Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

webmeister posted:

Leaving GamePass on March 1st:

• ⁠Alien Isolation (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Crown Trick (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Dragon Ball FighterZ (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠FAR: Changing Tides (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Lightning Returns: FFXIII (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Madden NFL 21 (PC/Xbox)
• ⁠Octopath Traveler (PC/Xbox)

Everyone please do play FAR: Changing Tides, it's my fav game so far this year, mostly because it was a very pleasant surprise (not a huge Triple-A game but definitely do play).

It's a little FTL, a little Limbo/Inside, the devs quote Journey as an influence (never played it but I might after this).

Listen, it's short (3-5hrs), it's indie (made by 4 swedish dudes straight out of uni), it's not particularly replayable unless you REALLY want all the achievements... it's just a cute little adventure with simple physics puzzles that even dumb ol' me could figure out (I'm not particularly into puzzle games).

I found this review from a poster with good taste in games:

MikeC posted:

As I get older, I find less and less enjoyment from AAA games that seem to just do the same thing except 'bigger, louder, more mechanically advanced', and have been playing more indie stuff. Games that have a nice story or atmosphere. One game that really got me was Far: Changing Tides. It's a side-scrolling light puzzle game that doesn't really do anything new or exciting but it reeks of soul and atmosphere. It is set in a post-apocalyptic world that doesn't make the mistake that many other games in this setting do, that is concern itself with what happened. The apocalypse has happened and you just live in it. There is no dialogue. None is needed and there is just the hint that there is someone, somewhere far away you are scheduled/intended to find/meet/rejoin. So you leave aside your lovely flooded abode and set off into the unknown and you will let no barrier stop you as you sail through a ruined water-flooded landscape. It has simple puzzles, has zero replayability, and is probably very low in a dollar/hour sense but it is a game that I remember and will probably remember for a while.

Just a wonderful surprise, a very chill experience, I mean the worst thing is the title, which I keep forgetting (a bit generic I guess?). But I enjoyed this game so much I went out of my way to come and post about it here, these guys need to make more

edit: I just looked and the previous game in the series is 80% off, I dunno if it's as good as the more recent one but here you go, a couple of bucks is probably worth it
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6835/FAR_Lone_Sails__Digital_Collectors_Edition/

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Whirling posted:

Bioshock asks truly powerful questions, such as: "Is it ok to harvest a kid for power-up materials if the kid has bad vibes and you really need Ice Blast 3"

Excuse me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Well, now I have to see what this Sex Fridge is all about

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I'm tapping out on Hi Fi Rush on level 4 because the levels are just not good imo. Maybe it gets better on level 5 but I'm just not enjoying it and when I'm away I don't feel the need to come back to play.

Main complaint is that my man Chai moves too slow through these long endless hallways. The platforming is just not good, puzzles are kind of annoying. Traveling through the level should be way more fun... The dash and the double jump don't "feel" good to me.
I'm no game designer but I don't remember Bayonetta feeling like this.

It's weird because everything else is A+. I just did not enjoy the level design. Combat is ok. I didn't really love the rhythm combat system, for me it adds an extra layer of anxiety and instead of putting me in the zone like DMC did, I'm like "Ahhhh gotta hit that beat, do I punch now or ???" but it's alright, I appreciate them trying something new.

The animation and style is incredibly good, looks amazing and it's worth checking out for that alone. Story is fine, funny dialogue sometimes. Voice actors are wonderful.

The game talks about having an amazing licensed soundtrack, but I constantly wondered where it was. I mean a couple NIN songs showed up, which was... nice? But traveling through the levels, it was always some rando original OST, which wasn't bad but I kept checking if I had enabled streamer mode... For a music based game, I expected a lot more. I think even Guardians of the Galaxy had a lot more licensed, famous songs.

Anyway, can't miss trying it for free on GamePass, maybe you'll enjoy it, I definitely did not go crazy for it but I appreciate the effort

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Please perma ban all chatgpt posts. Thank you mods.

Sorry, mods have been replaced by Chat-GPT. This explains the excellent decisions lately

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Kentucky Route Zero leaving game pass next week… I tried about 5 minutes and seems interesting, story based adventure with light puzzles? I know it was a indie darling for a long time

Best controls explanation page I’ve seen tho

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

BisterdDave posted:

Time to take up a new hobby, like fishing or gardening.

Those are even worse. You think there’s too many games? Wait till you find out how many plants there are

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It would seem this game is a real "credfall" for the sterling reputation of Arkane Studios!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

priznat posted:

If I dig up my rock band disc and usb instruments can I plug it all into my series x?

My wife mentioned to the kids about this mythical rock band game and they are very keen to try it now. I still have the instruments somewhere moldering away.

Oh man I wish I could play Rock Band again, full drum set and everything. I swear I thought it would always be around, they'd keep making instruments, I threw away one set and bought another no problem, wore the poo poo out of it, a friend gave me his set, etc.

I still blame Activision and Bobby Kotick for killing the genre with oversaturation. Harmonix was too beautiful for this world

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I still think Redfall is a Left4Dead clone and it’s apparently nothing like that but I don’t care it’s a L4D clone.

I assume anyone who still plays L4D already knows about this, but Chet (former Valve and L4D writer/designer) is working on Anacrusis, which is an actual L4D clone in Space

I've not played it but sounds like the closest thing since Evolved failed

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

priznat posted:

I know Skyrim gets a lot of hate on but I have probably about 300 hours into it, and it's the only sword and sorcery type RPG I've ever put anywhere near that much time into. Over a few playthroughs I found totally different stuff and it's just wild how much there was to do in that game. If Starfield can get even 50% of that it'll be something I'll be playing a LOT, because I'm way more of a sci fi nerd than a fantasy nerd.

Skyrim didn’t suck at all? It was a top 5 RPG ever for me (I first played it in 2015 with a ton of fan made mods and fixes and all the patches)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Lies of Penis is extremely fun and good (disclaimer: I'm not a Dork Souls fan, but from what I played of DS3, it's extremely similar, maybe a bit easier?)

Random questions:

Can you attack/kill important NPCs? I haven't tried. I imagine the Level Up and store people are off limits, but how about others

Does anyone else really enjoy listening to podcasts while playing ?

When you "summon" a guy to help you vs Boss, are you summoning an actual person? I've tried it 3 times and all 3 it looked like the same character with a very similar big sword, with the same "rush at boss and die" strat. I mean, they helped, but :shrug:

I'm focusing all on Technique and upgrading Health and Stamina every other level, am I loving up? I seem to be doing ok so far, about 12 hours in

I can't believe I'm enjoying the edgy Pinocchioverse so much :shrug:

American McGee probably wishing he'd thought of this

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Boo
https://www.pcgamer.com/paradox-say...rained-schemes/
Paradox says The Lamplighters League sales were 'a big disappointment,' confirms recent layoffs at developer Harebrained Schemes
The layoffs at Harebrained Schemes actually occurred a few months before The Lamplighters League was released.

Because we can't have anything good, can we

I'm loving Lamplighter's League, I thought it'd be a hit, but there we go. If you got ShamePass, play it, it's 1920 pulp adventure X-Com and it looks great.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

webmeister posted:

Lamplighters League launching in the same period as a bunch of other big games meant it was always going to be in for a rough ride. It’s still on my list of games to play when I’m done with Starfield and Forza, and I’m keen to check it out, but there’s been so much solid stuff the last few months it’s hard to compete.

Truth, while these games always have their faithful few, this year was loving stacked, even for turn-based combat. Witness the juggernaut, Baldur's Gate 3. Didn't Jagged Alliance 3 also come out this year.

2023 best gaming year EVER

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

was 2007 the orange box year, I remember that year being overloaded with good poo poo

2007 was amazing too. TF2/Portal/HL2, the first Assassin's Creed, Rock Band, Mass Effect, and Bioshock, and all around the world the absolute domination of the Wii (including Mario Galaxy). poo poo you might be right

2023 has both a new Mario, and Zelda, with a remastered Metroid tho

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any year FROM drop a souls like is goated

Lies of P dropped this 2023, it's like... 95% Souls

Seriously are they paying royalties because drat (it's pretty good tho)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

drat 25 out of 10 is a great score

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

kri kri posted:

phil can you PLEASE just purchase ubi and make them make splinter cell games

Or finish Beyond Good and Evil 2 (remember that?)

Comedy option make another AC game. But good

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Beastie posted:

This is where I am at. I loved Control, but never played Alan Wake. So I got the remaster and by my account I'm like 50% through it.

The game just doesn't hold up anymore. The combat is not fun, the levels are annoying, but the writing oh man the writing loving owns hard.

I think I'll try one more time to power through. After that I'll wait for 2 to hit a sale and watch a recap.

Alan Wake 1 wasn’t a good game, I was surprised when they announced a sequel. I suppose Remedy really liked the story/world. But back then, it had pretty mediocre reviews. I remember thinking it was “ok, if you like this sort of thing”.

Control is freaking awesome tho

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Wiltsghost posted:

Highly recommend Alan Wake 2, game owns.

lol it's only on Epic Game Store

Why, Remedy, why...

:rip:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

swims posted:

Cool I’m going to try it out.

I’m a sucker for arcade style games that are based around replaying them. I think at the time the only other games I was playing was street fighter 3 so Club was my shooting game.

My addictive game right now is Sifu. I bounce from that to Diablo and occasionally still play for honor and get absolutely dunked on in duels.

I just bought the hotline Miami collection and that seems cool. Only did a level or two so far. Badass main menu music right off the bat.

Bah Gawd check out MIDNIGHT FIGHT EXPRESS

Best beat ‘‘em up in a while, wonderful lil game

It’s on ShamePass too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Lies of P question -

I'm at the "Grand Exhibition" level, how far is it until the end? It's overstaying its welcome juuuust a little bit tbh. maybe I just need to take a break

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zachack posted:

If you're getting winded I would take a break. I think you're coming up on the swamp which was just OK, and the last area was honestly kind of a drag in that it goes on way too long.

I really liked the game (stuck on the final boss) but the last area really needed pruning or more variety.

Indeed, the rooms start feeling samey, and the level design seems to lean heavily into “big area”, I’m not sure why but it has definitely lost some steam for me.

Still a solid game tho, definitely try it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Martman posted:

I dunno why I'm so terrible at just, playing games while they're available, but it's kinda fun rushing to see if I can finish stuff before it leaves gamepass. Signalis is freakin sweet, we'll see if I can get it done by tonight

Oh man I hate this

I wish they'd give like... 3 months warning at least. Feels like they give a week or two at most

Signalis was fine but it wasn't for me, wish it was, very well made indie but it just didn't work for me, got a few levels in.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ColdPie posted:

Tbh I'd rather have $28 than a Blizzard game.

I'd prefer a Dairy Queen Blizzard instead

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I think Lies of P is running out of steam for me, because I’m starting to notice things that could be improved. Just wanna roll credits now and it apparently has a bunch of levels to go (I’m at the obligatory swamp level)

For instance, it’s really stingy with components for weapon upgrades, so I’m not trying all the weapons I should be, because gently caress you I’m not giving up my +6, 200+95 damage great sword for some new +0 hammer that would’ve been ok for 10 hours ago. The daggers seemed fun but I couldn’t give up the extra damage AND stagger effect of the great sword. I’m not even equipping new drops because it’s a -100 damage hit

I haven’t really cared about the handles, because I got something that gives you +damage when Fable bars are full, and the Fable attacks seemed underwhelming (or I missed a lot with them)

I should’ve totally picked up the extra amulet slot perk

Also the story took a bit of a turn for the Resident Evilian, I thought this was going to be serious :colbert:

Still, had tons of fun at the beginning so deffo try it on GameAss.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zachack posted:

Also, I think you should have the gold coin tree by now and that lets you respec everything, including quartz p-organ upgrades if you want the amulet bonus.

hot dang that's a Pro Tip right there, danke! I only used the tree for the cube thing, I'll check it again to see about respecs :cheers:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I haven't tried JUSANT, but they list the developer as "DON'T NOD" ???

seems like they changed their name from DONTNOD a few years ago, but it's not nearly as cool.

Remember Me for lyfe! best game of 2013 (except for the bugs)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

American McGay posted:

There’s already sequelbait at the end of the Lies of P credits based on ……….The Wizard of Oz……………………. lmao. DLC I’m kinda meh on. The game was sick but it was definitely overstaying its welcome, dunno what they could do with it.

I haven't played Elden Ring (or any Soulslike really, besides DS3), so I wonder what those do differently that keep people playing hundreds of hours.

Great start on LoP and absolutely worth playing, but would benefit from another design pass to tighten up the latter sections

Still, a wonderful surprise that came out of nowhere afaik

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The Souls franchise has this sad nostalgic depressing atmosphere that Lies of P didn't have, or it wasn't as heavy handed. I know they're good games, and they feel great, but they kinda bum me out. I dunno how I got as far as I did in DS3 (it was a gift so I suppose I had to play it)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

Tbh I haven't tried it yet and I'm still convinced everyone who talks about it being good is loving with me, because grimdark Pinocchio sounds like one of the stupidest premises for a game I can think of. I guess I should give it a try if you're serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg4FG0kCMBU

The wonders of Public Domain :sun:

What was it, like 3 movies based on Pinocchio this year?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I finished the game and found out the TRUTH about Lies of P : it's a bad game :smug:

Nah not really, it's pretty great but the last 3rd of the game is a SLOG. They could've easily cut a few levels to keep the momentum. Am I complaining about too much content in a game? Maybe! It just kinda stopped being fun.

They even did the thing where "oh you're gonna replay this level, but now it's got worse monsters! mwahahahaw!". Did they need to? I mean it was kinda neat, but I felt the game was losing me around that point. Perhaps I didn't get gud fast enough? I did some shameful grinding for a while to get past a couple bosses. It seemed like the story was wrapping up, but no, the levels kept on coming, and maybe I played too much but they started feeling less interesting and there's only so many times I can be surprised by a monster hiding around a corner.

Also I did not enjoy how the story took a big Resident Evilian/Blizzard corruption twist. I don't know what I expected, but the first few levels were really intriguing, and then it drops a mutated wrestler boss, and I'm rolling my eyes somewhat, and it just seems to get worse from then on. It's a fine story for a videogame I suppose, but the initial worldbuilding seemed to promise something cooler or more complex.

I also never found out who the gently caress Monad was, and why I have her lamp, or if it matters, I guess I missed that.

Now, to be clear: It's absolutely a game worth trying. I did finish it for a reason. It was really, really great (at first). So I suppose it hooked me enough to make me want to see the end. And I will absolutely look forward to the sequel.

So if you have GameAss and even a passing interest in Soulslikes, absolutely install it and give it a go. I loved it at first, how it took Edgy Pinocchio so seriously, at least for a while.

Anyway 4/5 Comfys and a pack of Energizer batteries for good ol' Peenocchio

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Duvet covers have gone woke smh

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

I wonder how many kids try and hide their xboxes when a friend comes over because someone got them a wonka or bluey xbox.

Bluey loving owns :colbert:

Blu Cru 4 lyfe

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

drat it, Eastward leaving GameAss in a few days :argh:

Definitely play the RPGs first if you're subscribed

Thankfully I only played like an hour so I'm not too mad about it, it seems like a very nice indie RPG, but I left it "for later"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

otter posted:

Was it pretty good for what you played of it? I bought it on switch but haven’t played it yet.

It seemed... fine? intriguing? A bit of Link to the Past inspiration, great pixel art, combat was not particularly remarkable, but acceptable I guess. Very chatty game, lots of flavor dialogue, maybe a little bit too much. The world seemed kind of original, a post-apocalyptic should-be-depressing-but-it's-goofy vibe.

Didn't hook me enough to play it further at the time, but that's RPGs for you, now that I have some time to try it, it's gone :shrug:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Martman posted:

Beyond Good And Evil Is Overrated

The wrongest take I've ever read in these here awful forums

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

I just bought Remnant 2 on Steam

You’re all welcome

Mind buying Baldur’s Gate 3?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

priznat posted:

Remnant 2 is pretty fun but is it normal to just get wrecked in certain areas by bosses? I have no idea what is going on half the time lol.

I’m wondering if I have wandered into an area while being seriously under levelled.

Haven't played 2 but the first one was like that, yeah. There's a bit of Dark Soulsy influence, you might benefit from some grinding, or getting guder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

priznat posted:

Remnant 2 is really fun once I got with the vibe. I am not a souls game player so was a bit lost but now just dodgerolling around like an old hack.

It's amazing with buddies, if you can wrangle a fellow GAMER to join you in the adventures. It looks so good too!

Probably been playing Diablo 4