Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
FFXIV has a setting bible. WoW just seems to make up stuff like it's a comic book whenever they write a piece of a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Gaius is in this weird area where his philosophy marries "might makes right" and "with great power comes great responsibility." It's just that, y'know, the responsibility is to rule people for their own good without much moral consideration as to how you get to that point or how you sort it out after the fact.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I probably would've liked Yotsuyu and her story and the concepts therein if it hadn't been revealed to us with her crying about how she was so evil because her life was terrible just before she "died," after her entire presence in 4.0 had been her being a self-indulgent sadist. Made extra ridiculous by everyone pausing as Gosetsu is literally holding up an entire building from falling on them for her to deliver it.

I think what was there was good, but hoo boy was its execution... something.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Solovey posted:

if this plot thread gets dropped or glossed over in the next expac, as has sometimes been the case with past plot threads that were actually important to people who aren't me, then i tell you i am going to be very extremely cross

Perhaps Shadowbringer will be the xpac where we finally give Cid his goggles.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Summoning being easy is relatively new to Eorzea. Louiseax wasn't trying to summon the Twelve, he was trying to invoke their power without summoning them There's even a MSQ where the Ascians are trying to get some kids to summon Rhalgr, and Ramuh may just be a cultural diversion from him.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Bolow posted:

That's the weird thing about the twelve, they're not summonable as far as we know. If they were we would've probably gotten Rhalgr instead of Shinryu when SLOPPEH died. So someone or something prevents them from being manifested as a primal.

There are lots of reasons why we got Shinryu and not Rhalgr. The game itself goes over them: wanting a form that embodied the destruction wrought by the Calamity, using the draconic aether of the eyes, etc. The Twelve are likely as capable of being summoned as anything else people believe in enough and feed enough aether, considering the Ascians were trying to get Ala Mhigan refugees to do it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Tashilicious posted:

I meant outside of that quest thing.

No. At no point has that ever been a thing. We've had Louisoix working hard not to summon them, and some teens being manipulated by an Ascian into doing it. At no point have the Twelve ever been declared as incapable of being summoned. More than that, with their gradual de-emphasis and because of those lines, it's looking more and more likely that the Twelve are just another in the long line of gods various societies have made up for themselves and are no different than Ifrit or Susano.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I thought BLU was great fun for what it was trying to be and I appreciated it for that. Either they could remove everything peopled generally liked about BLU to have it fall in line with the MMO trifecta paradigm, or they could have it be its own thing. While I pretty much burned out all there was for it to do within a month, I enjoyed it during that period and hope they add more onto its own little mini-game in the future, and hope that it was successful enough they consider adapting more things into the Limited Job system with their own mechanics and gameplay conceits.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I think calling it poorly-implemented is a stretch. There were elements to it which could've been done better--spell drop rate being the most obvious--but beyond that I don't think the rest of it could be considered so egregious. I think they set out to do something with it, and that issue aside they implemented it well enough. Hopefully, between this and a few of the Eureka bits, they use the experience to improve future iterations or similar ideas.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

DizzyBum posted:

I was MCH during that cutscene and I can confirm it looks pretty dope to see yourself rushing forward with your gun.

Lyse: *does a series of elaborate katas, mentally and physically preparing herself for combat*

WoL: *pulls out a loving pistol*

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was joking about the Kingdom Hearts thing, but now I noticed this Lalafell has silver hair and yellow eyes. :tinfoil:

LALA GOT NORTED

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

ImpAtom posted:

I just need to point out that following this rule would mean you have to do all of Eureka including the optional superdungeon!

BA is pretty fun!

Also I got everything from it and am never going back, you can't make me.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
BLU's a fun class if you're one of those dudes who likes farming small RNG drops and building loadouts. Farming all of them would probably a little frustrating now without a few friends, but you don't really need all of them in order to do the content they're designed for, the Masked Carnivale. Carnivale's alright. The puzzle fights are fun on a first go-through and they're an easy source of weekly allied seals, but depending on how voraciously you devour content it can all be over quickly and just leave you with some weekly duties to quickly blow through for currency.

There might be some ways to amuse yourself finding alternate methods and solutions in the Masked Carnivale using different skill loadouts, but I couldn't say since that wasn't really my thing. I got two weeks out of the class and had fun with it during them, and I'm hoping they do more with it down the road. I don't think it's ever going to be anything but a quick short side minigame thing though.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 8, 2019

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

garfield hentai posted:

Am I missing something with what I can put in my dresser? I just finished the MSQ and got the gear from the last quest, which is all statless glamour fodder, but it won't let me put it in my dresser. Isn't that the entire point with these statless sets?

Also I have never done any glamours at all ever so maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about

It probably should be, but these days what you can shove in the armoire boils down to seasonal event rewards and cross-platform promotional materials. They fit into the glamour dresser, but you need a glamour prism per item you put in it to do so. You'll find glamour dressers in any inn room and squadron chambers.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

CYBEReris posted:

The 70 Hildibrand is even worse. The thing that makes Hildibrand work is when he has an exasperated straight man to play off, and the counterpart in that line is way too enthusiastically supportive for any of the humor to stick.

It gave us Kugane Ohashi so you shut your goddamn mouth.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So, giving you every piece of the class armor set except the chest is kind of a dick move. Especially when your class trainer lives in a frozen hellhole.

give me my shirt you dragon-humping sonsabitches.
Picture taken shortly before goon friends got me an appropriate matching top

don't kinkshame Alberic

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I'd wait to see a bit more before deciding that Solus is a reliable and unbiased source.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
What ultimately got me to switch was that FFXIV had more interest in telling a cohesive story, and I'd begun to feel that WoW's design was becoming increasingly more cynical with even more treadmills and treadmills to run on to get to those treadmills.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

He also says:

Which seems like a reasonable corporate PR type perspective. His previous quote about personal expression was good.

The flood of light comparison was pretty daft though.

Was that from the interview where he said a paragraph of words that sounded decent and progressive, but then when you go back a paragraph it's clear he's trying to get us to empathize with an intolerant mother?

Edit: no it's not I just can't read right

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
When it comes to representation and fashion options and in-game marriage, FFXIV is significantly better than most MMOs and many games, and it's very much heading in the right direction, and as far as Yoshida's statements goes there's a kernel of decency in the idea of trying to empathize, and maybe the particular tone is strictly a result of a sapir-whorf translation miscommunication or tempered by a perceived recognition of the realities of cultural shifts,

but drat if it's not disappointing to hear the same sentiment twice and not have it unambiguously be on the idea of gay and trans people deserving recognition and acceptance regardless of the intolerance of others.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I can also dress in a bunny suit and get gay married by a floating fuzzball.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Namnesor posted:

When I was on Gilgamesh I got a few "hot boi" comments, but from Excal or Ultros, I've gotten nothing

which is rude because I'm out here looking like this

What chestpiece is that? I am digging the bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

ShB Patch Notes posted:

A target's HP can now be displayed in increments of 0.1% when it has less than 1% HP remaining.

JUST TWIST THE KNIFE FURTHER