Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

As a primarily harlequin player, I'm thinking of branching out into some craftworld/dark eldar goodness. Doesnt seem too beneficial to lock in as harlequin keyword only right now.

Any idea where to start? I bought a FW Wraith Knight last month because I thought it would be cool to paint, so may use that as a starting point (even if theyre tons of points). Do you think adding more Wraith stuff would be worth it?

I hear Ravagers are real good for their points now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

"Finished" this thing tonight. Real happy with it. May clean up some of the edge highlighting tomorrow. =\

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Any chance you mind spoiling the SKATHACH WRAITHKNIGHT WITH INFERNO LANCES rules?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I got a pretty itchy trigger finger for some new Forge World toys, but I don't know what to get. In a 2k game, I'm going to probably be running at least 1000 points of harlequins (shadowseer, solitaire, troupes in starweavers). I want to add some beef and some long range guns, but seems like just about every eldar and dark eldar FW toy is capable of doing that.

Any FW suggestions for long range punch to compliment some clowns?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I probably already know the answer to this, but do any goons have extra Dark Eldar Kabalite Warrior Blaster arms and/or Reaver helmets? Every bite store seems to be out of stock and just about every DE player at least wants as many Blasters as they can get.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

theironjef posted:

Okay, so I'm coming back in for some Dark Eldar funtimes. I bought an Archon because I need an HQ that makes any kind of sense. But I'm still waiting for a copy of my codex. What can and should I actually equip him and build him out with?

Agoniser and Blast Pistol seems solid to me.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Finished another clown car today.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Agentdark posted:

How the hell do you get triangles that perfect on Harlequins. I love Harlequins and I have no idea now to paint them.

Xarlaxas posted:

Also this. I have no idea how anyone can paint such beautiful Harlequins.

Thanks doods. A lot of people use vinyl stencils for their diamonds, but those work much better with an airbrush. I don't own one, so my diamonds and gradients are all free hand.

Honestly, you just have to go for it. Do them a few times and they'll look like mine. And mine are no where near as perfect as a stencil.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

First time painting a loyalist space marine in years. So, many, years. Thoughts/criticism?

Shamefully lifted the colours off an internet image with a few little shifts of my own. Won't lie, painting this one 'LERN2PAINT' guy has me fired up to finish my primaris army.

Also have no idea what to name my chapter as of yet.

I like me some clean Marines. If I had to critic one thing it would be, many consider another lens color? A yellow, orange, or red could make the eyes pop a bit more, but overall its looking real good.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

goose willis posted:

Harlequins would make plenty of sense in some sort of small RPG version of 40k but the concept of some goofy-looking space clown army made up of space elves who are DANGEROUSLY NEUTRAL is so loving stupid that I refuse to accept their existence

Rude

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Sykic posted:

I'm honestly not sure I'd want old marines anymore, just because they look so much worse compared to primaris. The intercessors anyway, the gravis stuff looks silly. Speaking of things that look bad, I finished a test intercessor.

And here I thought squatting marines was the problem all these years. :v:

Looks dope. Good job.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I bought into alderi when 8th first came out. I grabbed up a bunch of Harlequins, a Tantalus, and some CWE wraith Bros. Before all the codex started coming out it was real easy to play all of them together. Now that codex are out, how do I run them?

I want to run mostly Harlequins using the new codex with CWE and/or DE fire support. So, to do this I need a detachment of Harlequins which only contains models and rules from that codex, then I can run a separate detachment for either CWE or DE? If that's how it works, do the CWE or DE get all the rules and attributes within those codex, or are they limited to whatever aelderi is?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I could use some advice on babbys first genestealer cult list. I only vaguely know what I'm doing and how to structure their squads.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [87 PL, 1245pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magus [4 PL, 73pts]: Power: Might From Beyond

Patriarch [7 PL, 150pts]: Power: Mass Hypnosis, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Legendary Fighter

Primus [4 PL, 76pts]: Bonesword

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids [10 PL, 123pts]
. 4x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Cutter
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Cutter
. Acolyte Leader: Autopistol, Cultist Knife

Neophyte Hybrids [10 PL, 65pts]
. 8x Neophyte Hybrid
. Neophyte Hybrid (Special Weapon): Grenade Launcher
. Neophyte Leader: Autogun, Autopistol

Neophyte Hybrids [10 PL, 65pts]
. 8x Neophyte Hybrid

+ Elites +

Aberrants [14 PL, 165pts]
. Aberrant: Power Hammer

Purestrain Genestealers [12 PL, 225pts]: 15x Purestrain Genestealer

+ Heavy Support +

Cult Leman Russ [11 PL, 190pts]: 2x Heavy Bolter, Battle Cannon, Lascannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Cult Chimera [5 PL, 113pts]: Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer

++ Total: [87 PL, 1245pts] ++

Not sure how to set up my ambushes. I want the Magus, Patriarch, and genestealer to be pretty close together. Primus will drop with the Aberrants. Everything else deploys normally with the Acolytes taking the Chimera.

Am I doing it kind of right?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Your Acolyte Hybrids generally want larger squads because otherwise you're Cult Ambushing to give up First Blood if you charge with more than one of them at a time. Also, the Heavy Rock Saw is pretty much the best pick for them, since it doesn't have -1 to hit and is cheaper than the Cutter. The only other deal is that Aberrants aren't going to swing for any targets against which the Primus himself would be effective--I found a mite more success throwing him in with Acolytes and using the Strategem on the Aberrants to get them where they're going.

I was thinking to put the Acolytes in the Chimera, but some more bodies couldn't hurt. Good to know on the saw/cutter. Must have gotten the names mixed up. And I was putting the Primus with the Aberrants to counter balance the Hammers - 1 to hit.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Honestly making the Primus boost the Aberrants is leaning in hard to ensure they fuckin stomp whatever you throw them at--only 2A apiece, so it's not a bad idea at all, especially given how many times they've failed to do it for me. Acolytes don't tend to do whatever it is most troops do so much as mulch targets, be they vehicles or elite troops, so I never felt the inside of a Chimera was for them.

Gotcha. You think I should swap out the Chimera for a Rock Grinder, or bump up the numbers in the Acolytes?

I'm leaning towards Rock Grinder just for more model diversity.

This is the list with the Rock Grinder.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids - Genestealer Cults) [82 PL, 1246pts] ++

+ HQ +

Magus [4 PL, 73pts]: Power: Might From Beyond

Patriarch [7 PL, 150pts]: Power: Mass Hypnosis, Warlord, Warlord Trait: Legendary Fighter

Primus [4 PL, 76pts]: Bonesword

+ Troops +

Acolyte Hybrids [10 PL, 105pts]
. 4x Acolyte Hybrid
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
. Acolyte Hybrid (Heavy Weapon): Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw
. Acolyte Leader: Autopistol, Cultist Knife

Neophyte Hybrids [5 PL, 60pts]
. 7x Neophyte Hybrid

Neophyte Hybrids [5 PL, 60pts]
. 7x Neophyte Hybrid

+ Elites +

Aberrants [14 PL, 165pts]

Purestrain Genestealers [16 PL, 240pts]: 16x Purestrain Genestealer

+ Heavy Support +

Cult Leman Russ [11 PL, 190pts]: 2x Heavy Bolter, Battle Cannon, Lascannon

Goliath Rockgrinder [6 PL, 127pts]: Heavy Mining Laser, Heavy Stubber

++ Total: [82 PL, 1246pts] ++

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Need some opinions on babbys first Tau list before I start buying stuff.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [53 PL, 996pts] ++

+ HQ +

Aun'Shi [3 PL, 60pts]

Cadre Fireblade [3 PL, 52pts]: 2. Through Unity, Devastation, Markerlight, MV7 Marker Drone, Warlord

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit [8 PL, 162pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, Vectored manoeuvring thrusters

+ Troops +

Strike Team [3 PL, 58pts]: 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [3 PL, 56pts]: MV36 Guardian Drone, MV7 Marker Drone

Strike Team [2 PL, 38pts]

+ Elites +

XV104 Riptide Battlesuit [14 PL, 280pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy burst cannon, Target lock

+ Fast Attack +

Tactical Drones [2 PL, 40pts]: 4x MV7 Marker Drone

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [15 PL, 250pts]: 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Broadside Shas'ui: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system
. Broadside Shas'vre: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system

++ Total: [53 PL, 996pts] ++

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

The first round of drybrush and wash is like the weathering shadows and the drybrush post washes is imitating weathering highlights. I think edge highlighting defeats the point because the tutorial is probably geared towards painters not confident enough in edge highlighting or think it takes too long.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Sorry if this gets asked a bunch, but what are the "elite" low model count / high point cost army prospects for non-imperium forces? I'm not really digging primaris, custodes, GK, and the bunch. The only thing my 5th edition brain can think of is chaos knights? What else, tho?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions on the last page. I'm not interested in being super competitive, but all the wraiths look dope and I actually own a wraithseer already so, how does this look?

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [47 PL, 710pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: None (Mixed Detachment)

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 115pts]: 0. Smite, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear

Warlock [2 PL, 45pts]: 0. Smite, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

Warlock [2 PL, 45pts]: 0. Smite, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

+ Elites +

Wraithblades [10 PL, 175pts]: Ghostaxe and Forceshield, 5x Wraithblade

+ Lord of War +

Wraithknight [27 PL, 330pts]: Titanic Ghostglaive and Scattershield

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [53 PL, 782pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: *Custom Craftworld*

+ HQ +

Wraithseer [9 PL, 113pts]: Starcannon

+ Elites +

Wraithguard [20 PL, 333pts]: D-scythe, 9x Wraithguard

+ Heavy Support +

Wraithlord [8 PL, 112pts]: Flamer, Flamer, 2x Shuriken Cannon

++ Total: [100 PL, 1,492pts] ++

I'd like to pair it down to 1000 points to start learning again, so I'm assuming the knight would have to go and then restructure my detachments. I'm currently thinking of using the reroll 1s to wound custom craftworld.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Strobe posted:

You can use both that and Wrath of the Dead to reroll loooots of wounds on Wraiths, which looks like most of your list one way or another.

You mean use Expert Crafters on the detachment with the lords and Wrath of the Dead on the wraithguard detachment, or you can have both rules on a single detachment?

Also, if I use Expert Crafters with the lords, would it be better to splurge for brightlances since the reroll will mean a lot more than rerolling a shuriken cannon?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Strobe posted:

You get to pick two, unless you pick the Fight and Fade trait.

I used Webway Warriors and Wrath of the Dead for cheaper deepstrike on multiple Wraith units (3 CP for three uses of Webway Strike instead of 3 CP for one use targeting two units).

That's crazy. How do the wraith units fare foot slogging?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

The custom Craftworlds Attribute, Wrath of the Dead, states When resolving an attack made by a WRAITH CONSTRUCT with this attribute, reroll a wound roll of 1.

I've had it explained to me from the internet because it says "a wound", it's referring to a single dice, but I've seen 2 or 3 batreps that interpret it to be all wound rolls of a 1. I'm in the thinking its referring to all wound rolls of 1, but wanted to double check the consensus here.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Am I the only one cynical enough to think the people who got offended by GWs message that say they're going to quit and never support GW again are lying out their rear end. No chance in hell those people are actually going to stop playing.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I occasionally lurk this thread and would like a discord invite too, just in case I get lured back into the hams at some point.

I'm the same. Would like a PM incase SA implodes.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Jumping on the dope rear end robot bandwagon.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

xtothez posted:

My favourite part of this is that the timing totally fucks over all the scalpers listing at 200% markup

It probably doesn't though because if you get a made to order one you could be waiting 120 days for it to even ship. People that want their plastic dollies now are still gonna pay.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Most of the point increases are really just to give them buffer room to make changes later. From what I remember, correct me if I'm wrong, GW doesn't really adjust models rules once a codex drops, but with Chapter Approved making bad models cheaper is all they're willing to do. So if everything starts high they can figure out which models suck and sell you a book that makes them still suck, but less points.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I posted this in the painting and modeling thread, is it okay to ask the same question here? this thread seems to get a lot more traffic

If you wanted to stay in neutral blacks and Grey's you could try basing administratum** grey, the black Templar contrast then highlight back up using dawnstone or celestain grey then ulthuan grey. Sorry for spelling, 40k name are hard.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

John Romero posted:

the last time i made an earnest attempt at playing warhams (maybe like 8 years ago, it was at least before i met my wife and 2 kids ago), the constant chatter in this thread was that games workshop is dying, did they die yet/are they still dying?

i just picked up that humble bundle and the hunger is coming back, thinking about going to my parents house to grab my old models......especially since i have a spacious basement now

No, they changed some management and it's the opposite now. Train still Choo choo'in

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

The game isn't any more expensive than warmachine and just play what you want. Doesn't sound like you're financially interested in chancing the meta.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you using the same texture paint the video did? His was way more crackly than yours. That may be throwing off the look.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I finished a new thing.

Where does everyone host their images? Imgur's new layout is terrible and I can't seem to find the thumbnail previews.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Somberbrero posted:

Can you tell me what your process was? I've been thinking about white Necrons and that's pretty cool.

For the whites I built it up using Celestial Grey and Ulthuan Grey. For the chips, I used a darkish brown and sponged it on using a piece of pluck foam then did Apothecary White all over then highlighted some edges with white.

Kitchner posted:

Did you paint the blade by hand or with and airbrush? If it's by hand what technique did you use?

For the blade, I based white then used Warp Lighting pushing it in opposite directions on the blade. Applied 3 or 4 layers until it couldn't get any more green then a bit of nuln oil at the very end to darken. The other end is a couple layers of yellow ink blended into the green and finished with ivory edge highlights.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I don't know what Alokgen is referring to about thumbnails, so yea I just go to imgur.com/upload and drop my file.

Right click, copy image location, paste it into a Post here and it automatically gets converted into an img tag which I then just change to be timg for the thumbnails here.

A couple years back, the layout was different. Instead of today's "Gallery" you used to have "Images" that would just lump everything you uploaded into one place. If you clicked on an image it would give you different urls for resizing of the images. So if I uploaded something 4000x3000 and wanted to post it here, it would get set to being maybe 1000x700 or something then I could use the [timg] tags in addition to that. Without that option, I'm just using the [timg] tags at full resolution.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Somberbrero posted:

I almost feel embarrassed posting this in comparison to how good your stuff looks, but last night I spent a couple hours working on the blade effect trying to get it right. I don't think I'm there yet but I learned a lot and I can see how to improve at least. Thanks for your advice! The ivory highlights make an amazing difference.

You're on the right track. Darken the ends of the green area (I used a bit of nuln oil) and it'll bump up the contrast.

Also on the bottom blade, you want the gradients to be going in opposite directions.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/29/app-improvements-updates-and-a-month-free

GW has published a minor timeline for app updates. Guess they paid some attention to the critique it was getting.
Current subscribers even get a month free.

Yeah I have a bunch of big magnets that have been doing that for a while. Dropped most of them in an unused plastic bottle to make sure I don't get flakes everywhere. Not that it stops them from being ludicrously strong still.

At least now they're somewhat transparent about how long the app is going to be useless.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

TKIY posted:

Goons, tracking terrain rules in 9th sucks so I made some things.

These are cool and good, but disappointed the terrain rules are so complex they're required.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Finished the Overlord this evening. *beep boop*

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

^burtle posted:

I have a Painboy I want to try and sub assemble but I’m trying to pre-imagine the easiest way to prime it all in one go. I know sticky tack gets plenty of use for repairs and covering for painting but has anyone used it in this situation? Am I risking pulling primer off when I go to de-assemble?

When I do sub assemblies, I use blue tac to keep my sub groups stuck to the spray surface so they don't fly away and over the connection points so I don't have to glue two pieces together covered in primer. You shouldn't run into any issues when removing the tac. Just leave it on till the primer completely dries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

I finished another Indomitus Necron.