Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

bango skank posted:

I played the gently caress out of Human Revolution and Mankind Divided didn't really warrant a second playthrough.

If you enjoyed them then you might enjoy Dishonored?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Twat McTwatterson posted:

I just beat Gears 1 for the first time (and the remastered version came with free downloads for 2, 3, and Judgment), played a little bit of 2, then bought 4 because I found it cheap, played a little... and I realized it was exactly the same. I mean, I knew it was, but it seems like there is absolute zero evolution of the gameplay at all. Like, they're all exactly the same, right?

Gears of War: Judgment was released after the third game and made a lot of changes to how the game played. The community absolutely hated it and the game bombed as a result. Gears of War 4 was a back-to-basics style game designed to give people what they want, and also let the new studio prove that they can make a traditional Gears game while keeping the new additions minor and in the spirit of the franchise, rather than the mess that was Judgment. It's seen just as much evolution as any other shooting game franchise over the years though, and even pioneered some pretty major things for the genre as a whole (e.g. horde mode).

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I saw Forza Horizon 2 is being removed from sale on the Xbox store and somebody mentioned that Forza 5 was already removed previously, and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's still possible to get the free updates for Forza 5 if you own a physical copy or are you out of luck? They added a few free tracks to the game after launch and I don't know if they'd still be available or if everything for that game is now unavailable? I think they were added via patches rather than actual DLC, but I'm not 100% sure.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Exactly. Look at anything that has had full BC available and it's obvious that people use it.

They're going to need it as well with digital game purchases becoming increasingly common. I can't see people who've bought a whole bunch of full-price games digitally being happy if they're told that they don't carry over with their account on the new console they buy. Unless they really want to have a whole bunch of games consoles surrounding their TV, anyways.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

grid 1 was fine. now if you said you liked grid 2 then we'd have some issues.

I wish that they had fleshed out the demolition derby mode in Grid 1 because that's all anyone played online and it was really fun but limited to just one track.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BisterdDave posted:

Guardian Heroes looks like fun, can anyone recommend any other must have exclusive XBLA games? I never played Trials HD, so I'll probably grab that at some point.

If Geometry Wars 2 is backwards compatible I remember that being a really fun XBLA game on 360. It's a twin-stick shooter, and if you like that maybe try Guwange as well? Guwange is more classic arcade bullet hell but also really fun.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Does anybody know of anywhere that still sells Burnout Paradise Xbox 360 full game download codes now that the game has been pulled from the marketplace? Amazon UK and Ebay come up blank and only have physical copies, and I heard that the remaster is apparently terrible? I don't know how/why it is but it seems most people still play the 360 version so thought I'd grab that digitally if there's somewhere that hasn't run out of codes yet.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

univbee posted:

Do they even exist for that game? Digital game codes for full 360 games were extremely rare.

Yeah I saw a page on Amazon UK but they were sold out :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Laserface posted:

The remaster is absolutely fine and runs as good as the original? There is zero reason to play the 360 version.

I read a bunch of complaints about corrupted save files and the game crashing, which apparently wasn't entirely fixed in the last patch so thought I'd get some opinions here since although it would look worse, at least the 360 version wouldn't have those issues. People here seem to have played through the remaster without issue however so I guess those problems can't have been that bad? I'd definitely prefer to grab the remaster.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

My first Halo game was Halo 3 and I had no idea what was going on with the story but I played a multiplayer match on that hill map where one team spawns by water and the other up in a base and some guy charged at me down the hill on one of those quadbike vehicles and I hit him so hard with a gravity hammer that he went flying across the map and exploded on a cliff in the distance and it was awesome.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I know people probably don't care about the Need for Speed series becoming BC but ever since that leak years ago I've been waiting for Hot Pursuit 2010 to become BC because it was basically a Burnout game and EA never ported the DLC to PC. Would be cool if they made Burnout 3 BC as well but EA seems to hate being reminded that they let good IPs die.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ineffiable posted:

The real kicker will be to see if ps5 even carries over the ps4 library while Microsoft already has gone on record to say all Xbox games currently playable on Xbox one will continue to work in the future. I'd still have a Playstation for exclusives but it'd be hard to consider buying third party games on Playstation if I don't even have the confidence that I could have access to it on the next console.

It's pretty much guaranteed to use the same architecture so it should be a no-brainer, but at the same time all the PS4 owners who insist BC is useless love to buy remasters of PS3 games so Sony will probably be dumb and go without BC.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Does anyone here own the Master Chief Collection? If so, does it show playercounts for the multiplayer of each game now that they added the option to install specific games? I'm curious roughly how many people are playing each of the four games online since I've been going back and forth between picking up MCC or the specific games I like via BC. I like that you can just install multiplayer and ignore singleplayer completely but I saw the multiplayer mashed all four games into each mode and I'd rather just install the specific games I want to play and stick to them but I don't know if they're dead or not? Everyone hates Halo 4 for example, what's the playerbase like for that in MCC if the only part of the collection installed is the multiplayer component of that game?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Between the PC master race thing, and just the Steam community being overloaded with chuds, alt-right'ers, and neo-nazi's that Valve does nothing about, the PC community is the absolute worst.

This is why Xbox games going to PC didn't deter me from buying a One X. It's not just the technical issues and requirements (upgrading the hardware to run this stuff would have been more expensive than the console since I'd have needed a whole new rig) but just a more relaxed and easy atmosphere without the bullshit. The BC was just a really nice bonus (getting to play Burnout and SSX again has been really fun). I still like Steam but at this point it's literally just for indie games since they'll still run on old hardware, and seeing the fuckery that Epic's store is causing makes me glad that I'm sticking with consoles because who needs ten different launchers firing up constantly depending on what publisher made the game that you want to play?

I just hope that going forward Microsoft and Sony can come to an agreement on crossplay since Games as a Service is becoming increasingly prevalent so why not have everyone together? I have Titanfall 2 for PS4 but ended up buying a second copy on sale for my Xbox since it has a bigger playerbase there and it's nice playing on hardware that doesn't sound like a jet engine for a change. I wish stuff like that wasn't an issue. I see the argument for separating PC players from console (seems fine in Gears 4, though) but keeping consoles separated is just petty.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

It's dumb as hell how complicated sports games have gotten. I don't know how anyone actually likes them. The only kinds of games where it even makes sense is a flight sim or a driving sim because you can have control schemes that match 1:1 with the thing they are replicating. Just give me a shoot button and a fight button.

The last sports game I enjoyed was Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii. That game was so fun to play with friends and I can't figure out why Nintendo never made one for the Wii U or Switch.

Oh also SSX that came out back in 2012 or something. Wasn't as good as the old ones but still really fun and the online implementation owned. Shame about all the death pits and silly survival stages, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Do many people play Overwatch on the Bone? Was thinking about getting it on sale but it's a few years old now and looking at Twitch it seems most people that play it are on PC. Is it even worthwhile for someone new to jump into a game like that at this point in its life?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

Show was not good for me.
No capcom
Very little gameplay in any of the major trailers.
Flight sim and pso2 were cool though

Same here. I just wanted to see Gears 5 multiplayer but they're saving that for later which sucks. Was excited for Forza Horizon 4 DLC but that Lego thing looks really lame, especially in comparison to the Hot Wheels DLC for Horizon 3 that was really cool. Other than that there wasn't much to get excited about but the acquisition of Double Fine was a genuine surprise and it's going to be years before we see a lot of these acquisitions pay off but after seeing Sony's studios shut down and shrink over the course of this generation it's nice to see Microsoft expand so much and acquire so many varied developers. They really screwed up by not acquiring Respawn at the start of the gen when they funded Titanfall development, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ixnay posted:

Welp, they just announced a new set of backwards compatible games, but also that these are the last games they doing backwards compatibility for

This is unfortunate but they've probably just hit licensing hurdles with everything else. It sucks we never got the obvious ones like Jet Set Radio Future or Burnout 3 but I was also really hoping for Beautiful Katamari and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (the awesome Burnout-styled one from 2010). Hot Pursuit is great on PC but EA never ported the DLC over so I hoped for a chance to dive right back into it. Who knows, since we got a Burnout Paradise remaster maybe they'll do the right thing and remaster Hot Pursuit since it was the last good NFS game. The franchise itself seems to be dead nowadays, kinda like most of EA's other non-sport IPs, so it's guaranteed to be much better than whatever their NFS studio might be or is working on.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Soul Glo posted:

I wish the console wouldn't turn off to idle while stuff's downloading. :argh:

You can change the power save settings so the console never turns off at all. It's what I did when I got the console and setup Gears 4 and Red Dead 2 for download along with some others which I knew would take a couple of days.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Gears multiplayer owns but I wish they'd stop obsessing over dumb esports stuff and just stick to the basics. Bring back the hammer of dawn and the flamethrower

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Funnily enough Gears multiplayer was hugely popular right up until they decided to focus on eSports. Similar thing happened with Halo, stripped back the craziness and fun to make it super serious for the competitive scene which shrunk because people just didn't find it as enjoyable any more. Bungie made the same mistake with Destiny 2 multiplayer as well, but have managed to partially revert things back over time.

I do remember Gears 2 having completely broken multiplayer at launch and for a little while after however since it took them ages to fix the servers, and then people got turned off by smoke grenades causing ragdolls which I thought was hilarious but they removed that feature. Probably for the best since it caused a whole mess of glitches for getting outside maps but it was funny as hell watching bodies fly everywhere from a smoke grenade going off. Basically though eSports is cancer to any fun multiplayer game.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Reach multiplayer suffered because of the abilities that in retrospect were obviously Bungie using their last MS game to field test Destiny supers in a PvP environment. I remember one video that made the rounds that captured the issue perfectly with two guys constantly entering amor lock. I didn't think Halo 4 was too bad it's just that there wasn't many maps available so a franchise known for multiplayer was pretty barebones at launch, I got sick of seeing Haven within the first week and they only had 5 maps for each playlist so you kept seeing the same ones over and over whether you went normal Slayer or Big Team. I haven't even played Halo 5 but it looked like there were even less maps and they were basically copies of each other with zero variety, I don't know what they were thinking there.

I do like Gears 4, I just wish the seriousness was dropped and they'd kept more fun stuff. So many of the new maps were terrible, too.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Playing the Gears 5 tech test. It sure is... Gears. Not sure how this series survived so long with basically no innovation.

They innovated with Judgment so much that everybody hated it and Epic sold the IP. Coalition is taking the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" route and giving the playerbase what they actually want. There's still plenty of new things but they're not completely reinventing it because that would be stupid. The core Gears gameplay freakin' owns so some new mechanics and weapons and modes is good and that's all that's needed because the only thing that matters is if something's fun to play, not if it's reinvented the wheel.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Zat posted:

In case anyone cares:

You can get all the DLC for Forza Motorsport 6 (current GwG) for just $4.99 right now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/forza-motorsport-6-complete-add-ons-collection/bs5crfz22rmt

Is all of that content in Forza 7?

I've got Forza 5 (no DLC) and was thinking about skipping to Forza 7 instead since presumably it would contain all the F5 & F6 content and DLC as well as all the new stuff (like Maple Valley, which is one of my favorite tracks in the series).

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Hey, me and a bunch of goons are enjoying Gears 5

I have the game installed yet won't have a chance to actually play it for about a week but is the Hammer of Dawn back? I really missed that weapon (along with the flamethrower and mortar launcher) and it looked like one was firing in the background of one of the more recent trailers? I know people are raving about the campaign but I like PvP a lot and although it was really nice seeing an upgraded 60fps version of Canals in Gears 4, I was disappointed that a lot of fun power weapons had been removed from the game (dropshot replacing digger was fine though, and that sawblade weapon was great). That new melee club thing looks great, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No matter how obvious it was that problems like "we let Bungie go" wasn't going to be solved by throwing money at it, it's still really shocking to see every single tentpole exclusive for MS outside of Forza just fall over and catch on fire.

I think they did a good job salvaging Gears after Epic nearly killed the IP with how awful Judgment was. Gears 4 was essentially going straight back to the third game and making the bare minimum changes just so they had a foundation and could prove they knew what they were doing, and 5 is now expanding on that a little. I'm glad that they're not loving with the formula or trying to reinvent the franchise.

343 really poo poo the bed with Halo though and you could see in Halo 4 how they were using a lot of design ideas Bungie had planned for Destiny (Spartan Ops were basically Destiny strikes/nightfalls, for example) but it was very technically impressive given the hardware it was running on. Don't know what they were thinking with Halo 5.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Nobody ITT posted the Jim Sterling video where he puts the blame on Microsoft for much of the worst excesses of the AAA video game industry. I think calling them the prime mover is a bit much because the EAs and Activisions of the world would have done it without their approval, but the Xbox One shoehorning microtransactions into their exclusives certainly didn't help.

Wasn't it Bethesda that started all of that with the horse armor for Oblivion early last console gen? I think they were the first ones to do it and there was an uproar at the time with people complaining about what it would lead to if it was accepted and they were completely right :aaa:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BrownieVK posted:

I will still fight anyone to the death that Halo 5 has the BEST multiplayer in the series. It's all about map control and power weapons spawing on timers like H1 just with more movement ability. Getting sweaty in H5 was some of the best video gaming of my life.

The single player sucks rear end though lol

I'm probably the only person that liked Halo 4 multiplayer but while the core gameplay mechanics of Halo 5 multiplayer look good, the maps look atrocious every time I watch someone play and it's made even worse by the lack of visual variety for them. Halo 4 was good on this front since it had an even split of normal/BTB maps that were all very distinct, but the multiplayer in Halo 5 really looks like an afterthought with how barren the content seems to be.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BrownieVK posted:

Most of the maps are plain on purpose. There's the whole "it's a training sim" and they were focusing on trying to push Halo into esports and streaming more. A good portion of the smaller maps are arenas that are boring to look at I'll agree. Not sure why other posters think Halo 5 is cod-ified when in ranked lists you all spawn with the same weapons there's no more loadouts, and all of the power weapons are on set timers. There's also no call ins or drops like H4 had. It's literally as close to quake or something as a newer fps can get.
Warzone is the portion of multiplayer where you spend cards to buy/spawn with cool poo poo, but it's entirely optional and not the core multi.

Yeah I think I know what you're referring to, the kinda digital-ish grid-like maps that each team is launched onto at the start of a round? I can get why they look the way they do. I'm referring more to the traditional slayer maps such as one that's on top of a building during day and then there's another that seems to use the exact same geometry models but it's set at night, and then there's the remake of that classic map and another version of it that's upside-down, and then the ugly remake of Haven from Halo 4. It's such a small and unvaried set compared to Halo 4 which was really diverse and aside from that one that was a station floating in space (forget the name) all the others were really good, even though it felt like most slayer matches were Haven votes and BTB votes always went to that really green map.

I like that they're sticking to power weapons scattered around the maps however because it does so much for gameplay. I think Halo 4 had that as well? I know you could call stuff down (weapons or overshield etc.) but I remember running for the sword on one map (on the lower level of the map with a huge sun in the skybox) and picking up weapons around others as well, along with the mad rush for people wanting the mech on maps that had it. I think that and Gears are the only games that really do the power weapon thing any more and it's a shame, it allows more crazy/fun/overpowered weapons to be in shooters and they're auto-balanced by players having to fight for them and pick them up as a reward. Gears 5 seems to have the same problem as Halo 5 however, the multiplayer content is really lacking and there just isn't many maps at all. Gears 4 still owns, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BrownieVK posted:

I'm buying Fallen order full price on release to attempt to show EA that we would like more narrative driven single player experiences without lootbox gambling or games as service bullshit. Plus I support respawn and hope we get another Titanfall.
Not that it matters lol

I think Titanfall is a dead IP but thankfully both games have active playerbases on the Bone still. TF1 has a small playerbase (a few hundred, I think) but you can still get full lobbies and it still owns.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think there is a TF3 in development?

I remember there were rumors and then Apex Legends came out and was set in the Titanfall universe and the TF3 rumors stopped, so I guess people who heard about Apex early and spread the rumors thought it was the next Titanfall game. If they do make a new one however I hope it's more like TF1 than TF2. The first game felt like the Burnout of FPS games and TF2 felt more like Gran Turismo in comparison. They added some really cool stuff (e.g. grappling hook) but it lacked the arcade-y pick-up-and-play fun of the first game, in my opinion. So many bad maps, too :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Don't care how big it is as long as it's quiet. I'm glad they pay attention to stuff like that because it's probably my biggest pet peeve with the PS4.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ethanol posted:

two of my favorite new games in the last year look a lot better on the pro: death stranding and persona 5

If they're your favorite games why are you whining about the xbox instead of playing them?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Lunchposting owns, but my coffee is nearly cold now. Perhaps it is me who has been owned.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wheany posted:

That's only because the devs don't think people want 60fps over prettier graphics. And it's never going to change. This is exactly what people said about the previous generation too. The only exception are VR games because lower/uneven frame rates actually make people physically sick.

I dunno, all the most popular franchises are 60fps games, and I don't think that's a coincidence. Perhaps "60fps" isn't a bullet point you can put up to appeal to people, but subconsciously at least they gravitate to games that offer that experience more than 30fps games.

American McGay posted:

Also played through Minit on Game Pass and thought it was a great little game. The music was super charming and the "60 second chunks" gameplay was a lot more fun than I expected it to be.

The people who made that also made a game called Nuclear Throne which is secretly one of the best games of the gen. I'd recommend picking it up on Steam just because it's one of those games where mouse aiming really is better, but it is a freakin' awesome pick-up-and-play game that everyone should own. The aiming issue is kinda similar to Hotline Miami (also really good) whereby controller is okay and somewhat serviceable but it's so much more fun to play with a mouse and keyboard. While you're at it, also check out Downwell. These are all charming short-burst retro styled games that might have passed under your radar but if you like Minit watch some trailers/gameplay for these games and see if you dig them. They're some of my favorite games. Oh, Spelunky as well, that's also really good.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 15, 2019

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

univbee posted:

It absolutely does, a good chunk of setups don't have a space with that much vertical clearance.

Where do you put the Xbox Series X in something like this?

univbee posted:

Here's another one. This is approximately my home setup, same stand, but the TV is the full width of the cabinet so can't put anything higher than a few inches on top or it'll block the screen.

Where do you put your speakers? Where do you put your subwoofer? Where do you put your receiver? Where do you put anything? Do you even have room for a couch?

Where are you going to put this?

lol jk we know you got a pedestal ready.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I live in the UK too and what you're saying only applies if you're one of those unfortunate fucks stuck paying through the nose to rent a cupboard in London where a one bedroom flat has been converted into five separate abodes. Also, if you're a UK resident then the size of the new Xbox console should be the least of your concerns lol

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I didn't think anyone even gave a poo poo about Halo any more but people been going nuts for Reach so wtf

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Just let Apple design it they're really good at making small hardware that's quiet and efficient. The new Xbox actually kinda looks like they've taken some cues from them anyways judging by the vents.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

Their new pro has a 30,000 dollar upgrade to 1.5 teraflops of ram. Powerful inspiration for microsoft.

That owns. The cost etc. is absurd but seeing the specs for that stuff with all the maxed out options and seeing them fit it all into such a small space that runs completely silent is really impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

doingitwrong posted:

The trashcan Mac Pro failed to account for the rise of GPUs and they painted themselves into a “thermal corner” so bad that the line sat untouched for 2,182 days. The iMac Pro is apparently so well cooled with well considered fans that it runs close to silent at full load. So if really depends on which Apple we’d get designing it. Also, and I say this as someone who went a decade and a half without touching Windows, Apple does NOT get games.

Ya. I use Bootcamp to play Windows games but mainly stick to consoles now. PC gaming is good but not for me anymore. I really wish Apple would release a 21:9 iMac however because ultrawide monitors own for multitasking so much and the 27" iMac is great but a 34" ultrawide would be awesome.