Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Am I reading this 1 Ilm punch description right? It's a stun that doesn't build up stun resistance on the target so you can stun it every time you go through your rotation if you wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Bonus:
I formed a map squad, and went to meet them at the first location. Imagine my horror:

The most early 2000's of rock album covers

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Eh, correct spelling would be too much ifirt.

:haw:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

All I really want storywise in the next expansion is for Alisae to grow about an inch taller then Alphinaud and just absolutely lord it over him.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I'm setting Bootshine to "Normal Consecutive Punches" and forbidden chakra to "Serious Punch".

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I want to start making my own gear and tools for crafting and I'm pretty much starting from scratch, all non hq 70 vender gear. My plan is to farm yellow scrips for the tools then I imagine I would have to hq some of the twin silk gear before trying for the next tier. Will I need to meld my standard gear before attempting to hq the twin silk set? I don't really know if these are the right questions to be asking, Im just trying get advice on the best way to get my foot in the door to higher level crafting.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Now I feel guilty because I just had a tank who was leaving one mob alive before taking off so I could keep greased lightning up while we headed off to the next pull. I'd never seen that before and I asked him if he was doing it on purpose and he said yes and I was just overwhelmed with emotion.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I think a lot of monk's jank could be fixed by just making riddle of earth a pure defensive cooldown and making a riddle of wind that holds your gl stacks in place for like 60 seconds or something. Put stance swapping on a ten second cooldown so it still won't save you if you legitimately gently caress up during a fight. You still get punished for being bad but not if it is literally impossible for you to maintain your stacks.

Or gently caress all that and lower perfect balance's cooldown to something reasonable for gods sake.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 20, 2017

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Have healers always been this insane in PVP because my god man trying to kill even one by himself is just an exercise in frustration.

The best tactic for dealing with a healer in a 1v1 situation is to do the moonlift dance and hope to make a friend. Alternate black mage strat: swiftcast sleep then cast return because no one's got time for that poo poo.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Bremma posted:

I initially played with controller but even with all the expanded cross bars, I was running out of space for skills on MNK and SAM (and forget trying to heal). I moved to keyboard and mouse a month ago, and I use 1-5 and ERF and ALT+ those keys for my main skills (eg my normal SAM attacks are 1-4, Alt 1-3 for Keiten and 3rd step moves, ERF for AOE, and DPS on 1-3 for A, 4 for Essential Dignity, ST, Alt+1-4 for Cards, ERF and alt for various heals and Esuna) and tend to mouse target over targeting with the F keys. Anything else I tend to click as it's normally a special need (eg self heals, aggro drop, limit break, stance change, etc). I'm pretty happy with it. I wish I could use CTRL and SHIFT for more space, but my tiny hands make those harder to reach reliabily and still be able to use WSAD to move about. Though for heals I may look into mouse-over macros since I use mouse to target half the time.

I'm a monk and people might already do this but I set up two nearly identical hot bars just slightly tweaked for AoE or single target. Arm of the Destroyer/ Rockbreaker slotted in for dragon kick/demolish and goad replacing form shift as I usually don't flick over until the fight starts. You never really need to overlap most AoE skills with single target skills but keeping two similar hot bars helps it flow better and feel more familiar then double tapping while remaining in my original hot bar for me. So I sit in my AoE hot bar for most of the dungeon without having to double tap for any skills then just press R1 to go to my single target hot bar when it's boss time or when the trash is almost done. I still have to keep stuff like PB, mantra and limit break on the expanded cross bars though.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 30, 2017

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

.....futon brain? I'm not sure if autocorrect is to blame here, or a badly-translated Japanese joke involving wind, or _an actual futon_.

A dumb comic relief character referring to her cyborg partner's positronic photon brain.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Oh boy.

I hear the Monk questline is also infested with jerks.

Starting as a pugilist is amazing. Hamon Holyfist is basically Master Roshi, right down to helping mold an idiot into the future savior of the multiverse. Widargelt is a piss poor Piccolo though.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Honestly my dream mount is Dark Helmet.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Even if you hate doing the missions, the ixali turn ins are pretty great. The stuff they ask for sold for like 500 gil hq on my server, especially alchemist and culinarian, and you can turn it in with any class(you can turn in the alchemist items but still complete the quest in a different class to get the experience chunk.)

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I've had a couple instances in LotA where all three tanks absolutely refused to pull and wouldn't attempt to take the boss if someone else pulled. The first time we ended up kicking because they wouldn't even respond and getting new tanks but the second time one of them squeaked "I'm only in 110 gear, someone else tank" and that's when the vote abandon came out. Which is unfortunate because it is easy as hell replacing tanks in alliance roulette. I think alliance roulette is becoming a popular tank leveling method for people who don't want to tank and just pray to god someone else does it and they can hide.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Xenogears probably wins the evil faux catholic competition. The pope and archbishops molested orphans then sold them to anime nazi cannibals.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

If the potential to misuse a skill makes that skill bad then I have some bad news about most skills.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Goldsmith 50-60 are low key really good to me. I really liked that we went ten levels just trying to make a sweet elderly roegadyn couple the greatest anniversary gifts of all time.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Squadron missions can also get you a ton of 15 percent battle exp bonus manuals. They don't stack with free company bonuses but if your FC doesn't have the max bonus up constantly they help.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

This is the greatest day of my life.

EDIT:

I DEFY MAN AND GOD

Obligatory Denmo video for fat choco discussions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJugrJsYKl4

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Beastmaster tank. All their cooldowns involve calling in an animal to take the hit for you which then explodes in blood. A squirrel for a low level cooldown and an elephant or mammoth for your level 50 skill.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

If there is a blue mage there might be a hook for a class trainer in the lore book that would own. During the scions exile it says that Coultenant spent the entire time studying a new magical art from Thavnair and he is busy incorporating it into his current techniques.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Never gonna Dun Scaith again, pubbies suck and I got the minion.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Primals are like Old Testament Gods full of wrath and fire and commands while the WoL is like Jesus, God in a human body, and stuff like making stew is like how Jesus would wash people's feet which they would have added during 2.X but they try not to give the foot fetishists much to latch onto.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Listen

I'm going to be thinking about this vegetable game of thrones stuff for weeks

Her videos tend to do that, I still cannot go to a housing area without getting her Shirogane song in my head.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

There is also a Mandragora Prince out there but it is not clear if he is connected to the Tomato King's line or if he is from a rival house. His FATE description is great though:

"While little is known about mandragoras, what is known tends to be quite disturbing.

Such is the case with the Mandragora Prince, who is rumored to journey to the sites of slaughters so it might feed off the blood-soaked loam.

It is probably best to not let it feed off the blood-soaked loam."

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

That cut scene at the end of Wanderer’s Palace Hard.

Oh my god

If you haven't done Tam Tara Hard yet you might want to see if you can run it with friends who will let you stop and read the flavor text along the way.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I feel like at some point we are going to have to unite with the beast tribes so they could make their home turf into new zones for an expansion as we try to make peace. They could even do a sahagan underwater area now too. I think a zone based on the Xephatol dungeon for the Ixal with zip lines and bridges and balloons and stuff could be kinda cool too.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

ARR has its own unified Beast Tribe Questline for maxing all reps. So does HW. It goes to stand that SB will also have its own.

Unless you're talking about combining all three together. In that case, your guess is as good as any.

I'm talking about MSQ wise where we might try to make peace with the beast tribes as a whole to stop the cycle of primal summoning and possibly gently caress up the garleans and not just chilling with small pockets of oddballs and rejects. Like to me it just seems like that will eventually happen. Like maybe too many are tempered now but I always assumed their home areas that we haven't visited yet had a bunch of non tempered folks.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Had a tank in Skalla pulling wall to wall, which was great, except after the second boss he grabbed the next pack and ran right off the cliff. He got my comm for his purity.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

The lore book made me like every character. Minfilia is a miner and met Tataru while selling off some stones to the goldsmith guild where Tataru was basically working as a child slave accountant because Ul'dah is a loving awful place. So Minfilia is like come be an accountant for a secret world preservation task force instead.

This is all a fever dream of a slowly dying enslaved child Tataru is what I am saying.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

pupuru posted:

there was a random carbunkle hanging out on top of this stall for whatever reason

There is actually an arcanist catgirl wandering around Mor dhona sniffing the air and trying to find her carbuncle who hides in various places.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I think you can only get it direct from squares online store but it's 300 pages of awesome poo poo. Such as Kan E Senna is a lush, yshtola collects shoes and those octopus monsters are called void monks because the first time anyone saw one was when a monk threw a punch so hard it ripped open a hole to the void and one escaped.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I love Monk, it's rhythmic, fast and its combos aren't as rigid as some other dps and picking your next attack and matching it with the right position adds some flavor. AoE situations have an added element as well because your 4 AoE attacks are split between cones and circular attacks so you are dancing with the pack and the tank, jumping in and out to line up your next shot. There is just a layer of jank to some skills that doesnt need to be there and has been there for a long, long time.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Actually she talks like final fantasy Winnie the Pooh and she owns.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

All I know is she punted a mascot comic relief character and dropped my favorite quote of the expansion: "What you learned sounds a lot more useful. Unless someone invites us for dinner, of course. I hope they do."

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Any fave cutscenes in the game?

I'll bring one up that isn't in the main story and if you don't touch crafting you would never see it. The Heavensward culinarian quest line took a sudden, sharp turn at level 60 from the usual fare right into Hildebrand territory. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wD2LLfy5mDE

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Hate to be all gently caress you got mine, but Perfect Balance being put on a 60 second cooldown is some rad poo poo and it's been a long time coming. Not sure how RoW changes will shake out with openers or whatever but goddamn, PB on a reasonable cooldown, yes goddamn yes, thank you.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I can't wait to start nearly every dungeon pull with 6 Rockbreakers. One thing I'm not sure about with the RoW change is how it interacts with the other stances. Like will you literally just start every pull jumping into RoW then jumping back into Fists of Fire? Seems weird but I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Frontlines warsteads will be able to fly soon. Finally Normal Horse takes to the skies.