Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Since people are asking about rules here, how many seeker missiles can you fire from a model per turn? As many as you want/have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I have a friend who has been playing orks forever because he likes giant armies and crazy weapons and rules. He even got to running home-brewed Gorkamorka campaigns at the local shop. This edition seems like a real gift for him.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

One of my favorite parts of the new fluff is how Cawl just doesn't give a gently caress about people's stance on technology and progress.

So of course he is going to turn evil/to Chaos.

I mean I hope he doesn't and he actually just pisses people off by doing crazy tech stuff for us all to enjoy, but who knows?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speaking of rules: If a Pulse Carbine has a max range of 18, but gets 6 extra inches from a pulse accelerator, do they get an extra shot from a fireblade on 9 or 12 inches range?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Vespid models are flying off the shelves on Ebay. They're almost at GW prices with shipping included, people really need their cheap unit fix.

Which is a bit sad because I've been trying to find ways of including them in my armies for years and only really had any success with homebrews and smaller games.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, they're more reasonably priced, but I'm not sure I want Vespid models that look like they're from an off-brand version of Ghostbusters: http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/view_product.php?product=BMM132

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Played my first match yesterday in 8th edition. Lost, but only because it ended a turn early due to lack of time and me having to get up at 6 today for a worksession.

I went with Tau, throwing down 5 Skyrays and 3 groups of pathfinders with rail rifles, so as to ensure mortal wounds all over the place. Worked pretty well against the plague drones I targeted, but as expected I then ran out of missiles in the first turn with not much left to break most heavier stuff on the board. I'd filled most of my side of the board with kroot , feeling more like an ork army than anything else, but that more or less worked out for me in the end. Darkstrider as expected still isn't great and got squished early on and ethereal invocations felt sort of pointless aside from the FNP one. Cadre Fireblades felt ok as cheap boosters for the pathfinders but beyond Longstrike there really aren't that many great HQ choices for Tau at the moment, or at least that's the impression I got from playing them. The regular old Commander might be the one exception if used as a missile boat and booster.

Still not sure why broadsides cost as much as they do, so no chance of trying them out. Had a Shaper along for the ride with my kroot, but besides being cheap there really wasn't much reason to. It felt wiser to just throw the hordes of kroot at stuff and let them take the hit than try to keep him near other units since he dies way too easily to be any useful.

My overall impression of the game was that Fast Attack choices are just better than most anything you can find in any other slots. Elites are too expensive or just don't do much unless you're bringing something like a ghostkeel, while Vespid, Kroot Hounds and Pathfinders pull their weight. For 9 PL a Skyray will most likely stay on the table for quite a while and if you fling enough Seeker missiles at a target you'll eventually bring it down no matter what it is. Kroot themselves make for much better stop gaps than they used to be what with how charging has changed.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

All this talk about armor types makes me remember that Chapter Master is no longer in development and that makes me a sadmarine.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A guy just walked into the local store and bought 8th edition models, books and tabletop accessories for 1000 bucks and placed a few orders for things from the website via the store on top of that. He had apparently gotten back into it after quitting for several editions.

Just minutes later another guy asked for a demo of the new rules and set himself up to buy the new imperium pack, which the store was slowly running low on. Followed by another demo for some kids who were most likely going to ask their parents for some models to play with. Right after I bought some new pathfinders while I waited for one of the tables to clear up where someone was playing a demons and astra game.

Since the new release there have been more sales going on than almost a year's worth of 7th, even when that was popping. GW strategies seem to be paying off.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Is there a guide anywhere as to the rough equivalence of power level and points, and what the more common power levels are for matches (like the old 1000/1500/1850/2000 etc)?

50 is about 1000, 75 for 1500, 100 for 2000 and so on. So about 20 times the PL is your point value. Not entirely but close enough in most cases.

Most matches so far are either 50 or 100 that I've seen, with 75 being a good middle ground that people aren't quite keen on using yet. Your first match in 8th should probably be 50 if only because it might take you a bit to learn the rules if you have to keep checking what each new unit has in terms of stats.

Edit: Well, looks like Kroot Hounds and Vespid are all out on the US GW site. Guessing the new points costs are affecting what models are being sold.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 24, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Had an interesting chat with GW customer service. Put an order in for some 8th release stuff and since I rarely order from their website I threw in some online only stuff, Legion of the Damned and Seth Gabriel. I get the order yesterday with no Seth, I call them up and they say he was out of stock but they wanted to send the rest out and follow up with Seth when he's back in. All well and good but there was no communication about it, Seth was on the dispatch invoice with no mention that he shouldn't have been in the box and then this morning I get notification of a brand new order of just Seth.

I've got tons of good encounters with GW but this just seems kind of shady, like they're not even allowed to admit fault anymore.

I don't know, a few months back my local GW staffer had massive issues with shipping and ordering things, which we'd chalked up to him and his friends/coworkers being way overworked, since they started getting orders wrong, stuff didn't appear when ordered and there was a lot less communication going on.

Turns out the fault lay with the regional supplier who for some reason had completely dropped the ball for quite a while and things returned to normal a few months into 2017, presumably after re-negotiations or some kind of overhaul of staff. Haven't had an issue since and always felt like the local rep did their best to get me what I wanted as soon as they could. Heck even 8th edition which was expected to be an issue what with how much stuff was being ordered went off more or less without a hitch aside from running out of stock and a mix-up between two similar orders that was resolved the same day.

Yours might be a local issue or regional supplier as it was with me. Don't think GW really gives their staff any instructions beyond how to push as many models as possible for dumb reasons.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've broke ground on painting the Purple BIglys.

It looks even better than I hoped.

I really miss the Soul Drinkers :( Just the concept of marines who decided to give the Imperium the finger and their having to operate on scavenged tech was a neat idea. Sad it never really went anywhere.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Okay, this stupid Forgeworld index is dangerous. I just found out that a Vindicator Laser Destroyer exists, looked at the stats, then purchased one on a whim.

While I could never tell someone not to spend money on overpriced models after I did the same thing just a little bit ago, you might want to be mindful of doing that just for stats alone. After all supposedly these things are going to get altered after release should something come up that's way too strong.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pendent posted:

I'm not sure wanting something that you spent a bunch of time and money on to have a minimal degree of functionality in the new edition is being entitled.

Well, a lot of the regular models hopefully gets some re-tooling as well. Right now a number of models I used to have as a sure pick will most likely never ever get used unless we're playing something crazy like 200 points and I run out of models to field.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Forgeworld is a tricky beast. On the one hand their models can be drat neat but I doubt I'd have to tell anyone their rules tend to either make no drat sense or flip all across the place when it comes to strength.

They usually have some pretty neat ideas that are meant to shake up the regular armies a bit but they just tend to get banned or ignored.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Again it is a shame that their rules can be so darn weird. For example there was a neat idea where Tau could use what amounted to guardsmen in their ranks, because they'd taken control of and keeping human populations, much like how things went with the Vespid and Kroot. So players had a chance to use their guard models and supplement Kroot as cannonfodder. There were just a few issues with that: First of all the special rule they gained made no sense at all (being worse in close combat with other Imperium forces) while still costing as much as they usually did despite being worse against most players. And they didn't really have anything special about them aside from being able to have one or two of their number carrying the same standard rifle as Firewarriors had. With just a few tweaks, GW and FW could've boosted Astra sales while expanding the set of kits you could set these models up with, mixing and matching the two armies with new configurations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I guess now we know Space Wolves are gonna be seeing a lot more of these guys huh?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So what is up and coming in 40K after release and the new starter pack? Any kind of timeline going on or particularly probable rumors?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

This is why I think maybe just doing two Space Marine codices, one for codex-compliant chapters and one for non, would be for the best. "Okay, here's the special rules and unique units for the Space Wolves et al, the Blood Angels and descendants, the Dark Angels and descendants, the Black Templars, and the Legion of the Damned."

They're not the only chapter that's effectively still a Legion. The Dark Angels are, too, with all their successors, as are the Blood Angels. The Imperial Fists in the books have a special protocol to recall absolutely every Fist successor and reassemble them temporarily into one unified legion (including the Black Templars), and the Ultramarine successors are noted in at least one book to be so uniform in doctrine and practice that aside from a few weirdo successors the Ultrasmurfs and their successors effectively are still a Legion as well.

Funnily enough, it's only the Scars and the Istvaan chapters that don't act like they're still a legion.

What I find interesting is that Guilleman thinks the reason the heresy happened is because there were so many divergent and solitary legions going around hiding stuff from each other so he makes a Primaris chapter/legion, forgetting that he wrote the Codex Astartes telling people not to do that.

But then I'd rather the whole Chapter idea got removed and we all just had massive legions with sub-chapters.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Once again looking at FW rules and I am not entirely sure why you'd bother getting a bunch of these units. Heavy Gun Drones for instance puts out less shots as an equivalent cost of regular gun drones, but can't be buffed by surrounding fireblades. Same deal if they use their markerlight setup. They have an extra wound, but that is also it. The only reason I can think of for bringing them is if you've filled out your Fast Attack slots or don't have any suits or characters to put regular drones on.

Same deal with a lot of their special Commander suits, they seem like they're just worse or have less options for the same cost. Only one that's actually interesting has probably already been discussed, their "close combat" suits that I've forgotten the name of.

Edit:vvv Yeah, I know, just kinda baffled with some of this stuff. Some GW units in the new edition are obviously pretty broken too, but it is the exception rather than the rule and the introduction of command points really helped make slightly more balanced armies.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 1, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Soggy Chips posted:

Dark Imperium and the new box sets are reasonable. That pricing just pushes people towards ChinaForge

Wait, people actually use that? I'd have thought sending CAD documents to factories and hoping they get it right wouldn't be as popular as just grabbing cheap knockoffs from whichever shady ebay seller was to be found.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Floppychop posted:

Stormboys are a neat kit, but obscenely expensive, even by GW standards. $25 for 5 models that you field in units of 30 is too rich for my blood.

Vespids are not fielded in as large a squad but cost like, 45 bucks for 5. And a full squad is 12. It is really dang hard to find them at anything less than retail price on eBay unless you find a guy selling off his whole old army. Not complaining about your post, just saying I understand :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

goose willis posted:

And on today's edition of It Came From eBay

Speaking of eBay, it is now the only place (beyond stocked local shops and other re-seller sites of course) to get Vespids, Kroot, Kroot Hounds and Shapers. Heck even regular drones are sold out on the main page. They will obviously restock in the future but dang, the new rules really favor them something fierce.

Not that Vespids were super easy to get a hold of anyway before. Most shops didn't tend to stock them because they sucked. Now they can't stock them because they hadn't had many to go around in the first place. I had tried collecting some because I liked the model and could only ever get a hold of metal ones. There goes any chance of them lowering the price.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lots of rumors floating around at the moment, including of a dedicated Tau CC unit. But it might be best to take them all with a massive grain of salt. Personally hoping for new Ork units (not to play them myself, but just to see them and the people having fun with them when playing).

Edit: Hah, turns out those rumors might just be rehashes of old rumors from LAST edition's release.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

!Klams posted:

I'm sort of interested in getting into this, and am looking at adeptus mechanicus, but I'm struggling to find a decent gallery anywhere that's just like, all the different units / models you can buy for admech? I think I only really like the look of skitarii and tech priests, but is it possible to use models from other armies that are still imperium? How can I see all the options for building an army with, the gw site is poo poo and I hate it.

I think as I recall as long as a unit has the keyword "Imperium" you can field it together with other Imperium units without much hassle. So you'd be able to field stuff like Astra Militarum or marines or mechanicus without much fuss.

You could probably set up an army in battlescribe (but sometimes that isn't great with figuring out if you can take a unit or not). There is probably a list someplace that lets you figure out just what sort of units you could want to take that doesn't go into the sort of details you might see in a proper , paid for rulebook.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

!Klams posted:

So, all of what you said is incredible, thanks! This is great. My problem is, that beyond the skitarii get started kit, I'm struggling to find what else I could add to my army? The few things I have seen I don't like as much, so I just wanted to see the complete list of things I could take before I committed to that. I'm only really thinking of getting into the game because the models look so loving dope, I don't really like the game play that much compared to other systems, but friends are playing it, so what they look like is actually of paramount importance, stupidly. I guess "it's complicated" is the answer though, so I'll see about "buying" a codex to work it out, cheers!

A lot of shop-owners might let you peek at the codex you're interested in, because worst case scenario for them you just walk away uninterested but best case you'll place a big order with them including the very codex you just got to read. If you were going to pirate it you already would have after all. Some of the better ones would even spend time discussing the merits of the army you're picking as well as set you up with some examples either from the shop itself or from galleries.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Surprise T Rex posted:

So now that turn 2 assault seems to be a massive thing, how do Tau play to counter that?

Another question: I haven't played a game in a decade or so, but I dug out an old unassembled Tau Battleforce from like 4th or 5th edition, and I'm wondering what else I should be looking at grabbing next? If people generally just go straight for the assault almost instantly, I'm hesitant to go for too many standard fire warriors.

The stuff I have so far:
- XV8 Crisis Suit (probably Counts-as-Commander for now)
- Devilfish
- 3x XV25 Stealth Suits
- 12x Kroot Carnivore
- 12x Fire Warrior

Plus a few drones for various squads.

My first few games I used screens of Kroot to make sure the enemy was only charging stuff that could hit back. And was cheap enough it didn't matter if they fell back. It also made sure he couldn't deepstrike in too close to my long-range stuff. If you can afford the fast attack slot Kroot hounds are also a cheap screening unit that can countercharge.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Corrode posted:

Yeah people have been skinning up 3 brigades at 2k points. Realistically you don't want quite that many, but it's still funny.

"don't want quite that many"

Speak for yourself. I still dream of my "almost all grots" army to be fielded one day. Just cover the entire side of my board with them and then put the rest in reserve.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

professor_curly posted:

Actually this is the worst example because it is completely plausible. Aun'Va died in the Warzone: Domacles books. Tau High Command decided that they would keep that on the down low and made a bunch of Holo'Va copies. That's why he never leaves the chair anymore. This was a complete net good because Aun'va was really inspirational but also depicted as incompetent, petty and childish in those books. Holo'Va lets the Tau have their cake and eat it too.

It's unclear how much people have noticed.

What is much funnier is that he is now 100 years older but is still around and people haven't noticed despite Tau officially not having life-extending tech beyond good medicine. Same for all the other named Tau. Some ethereals live for longer times but they were already pushing their twilight years in the last edition.

The fact that Tau tech hasn't changed much in a century is also kind of baffling. That's kind of their entire thing. I mean yes, we are all waiting for a codex, but considering how they are set up you would expect tons of changes and additions when that arrives.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

I did the dumb survey that ignores my country. :sweden:

Same here. I asked for the T'au to get access to more alien races and supplementary armies to get them back (sort of) to being an army of many different types. Maybe even including proper Gue'vesa stuff.

Also, more importantly, I asked for Squats back. I too, can dream.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The only surviving regular Lamenter is a Deathwatch dreadnought.

The Lamenters manage to die so often I presume they will just somehow break actual numbers and how they work. Once the last Lamenter dies he will somehow die twice and end up rolling the amount of marines left back to 65535.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SteelMentor posted:

Youtube keeps on recommending me Arch Warhammer videos despite me telling it to stop doing that poo poo. Beyond him just being eyerollingly unfunny and even more desperately Wrong About Hams than Goose is, he's very buddy buddy with actual Nazi Sargon of Akkad and that Unsleeved Media creep who just got lifetime banned by Wizards.

If there's one consolation, I have it on direct authority that the Warham Community team think he's a loving idiot as well.

Also speaking of lovely Hams, check out this sparkling gem from our hobby from a page Facebook inexplicably thought I'd like:

I think the point where I realized Arch had some real issues was when he tossed out a racial slur to describe a group in Warhammer fantasy, right after calling gnoblars jewlike.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Merry Squigmass every Boy-y.

And yeah, Tau players always get ugly looks. I barely managed to scrounge out any wins in the local tourneys because I tended to overcompensate for possible cheese that never materialised when actually playing.

It is more likely that it is one of the few factions not all about the grimdark that bothers them, but that is why I like them. And Orks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

Going through AdMech stratagems:

I can use this to fire twice with a unit, or during my opponents turn, correct?

I have another question in relation to that: I'm presuming you reveal the objective to both players if that's what you pick? Not just yourself, somehow?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bombogenesis posted:

So is the Tau codex stupid as gently caress? FW stuff being stupid and unfun to deal with is nothing new.

Not as far as I can tell from only looking at points and stuff like that. I haven't read the lore bits though if that's what people are saying is stupid.

I mean, I personally don't like the idea of a new codex for a race known for constantly innovating and creating new tech that has no new units and only some new weapons for its commanders after what, 1-200 years?

But as for point values, the only thing that is still really borked is Crisis suits, as mentioned before. There's some confusion as to what is going on with gun drones now being so much more expensive, but I presume it was a response to people spamming them. I haven't heard the consensus on Stealth suits yet, either. But Broadsides, Riptides and troops in general are looking a lot more viable now. I still wish Kroot had any love at all heaped on them but they are still somewhat boring.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cooked Auto posted:

Current rumor as I remember is that the Ork codex is going to include a bunch of new models, but otherwise I think that happens once they've gone through the last couple of codexes they have left to release.

New models would be neat to see. Don't think Tau will be getting any soon though. Maybe auxiliaries if we are lucky.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Holy poo poo that plastic Sister looks amazing.

It really does. I have absolutely no talent painting anything (and no that's not me being down on myself, that's just a fact) but the quality of the model and the fact it's been 20 years of waiting for a lot of people means I'd want to support this any way I could.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Milotic posted:

What would you know of waiting, Imperial player? When have you fought against the delay of your Codex? When have you had to do anything more than tally factions and preorder your models? The people of your Facebook group named it soup. The people of mine called it come the apocalypse. Which one of us landed on a wealth of models to be played how you like? Which one of us was given multiple armies to lead after starting off with cheap starter sets each edition? Which one of us inherited strong and varied netlists? And which one of us had to rise up against 7th Ed with nothing but a horde of S3 boys? Which one of us was a collector of expensive models, with kitbashes cut up by carving knives? Listen to your IMPERIUM wretches yelling of patience and chill, patience and chill, patience and chill. Do you even know the meaning of those words? Patience is fighting in 8th Ed, no matter that their armies have more stratagems than yours by ten-thousand to one. You know nothing of patience. Chill is resisting a community team when all others suckle and grow fat on the hypocrisy they feed them. You know nothing of chill.

No matter the subject, this is a good post.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Strobe posted:

Fun to play against, and honestly fun to play. Unfortunately, as-is, it's horrifically bad and the opponent will stomp it into the dirt basically every time.

Yeah, almost every time I play Tau I try to do stuff that isn't boring old gunlines, and I get whomped almost immediately. I love fielding Kroot for instance, but I only tend to field them for the first two rounds or so of combat. They die if you sneeze at them and suck in close combat, so the only reason you bring them is as a distraction or if you want the enemy to have a good time winning. Breachers are similarly fun but impractical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cainer posted:

I hope that when Calgar shows up they act really passive aggressive and just keep calling for reinforcements when they think he's out of earshot,

Or that they keep asking for reinforcements, saying more Chaos followers just showed up to threaten them.