Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So I managed to quit this habit for like 6 years and then a friend bought some Tau and now he's organised a kill team game(s) session at a gaming place in London.

I have a massive imperial guard army but I ended up seeing Eisenhorn had a limited edition figure so I bought him and started painting him, idea was to use him on kill team.

However, when I wrote my kill team list because Eisenhorn is so expensive and everyone wants to do 100 points, the list is basically: Eisenhorn, Guard Sergeant, Guardsman with Plasma Gun, Guardsman with Meltagun, and Guardsman with flamer.

I then bought some Valhallans (thanks ebay) and have began painting them for a caiphas Cain theme kill team, which is essentially: Lord Commissar, Guard Sergant, Scion with Meltagun, guardsman with vox and comms, guardsman with flamer, guardsman with grenade launcher, and six guardsmen with lasguns.

So I've not played kill team and its been a long time since I played 40K but I would assume the second kill team is more competitive because 70% of the points aren't sunk into one model. Is there anyone here who's played kill team who can comment on how awful the Eisenhorn team would be? I really would like to use it but it seems like a single model would just get blasted off the table by any other kill team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Thanks guys.

It's just a casual couple of games with friends so it doesn't need to be super competitive, but if I took Eisenhorn and he just got blasted to bits immediately it wouldn't be very fun.

It's 100 points but they've said commanders are OK, and since the Lord Commissar is only 25 points I am more comfortable with that then Eisenhorn. I guess I'll use the 100 points with the Lord Commissar plus guardsmen.

I'll definetly give the goon hammer articles a read, I saw some of the site through somewhere else and didn't even realise it was from people here.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

Your Kill Team can be led by the noted Imperial Hero, Lord Commissar Biaphas Bain

Edit: If you have a couple of Ratling minis, Rein and Raus are a pair of pretty cheap and fun sneaky dudes who can pull off some silly shenanigans.

I actually bought a daemon host miniature that is 100% cherubael from a Russian website and they make knock off 40K novel miniatures. So like they call him something like Heroic Commissar 2 because the first was taken down due to a cease and desist. My favourite one is they sell a Ravenor model and he's called "Mr Chair".

The Caiphas Cain model is drinking some tanna tea and he looks like the Cain from the cover (which is different to how he's described).

I actually made a conversion of caiphas Cain ages ago, started touching him up a bit as he's been in storage a while (his gold needs to be finished , but I think he mostly looks recogniseable. I have an old school chainsword for him painted up but it broke off, so for kill team my excuse is he's just that good with his chainsword and Las pistol they count as a power sword and bolt pistol.

Edit: This is Caiphas Cain's war face. Sideburns for life.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 14, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

At 100 points you're better off without a commander. Take more bodies.

I could do but I wanted to do something a little cooler. I get that the super competitive way would be for me to spam cadians with plasma guns but I felt that was a bit dull.

Plus I think I only own like 4 cadian plasma guns and you take take 8 in kill team. It was meltaguns were where it was at when I played in 5th so I have loads of them.

Eisenhorn would be even cooler than Cain, I just foresaw me getting obliterated pretty much turn 1 or 2 and then sulking. Wanted to make sure that's an accurate assessment before I give up my hopes and dreams.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 14, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Strobe posted:

Not taking a Commander at 100 points isn't a 'play competitive' move, it's a 'don't get your poo poo pushed in' move. It's going to be really tough to even play close games if you're checking for break when the third Guardsman goes down.

I'm playing as Vallhallans so they only use a D3 for nerve checks rather than a D6, and as long as the Lord Commissar isn't instantly smushed they have Ld 9 which is what the break test is taken against right?

The way I looked at it the Lord Commissar is 27 points, which is basically 5 extra bodies with lasguns, or maybe 2/3 with a special weapon. I definetly see having 3 guardsmen with plasma guns being better than the Lord Commissar but I didn't think it would be that disastrous.

I don't think anyone else has super competitive lists and most people have never played the game before, so I was hoping taking a cool narrative list will be fun without getting anhiliated. I don't even mind losing as long as its not like "you're tabled by turn two" or whatever.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Strobe posted:

I was mostly aimed at the Inquisitor list with five total models. The Commissar list is... less of a disaster waiting to happen. Eleven models is still on the low side for Guard that's not bringing a huge brace of special weapons, though.

Ah yeah, no I guessed it would be bad to spend so much on one model but I was hoping someone would essentially say "ah no actually it's not that bad because..." and talk about some rule or way the game is played I hadn't figured out. It was a long shot.

I think I'm happy with "you aren't going to get pasted but it's also not that good". One guy may bring an awesome ork kill team but I think everyone else is just bringing whatever. I have to lend a friend some grey Knights to take, but at least when they have 5 models it's because each one is pretty awesome.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Lol after I made a cool and thematic kill team list I asked you guys about and I was like "yeeeeah winning isn't really important, I just want to make a list that isn't going to implode instantly" my friend who is new to it looked up a bunch of stuff online and has made a ta'u list that is a stealth suit, three guys with rail rifles, and then a poo poo load of gun drones to make the most of saviour protocol being pretty awesome in kill team.

Part of me feels like I should take the more "serious" list I wrote which is basically a sergeant, rein and raus, a comms guy with a vox, three plasma guners and a melta gunner, and seven guardsmen.

But drat it I have spent time and money painting my new army men and I want to use them!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Yeast posted:

Finished another 3 tanks for the ol' Steel Legion army

These are awesome, they look like something straight out of the display cabinet at Warhammer World.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

In Eisenhorn the psychic power of a titan’s machine spirit is too much for a blank and it ends up causing them significant harm. Emps is surely more powerful than that.

In Ravenor, Zael a psychic who turns out to be so bad rear end he literally becomes a grey Knight, manages to break an untouchable's null presence over time and wear it down.

Anything with the emperor though is just explained as "he's basically a god".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ineptmule posted:

This is really cool.

It’s even implied that she had a degree of this effect on non-Psykers in the scene where they meet for the first time. Something about her being unable to integrate with people and basically alienating everybody she’d ever met.

They say it about Bequin and Frauka several times in Eisenhorn and Ravenor, and they say it about Jurgen in the Caiphas Cain novels too. People don't like blanks, because they feel weird.

Eisenhorn is probably the most inconsistent because he is like physically repulsed by Bequin and then later he's just leading a different untouchable around by the hand like it's no big deal. I think Bequin kisses him on the cheek or holds his hands later on at some point. I think at one stage she's pretending to be a prostitute and she like literally lies on top of him and he just looks at the police searching the room like "Yeaaaaah boy".

He basically never mentions the physical repulsion after the first book, which you could explain as the character not repeating themself because they essentially are telling the story to the reader, but Abnett repeats other stuff so I think he just realised its loving hard to write a pair of characters where like literally one of them feels sick if they even touch.

The bit about the Sisters of Silence seeing the golden throne for what it is seems cool though. Makes sense that like the emperors psychic aura would make people be in awe of his rotting corpse on life support, but when you're immune to that you see a corpse being pumped with souls of sacrificed psykers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Honestly I just find it hard to keep up with what's going on, as someone who doesn't go to the store much or anything its like some teaser and then "hey look new rule books and models" and I have no idea if something lore wise is happening or not.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
So I played a practice kill team game on a friends kitchen table.

It was a three way match and the sides were:

Me: Lord Commissar, Sergeant, Veteran Scion Meltagun, Comms with a vox, Demolitions with a flamer, grenade launcher, and 7 guardsmen. All valhallan.

Friend 1: Grey Knight Justicar, Combat grey Knight with hakbard, incinerator with Demolitions, incinerator with zealot, normal grey Knight

Friend 2: Stealth suit leader, sniper pathfinder with rail rifle, Demolitions pathfinder with rail rifle, Comms pathfinder with rail rifle, Recon drone, five gun drones.

Basically this is how we ended up deployed:

Instantly you guys are probably thinking "why the gently caress did he split his guardsmen up" and that was the big mistake I made.

The tau player is sat in that building at the back, and he stayed there all game and as a result did very little.

The grey Knight player rushed the centre and she slaughtered basically everyone in the middle, losing an incinerator and her combat guy in the process.

We were playing Sweep and clear so she got like 7 points from killing people, plus 3 points as there were two grey Knights next to an objective and they were beating on a guardsman. I only killed the grey Knights thanks to the Lord Commissar being lucky as poo poo.

Mistakes were made, but I can see why a "proper" guard list is basically max out special weapons. With all the minuses to hit, the lack of numbers, and the weakness of lasguns they aren't very useful.

Edit: bonus photo I thought looked cool (no pun intended)

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 21, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I loved necromunda but I refuse to play the new one until I can ay my spyrer gang again. Sure they were poo poo because they died way too easily, but drat it I wanted to play as rich people hunting the poor.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Congrats, if my friend actually collects an army rather than kill team I'm probably going to go back and touch up whatever my army at those points levels is. I think I need a couple of wyvern though because they look awesome in 8e but took up a valuable leman russ slot when I played in 5e.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Giant Isopod posted:

I was having trouble deciding how to re-paint some crusaders that have never seen the table so I decided to use them as a testbed for learning some blending and gradients in different colors. About halfway in I realized I had essentially made Inquisitorial Power Rangers

Lol I love this.

The question is, what role does Inquisitor Karamzov play? Presumably he's the big fighting robot

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Chiwie posted:

Hammer of Math: Smash Captain THUNDERDOME

Beer asked the goonhammer crew for their hottest smash captains. He then threw them into the MATH grinder. 

Can I just take a moment to congratulate the author of this article on the smash captain names. I loved all of them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

tallkidwithglasses posted:

My favorite was the Salamanders one.

Mine was actually Brother Captain Optimus Maximus. I think it's a name I can use for anything cheese based in games

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Have to say as an Imperial Guard/Empire player I always hated the sweeping advance rules in 40K and Fantasy. It always felt lame to have situations where you have like, two powerful guys kill 5 guardsmen or empire mooks, and instead of their 35 friends going "hey, that guy killed Steve! Let's gently caress him up boys!" they go "Oh no! Minor casualties, our one weakness! Run away everyone!" and then get totally wiped out.

I think the new rules are a little better but still have some gripes with them. Anything is better than one dude wiping out 40 guys that's there's no way they could kill if combat had continued though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

raverrn posted:

Yeah, same. If it's you and 19 of your 'friends' in a hole somewhere, you've all got rifle butts and knives, and a polar bear rolls up and guys there people? Sure, the 17 that are left could probably kill the thing with hand weapons. But odds are you're gonna leave instead.

Normal guys off the street yes, but soldiers who have been subject to basic training and brainwashed with propoganda?

It's why I like the new rules having granularity. Sure maybe a couple of guys break and leg it, but for anything short of total decimation on a short space of time some will stay.

Also the guard didn't get anything effective at making people stay put until you could hide a commissar in a blob of 50 men and he couldn't be targeted. Even then you could fail your like Ld 8/9 test and get basically an entire platoon wiped out by one lucky space marine.

Just never felt right.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I mean the only race that wouldn't technically "flee" as such is maybe the Necrons or Space Marines.

Even then its easy to explain as the "dead" models are falling back in an ordered manner because they are sure the battle is lost or they've sustained too heavy casualties, and the remaining models have been ordered/volunteered to fight a rear guard action to cover their retreat.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

whiteshark12 posted:

Nah, they've been doing army boxes for a long time, I had many Battleforce boxes from late 4th. They also used to be far better value, this is what you could get for £50 a decade ago:

To be honest though there's no point talking about what prices were like a decade ago as it was cheaper across the board.

When I started collecting my Cadian army they were all metal and very expensive. Then they were £15 for 20 guardsmen, then £18 for 20, then £18 for ten, now its £20 for ten.

Games Workshop seems to have based their pricing models on the UK housing market: the best time to invest was years ago.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well it's here I might as well start painting it.

Because I want to Start Collecting Tyranids?

That's how they get ya.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In my case it wasn't that hard. After two years of painting power armor I realized I really wanted to try something a little different, and I have a few ideas about combining my bone painting technique with contrast paints which should help me paint things up pretty quickly.

To be fair I've always felt tyranids are the army that can look the best with the least effort. For ages you can just base coat and wash them and then add a few small details and bam, good looking army.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Giant Isopod posted:

I would assume you're one of those people that can't help but try and put their weird fetish in the game

Luckily my fetish is for depressingly pedantic arguments about melee combat in games involving models, so I've been getting off in every edition.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

moths posted:

I think the idea is to present a completely overwhelming pile of church imagery when you put the army together. Individual pieces may seem weird, but the overall appearance will be like a fluid, fighting cathedral.

Yeah I'm really digging it. Everything is like over the top vestments and poo poo, that's their whole deal.

It was like my new to 40K friend saying Necrons look boring because they all look the same. It's like, yeah, that's their whole deal. They are minimalist mass produced robots.

The Sisters are like the opposite, every person in theory is adorned and decorated as if they were part of a fanatical church.

You don't have to like that, it's fine, and realistically there's loads of ways you could make the models look more boring even if it involves cutting bits off or sanding bits down.

Regarding GW stores years ago I did apply for a job in one in the UK and basically their whole thing was "you work in your local stores for a couple of years and then we move you to be a manager of a store somewhere else". The impression I got is you then get moved every couple of years to bigger and busier stores, and eventually you either run the flagship or end up at the HQ.

My local store manager actually went to a tournament with me and I met some of his friends who worked in the HQ. He eventually left the local store and now organises the events in Nottingham.

Might be different in other countries but here the expectation is you don't just stick in one place.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think it's also worth noting this edition of 40K seems to be the most friendly to getting just anything and throwing together an army. It's not going to be like a tournament army, but the rules are there so like if you have two units each you can play a game with them. The open play rules combined with the ability to use power levels rather than points means you can just buy models as and when you can afford them and play.

Sure if you go to a shop someone you don't know may want to only do matched play which means points and detachments etc but the point is you don't have to play that way anymore. In previous editions it was all points and two troops and a HQ minimum and limits on how many units of certain types you can take. GW would say "but feel free to play differently if you want!" but that's always bullshit because I can use my monopoly board as a Frisbee but it doesn't mean I'm playing monopoly.

Now though they've sort of enshrined it in the rules, so it's legitimate to go to a store or a club and be like "hey I want to play a quick open game, I have a power level of 3, anyone want to play that?".

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It may be a regional thing, because around DC I have never used PL or even seen it discussed. Matched Play is the norm around here, regardless of how competitive the scene is.

That said people are generally friendly and all too willing to show how to play..

To be fair I've not been to any clubs or stores to play since sort of getting back into it all, I've mostly looked at matched play and points too.

On the other hand I did used to hang out in my local GW and a gaming club, and like if someone had only a couple of units I would be worried about like will the game be fun to play without the HQ and two troops it's designed for and differences in points. Now that there's a way that's like "hey this method isn't super competitive but it's an easy way to use your units" that's in the rulebook I'd be more comfortable either asking someone or being asked to play such a game.

I just have flashbacks to when I had a steam tank and like ten empire gunners and I played a friends tomb Kings in WHF. At such a low points value the missions didn't work and my steam tank just crushed his entire army. We knew each other so it was fine but I'd have felt bad if that was a random dude.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I know it's a bit of a long shot but if there are any goons in London that want to play toy soldiers let me know.

I've got a big army but it was collected in 5e and I've not played much of 8e yet so you'll have to put up with me being a bit poo poo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think my friends who wanted to try out kill team/already play kill team booked a table at the bad moon cafe this weekend actually!

Edit: oh no its for the 24th. Still a friend found it and booked something for the weekend.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Lord Hydronium posted:

So I've just been trying out painting a few different armies, and I did my first IG:

I really liked painting that little guy! I based the color scheme off a bit in the codex about the Vresh Grenadiers. Used contrast paint for the flesh, which was a real timesaver. Overall, this was the quickest and easiest model to paint so far, which is probably a good thing if I want to do IG as a main army, since I understand I'll be needing a lot of them. :v:

The flesh on this guy puts my models to shame. What did you do with the contrast paint?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I too am going to try that, it's captured the detail really well in the face.

I can't remember how I used to paint flesh but this time is has been the flesh base coat with the flesh wash, with cadian flesh on top of that, with kislev flesh to try and highlight it, and in theory screaming skull on the very tips.

Even if I get this to work, I'm not going to do it for all 100 of my guardsmen who at the moment have some old base colour flesh and black wash all over them for super speed painting.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 4, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I want to see what the sisters kill team is going to be like. Flamers are amazing in kill team, as is cheap power armour, as is their crazy faith poo poo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
New inquisitors and daemonhosts is an interesting one. I wonder if they are options in the sisters codex. The daemonhosts would be a really weird option.

Also I continue to botcot necromunda until the spyrer are back drat it!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

Sure, but if they know it will dust the new guys wouldn't they avoid it? Or is the explanation that they're avoiding mutations, but probably also just want more robots rather than thinking chaos marines?

New guys may not get a choice.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Bob Wins posted:

My Kill Team roster. The "Corrosun Purifiers" my very first painted miniatures, obviously not as great as some of the other things posted here but I wanted to share my progress anyway. The big guys in the back are my Ogryn/Bullgryn proxies made from ambots (thanks to whomever suggested this). They fight hard and die hard and are an absolute blast to play, I had a lot of fun building and painting these dudes. Any suggestions on improving my painting game are greatly appreciated.

Nice, I was actually wondering about the new Scions because I have a bunch of the old kasrkin models with a paint job I really like but wasn't sure whether the new Scions looked good with camo but apparently they do

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Max Wilco posted:

I know I'm going to get to GW early on Saturday to get it.

I think it would make a nice Christmas tree ornament. :allears: (assuming I can give it a nice looking paint job)

Stick him in a clear plastic container in the shape of a hand grenade and turn him into a bauble

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I'm playing a 500 point game over the weekend. Yeah I know it's lame but my friend is new to it all and a 1500 point game totally overwhelmed him.

He enjoyed kill team but he's struggling to remember all the stratagems and how the models work so I suggested we start small.

His list is going to be: Ta'u Etheral, 20 fire warriors, 10 Kroot, 3 stealth suits, and 3 crisis suits.

Mine is going to be: A company commander, a tank commander in a leman russ demolisher, 30 guardsmen, 3 mortars, and a hellhound.

My list felt really cheese so I sent it to him in advance so he can basically tailor his crisis suit weapons

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 8, 2019

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Loving the gold on that dude

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

goose willis posted:

Is there ever a reason why someone would take wyrdvanes?

Not really.

The theory is that they are more reliable than other psykers but in practice they are a bit shite.

For 63 points you have a squad of 9 dude who knows let's say smite and nightshroud.

For 32 points you can have an astropath that knows the same.

If you use nightshroud the wyrdvanes roll 1D6+3 giving you a range of 4-9 and the astropath rolls 2D6 giving you a range of 2 to 12.

You have to roll 6 or more to manifest the power. This means the wyrdvanes need to roll a 3+ (66%) and the astropath needs to roll 6 or more on two dice (72%).

Deny the witch tests are even worse because you need to equal someone's score on 2D6.

The wyrdvanes are technically more survivable (9 wounds vs 3) but their effectiveness drops as they take wounds anyway. Plus they can be shot from anywhere as they are a unit.

For the same price near enough of 9 wyrdvanes you can get two astropaths who can hide in the middle of your army and deny and cast two powers per turn instead of one.

So basically they are shite. I actually like sanction psykers when they were cheap and a bit random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Giant Isopod posted:

Inquisition is getting a white dwarf codex, hot drat, this is going to be an exciting month!

Yes! Finally maybe I can actually use all my inquisition figures knocking about.

I also want an excuse to buy Inquisitor Karamazov. I bought him eons ago when he was metal, managed to build him and I was happy with his paint job.

One day I took him out of the classic GW case, he got caught on the foam, tumbled from my fingers, and I watched him break into like 15 pieces.

I have moved house about 4 times since and his shattered remains are missing along with my blood bowl team, my necromunda spyrer team, and a diarama thing I made with the ringwraith models from WoTR