Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Safeword posted:

Been fortunate with ping so far, but that's probably due to the game being very forgiving at this point, more than anything else.

That's sort of the issue, having high ping impact gameplay won't become apparent until later in the game (around lvl34-35 for many people without going into spoilers), and low level classes doesn't have enough combat speed or OGCD to feel it while fighting.
Dying repeatedly to mechanics that you clearly dodged on your end and getting very frustrated to the point of wanting to quit is a fate I do not wish on anyone in this game(that was me when they moved NA servers to west coast).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Safeword posted:

My only issue with the game so far is that mechanist, samurai and red mage are locked into high levels. Red mages look especially fancy and really fun zipping all over.

An incentive to stop faffing at my level though I suppose.

Machinist being locked out until HW isn't a bad thing tho, its by far the worst gameplay experience in the game(yes i know some people here still play it, doesn't mean its overall awful and worst designed job) and potentially would scare newbies who pick it as early class far away from the game.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Chakan posted:

e: also I do really like Lyse's red dress, kinda makes me wish my character was female.

It's only a fantasia away to be who you desire to be.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I'm no fan at all of PVP in most any games I play, but ended up finding some decent enjoyment out of the modes in 14.
For me doing bit of occasional grinding was definitely worth it for some of the best and coolest glam items in the game (and as a bonus pvp helped out leveling a lot of alt classes +50).

Also its pretty chill to just do a daily frontline roulette, good amount of both pvp points and exp/pve tokens no matter if its a win or loose, in and out in 10ish min depending on the avg. que time on ur data center ofc.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Luckily Pagos is optional side content, just skip it and do any of all the actual great content XIV has to offer instead.
And if majority of players skip out on Eureka(and sounds like even JP don't like Pagos) then the devs may think twice about putting that kind of content into the game in future.

Anemos was tolerable to allright, Pagos is just no... Even FFXI leveling never felt this dull, unrewarding and mind numbing.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like my DRK is going to be level 65+ by the time I finish Heavensward and all the 3.X content. I'm not even done with the 3.0 MSQ and I'm already 61.

Should I save my Centurio seals for anything? I have almost 500 of them now, and I imagine I'll reach the cap at some point. I think I can get some gear with them, but from what I understand there's better gear you can get with poetics tomestones. Should I save them for Stormblood content?

You only want to spend centurio seals on emotes, mounts and music (do note that, emotes and mounts are not available directly at a centurio seals vendor, instead they sell a 500seal item which you need a couple off to then trade in at idyllshire/rhalgars etc for the actual item you wish to purchase).

Every thing else that you could buy with centurio seals can be obtained by other(often simpler) means, and like above poster mentioned the HW mount speed upgrades are pointless since they don't affect flying speed.

One exception is when right as you hit level 70 and possibly want to boost ur ilvl quicker, by buying the ilvl310 gear for centurio seals which will you let you run more 70 content sooner rather then having to repeat the 2-3 entry endgame dungeons over and over for farming tome gear(this does require you to have completed SB 4.0 msq for the vendor to sell equipment to you). But if you got spare gil/crafter friends you could just skip that by getting crafted ilvl gear instead.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

oh no blimp issue posted:

I cleared Rathalos EX yesterday with some mates and it was super fun.

Rath EX is good and fun, tho my healer buddy dislikes it due to being a cleanse bot with lovely dps in phase 2.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I think the only changes I'd personally make with rath ex is just get rid of the burns all together and let the healer just be an extra dps player for that phase. The burn dot doesn't really add any interesting to the fight

But then all the 100% honest healers won't have anything to do and will take to the forums with their complaints!

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

MechaX posted:

Okay so I think I’m going to resub but I have not touched Heaven on High, the MH Quests, or Eureka (I played probably ten minutes of the very first Eureka, saw a reimagining of the Normandy Beach landing but with a lot of giant crabs).

What has been the consensus on the new stuff and, uh... what kind of grind am I looking at if I didn’t even do the first Eureka grind

Only IF you care about optional relic gear then I would go do Eureka, with the challenge logs etc should be about 12-14h total time spent to get a weapon + full set of armor. Pagos is currently real bad so I wouldn't rush Anemos just for the sake of getting there to what state it is in(hopefully patches will fix up Pagos in time).

MH quest is quick, nice and fun, Heaven on High is basically PotD 2.0 but with less grind(since there are less floors),personally I've had a lot of fun in HoH trying to get to floor 100 as a three man group.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Machinist; the Pagos of ffxiv classes.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Leal posted:

So here is a 1.0 database/ps3 limitation thing. Was fighting the boss in the Vault where he dashes around and spawns orbs. When the orbs blew up I got the achievement for killing so many enemies. I knew things like that in other fights were wrecking my durability! Its cause the game considers them as enemies then "kills" them when they leave!

This is how mechanics work in many MMOs I've played, I know WoW for example did the same for a lot of stuff back in the day(might still do their engine is very very old), like quest triggers that killed a invisible spawned non combat critter to then spawn a quest item you need to click on and many other real very weird things to just proges quests for the player.

In FFXIV you can notice this on single target boss fights that has damage sources not originating from the boss itself showing up as entities on your aggro list in some fights, also you can see this happen a lot by looking at ACT.

Not sure its a limitation thing as much as its just a thing MMO devs seem to occasionally do for various reasons unknown to me.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Fairly sure they do not, in some fights that may even be the reason they are used too.
Just like how regular adds not being affecting by the single target debuffs/buffs currently on a boss the same rule should apply there.
Unless the boss themselves casts the damage ability or spell, then its pretty certain that you cannot debuff it.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Warrior for ARR, Dragoon for HW, Monk/Samurai 50-50 for SB

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Warrior in 14 is one of (if not) the best class in the game, for one it has the most satisfying dps of all tanks once you unlock Fell cleave and Decimate and its the smoothest tank when it comes to dancing between dps and tanking role.
As a tank it has the best aggro generation, solid easy to manage defensive cooldowns as well as good self healing.
It doesn't play anything like warrior from WoW in how i remember that game.

10/10 would level warrior again.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The only thing I would contend here is the aggro generation, not 100% sure but I think since the 4.3 buffs, Dark Knight outclasses Warrior now. Otherwise Warrior is the perfect first timer tank, yeah.

I play DRK and WAR both (a lot more DRK recently cause i want the armored achievement mount) and I do feel i always end up with a slightly bigger threat lead with warrior opener vs the dark knight one.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
By default they do not take any more damage than other tanks. Rather Paladin and Dark knight have damage reduction while in tank stance, meanwhile Warrior's tank stance increases max HP as well as healing received.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So I just got my BRD to 50, and I was wondering if there's any way to make procs of Mage's Ballad obvious/noticeable without having to constantly keep your eye on the skill bar? It would be so much easier if there were some obvious sound or visual cue to watch out for. As is, it's hard to pay attention to both the boss/positioning and my bar.

I put skills that I want to keep an eye on for procs or cooldown reasons on a separate action bar that I enlarge, then i put said bar near middle of screen to make it very visible when the skill is ready to use again.

Other then that, you'd have to resort to using ACT plugins, which you can set up to play sound effects for various procs/buffs/debuffs.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
So with the latest hotfix patch, is pagos fixed now, are the trains back on the tracks?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Solution is to level as SCH until you are like level 65 or so, then swap to SMN, and as a bonus it will let you que as healer for quick leveling roulletes/dungeons.
SMN is super boring to level, while SCH is actually quite fun.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Into the shame box with you.

Machinist apologist spotted

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

spoiler stuff

whats a Bfa?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

FutureCop posted:

This is a bit of a weird question, but does anyone remember how dungeons played at launch? A lot has changed over the period of this game and some things I take for granted now are things I can't believe didn't exist in the first place (like AOE markers). Also, when I started this game it was my first time actually getting into dungeons proper in an MMO: tanking, healing, all that jazz.

Nowadays, most dungeons are pretty simple: tank gathers up all the enemies and the dps AOEs them to death. While you'd think that this type of strategy would only work because everyone is wearing powerful armor that stays powerful when item synced, it still seems to work just fine with even gray gear.

Back in the day I remember it being a bit more complicated: I remember people doing small pulls, sleeping/mezzing enemies, using potions and so on. Was this because it was necessary (as in, did enemies used to hit harder or aggro differently) or was this just people being unfamiliar and experimenting/carrying over tactics from older mmos like EQ?

Basically, I'm wondering how much the game changed versus how the people changed.

This is more a thing that newer MMOs have gone away from design wise, even back in 2.0 crowd control wasn't necessary or used.
In early 2.0 it was more or less the same rush trough the dungeons as it is today, one exception was that you didn't need to kill trash, just a specific couple mobs to progress, rest of the mobs where locked out of boss rooms (devs later nerfed this and made you have to kill more mobs per dungeon area to progress).

I remember that as soon as me and my friends had some of the ilvl70 gear from the first non capped tomestones that we started speedrunning dungeons, and it was actually even faster then the average runs today, once geared it took 10ish min for either WP and AK on a good run (in premade parties).

Game always let you do what it does today, hell SE even nerfed speed running more and more as game continued to develop, it was more that people where both new to the game as well as carrying with them experience how things worked in previous MMO they played.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Very disappointed in the new gear previewed for this patch, tome gear looks real uninspired and bland and the other set showed earlier is just a dull recolor of an old set. :(

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

if a drk isn't wearing black or an rdm isn't wearing red then honestly what's the loving point

no no you got it all wrong, dark knight just needs to wear DARK colours, not necessarily black, other classes with the color in their names needs to of course dye their gear accordingly or risk possible ban

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Except for black mage which of course needs blue robes and yellow hats

only as long as they use full face paint in black and have yellow eyes

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Blackmageface is not cool, even in Eorzea

well if only the game still allowed for real dark skin tones, I just wan't to channel my inner Vivi!

SpaceDrake posted:

There's at least a powerful implication that the reissue of the 3.5 dungeon set is going to be dyeable this time, which tbh I am extremely here for.

I never really cared much for that set, even less nowadays after seeing it worn by majority of generic NPCs throughout stormblood. Plus the reuse of older sets "but now dyeable, in dungeons now!" just feels lazy when they could have just gone back and made the old stuff dyeable instead.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Vermain posted:

Yep. There's enough good armor in the game already for me to not care that much about the "big" patches reusing armor sets for dungeons. We're already getting tome armor and Alphascape armor in the same patch, which is a hilarious amount of invested development time.

I'd be more fine with this if it wasn't that the new tome armor just looks like ironworks and skalla gear had a weird baby. And since I don't savage raid currently means what new gear I'll get my hands on is the undyeable alphascape gear.

I just want some new glamour fun that is actual armor and not another bikini or the same sweater everyone uses damnit! :argh:

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I want to raise a tank ult, and not 100% sure which. Kinda leaning towards Paladin since DRK looks like too many buttons and the self-healing looks like it would make them better for like, solo/duoing unsynced ARR-HW stuff, but I keep hearing DRK has one of the best questlines. Is DRK fun/manageable to play at higher levels though?

If pressing too many buttons isn't sounding nice to you then it be hard to suggest dark knight, since you do press an extra OGCD for a buff (dark arts) before using 75% of your actual abilities.

And if you want a tank best suited for solo/unsynced/duo any can work but Warrior probably does it best, since they have real good dps, the best self healing and solid cooldowns.

All tanks are fun and play well however, tho I do feel DRK really needs an overhaul in next expansion with how many extra buttons you need to repeatedly smash for reaching the same result as PLD or WAR.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

I think viera are pointless when we already got catgirls and aura running around but if they get a muscle slider then I'm on board.

Viera will the first race to have a "butt size" slider.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
From what it sounds like now I expect that BLU is Eureka but as a class, having its own content and you can't join regular DF stuff with it.
Guess we have to wait for live letter for more explanation though.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I'm personally more excited about BLU potentially being a cool solo challenge activity, lets them make it real OP and cool without having to worry about class balance.
I feel it would be boring if it was just another run of the mill caster with blue magic aesthetics on their spells.
Blue magic is most fun when its a bit broken and crazy with what it lets you do.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Hmmm, so now anyone who whines about not getting goaded can just meld piety for more max TMP? :D

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
This overreaction over BLU is hilarious!
I'm loving glad its not another regular boring caster dps and that it might instead be real cool and fun side content to run with few friends or have solo challenges etc.

And hey, should be glad you cannot join regular PF party stuff with it, cause that probably means you won't ever need to go to Eureka to grind poo poo for BLU!

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Comparing BLU announcement to blizzards diablo fiasco? What the hell drugs are you on?
"Oh no I'm restricted to play with my friends or do unique content which we yet have no info on, instead of DF with all the bad pubbies after sitting in the 30min+ DPS queue!" vs "Oh boy a new diablo game sure would be awesome, oops its on loving mobile devices and not on any actual gaming platforms"

If there's anything I could see people be legit upset about, then it would be the data center split, which could ruin statics/FCs/friends for some people and potentially slow down the DF queues a lot.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm mostly disappointed in not being able to hop into Duty Finder, I don't really care about end-game level raiding or doing deep dives with the class.

Well if you can go into regular content with a full premade as they stated, then I don't see why you couldn't run LLDR or EXDR etc with 3 friends/FC members on ur BLU, just like how currently it bypasses any class restrictions or group composition as long as you're in a full premade party.
Least from how I understand it, you just can't into random parties but other then that all content is available long as you have a party for it?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Cabbit posted:

I feel like this "just get a premade" solution kind of ignores why matchmaking is a thing in the first place.

It was just a response to the "well BLU sounds alright but I'm bummed I'll never be able to take it to EXDR, o8N or Thordad".

And since we don't really know how BLU mechanics and spells are going to be working yet, maybe this is the way to not get the people who didn't grind a special NM in the final Eureka for "Mighty Guard" harassed or kicked out of parties?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

are we using different duty finders because uhhhh I usually see a lot more dungeons and trials and raids than those three when I queue up for it

I'm sorry, I figured my three examples would suffice rather then to painstakingly write down every single party content in the entire game.

And anyone who mained BLU in f11 should be disappointed by the lack of curved swords and badass AF more then anything else revealed so far.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
It's not like most people have mainly been using squadron for leveling sub 50 alt jobs for the last year or anything, beyond the once per day LLDR bonus.
Sure bummed that I can't DPS queue braflox 10 times in a row with randoms for my leveling, that's sure to be fast and fun!

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

You sure are invested into making sure I'm wrong about being bummed I can't queue into Duty Finder as Blu. Jokes on you though, I chain-queue into lower level dungeons all the time because it lets me collect glamours, crafting materials, and level an new class at the same time.

I just wanted to helpfully point out that you aren't forever locked out of instances party content as BLU, but my bad I guess, sorry for that.
I would also point out that you can just as efficiently do the very same things you stated with your squadron with the added upside that all loot goes to you, but you may throw that back into my face too.

As for BLU I just hope this lets them not worry too much about keeping it balanced, and instead just going nuts with fun and crazy strong spells being learnable, also they better let "Bomb Toss" have a random chance to blow up in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

e: Also IIRC BLU has always been this kind of side-content collectible-progression gimmick job anyway, and the last time they tried to add it to an MMO it broke things. This embraces what I actually enjoyed about BLU.

I had no real hype for BLU before fanfest reveal, but now I can hardly wait to see how it turns out when they opened up the possibilities for it being a real pokemon style class, hell I'm even yearning for beastmaster to possibly get similar treatment in the future.