Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

FiestaNinja posted:

It'd be nice if they could imply the whole excess and hedonism aspect without just doing cheesy sex demons. Make daemonettes in to gluttonous fatty-monsters or something.

Or way more androgynous and weird like the crab-claw 2nd/3rd ed daemonettes.

Well, the Chaos Marines Codex had a lot of interesting takes on Slaanesh worshippers. The big emphasis was excess of sensation: Noise Marines have supremely heightened senses but can only be satisfied by the loudest, craziest noises from the battlefield. Your Warlord can get extra attacks from the wounds they've taken because they get a sadomasochistic pleasure from pain. The Emperor's Children wear such garish colours because their eyesight has been enhanced and they demand the most stimulating colours possible.

They even get to the point where their armour fuses to them and they can feel what happens through it as though it's their skin, so you can imagine that Slaaneshi Hellbrutes might be the only ones not crazy from anger, but just loving the excess of feeling.

There's even a renegade band of Slaanesh followers who are into vore (:gonk:) because they invaded a demon world that was basically a giant fat man, who woke up, unleashed noise marines upon them, ate them, and regurgitated them back out to go and do the same to others. At least Space Marines get the whole "stealing memories from eating people" thing so it has some use I guess. . . .

I think we'll really see where they're going with Slaanesh with the Chaos Demons codex, which is coming January, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

The Bee posted:

Okay I want citation on Fat Man Planet because what.

p.53 of the latest Chaos Codex has the story, and the renegade chapter are called the "Corpus Brethren."

SteelMentor posted:

I can't wait for the fursuit inflation Slaaneshi warband.

If someone hasn't done it yet, someone will, someday soon. . . . :v:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

The best thing about that video is that they released it a day after someone said "make me a video that proves why I should buy your paint pot." :v:

The community team sure move fast!

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

TKIY posted:

Designers Commentary also updated. Index wargear is okay for Codex units:

I guess that leaves my Autarch with a Warp Jump Generator out in the cold still though? Swooping Hawk Wings, Jetbikes, and Warp Jump Generators seem to make models into different units rather than being wargear. :(

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

What do you mean by out in the cold? You can still use the index entry and cost the wargear per the codex.

But which version of the Path of Command would he get is the part I'm a bit confused about, I guess the Index one? Also, the Warp Spiders got extra deep strike rules (with a random chance of death though) that the Autarch doesn't have.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

He'd get the codex path of command. Because path of command is a rule in the codex and its codex definition supersedes the definition in the index.

Regarding deepstrike, dunno. That probably needs a faq. If I were playing, I'd let you use the Warp Strike rule but you still roll 2d6 and on a roll of 2, bye bye autarch. So kind of risky.

Ahh, that's good, I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Yeah, I'd imagine he doesn't get it because he didn't get the Flickerfield effect that Warp Spider units get (which also has an "oops, we died" effect.) A bit of risk is always fun though.

Maybe he'll see the table yet. :3

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Ilor posted:

Wait, wait, wait. I thought the whole point of Primaris marines was that the flaws in their geneseeds had been "corrected" by Cawl. How do Primaris Blood Angels still have the Red Thirst?

The HH books heavily implied that the Red Thirst already existed before Sanguinius died, and he was trying to keep it secret so that his Legion wouldn't get "Russed."

Cawl also stated that he wanted to preserve the things that make each Legion unique, while removing the stuff that is *too* detrimental. So, no to the Black Rage, yes to the Red Thirst, in a controlled way.

Also, probably yes to "Thousand Sons are great Psykers" no to "they keep mutating into terrifying horrors." Presuming the latter was actually a geneseed flaw, I'm not entirely sure. . . .

What will be very interesting is what he's done with the Space Wolves and their Primaris: will we have Primaris Wulfen? I'd wager not, but there are some advantages to the Canis Helix.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Broken Record Talk posted:

More than heavily implied; it's flat out confirmed. One if the core threads in Fear to Tread is the Legion's struggle with the Red Thirst.

Horus finds out about it, but promises Sanguinius that he will keep it a secret to protect him, only to later use it to lure the entire legion into a trap. Horus tells Sanguinius that he thinks he's found a cure, but it's far away, in the Signus Cluster, so Sanguinius mounts up with the boys, and arrives to find the system completely consumed by demons, who want to turn Sanguinius and the legion.

Thanks for confirming, I hadn't read that book, so I didn't want to say 100% that it is covered in the HH.

In other words: the Thirst is a feature, not a bug. The Rage, is a bug though.

Liquid Communism posted:

Probably won't be an issue any time soon, anyway. IIRC for most of them, becoming Wulfen isn't something that happens until late in their careers anyway, as the Canis Helix changes are progressive.

It has been 100 years or so by now, might start showing up a bit, but probably not a *serious* issue until much later, yeah.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Hey all, I have a friend who's interested in getting into Grey Knights: I have absolutely no idea what to suggest for getting started though, and they don't have a "Start Collecting" box, anyone have any suggestions on where to begin?

We're talking up to 1000 points, as that's the "standard" in our growing community right now. :)

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

I feel like more than three of any single model is tedious.

I batch-painted units of 50 clan-rats in groups of 10: never again.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I batch-painted Night Goblins in a group of 75. That wasn't a good idea.

I'm sorry. :ohdear:

Also, I think my post got lost in previous discussions, but here I'll go again:

I have a friend who is interested in starting up Grey Knights, what would be a good investment for the 1000 point mark? It seems they don't have a Start Collecting box. :(

Our meta is growing slowly so that's where we're trying to get to at the moment, and we're going to have a 750 point tournament at the ned of January.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I didn't see anyone respond to this yet. For a core GK force, I'd personally recommend a Nemesis Dreadknight Grandmaster, a Librarian and some Grey Knights in power armor. PA GK are versatile, so he can try fielding them a few different ways (ie strike squads, purgation squads, purifiers, or interceptors) and decide what he wants to use. Then I'd add another Dreadknight or a Land Raider or a Stormraven, according to preference. Then he can build from there depending on what he likes. Draigo and Voldus are good. Terminators are strong but very costly. Grey Knights usually carry a mix of their different melee weapon options. Incinerators and Psilencers are both good choices. Psycannons are fine but a bit overshadowed by Psilencers.

Thanks a bunch for that advice! I know a bit about regular Marines (though Chaos are my current obsession) but GK are pretty foreign to me. Will pass the suggestions along. :)

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Or did he?

*ominous music*

He is back, apparently, and has a very good sense of humour about the whole "fluff-killer" thing.

It is said that he left for a while because of the death threats he got over the codices he wrote: which may be one of the reasons you don't have a main writer attributed to a codex anymore. :ohdear:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You will be able to find his works by counting the number of dead Sisters.

That was some really dumb fluff that was very quietly excised from the later Grey Knight codices, thankfully.

It is absolutely the reason they don't designate authors any more.

It's ridiculous, but, at the same time, not surprising that nerd rage over fluff would end up with death threats, even though it's incredibly depressing.

Cooked Auto posted:

Huh, he's back on a more permanent basis? Last thing I remember was that he was being brought in freelance to do some of the writing for the 30k Inferno book. Beyond that I haven't heard much else.

I'm not sure if he's free-lance, like Gav, but I believe he tweeted about being back. At any rate, my understanding of his work is that he's pretty good at mechanics, but fluff-wise, well, dead Sisters of Battle, so it seems like they just need to put him to the right task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

The emperor of mankind

The mother loving emperor of mankind I said

(He made this edit)

And this is just a tiny, tiny sneak peak into his collection.

I see the Emperor there and all I can think of is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfeacZ2fuS8