all that mess.

I said come in! posted:

They are overreacting to the problems from what i've seen and heard from others. I guess i'll know tonight when I play too! But every other review has been able to finish the game.

I mostly am just wondering how they are playing the game when their twitter profile proudly claims they buy every game they review.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lammasu posted:

You realize Twitch and YouTube wouldn't have continued to exist if they weren't acquired by a large corporation.

I won't pretend I don't watch either but considering Youtube is one of the single largest peddlers of racism and conspiracy theories because their negligent owners are afraid to upset people and Twitch is a breeding ground for harassment and terrible people, I am not sure that is actually a net positive instead of "not terrible people can use this too and hopefully that outweighs some of the immense damage and exploitation involved."

MJBuddy posted:

Admittedly I don't think I can separate what people tend to see vs what I notice because I pay a lot of attention to it. I honestly don't think people would know that Tencent is the largest gaming company in the world, despite even the constant news flow over the MS/ACTI buy. Most people would assume Nintendo or Sony.

I don't think you're wrong there to be fair. It's something that gets brought up more in specific circles than general knowledge.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is my fault. I wished Arkane would make a vampire game while holding the Monkey's Paw

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

Like, the game isn't great but the "discourse" or whatever has been pretty pathetic with this game, or maybe just gaming in general lately. I don't know what point I'm trying to make but seeing stuff like this makes me sad.

https://twitter.com/Wonder_Phoenix/status/1654164861230645254?t=MmawITKJ4bcCu0sWnJbtaw&s=19

I think people, especially at this moment in time, are pretty geared up to be annoyed/angry at multiplayer-focus loot games because they have pretty much all turned out to be crappy and predatory and have devoured some popular franchises or studios. They had their moment in the sun but now all we're getting is crap fad-chasers long after the fad has died.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the main problem is that there are now like three games released on each non-switch console per year so it's a big deal when one is bad

People keep saying this and it confuses me because there are an absolute metric shitload of games coming out even ignoring indies

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Silksong not releasing within 12 months after the 2022 Xbox Showcase

https://twitter.com/griffinmatta/status/1656106351184199680?s=20

More like Slugsong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

lmao loving hell, that's even worse than i thought

the concept of a semi-open world game (or hell, even discrete levels) where you follow Gollum's story after losing the Ring, through Mirkwood as far as Dale and the Lonely Mountain, back south to Mordor and then eventually northwards into Moria where he follows the Fellowship back down the Anduin sounds kinda cool, which is roughly what I'd assumed this game was based on nothing more than the name and a cinematic trailer

and i get wanted to develop your own world and what not, but Gandalf explicitly says in Fellowship that Gollum was allowed to leave Barad-dur on "an errand of mischief". spending half the game doing chores in order to escape seems pretty lol-worthy

So I will say that what I hate most about it is that I feel like it fundamentally misunderstands Gollum as a character which is a pretty big flaw. It has a half-baked morality system where Smeagol is "good" and Gollum is "bad" and sometimes they argue. And in theory I like the idea of one side having to convince the other to go along with something except Gollum being divided into Good and Evil is dumb as hell. The game tries to paint Smeagol as a pure innocent good boy struggling against the evil Gollum but Smeagol wasn't that. He was kind of sad and pathetic and desperate and servile but he still had mischief in him and a theoretical 'good' Smeagol was by no means pure. He wasn't a sweet boy who just wanted to pet birds and chase butterflies.

Instead the writers clearly went "Well, GOOD vs EVIL right??"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

super fart shooter posted:

Have they talked about the sands of time remake? That's the only thing I could possibly care about, that game was incredible back in the day but I'm worried they'll somehow gently caress it up and it'll just become more flavorless Ubi slop

They had to restart from scratch because the original developer hosed it up bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit that I spent too much time with TotK to really care if a game is 30fps as long as it has fun stuff to do.

The latter is to be seen with Starfield honestly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

thinking of buying cyberpunk again on Xbox…hmmm

Wait until the DLC is out and see if it actually justifies the hype. Thr big changes aren't coming until then anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

The PS5 controller turns itself off after two hours because the battery sucks

Eh, I've never had mine run out even after marathon sessions(5+ hours). I'm sure I came close but honestly if I got to the point it was draining dead I'd need to stop playing anyway so I don't turn into a lump.

That said I turned the speaker on that motherfucker off right away which probably helps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Submarine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lammasu posted:

It used PlayStation controllers?

A 3rd party one but yes.

Edit: Oh, actually, I'm wrong, it's a 3rd party controller with a PS button layout but X-Box buttons.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Nano-Receiver-Controller-Vibration/dp/B0041RR0TW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

My favorite thing is Bobby Kotick not wanting cod in game pass and knowing that Phil can and likely will just give him middle fingers on his way out the door

e: if they wanted to compromise they could start offering premium games to ultimate subs only, but that is already what Sony does and it sucks and MS should not follow suit

Aren't they already doing that? I thought certain games were only available through Ultimate Tier?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Not that I'm aware? Unless you mean games that are PC or console exclusive, because you don't get both without an Ultimate membership.

I just checked and Need for Speed Unbound is listed as "Need for Speed Unbound - Xbox Game Pass Ultimate only""

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

CoD is no more unstoppable than Halo was, or Quake, or Gears of War. It's kind of ridiculous to assume the end of history has arrived lol

Eh, it kind of is. CoD hit at exactly the right time and place to basically take full control of a market and at this point it has such raw inertia that it will take more than someone else making a good game to break it. The current market also is so fractured that it is hard for anything to gain remotely the same power. People like CoD because it is the one FPS you can be assured everyone will be playing and will have a sustained life at least until the next entry.

It could eventually fade away of course but it isn't as simple as making a good game that people would rather play. Having the assured online community is a major part of its success even when it releases lovely games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

priznat posted:

Shadow Complex ruled and why haven't there been like a dozen sequels and DLCs?!?!

Because it would involve giving Orson Scott Card money and you could just make your own Metroidvania that wasn't secretly about fighting the Woke Agenda

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I think he even has a tie-in book series which makes the anti-woke poo poo much more explicit. I don't know if it was goon telephone or what but I remember hearing something in the old 360 thread around the time of release that the devs didn't like the association with Card and did as much as they could to downplay it. It sounds like wishful thinking bullshit to me, but :shrug:

I can believe it, they made their best effort not to include any characterizations for the villains. Just makes it hard to expand the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh nice. FFXIV is confirmed for The Box.