Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The choice between Series X and PS5 was pretty clear for me; does it play Fallout New Vegas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Speaking of Australian children's entertainment, The Wiggles are also highly recommended.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

All Starfield had to do is be an updated version of 1986’s Starflight and it would have kicked rear end.

Oh well

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

I'll buy it on Series X and then PC. I think I bought gta5 3 times.

I bought GTA 5 4 times. Wait, no it was five times. Holy poo poo.

I actually own a physical copy for my PS3. It's actually incredible that it runs so well on such old hardware.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

GTAV killed my ps3’s disc drive.

I actually heard somewhere that that was a thing, so I used to play the digital download. My physical copy is unopened, sealed original mint condition.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Sandepande posted:

I've never been able to get what's popular about GTA's. I've bought all of them, and they seem to be just open-city drive'em ups. I think I played San Andreas the most, because the characters and the story about them was interesting.

Is it the moment-to-momemt gameplay?

Granted, I don't care for driving games so maybe that's it.

It's a curious phenomenon, that game.

The really hilarious part is that I’ve purchased copies of every Grand Theft Auto ever made and I don’t enjoy playing them for more than half an hour. I’m not sure why I bought them all, just to let all that game code sit on my hard drive. It is a mystery.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

kri kri posted:

nah 2042 is good now

Is it? At that price I’m tempted to pull the trigger. I just bought Dead Space because holy crap that’s a steal of a deal.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah , the reason I bought Dead Space is to keep it, because games get removed from Gamepass all the time.

It’s ten bucks.

And what the hell, I bought Battlefield 2042 whatever edition. It’s twenty bucks up here in Canada.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Immortals of aveum runs like poo poo on Series X. No performance option.

I'm in Act 3 and the performance has been pretty good, including the two boss fights so far.

e:i'm really enjoying quick resume, especially for older games like Fallout New Vegas and KOTOR. It's really cool to be able to quit playing and then pick right up like you just paused the game, even days later.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 11, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Maybe i'm just more sensitive to frame rate drops, but the boss fight with the huge dragon was unplayable. I just want the game to offer a lower resolution. The Switch, the most popular console of all time, plays most games at 540p and no one cares. Games don't need to be 4K, especially when they can barely handle it.

Y'know, I'll have to replay that boss fight because I either didn't notice any significant frame drops or I just wrote them off mentally as part of the boss fight experience, if that makes any sense.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 11, 2023

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I understand yeah! And I still want to keep playing, hoping to finish the game.

:same: I didn't know what to expect, but it's turning out to be a game I'm gonna finish.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I own a physical copy of NOLF for my ancient PS2. Going to rip it and see if it works on my PS2 emulator on my Steamdeck.

E: and to bring this back to XBox, thank you thread for letting me know about the Dead Space remaster when it was ten bucks. That’s a hell of a deal. The game looks absolutely amazing.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

I haven’t kept track of the faux controversy, so I’m enjoying Palworld on my Series X.

E:I haven’t noticed any frame rate issues at all, so I’m hoping that’s because the game is running on a system that does twelve trillion calculations per second.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 25, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

The x360 came out like 20 years ago. If you’re still using that poo poo it’s your fault Xbox is dying. Tim’s coming for you.

I also have a fat PS3 that still works. It's so shiny and looks expensive. I think the best looking 360 was the 360S. One of my kids is playing Lego Star Wars on it right now.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 11, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Martman posted:

I simply download recommended drivers and then things work without issue

lol, exactly what kind of driver is going to make my ancient physical copy of No One Lives Forever run on Windows 10? How about Bungies classic, Oni?

I do have physical copies of both NOLF and Oni for my PlayStation 2 that still work perfectly.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Alyx is so good that it kinda killed off my interest in VR. Everything else is almost objectively worse than it, so why bother continuing?

Red Matter 2 is pretty great. Duke Nukem 3D and Doom are pretty great too.

e: wrong thread

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 1, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

been saying this. RT is a scam pushed by Nvidia and Digshitshill Floundry

Lol, Quake2 RTX is the only good implementation of ray tracing. Plus, it’s fun to play.

Unfortunately you can only do that on a pretty beefy PC.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

lol @ everyone arguing over 30/60/120 Frames per second. It just shows how fundamentally different consoles are from PCs.

The real problem is input latency or how often your movement is updated. PC gamers don't understand because the vast majority of PC game engines read user input per render frame, while consoles have a separate input loop, independent of frame rate. This is why console players and PC players always butt heads; they are comparing two very different things without understanding WHY they are different.

to be clear, PC games NEED to have a higher frame rate because that is how input is updated, while frame rate can be way more flexible on a console because the input is on a completely different thread.

e:to be even clearer, PC's brute force user input, but console developers had to come up with a more flexible and elegant solution.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 4, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The real problem is using motion blur properly at 30fps. Rockstar understand this. Many do not.

That's part of the solution, but I stand behind the fact that the quicker your onscreen avatar reacts, lower frame rates are going to be way less obvious.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

There’s something about playing Control that actually makes me sleepy. It’s really strange.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

*pushes up glasses" well uh, you see here on this graph, the number of people with PCs is a clear sign that valve could eat nintendo's lunch if they introduced a gaming pc for the living room.

What kind of stance is this? Are you not aware that computers create every part of every video game that will ever be made? Without computers, video games simply don't exist because those consoles have nothing to play.

e: lmao, please show me a version of ZBrush/Maya/3DS Max/Visual Studio that runs on a Switch, XBox or Playstation.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 6, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Bumhead posted:

The Modern Warfare/Black Ops/World at War (yes I'm including WaW, that game was always good) stretch on Xbox 360 is one of those really cool times in gaming that I really miss but is easy to forget about or shrug off just because it's CoD.

The work they did to "clean up" the multiplayer of those games is still the killer app that keeps luring me towards picking up a Series S. Those games are on PC (and I think I even own a couple of them on Steam) but it's not the same as just jumping in with an Xbox pad.

Modern Warfare 2 from 2009 is still the very best COD multiplayer. Period.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ulio posted:

MW1 is like cheese pizza, mw2 is like peperoni pizza.

I was there when MW 2007 was new. The campaign was incredible and the XP multiplayer progression was totally new. MW2 in 2009 took everything and ramped it up all the way, which is why it’s STILL the best multiplayer, followed by BLOPS2.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Original_Z posted:

My fondest memories of MW2 were playing with people from this site, there were some maps which had some weird geometry that if you knew how to launch a grenade at the right angle, you could just keep killing the enemy at spawn over and over again. People were laughing about the PUBBIE TEARS!!! After around a month other people figured out how to do it and started doing cheap poo poo against us, and people in the thread were bitching about how the game is no fun anymore with absolute no sense of irony.

One of my favorite memories of MW2 is calling in two goddamn Harriers to provide overwatch during a CTF match. The swearing from the other team was loving glorious.

e: I once hijacked a support drop, which turned out to be an AC-130, near the end of the match. We were down by more than a few kills.

We won that round.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 11, 2024

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

otter posted:

unless they discover the adapter for the One S.

The One S is also able to play Doom 64 at 60 FPS and 2k resolution, so there you go, two selling points.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Harlock posted:

Halo peaked at Halo 3 Co-Op and never recovered

2 but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

kri kri posted:

Because Halo is better than CoD?

lol, Modern Warfare 2 2009 multiplayer is the best multiplayer ever.

Closely followed by BLOPS2.

Halo isn't even on the radar at that point.