Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hi thread, another disciple of the Omnissiah here.

Wanted to show my WIP on this Dread Maw I'm painting for a friend, our table is Mars so that's what I'll be going for with the base.

I've never painted a creature before, admech is my first foray into wargaming so I've only been painting my metal men this year. Any tips appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Booley posted:

So far this looks great! The eyes probably need a dot of white to indicate that they're shiny, and I think you could stand to push the inside of the mouth just a tiny bit closer to pink (but that might not be worth doing since you've already painted all the teeth).

Cheers! I haven't finished the eye yet, was still considering doing a milky blind eye. I think you're right about the mouth too, the teeth aren't really done anyway so there's still time.

I was considering using a Martian Ironcrust on the hide, but happy to be talked out of it if it'll gently caress it up.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 20, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Booley posted:

If you're going back into the mouth, in addition to pushing it further to pink I'd try to get some very fine highlights of pure white on the fleshy parts, again because those areas will have some sort of glossy reflections from moisture.

Good idea, thanks

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm still in the process of putting a "real" army together from Start Collecting and Forgebane but the plan is:

2x Dominus (Planning on magnetizing the weapons)

2x Rangers (5 man units, one with 2x Arquebii, one with an Arc Rifle+Caliver)
2x Vanguard (5 man, each with an Arc Rifle and Caliver)

1x Dunecrawler (Magnetized weapons + Heavy Stubber)

2x Armiger Warglaives (Magnetized shoulder weapons since they can't swap anything on the arms anyway)

Mars seems like it's still fine? I was going with Stygies VIII colors/planning on using that dogma.

If there's another eBay sale this year I'll definitely buy a Fist box, hell I'll probably buy one anyway.

For Infiltrators, math* says flechette/goad Infiltrators are the way to go, and honestly it just seems cooler than power swords anyway.

*1d4chan's math

As a new admech player, I can't overstate how much I enjoy the Kastelan robots. People don't like the design (but they're wrong) and they infuriate everyone that plays against them. Shields that inflict mortal wounds, great saves and a ridiculous amount of shots that ignore cover. I have 4 and they're my favourite unit.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 20, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nah, that goofy guy on the left is more my jam.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Decorus posted:

I mostly finished my Knight. Some light weathering left to do, chipping on the legs and some light dust effects. That'll have to wait until after the holidays.

Someone requested pictures of the completed heraldry, so here you go. To those of you who had some suggestions about the Ultramar sigil, thank you. It ended up quite different from my original idea, and incorporates a bunch of ideas from other people.

This is "Duty Remains", piloted by lady Menandore of Calth.

Holy crap that's neat

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The only thing that I don't really like about the kastelans is the head but I've seen some great conversions so whatever, it's a cool enough robot

I love it, but I also use fallout protectrons as servitors.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, I'm definitely going to get some, that list was just the stuff I literally have sitting in my apartment right now in various states of completion. I watched an AdMech v Blood Angels batrep on Tabletop Tactics and the mortal wound reflection proc'd twice during one unit's attack and the reaction from the BA player was fantastic.

Also I magnetized all of the Dunecrawler weapon options last night, it was actually far easier than i thought it was going to be, even accounting for the $5 pin vise I bought on Amazon being a huuuuuuge piece of poo poo.

Nice, I play against a blood angels player regularly and usually come out on top.

Infiltrators look cool (definitely choose the taser goad) but I've never been able to use them effectively.

Dragoons are rad (-2 to hit as stygies) but after painting a pair of them I never want to repeat that ordeal.

I think the biggest rort kit are the electro priests, GW want to charge Australia nearly double what they cost in the UK, and they look terrible.

Inspector_666 posted:

It's not just an option, the way that GW put the actual weapon assembly together makes it super easy! I'll take photos when I get home, trying to type out how to do it is just word salad. The only fiddly bit was measuring the sprue length to mount a magnet that holds on the Icarus rocket assembly/endcap thing, but that's more down to my own impatience and even then it only took me two tries.

Cool. I wish they'd just have included two more mounts so you could just sub out any gun without magnets at all.

I went for 2x neutron lasers and a icarus array (since you can make them hit ground targets on a 2 for 1cp)

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 20, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

I figure having a unit that can effectively deep strike and immediately unload 25 shots into something (S3 AP0 D1 but still, 25 of em!) is handy as hell even if it's just a distraction for a turn.

Having more mounts would have been ideal for sure. And yeah, I figure since you generally want to run Dunecrawlers in pairs (at least) a neutron laser and icarus are no-brainers for the first two.

Hah I made the mistake of making a squad of 10 (I got two boxes dirt cheap), counting out 50 dice isn't fun, at least my kastelans' shooting is in multiples of 18 and I have boxes of 36. I'm playing an ork army soon, so hopefully they'll get some use.

Keen to see your magnets, I want to try it on the next one.

You should have fun with those armigers, they're basically cheaper and better dreadnoughts.

e: sorry if this comes off as telling you about your own poo poo, I'm just getting a handle on it all myself and jazzed at how good this army is

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 20, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Actually something I've wondered, is there any reason why you can't repair a model that's engaged in close combat? Opponent was adamant you couldn't but I can't find anything to suggest that you can't.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cooked Auto posted:

When it comes to magnets it helps to mark which side should be facing downwards with a felt tip pen or something before you glue them on.

Truth. I messed this up on an expensive piece of resin, lucky it was easy to pop them out

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

inscrutable horse posted:

On the subject of magnets, how powerful should/shouldn't the magnets be? I found a local online supplier, but I don't know if I should go for the neodymium magnets or some other ones.

Incidentally, for any Danish/Scandinavian goons, this is the supplier in question.

I go for more powerful than necessary, they're only going to get weaker over time and the last thing I want is droopy guns. Plus you can all ways do magnet to metal if they're too strong to go magnet to magnet

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Autism Sneaks posted:

the beta rules for the Termite Drill and Secutarii were released, but surprising hopefully nobody, they're bad. the Red Scorpions chapter master in a Relic Leviathan Dreadnought was also going to be in the book, but he at least doesn't suck

hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

The drill is rad! Shame about the troops not getting your forgeworld keywords though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/23/23rd-dec-coming-your-way-this-christmasgw-homepage-post-1/

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'm on board, was considering a small guard detachment and this is excellent. Сила Марса!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Can anyone help me with this shade of blue?

Preferably citadel or vallejo.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Yeast posted:

If you can get it, that’s Bering Blue in Scale

https://scale75.com/en/scalecolor-range/232-bering-blue.html

That looks perfect, but I've never seen scale here in Australia unfortunately. I'll order it if nothing else presents itself.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Yeast posted:

Hey me too!

I’m in Melbourne. There’s 3 retailers here that stock it on shelves, if you can’t find anyone I’d be more than happy to put one in the post for you. :)

That'd be amazing, thank you! I'm going to do a search this week and if I can't find any I'll send you a PM.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Having one of those times where warhams turns into a wierd math problem.

I have 40 Skitarii troops. 10 built as rangers (taser alpha, 3x arquebus) and 20 built as vanguard (2 sword alphas, 3x calivers, 3x arc rifles more calivers.)

now I'm trying to think of how to build the last 10 to account for now having a number of special weapons that encourages me to go MSU while also keeping in mind that I'll probably want them to fit into a single battalion.

edit current thinking is:

Keep vanguard squads as is.
build a second ranger alpha and arquebus for 2 5-ranger arquebus squads.
one big mobile ranger squad using the extras from above plus the two special weapons.
which leaves me room for a kataphron squad if I want.

I'd keep your arquebus in 5 man squad with 2, less wastage.

I solved my own dilemma by giving rangers and vaguards hooded heads (which I like better and I save the vanguard helmets for conversions) so I can keep everything interchangeable.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Quidthulhu posted:

I used Stegadon Scale Green for similar coats on Imperial Officers from Imperial Assault. I don’t remember what I hilighted them with but the base color is pretty close!

That's not bad, but I'll try to get that Bering Blue, it's too perfect. Cheers

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 27, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Argh, I'm trying to paint some kalabite warriors for the same friend who's bribing me with vostroyans but he wants them in white stormtrooper armour. These are horrible little figures, I hate them and white armour. There's got to be a simple way to not make them look like rear end.

e: oops, forgot the tax.

Here's some WIP for an armiger I'm also doing

Basic colours done, now need to do details and weathering.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 27, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

R0ckfish posted:

I finished up a warboss, really fun model to paint!

Looks drat slick. Love the blue.

evol262 posted:

Get a set of acrylic pencils to cheat the edge highlights

Sorcery! Thanks!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

evol262 posted:

Get a set of acrylic pencils to cheat the edge highlights

To clarify, you do mean pencils not those gundam markers right?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah if I can't even get one to look good without spending a day on it I'm going to bail.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There’s a goon who improved upon a mass production dipping style they found on YouTube. They did it for like 120 chaos AoS minis and they turned out really well for super fast table top quality.

He also did a test model for a kabalite and it looked even better. I think because the chaos dudes have a bunch of flesh but the kabalites are pure armor. I don’t know if they highlighted the kabalite manually but the model looked incredible for such a quick paint job.

Would like to know more.

evol262 posted:

Just to clarify, I'm drunk and I misspoke. I checked my order history and they're actually watercolor pencils, and not acrylic. Tutorial still applies, though. For anyone looking at Amazon/Dick Block/wherever, it's watercolor.

Specifically, I have:

OOKU Watercolor Pencils Arist Set - 48 Dry Coloring Pencils/Wet Watercolor Painting - BONUS Wool Pencil Canvas Wrap, Watercolor Brush, Pencil Sharpene https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD318QF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_LYOLiMZ86B49u

This is great, can't wait to try it out.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 28, 2018

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Muninn posted:

I am absolutely going to try edge highlighting with those pencils. Which varnish do people recommend? I seem to recall Testors Dullcote being popular.

I really like tamiya flat clear, but I also use their rattle cans to base so AMA about being bad with money.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

if you go through dexefiend's posts in that thread... it's incredible. Dexefiend is an absolute machine at modeling.

I've never seen dipping look that good! I don't know if I can not gently caress it up.

So assuming I sprayed these dumb elves a racing white, could I use an acrylic varnish and highlight the edges with a pencil then dull coat? What colour varnish should I be looking for?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

R0ckfish posted:

I have completed a trukk, I gotta say this army is a lot of fun to paint. It is like when I did the nids where I don't really lose motivation to paint which is nice.

That blue really pops, we're you going for an anodised steel look? It's awesome

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

R0ckfish posted:

It could be interpreted as such, I was mostly just trying to make a blue I liked rather then any kind of grand idea.

A great success I'd say. Love seeing non rusty orc stuff

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: yeah I'll just Google that for myself, sorry

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 3, 2019

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Gonna be in the minority then in not liking that new tech priest. Too busy.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So with the new rules, am I right in assuming you can avoid the auxiliary detachment -1 CP penalty by making say a patrol detachment that gets no CP? Looking for the best way to field things like my Vindicate assassin and other rag tag imperium models.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Real world cost aside, how does 3 chimeras stack up against a crassus for transporting 30+ guard?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

PierreTheMime posted:

Looking great! I'll probably have to break down and pick him up eventually, it's such a great model.

Speaking of great models, I'm putting together the snap-fits for Blackstone Fortress and they are drat impressive. Some of the multi-part layered pieces are particularly well done. I've decided I'm going to intersperse these models in between batches of Genestealer Cultists to break up the monotony.

How's the UR-025 figure? I've ordered one to run with admech for fun (stygies, they're cool about that kind of thing)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

The only Blackstone figure I've seen negative comments about is the Eldar lady, mostly because all the spindly bits can get bent pretty easily.

I've seen some UR-025 figures for sale for pretty cheap and I might pick one up even if it never actually gets into a game just because it's so cool looking. I'll probably end up getting the Genestealer McCree dude too, for the same reason.

Yeah there's a bunch of cool ones, the pyro lady is rad. But none of the 40k stat lines are too impressive. If you were allowed more than 1 per army, I'd consider a few more men of iron as dominus body guards.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Badablack posted:

Does anyone know of some decent 28mm Wild West themed scenery? Gonna grab that new Kill Team board and cowboy it right up along with some outlaw genestealer cult. Already got a gallows painted up, cacti are easy enough to find, mostly want false fronts and saloon doors and all that stuff.

I want to play this. I hope you succeed

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I played my first game of 40k since 3rd ed today and got tabled super hard. Like he still had 900 points out of 1500. Kastelan robots wreck some poo poo, man. Good lord.

The only unit of mine that did anything was the tzaangors, which seem hilariously good for their point cost. Anyways, I mostly lost the game in deployment.

I first realised how good the Kastelans were when they took out my buddy's Repulsor without it getting to fire a shot. He was not impressed.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

The only transport option is the Termite from Forge World. The rules for it are available on the store page, too.

Haven't tried it, but it looks like a pretty good suicide ram too.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, the actual Termite seems very good, it just comes with all of the usual FW caveats.

Lack of canticles is a slight bummer, but not too bad. Pair of melta cutters seems to be the way to go yeah?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

The melta cutter is part of the basic hull, the weapon choices are 2x of either storm bolters, heavy flamers, or twin volkite chargers. Heavy flamer is both the most expensive choice and won't even be in range when you put it on the table so I guess you're really just picking between the bolters or the volkite charger.

Oh whoops, I misread. Volkite seems to edge out the bolters since you're probably going to be ramming a tank.

e: actually, maybe you're better off with the bolters to clear some infantry. Tough one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Inspector_666 posted:

I would probably take the volkites unless you want to just make it as cheap as possible I think? They're just better bolters since you're going to be in range after you deep strike anyway.

Sure, but with a penalty to hit. Although have a dominus disembark for rerolls and its probably worth it yes.