Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I climbed a tower. I did not succeed at reaching the top. I'll try again another day I'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blattdorf posted:

Summoner feels disappointing to me after how much I liked the class in 3.0. It all boils down to Ruin spam in between other spells that lead to more Ruin spam.

I've even written a long tirade over it that wasn't particularly well-received because "Summoner is strong". So what? It's now boring as poo poo. I caught myself yawning a few times when fighting something because of how much Ruin 1 you have to cast to be efficient.

My few points about SMN that would maybe need to change (the short version):

- If we have to use Ruin all the time, at least change the Ruin mechanic. I'd prefer the spell to be channeled, so that you can continue to cast it while not having to press the stupid button every single time.

- Change Egi skills. Someone had to point out to me that Contagion got changed and Radiant Shield, too, so now it's a choice between shielding the party and reducing resistance to magic. My problem is that Egi should just cast their standard set of skills automatically, while giving you some additional situational skills, for example blow up Ifrit for massive aoe damage, but you get locked out of Egi summoning for a duration.

- Since you would be channeling Ruin, you'd have an easier time with micro-managing your summons.

- Change Dreadwyrm Trance to offer additional boosts instead of a "you can cast Ruin III now" thing. But no, they just threw on more stacks on top.

I actually like some of the change to Summoner, but the changes simply exacerbated the fact that the class is becoming less and less about being a Summoner, and more like an Arcanist with middling benefits. Maybe the skills do the proper amount of damage, maybe there is an optimal rotation, but it doesn't feel like what I do matters all that much and I'm honestly dreading getting into a battle.

Radiant shield and contagion essentially do the same thing other than one is physical and the other is magical. Radiant shield is just indirect about it by needing the mob to hit a tank with radiant shield first before they get inflicted with a debuff that reduces their physical resistance, while Garuda can just place that debuff directly that'll reduce their magical resistance. So basically, summoners pick their pets based off of party makeup now, so if it's a mostly magical party, you bring Garuda who essentially has foe's requiem now, and ifrit for physical.

Anyways, I found myself with enough surplus mp between DTs that spamming ruin 3 outside of DT still seems viable to me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

macfam posted:

I don't know about the other jobs but sumoner's job quests don't seem sustainable. All the other summoners have been dead for thousands of years, there's no one left to teach you. They can't keep pulling recovered allagan texts out of their rear end every expansion. I could be wrong, maybe you become the indisputable master of every job in sb, it still leaves the question of 'what do you do from here?'.

We start delving into magiteck books clearly, or whatever tome is relevant for the next location of the next expansion since being able to summon Bahamut is a pretty high peak at the moment. Or we start inventing more new techniques since we literally made up Deathflare on the spot to blow up an Ascian.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Alternately, if they ever decide to add more summons, maybe we can start pursuing Odin or Voidsent

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Carmant posted:

Thats cool the first few times but it gets really old after two expansions. I think they need to kill off the Warrior of Light and bring things back down to earth a bit.

This happened already. It didn't take

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but I mean beyond that. It's weird to have an optional objective with no real point is all

Flavor differences are nice.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dogsicle posted:

Given what I've heard about the DRG/MSQ questline fuckery between ARR and HW, I can see there being legitimate worry about constantly bringing him back in. It's a shame there aren't more good side characters to weave into the MSQ though.

They already brought in Y'mhitra once. I can see them giving her a bigger role whenever Summoner gets their day in the sun, presumably whenever primals become a big deal again.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

pupuru posted:

uh so I've done all the quests in The Churning Mists and I still don't have the Moogle tribe?

Did you do the sidequest chain that starts in Ishgard where they explore the other half of churning mists?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm just past the Sultana waking up in HW. You're right, he does have more personality, I just wish he was a bit more three-dimensional.

It improves once you get more characters around to make fun of him, who knew him before he became a leader on the world stage.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Safeword posted:

So when does this hugely tedious stretch of story happen? I'm assuming when I best Ultima Weapon, something I would have loved to have gone in without hearing about it first.

I also assume its not as bad as made out!

It has a lot of subtle build-up that's not obvious on first glance, so despite things seeming like padding, there'll be a point things will ramp up and then there will be a large avalanche of dramatic developments. If you can, I recommend doing Hildebrand, Crystal Tower, and if you can find friends, Coil while you're running around doing the MSQ too cause those have lots of cool content and plot beats that eventually come back around Stormblood, and breaks up the slower moments during 2.x

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't recognise the hat, but the dress is the healer set from the first set of Heavensward 60 dungeons. It's the Valarian Shaman set. There are recolours available as vendor gear somewhere in Stormblood.

The hat is the preorder bonus. It's Matoya's hat

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ytlaya posted:

Should I be at all concerned that if I don't finish the MSQ soon enough it'll be hard to find people to do all the Stormblood raid content with, or do I have a while? At my current rate it'll probably be at least a couple weeks until I finish that. Doing the Binding Coils stuff actually makes me kind of curious about these raids, even though I've never really raided in an MMO before; it's kinda fun learning the mechanics and doing them correctly, and the plot stuff was also cool. I'm currently periodically checking Party Finder for the Heavensward raids (they actually seem to be less common on there than Binding Coils for some reason).

Nah you’re fine. Coil is the only raid that’s not in roulette, so you’re bound to get the HW and SB raids sooner or later. Most parties doing them in Party Finder are doing it for WTs at this point so they can unsync it quickly

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

So I can’t beat that recent “Will of the Moon” quest where you fight whatever Dotharl lady.

I’m a Paladin (and only a Paladin, unfortunately) at iLevel 355, but that last phase I just can’t beat her before the timer is out.

Am I missing something or do I just need to gear up?

...or level a DPS class? Aaaaaaa

You get echo eventually.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ither posted:

Yea, most books suck because they spikes or some random attachment that books shouldn't have.

I still love my triple ipad. Love my books with weird bits to them

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Does he still appear in the main quest? My new character isn't far from there, I want to keep an eye out.

Just talk to NPCs in the Waking Sands after every story beat.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kaubocks posted:

is there a site you can use to see what all the high end gear looks like? when browsing for glamour ideas i'll sometimes check out eorzea collection and whatever shows up in the market board, but i'd love to see a list of say, raid armor, that doesn't necessarily show up in those places

Just learned of this site. It's not fully updated for the i390 gear yet but it has all the old stuff it looks like.

https://www.ffxivcollection.com/

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ifrit got a slight nerf last patch with how Radiant Shield works anyways so it's somewhat more debatable which one is better now, since before ifrit was considered the better summon for most of Stormblood's life(before Stormblood people would say go with Garuda but they changed Garuda's skills with the release of Stormblood). On paper anyways, the idea is Garuda is will buff caster dmg, while Ifrit indirectly buffs melee dmg. They removed Radiant shield's reflect dmg from Ifrit last patch though, so it lost a marginal bit of dps, so I don't think there's any full consensus yet which one is better after the patch.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xarbala posted:

Hence why their reluctance to add Viera is so baffling

Viera was in the leak too

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I mean the original leaks, not this current one. Dunno about this one honestly

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
FFTA is in an imaginary version of Ivalice, but it's an imaginary version based off of real Ivalice though, hence how you have Montblanc showing up in FFTA, FF12, and A2. Basically there's some ambiguity to how much the events of FFTA actually happened

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I would have used the JP voices but I'm used to the english ones and since the scripts are so different it'd mess me up too much.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blockhouse posted:

That raises the point of whether or not we have any megabosses left to be the final boss.

It might be something totally new, like Innocence.

Since we're already doing a Nier raid, let's just go full crossover into SaGa and kill God.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zoig posted:

I mean, considering the nature of the expansion, we probably will kill something at least god adjacent. Do we have any big light themed superbosses to kill yet?

I'm tempted to say the Emperor of Light, but I feel like they'd save the Emperor for later. Then again, I just joked about SaGa and FF2 is practically proto-SaGa so maybe the Emperor of Light is fitting.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 1, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Nessus posted:

So will the next one be White? :v:

Also do we know how many Trust people there are going to be? I've been considering who the mystery spoiler people would be, though I would not be shocked if one was Elezenos.

If they're really loving pro, you'll be able to unlock Hildy and Nashu

My guess would have been Paladin for 6.0 anyways as the next expansion cover Job, since it'd parallel Cecil going from Dark Knight to Paladin, and also we'd finally get to go to the moon, so White being the color would make sense. Also I just heavily doubt they'd have the WoL go caster in one of the trailers as cool as that would be, and there's not many picks left that'd quite matches with WoL in trailers. To be fair, Archer isn't the obvious choice as the first class the WoL starts out as either, so maybe they'll throw a curveball with 6.0 and we suddenly get magic or dexterity WoL.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also don't forget we're bound to make a Viera and Hrothgar friend at some point in 5.0, so they could probably take up a trust slot

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The 2.0 opening was Warrior. The Shadowbringers trailer even cycles through all of them.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ankle posted:

If I'm leveling up purely through dungeons, whats the best way of keeping my character at least semi-geared to their current level? I've got an AST at 45 with the starting equipment so I keep getting lovely dungeons. Should I just buy poo poo from the market board?

The highest level dungeon will usually drop loot for your level, but otherwise, you can just buy vendor gear.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Veotax posted:

Yeah, all the expansions have been kind of just set-up in the x.5 patch. In 3.4 they were still setting up Shadow Bringers with the Warriors of Darkness and then in 3.5 all the poo poo with Ilberd goes down and we move into Storm Blood.

All the expansions seem to get set up like one expansion in advance. During 2.x we had the Doman refugees, 3.x had the Warriors of Darkness, I imagine that the next expansion will probably actually be to do with Garlemald.

If your assumption is right, then Gaius and his Ascian hunting is just a tease, and his big story arc will be the next expansion. Which may or may not lead into Garlemald.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

UHD posted:

eh

the last fight with zenos proved that you have become at best unreliable and at worst a liability so you have to go take care of yourself before you can get back to kicking garlean rear end.

I fully expect to come back to eorzea with everything gone tits up in the wol’s absence

I'm sure our friend Zenos will hold the fort while we're gone. Curveball twist, a whole sidestory sidequest arc where we just role-play as Zenos loving things up

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The 2nd Primal is Innocence

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, thinking about the First, and pondering the Eden raid and how it may be connected to FF8/Ultimecia, it'd be neat to see if we get expansion on her backstory if Eden does turn out to be ff8 related, especially if it links up with First stuff.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

justblais posted:

hell yeah good enough for me
I'm excited for our new friend Gaia

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So afte rnearly two years away, I resubbed recently to prep for Shadowbringers coming out, but I find myself completely unmotivated to do anything once I finished the 4.56 MSQ stuff. I haven't touched the side stuff, unlocked all the rest of the 4.X dungeons and trails, the 24 man raids... Hell, I haven't even started the 4.X Hildibrand stuff.

I kinda of want to poke into Eureka crap for a handful of the cosmetic stuff (mostly the FFXI gear and maybe dyable RDM AF and the RDM weapon) but ugh, I hear all kinds of crap about it, and soon it'll all be obsolete anyways (but at the same time, soon it'll probably be much harder to do because much fewer people will be interested).

Not sure where I'm going with this, just moping and complaining I guess. I should've resubbed sooner so most of this stuff didn't feel like its soon to be pointless.

Do Coil and Crystal Tower anyways cause they still hold up and are good. Alexander is also cool in a different way, and Omegascape is also really cool and surprisingly has a real good end for what seemed like nostalgia trip of classic FF bosses.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Ivalice and Crystal tower are good ways to do throwbacks. I hope eden is more of that and less of Omega

I’m speculating that the First is also a possible timeline for where Ultimecia originated from, cause that’d be a super neat way to callback while expanding on stuff that was only hinted back in FFVIII. Y’Shtola’s even a witch here!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rhonne posted:

Will Dancer and Gunbreaker only have their intro quest and level 80 one then?

No they still will have regular job quests from 60-70.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 15, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ah whoops, I meant 60-70

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've been unable to google up any job story summaries, does any know of any? It'd be nice to find a summary better than reading through the job quest descriptions in the log for any jobs I boosted (dragoon, ninja) or just don't remember (summoner).

I don't fully recall ARR summoner other than hanging with Y'shtola's sister and learning the summons, but HW summoner is an Ascian messing with us, and us murdering the the hell outta them with Deathflare, and then SB is a supercomputer Summoner echo/memory trying to turn us into a Primal so it can use us as a Summon, and then we summon Bahamut on them. Summoner story is rad.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

queeb posted:

smn losing the tank pet sucks, since you gonna get beat on a ton when leveling. probably not as annoying as blm since smn has a ton of instants too but still.

The Titan egi still exists. It just won't pull emnity anymore. Instead it'll make a barrier which will help a little. Though really, after a while it's faster to just dps everything down rather than letting titan distract things. Summons being instant means you could take advantage of both now too by just putting shields up and switching to dps pet.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 26, 2019

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A lot of the raid or trial lines are directly related to the MSQ, but entirely optional. Coil, which like snail said is a 1.0 resolution, but then you also have the Warring Triad and Omega directly branching off of MSQ relevant plots.

They're also the things that make 2.x feel nicer to go through, cause if you're queuing for Coil and Crystal Tower (also all those lvl 50 side-dungeons), you're gonna notice the long stretches of 2.x less. Also cause doing Coil before HW just feels good since Alisaie showing up to bail you out feels a lot more like her returning the favor for Coil rather than just feeling outta nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I am ready to Fate farm