Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Building my first army.

I'm still in early stages, but I know that most of my army is going to be evil sunz, with some bad moonz as an additional detachment. I'm still painting up a bunch of basic stuff, but I want to try to paint them appropriately.

Here's roughly what I've got painted or mostly painted, already as evil sunz:
10 x Slugga boyz
3 x Killa Kanz
1 x Grukk Facerippa

Here's what I have that needs to be painted:
1 x Dakkajet
2 x Megatrakk Skrapjet
9 x Warbikers
1 x Kustom Boosta Blasta
1 x Shokkjump Dragsta
2 x Deff Dread
3 x Painboy
3 x Weirdboy
1 x Grukk Facerippa Extra
10 x Stormboyz
15 x Lootaz/Burnaz
1 x Battlewagon
1 x Bonebreaker
1 x Trukk
So goddamned many x Boyz

As I go through, which units should I earmark for bad moonz specifically? I mean, beyond ones that are just there to fill slots. I'm thinking lootaz and my dakkajet, and maybe a unit of shoota boyz. Any others that will benefit more from being in there than in evil sunz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Got stuck a bit longer on deployment than I thought. While I'm waiting to get travel home taken care of, I've been taking advantage of the downtime to paint a painboy.

Learned a few things in making the base, like the fact that you need a primer over oxid paste or the paint won't stick well enough. Maybe went a little heavy on the blood spatter, but I'm happy enough with the overall effect.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wizard posted:

Same here. Im actually surprised they sold out, I figured with a whole new line of paints this wouldnt of been a issue

It's intentional, sadly. They do a limited release so that people get more hyped up seeing the few people who do get theirs the first week, and they talk themselves into buying more when the wider release happens. The monkey brain responds to "it was limited and now it's not" with "grab all you can before it's limited again!"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That's crazy good for how little time that took! Congrats!

How well do contrast paints work covering "oopsies" of other contrast paints? Ex/ painting the over the currently-red bracelets on the top right arm.

From the videos I've seen, not well. They're translucent, so you'll tend to get a mix of the two. For example, in a video where someone was painting a carnosaur blue and yellow, they got a green where the two met. That said, it was easy enough for them to paint over it with white and re-apply the paints as needed.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, as my previous post shows, I'm currently painting up some orks. This isn't the first time I've had a go at making a 40K army. I've previously started and abandoned Space Wolves, IG, and Skitarii. This time, I wanted to try and at least get something on the table and play the game for once.

I promised myself if I got to 1000 points by July, I'd make a nice Forge World order for my birthday. Maybe more ork stuff, maybe just stuff that looks fun to paint. When I got a surprise deployment, I downgraded that to 750, figuring my painting time would probably be limited.

Well, after pushing myself hard the last few weeks, I'm now at 884 points of stuff either done or mostly done. 568 of that was done out here. When I get home, I need to base three bikes, a shokkjump dragsta, a megatrakk scrapjet, five boyz, and my warboss, do some finishing touches on the warboss and the dragsta, and they'll be done. If I can do that and paint up a battlewagon in the remains of June, I'll have made my original goal.

If I'm at 750 points, I'm going to spend $250. If I hit 1000, I'm going to use some of that deployment money and bump it up to $500. Wish me luck!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Crossposting from the mini thread:

JackMann posted:

Finished the last of my deployment minis. Five nobz for the waaaagh!

Not the best nobz in the world, but I worked through them relatively quickly. Next time, I'll probably paint the shoulderpads separately so I can do more freehand type stuff with 'em.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just about to go pick up my contrast paints. In the meantime, have some pictures of my last deployment minis.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

ijyt posted:

I've had two slips in about 15 years and that's after using a blade past it's prime.

I used the mould line remove for a while but it was just too unwieldy and didn't leave as nice a finish that I liked. The tip is so thick its hard to get into crevices.

I used to use the mould line remover until I realized I could get the exact same effect with the back of my hobby knife

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross-post:

JackMann posted:

In things I did do, I finished up a battlewagon last night:

Orks and grot were done with contrast paints. Grot rigger was made from a night goblin fanatic with a head from the gretchin box.

That puts me at about a thousand points of ork stuff painted, once I base a few things. I made it in before July, which means I get to treat myself to some Forge World stuff for my birthday. Still need to decide what I want.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Done! 1000 points of orks done since I started in November. I've really accelerated as I've gone along. I managed to get five boyz done in December. I finished another five, plus a warboss and three kanz in January/February. March was a bit dead, but then I got ten boyz done in April, three bikes, a shokkjump dragsta and megatrakk scrapjet in May, and then a painboy, five nobz (plus ammo grot) and a battlewagon this month. I really need to paint more boyz (plus at least one more HQ to make a legal battalion), but I'm really happy with how far I've come in that time. I can't wait to get these lads onto the table!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Floppychop posted:

Just tossed together a Mega armored Big Mek with KFF out of the Ambot kit.

Anything else anything thinks this guy needs before I start painting?

I'd build up the legs a bit more. Add in some more ork plating and bits. I feel it could be a little more ramshackle.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Max Wilco posted:

I was just curious about the wash, since it seems like a black wash would diminish the blue tint you get with Grey Knights Steel, but a blue wash with medium (which I guess is the traditional way of how you're supposed to do it) would be redundant or make it look too blue.

Wash of nuln, and a very light wash/glaze of drakenhoff nightshade to bring the blue back out.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, someone pointed out a fairly useless, but amusingy ridiculous move you can technically pull.

The mekboy workshop doesn't become a terrain piece until after it's setup on the battlefield. Technically, you can hold it in reserves and then toss it deep on the board with the tellyporta strategem. Now, this still requires you to actualy pay points for the mekboy workshop, so I can't imagine too many people actually trying it, but it amuses me on a deep and orky level that it's possible.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Finished a lot of 23 orks. That brings my boyz count up north of fifty. Less than forty to go and I'll have my ninety for a decent army.

Definitely not going to paint that many in a single go again, though. I found I was starting to lose time from missing steps on one boy or the other, or needing to go back and do more touch-ups, or just from having too many boyz getting in the way of grabbing paints and things. I think ten or so is a better number. Enough that assembly-line painting goes well, but not so many that they become unwieldy.

Next, though, will be a couple of HQs. I'm started on a Big Mek with SAG, and I've kitbashed a weirdboy from the AoS weirdnob. It'll be nice to actually take my time and do some better quality paintjobs again.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nope. Not a thing.

Disappointing. I'd like to try orks in Apocalypse, but right now, their inability to get command asset cards without gimping themselves makes them seem unviable.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

To get more command asset cards, you need commanders that are characters. The commander in a detachment is the unit with the highest leadership. No character in the ork faction has a leadership higher than 6. In Apocalypse, most ork units have leadership that increases the more orks in the unit. For example, a 10-ork squad of boyz has leadership of 5, while a 30-ork squad of boyz has a leadership of 7. This would make your boyz the commander of your army over any characters. This goes for Boyz, Stormboyz, Kommandos, Tankbustas, Warbikers, Nobs on Warbikes, and Meganobz. Orks are a horde army with generally poor attacks, relying on their ability to throw out lots and lots of bodies on the field to make up the difference. So either you're going with low-number units and fielding relatively weak ork units, or you're taking full strength units, but not getting many command asset cards.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's a painting contest in a Discord server I'm in. The theme is spooky ork HQs.

Here's what I've come up with:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Getting Uzgrak Deffcalla basecoated. I've got the skulls box and some fun ideas for his basing...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Getting a bit further along on this guy. I mixed some warp lightning green into some dragon bronze and used it to drybrush over the scythe. I thought it worked pretty well, especially with the nalakh oxide.

Also doing a bit of hombrew for the contest I'm entering him into. Tell me what you guys think of this, whether the power is too much, and about where you'd price him. I'm thinking around 80-85 points. Alternately, let me know if you think I should change him up further from a weirdboy.

quote:

Uzgrak Deffcalla
M: 5", WS: 3+, BS: 5+, S: 5, T: 4, W: 5, A: 3, Ld: 6, Sv: 6+
Uzgrak is a single model armed with a Weirdboy Staff
Weapon
Weirdboy Staff

Abilities
'Ere We Go, Mob Rule, Dakka! Dakka! Dakka!

Waaagh! Energy

One Foot in da Grave an' Kickin'
When Uzgrak Deffcalla takes wounds from Perils of the Warp, roll a D6. On a 5+ that wound is not lost. You cannot make a Dok's Tools roll for this model if you do so.

Psyker
This model can manifest one psychic power in each friendly Psychic phase, and attempt to defy one psychic power in each enemy Psychic phase. It knows the Smite and Rise, Ya Gitz Powers.

Faction Keywords: Ork, Deathskulls
Keywords: Character, Infantry, Psyker, Weirdboy, Uzgrak Deffcalla

Rise, Ya Gitz
Green Waaagh! energy rises from the ground and covers the bodies of fallen orks. It covers over the wounds, filling in the gaps where bullets ripped and chainswords tore. The faces of the corpses writhed and twisted into hideous grins as they rose to fight again.

Rise, Ya Gitz has a warp charge value of 8. If manifested, choose a Troops or Elites unit of ten units or less that was destroyed within 18" in the previous turn. It is immediately restored to full strength and placed where it was removed from the board. Any previous modifiers to the unit's statline are removed. It can immediately move as though it were in the Movement phase. If the unit is still alive at the end of this turn, it is immediately slain again. A unit can only be affected by this power once per game.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Getting a bit further along on Uzgrak. I'm pretty happy with how the facepaint turned out.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Congrats they look awesome!!! General question for the thread, does GW do any kinda like black friday sales? I've got my crimson fists all planned out, so I know what I need to buy but I don't wanna spend a whole lot if I don't have to.

GW doesn't really do sales in general. The closest they really get are faction boxes released around the holidays. These often have a pretty decent value. No telling which factions will get them, though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Basic greenstuff work done on Uzgrak's base. Tomorrow, I shall obtain a cardboard box in which to prime it and then I can start painting and applying mud effects.

Still need to decide exactly how I want to paint the spirit ork (or spork for short).

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm actually starting to get to the point where I can start looking into another army now that my orks are getting into a playable state. Once I hit 2000 points painted and 90 boyz, I'll probably get to work on that. Based on the models I currently have, I'll probably go with either Death Guard, Space Wolves, or Blood Angels. Death Guard and Space Wolves from having stuff I bought to paint, Blood Angels because a co-worker gifted me her army about six or seven years ago and I recently unboxed it from storage.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Diabeesting posted:

I've never painted a 40k mini in my life, and really it's only my 3rd ever miniature. But I picked up the 15$ box of plague marines and decided to give it a go. Ive got a lot of cleanup and detail work to go but... I donno, I kind of like him

I've got a wet pallet, some vallejo and citadel paints, and I've decided that Nurgles Rot is a drat trap that makes everything shiny and not good looking. But are there any glaring pointers that you guys wannna point out? Other than thinning my drat paints more holy poo poo pictures make him look so gloopy.

Nurgle's Rot is specifically for stuff that's supposed to look shiny and gooey. So, like, exposed guts or postules. It looks nice and cool there, but not for things like death guard armor. Grab it out again when you get to painting poxwalkers. Paint it over the innardy bits.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mr Teatime posted:

Exactly how hard and fast would I get the hammer brought down on me for using 3rd party head bits in a gw shop? I really would like to do a tallarn army and unless I want to spend a fortune on ebay, it would take outside parts to achieve. I hear some places are more lenient than others but what are the odds. Glasgow if anyone has personal experience.

It's up to the store manager. Surprisingly, GW doesn't dictate the specifics on this. It generally ranges from "As long as most of the model is GW, you're fine" to "If that trigger finger didn't come with that specific kit, then you are out of regulations, dear sir/madam!"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
My local GW (Tucson, AZ) is fairly reasonable so long as the basic chassis of the model is GW. Like, there are definitely horror stories, but again, this is at the store's discretion, so there's no point in getting your hair up until you've asked them.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

quote:

Uzgrak Deffcalla is the weirdboy the other weirdboyz consider a bit off. It's not his obsession with skulls or bones. That's just good Deathskullz superstition. It's not his tendency to dance and scream in the middle of battle. That's normal weirdboy enthusiasm. And it's not the way he pulls the souls of orks from the hands of Gork and Mork and sets them on his enemies... No, wait. Wait. That last one. That's the squig right there. That's not normal, even among weirdboyz.

He was a weirdboy under Waaaagh Gragnutz during the assault on Scythia. During the assault on the tombworld, he witnessed necron warriors pulling themselves back together after they'd been blown apart by a squad of boyz. He was of two minds about this. On the one hand, that meant they'd get to krump the metal heads again. On the other hand, he was running out of boyz.

Frustrated, he screamed at the scattered ork bodies on the battlefield to get back to fightin'. Maybe Gork and Mork heard him, and they liked gettin' orks back into the fight. Maybe it was just the sheer power of Uzgrak's waaagh energy. Or maybe the lads just fancied getting into the fight that much faster. Whatever the cause, the effects were devastating as fallen orks rose to krump again. The battle was handily won, and the tombworld was looted and burned by the Waaagh.

Uzgrak vanished from Gragnatz's forces shortly after, but he's been spotted again and again across the galaxy, calling deff and waaagh down on his enemies wherever he goes.

Uzgrak Deffcalla
4 Power
80 Points
M: 5", WS: 3+, BS: 5+, S: 5, T: 4, W: 5, A: 3, Ld: 6, Sv: 6+
Uzgrak is a single model armed with a Weirdboy Staff

Weapon
Weirdboy Staff

Abilities
'Ere We Go, Mob Rule, Dakka! Dakka! Dakka!, Waaagh! Energy

One Foot in da Grave an' Kickin'

When Uzgrak Deffcalla takes wounds from Perils of the Warp, roll a D6. On a 5+ that wound is not lost. You cannot make a Dok's Tools roll for this model if you do so.

Psyker

This model can manifest one psychic power in each friendly Psychic phase, and attempt to defy one psychic power in each enemy Psychic phase. It knows the Smite and Rise, Ya Gitz Powers.

Faction Keywords: Ork, Deathskulls

Keywords: Character, Infantry, Psyker, Weirdboy, Uzgrak Deffcalla

Rise, Ya Gitz
Green Waaagh! energy rises from the ground and covers the bodies of fallen orks. It covers over the wounds, filling in the gaps where bullets ripped and chainswords tore. The faces of the corpses writhed and twisted into hideous grins as they rose to fight again.

Rise, Ya Gitz has a warp charge value of 8. If manifested, choose a Troops or Elites unit that was destroyed within 18" of Uzgrak Deffcalla in the previous turn. Up to 10 models from that unit are restored to full wounds and placed where it was removed from the board. Any previous modifiers to the unit's statline are removed. It can immediately move as though it were in the Movement phase. If the unit is still alive at the end of this turn, it is immediately slain again.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 26, 2019

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just threw some numbers into Battlescribe. If I paint up everything I currently have built or primed, and get my boy count to 90, I'll have over 2000 points. That's a dakkajet, a trukk, a traktor kannon, a weirdboy, a big mek with SAG, and 36 more boyz. That feels really doable at this point.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, I'm ultimately planning to go for a fairly meta army (Evil Sunz core, Deathskulls Souped Up Shokka, Bad Moonz Lootas), but I'm trying to figure out the HQ situation now that Big Meks with KFF have been relegated to Legends. Right now, I'm planning on putting my Warboss in Sunz, Big Mek with SAG in Skulls, and a weirdboy in with each of them. Is that reasonable? What should I go with for my Bad Moonz HQs?

EDIT: KFF, not SAG.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 28, 2019

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Question: If I took some dakkajets from Aeronatica Imperialis, would they be around the right size for counts-as deffkoptas? I have some ideas involving either remote controls, grots strapped on, or both.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Anime_Otaku posted:

They’re about the size of boyz, maybe smaller.

Hmm. Maybe I can put a couple on a base in formation, or possibly have a drone operator...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Now that I'm home, I've taken some better pictures of Uzgrak. He's also had some varnish applied, so he's much more matte and less shiny.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mentioned earlier I'm planning to start a second army once I hit 90 boyz and 2000 points. My FLGS dude sold me on Iron Hands. I already had the Dark Imperium set and some primaris dreads. He also sold me the relevant codices, primaris aggressors, and Feirros.

I also have some old Marine stuff. Notably, the old Dark Vengeance box. I know those were meant as Dark Angels, but would any of the models work for Iron Hands? Anything in there that would be particularly useful?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

jng2058 posted:

All of the DA half of Dark Vengeance is legal, paint 'em black and they're Iron Hands.

They're not great choices for a competitive Iron Hands army, though. No vehicles, only a couple of heavy weapons. You could use the Tac Marines as a couple of five man Tac Squads to fill in the Troops for a Battalion or Brigade, and the characters are fine, but the Bikers really want to be White Scars, Ultramarines, or Imperial Fists, and while I'd love to say that Termies are good, they really aren't...they need to be three wounds or cheaper. As it is, all the 2D weapons that nearly everyone has kills 'em way too quick. They've got some play as turn two Deep Strikers, especially for the mostly Primaris Iron Hand army that you seem to be building, but if you're going that way you need to use them as flankers hitting a poorly held enemy objective on the far side of the board, not front and center in front of the enemy's main guns.

Gotcha. I'll wait until I get through the Primaris stuff before I dig the Vengeance stuff out.

Hopefully I'll be able to start on this by the New Year. Just got to grind through thirty more boyz and some fun stuff.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finished up a dakkajet today!

Still needs to be based. This is my first Bad Moons model, so I need to come up with a theme that's different from my evil sunz (desert wasteland with highway bits) or my death skullz (churned up mud and grass with skulls). I'm thinking either rusted industrial or snowy ruins. Or both.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Maneck posted:

That is outstanding. What did you do for the yellow?

It's just vallejo heavy goldbrown stippled down. I need to find a good transition yellow to bring up highlights for future vehicles, but I'm pretty happy with the model as it is for now.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Is there an option to build a non-Christmas, classic Red Gobbo?

Also:
I've been looking at Ecclesiarchy units that don't occupy any slots, and noticed you can take a bunch of crusaders / flagellants / death cultists in a Spearhead detachment of 3 penitent engines and a missionary.

...But then nothing gets Objective Secured, everybody is expensive, you have no real shooting, and it gives few CP.

It's thematic as hell to have a penitent detachment, and I love the idea of Sisters without Sisters, but is this even worth thinking about? I should probably wait for the real book at the end of the month.

No, but it's not too difficult to remove the top of the hat, the beard, and the star.

So, my GW shop manager is no fun. I told him how I'm basing my different ork kulturs differently (desert highway for evil sunz, mud and bones for deathskulls, and rusty industrial for bad moons), and he tried to convince me that I should just base all of them exactly the same for "army cohesion" and just paint the rims bright red, blue, and yellow.

You'd think the fact that they're all orks is cohesion enough.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
My ork airforce is coming along nicely.

First, a Deathskulls deffkopta. There are two more that are about 60% done.

Next, a Bad Moons dakkajet. Lot of stippling and drybrushing went into its paintjob.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The Waaagh is growing.

First, finished up another HQ. Got my Big Mek with SAG going.

Then got some boyz together.

Finally, I've got a trukk which will be carrying some tankbustas around once I get around to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
CA stuff for orks has leaked, and I'm reasonably happy. All of the buggies except the wartrike have dropped, so that's nice. The rumored points increase for grots was wrong. Pointsdrops for deffkoptas and warbikers. Slight point increase on smasha guns. Sizeable decreases on deff dreads and killa kanz. Burna boyz got a slight point decrease, but I don't think it's going to help a lot. Similarly, even with the fairly massive forty point decrease, I don't see the squigbuggy getting a lot of use without a statline overhaul. Still, at least you can bring it without hurting yourself too much.

Excitingly, Big Mek with KFF is in the CA list, which suggests it's not going into Legends.

Oh, and a fifty point drop on the stompa, which isn't gonna matter whatsoever.