Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Princess Principal is going to be an anime-original high school Cold War spy thriller set in a parallel-universe occupied Britain and written by Ichiro Okouchi, the guy who did Valvrave, Guilty Crown, and Kabaneri.

Strap in, kids, we're in for a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

No mention of Code motherfucking Geass?

Wasn't he only a co-writer on that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

if anything, the show has a generally good director working on it so i think it'll be an interesting watch

the worst thing he's done that i've seen is the trails in the sky ova and uh, that probably has to do with being an attempt at condensing 2/3rds of the plot of a 60 hour long jrpg sequel into two hours

He's going to have to work overtime if he wants it to have a coherent plot, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

based on what, two shows in one dude's entire work history? give this poo poo a rest when the show hasn't even aired

While a number of his adaptive screenplays he's done have been good, four out of five of his original TV series have been really messy. Seeing as the fifth was Overman King Gainer, and Tomino is a very... uhh... dominant personality in his works, that suggests that he probably can't take much credit there. Also, it was fifteen years ago, and he hasn't written an especially good series-length screenplay since - his best was Code Geass, which even its defenders tend to describe as a fun mess.

Odds aren't on him being a net benefit to this show, unless you're in it for absurd action and even more absurd twists and not much else.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

I meant that less about the formal quality of the writing and more about the questionable nature of the subject matter itself, which tends to be reflected in the goals of such productions. Thus...I would be very surprised if it's even half as good as something like Godannar, but I am not in a hurry to find that out.

I don't have any strong feelings towards said "least favorite" trope, either way, but I can see how that might bother some people. That said, not so much with the first one you mentioned. As seen elsewhere in anime, the plan's just another variation of NGE's instrumentality, except with different symbols and terminology, by another dude who can't get over the past and is a total jerk regardless of his intentions (hello there, Gendo Ikari). Not a huge fan of the whole concept though, but thankfully the show doesn't end on that note.

That's the problem, though - NGE was built around that, with Instrumentality serving as the natural climax to its thematic and emotional arc, while Geass R2 just went 'oh hey we doing Evangelion now' for a few episodes, and had to significantly alter a couple of characters' prior characterisationn to do it.

Also, the China arc felt kind of superfluous, and never got meaningfully explored or followed up on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

What, does this mean there's a Junji Ito anthology series coming?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

Yes actually it was announced a couple days ago

Huh, interesting. You see anthology shows crop up now and again, but it doesn't exactly seem common.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The one thing that surprises me about Battle Girl High School is that it's apparently the first show to use that title.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now I'm wondering if there was another, unrelated show called Knights and Magic before this season's Knight's and Magic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

A friend texted me after watching Kakegurui's 1st Episode.

"Did the black-haired one seriously just have an O-face over gambling"

Also the intended audience reaction!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Moltrey posted:

you don't understand FLCL was a philosophical and conceptual show, the imagery and metaphor were completely inscrutable, it was not at all about a sad boy who just wants to cum

To be fair, it got deeply philosophical about his need to cum. Also possibly have a normal, healthy relationship with a girl, maybe.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

If it's the same team who did Part Four, I'm sold. That was a very solid show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you do those reverse image searches, anyway?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ballroom felt like very, very by-the-book shonen with unusually high production quality. Seriously, I felt like I'd seen every single beat dozens of times before.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

im getting mixed signals here

made in abyss owns btw

What's your Warren Ellis tolerance? Because that will greatly affect how much you enjoy Castlevania.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Warren Ellis might seem like an insufferable edgelord (and perhaps he is), but at least he seems to derive some sort of fun when writing things. Also, Nextwave and Transmetropolitan are some of my favorite comic books, so whenever possible, I try to give his works a chance.

Also, because I love this dumb quote:

Then that's cool, and you will find Castlevania a fun fantasy adventure. I meant that post sincerely. For the record, the American audio is probably the best, though the Japanese Dracula is pretty rad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing that annoyed me a surprising amount with Princess Principal was the mismatch between the content and the colour palette. Like, this is a high enough concept show that it might as well be writing storyboards of samurai mecha fighting psychic clones of Barack Obama and dropping them from the peak of Everest. It's this goofy as gently caress twisty yarn about anti-gravity schoolgirls in Gothic Lolita ninja outfits fighting the Cold War in steampunk London by suplexing cars and chopping up the not-Stasi with katanas, and yet they went for this subdued, realistic palette with lots of earth tones that just sucks so much of the ridiculous spectacle out of it all. At least Code Geass and Valvrave understood that an eye-hurtingly garish story should have eye-hurtingly garish visuals. I kind of felt the same way about the Metal Gear Solid franchise, actually, especially the sillier bits like Revengeance. This should be fun, and often is fun, but you're not making it look like fun.

Kakegurui understands this, bringing in vivid, demonic primary colours whenever poo poo gets crazy, and for this and many other reasons it remains the coolest trash show of the season (with Symphogear likely mounting strong competition, admittedly).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nielsm posted:

Also the part about "no you can't ride me, illegal even if I say okay."

And the stage collapsing because they were reluctant to acknowledge Hime's physical differences. That said, I sort of feel like all of this is supposed to be presented in a somewhat neutral manner, dropping us into ordinary life in an alien world with extremely different social pressures. This is life in a world where humanity is incredibly physically divergent - it has its good bits, and it has its bad bits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

This is exactly the case, and also why I don't understand people trying to attribute political motivations to the author. Different people could interpret it seventeen different ways and they might all be wrong, because that world is so different than ours than any attempt at analogy falls apart pretty fast.

Though there were some real-world-applicable political statements, like that dig about racism in a world where people are only separated by skin colour.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's by the writer of Ro-Kyu-Bu, which was notorious for being the exact same thing but with basketball rather than music, so much like with Eromanga-sensei, y'all had warning.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

wwwwwwwwhy are these people giving the pedobait show even 1.5 stars

Exact same reason as for Eromanga-sensei, apparently - high production values and a compelling, non-pedo first half to the episode before it took a hard right turn into horrible. In other words, it's one of those shows that's good at everything other than its basic, fundamental premise, which is hideous.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

:same:

I'm amazed they managed to give Castlevania characters actual personalities.

Most of it actually seems to be direct from the games. Except for Trevor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having watched one episode of Kakegurui, it seems like a show really hampered by being (yet another) anime set in a highschool. It's premise is just dumb and would have been much better suited by being set in the world of professional gamblers or a fight club style thing of ordinary salary people.

We already had that. It's called Kaiji. The whole point of Kakegurui is to take that kind of story, turn up the camp to maximum, and make all the characters sexily terrifying schoolgirls. Like, that is its biggest selling point as a show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Well, I hope they keep that kind of visual flair up, because it's exactly what a Persona 5 anime needs. I found the P4 show really boring to look at, so a step up this time around would be a really welcome surprise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It seems like it might disrupt the release schedule for that season, though. Olympics tend to hog a lot of air time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Why would they take more air time than when they're outside of Japan? It's still the same things to cover.

Specials, documentaries, and additional flavour commentary? I generally find that sports events within a country get more air time, because holy crap we're hosting the Olympics. London was certainly a bigger media presence for us than Beijing, for instance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jng2058 posted:

So is it just me, or is "I'm in Another World with a Smartphone" pretty drat boring? Protag-boy just accomplishes everything without strain and everyone adores him. Someone get this kid a viable antagonist or something! :rolleyes:

An isekai with a product-placement gimmick as its main selling point is boring? Gosh, who'da thunk?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Is the Yuasa directing Devilman Crybaby the same one who directed Ping Pong & the weird-even-by-adventure-time-standards episode of Adventure Time? Because I'll watch that guy do this thing p. much regardless of the content.

That's him, yeah.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What's that image folks are getting hyped over?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Wanna pet that big dog

Seriously, the gently caress are they feeding that Samoyed?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've been enjoying Isekai Restaurant a lot. I hope Delicious in Dungeon gets an anime and "fantasy cooking" becomes the new inexplicable popular anime micro-genre

Made in Abyss is already helping things along.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

so what are the good action and/or comedy animes airing this season? i'm watching my hero academia and kakegurui, and that's it.

Symphogear, Fate/Apoc, and Made In Abyss have solid action (though the last one's more about adventure and exploration). For comedy, Tsurezure Children is sweet and funny as hell, and Guruguru gets good buzz.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Penguindrum was surprisingly straightZON SENRYAKUUUUUUUUUUU.

Well, there's Yuri and her ex-girlfriend, who also double up as the ubiquitous Takarazuka Revue represenatatives.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cosmo321 posted:

Red-haired girl in Tsurezure Children is my favorite character this season.

Brown-haired girl trying to grapple with terminal irony poisoning is also v. good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think what's unsettling about it is that we generally expect fiction to have some sort of message on some level. Like, this is poo poo that someone has made up that they're telling to us, so we generally expect to have a grasp of why they're telling us this, what value they think it could add to our lives, whether it be as simple as 'explosions are cool' or as complex as 'this is how graphical user interfaces work, and this is why they are a manifestation of neo-Zoroastrianism and we should smash them all with hammers to prevent Ahriman from eating our souls'. Centaur's Worries is just hurling stuff at us without bothering to clarify its purpose, so people are as thrown as they might be if a homeless dude came up to us on the street and started word-salading at us about the mating cycles of ostriches.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i too get extremely uncomfortable when a piece of fiction doesn't blatantly signpost its morals and themes, and expects me to decide how to feel about them for myself. i get all itchy on my skin.

You mean you've never watched a show where you felt that details were unnecessary, or spoiled the message or atmosphere, or where your enjoyment of a scene was spoiled because you legit could not tell what they were trying to do with it (like a scene of nonsensical dialogue, or an indecipherable action sequence? When people say that a work has 'tone problems', what do you think they mean by that? What makes inconsistent tone bad?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

What's the reason?

Because people tend to die in war, and rendering a heinously expensive weapon inoperable because the dude with the password got his head blown off is seldom useful. Plus, the more layers of authentication you have, the slower and more difficult a weapon is to activate, which is a real problem if the enemy are charging at you with unfriendly intent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Compendium posted:

If they can get a decent soundtrack and none of that public domain music poo poo they got going on in the trailer, then MAYBE...

And in-between frames. And functional choreography. Those would be nice.

Last time I saw a show with movement that stiff was RWBY, and at least the full-CG meant that had some measure of flow rather than a constant, hideous jerky shudder. Seriously, that poo poo was like staring into a strobe-light. It hurt my eyes.

Apparently that show has a pretty prestigious staff behind it. Wonder what went wrong?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Theowulv posted:

Turns out Vanishing Line was actually the new season of Garooo! Already looks way better than Crimson Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Bqexemyfg

Wonder which one's GARO? None of them exactly look like your typical protagonist. Big muscly dude and sniper guy seem like secondary Makai Knights, and innocent teenage girl or sexy lady in underwear would be... quite the departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

Unless they walked that back at some point women can't be Makai Knights so

Well, exactly.

• Locked thread