Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
After reading this thread I had really lowered my expectations for the necro but after levelling to 25 tonight I'm having a ball. Not bothering with skele mages but the regular skeletons keeping themselves summoned and being able to order them into mobs is great. The golems also look fantastic and of course, CE feels fantastic.

Really looking forward to playing more over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

So Trag'oul's is the new best Necro set, already starting to dominate the leaderboards for solo GR pushes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72LEHAhD3H4

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I feel like doing some speedfarming this weekend.

What is the best/fastest/laziest class/build combo for such a thing right now?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

good day for a bris posted:

Someone got a chicken build they can link?

Seconding this. Been after good (up to date) speedfarm builds since this weekend.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

How's the necromancer now?

All sets viable? Most OP set?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's weird! Most people like to get their damage as high as possible to more easily clear difficult content.

Reminds me of that one guy who refused to use Followers because he didn't like their character models and NPC chatter.

Or people who refuse to use Green Sets because "they're gimmicky"

I am of the controversial opinion that people should play games in the way that brings them the most enjoyment.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Has the droprate of The Compass Rose been nerfed over the past few seasons?

I haven't played in a while but I remember them dropping so constantly I found it annoying and now it's the only thing left for my build and it just won't drop. Tried gambling thousands of bloodsharts on rings with no happiness either.

Seems like the rate has been nerfed but I could be wrong if the RNG happens to hate my guts.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

The best typo.

Wasn't a typo, I actually edited that in while making corrections ;)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

What is the laziest speedfarm class/build this season?

I want to lean back and play with like two buttons.

I came up with a Trag'Ouls build that just teleports and death novas everything and can do T10 pretty well but I'm guessing there's equally lazy speedfarm builds that can push higher.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Also losing hours of “progress” in an endless game that you could play for literally infinity doesn’t really mean anything.

It does if you don't have infinite free time and dislike starting games from scratch every time you make a mistake.

I hate to be the one to state the obvious (not really), but there it is.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ancients can be "Augmented" too, which is an endgame ability where you sacrifice a legendary gem to permanently add some dex/str/int to a piece of gear.

gently caress.

I didn't know this.

gently caress.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Anyone got any tips?

https://us.diablo3.com/en/profile/MrScumbag-6132/hero/98508841

Running a lazystorm/auramancer. The idea is to blitz through maps cursing as many mobs as possible and letting passives/legendary gem DOTs kill them. It the perfect build for me to watch terrible TV shows while farming.

It's very effective but I've hit a bit of a wall at GR65 (I'm going to attempt GR70 to unlock uber legendaries and feel like I can probably do it). I can finish the rifts fairly quickly, but I have to be kinda careful and alert. As it's a lazy storm build I wanna keep it breezy going into higher rifts.

Besides obviously trying for ancient versions of gear (I'm having abysmal luck with that) is there anything that stands out?

I'm thinking of swapping out BK ring for a RORG and swapping my chest for Aqula for extra defense, but I'm open to any suggestions.

I'll just point out that at lower GR levels I swap out final service for the extra essence passive.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

5,000 paragon.

do u have a job

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Fairly certain it gets replaced.

If it didn't there'd be God Weapons with more statpiles than the rest of peoples' gear combined, barring a huge diminishing returns mechanic for repeated augments.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Goldwrap is a novelty at best.

At worst it's: "I'm invinc--I'm dead"

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

get to eating rear end Pronto

This is pretty much my philosophy in real life and is largely responsible for the success I've enjoyed in my career as well as relationships.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Hellburger99 posted:

Oh, and I was in the beta so I got a special tabard emblem for that and some guy gave me a bunch of poo poo for it in chat because it was unfair pay to win something something.

Ah, I remember this. They announced a feat of strength for closed beta players before the game was released and people lost their minds. I'm pretty sure you can still find the threads on Bnet. It was loving incredible. It's not too dissimilar to the current outrage. A lot of "SLAP IN THE FACE" etc.

There was a Hitler video released and I still come back to it from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRXUNqAqWU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Hauki posted:

none of that is hyperbole

Waiting for someone to post actual evidence due to actual documented Goon hyperbole.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

Go find it yourself. It was a literal live interview iirc

So where's the bit about Jay Wilson throwing a tantrum?

I know he's a lousy dev, but there's nothing here that validates his alleged hissy fit.

Edit:

Bardeh posted:

I clearly remember the flying insects in Act 2 Inferno were just completely impossible on my Barbarian. I could either reroll, or carry on running Act 1 for more all resist gear. I just uninstalled the game because it was ridiculous.

Oh, I know the game was bullshit garbage at launch and I ran into similar issues with my Barb main when it came out (hence the Jay Wilson comment above) I was mostly wondering about him going apeshit over it not being hard enough cause I like to see trainwrecks.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 5, 2018

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I never understood people who said the the Necro pack was too expensive.

You'll generally play a class for at least 50 hours, I'd say if not 100's to 1000's of hours depending on how much you enjoy it/the game in general.

I don't understand how $15 (or was it $20?) is not worth that amount of extra enjoyment out of the game.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I just did 4 TII rifts and managed to gamble three pieces of Akkhan's using the bloodshards. Went to stash them and see what other pieces I needed.

I thought my luck couldn't possibly stay so good until I went back and tried for the boots and got them first try.

I already had one piece that dropped before this.

Of course, the one piece I need now is the neck. I'm sure that will end up taking forever.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

That guy with the friend who doesn't use skill points reminds me of the old shitshow of starting a new game with my buddies in D2. Not as bad, but we'd run out with new characters and my buddies would head back to town after hitting level 3 or 4 and spend ages optimizing their gear and skills rather than just staying out and killing things.

I can understand that not waiting for other players can be lovely, but optimizing gear that early in D2 is a complete and utter waste of time.

I should mention that they are all the competitive type, and they were absolutely doing it so that they could always be the hardest hitter at any given time.

It backfired when other players just kept playing and outleveled them while also finding better gear.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He did it in Diablo III though, too--which was hilarious to me. I tried to explain that spending money at the vendors was a waste of time and he ignored me.

Fellow team Gatto and Team Kassandra member here, you got good taste, bud.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

5er posted:

Whiner baby assed gamers don't want to hear anything that doesn't support their internal narrative biases.

Entitlement. The word you're looking for is "Entitlement".

Especially on Reddit.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

5er posted:

You're not wrong but I avoid using words these days that have become cliche'd buzz to the extent that they have lost impact, become diluted. See also, 'toxic', 'privilege'.

Some words, sure, but I find that the more you use "entitlement" among gamers, the more their hysterical rebuttals prove that the word is 100% apt. There is literally no hill they are not willing to die on. Half the hobby has become searching for them.

Thanks for the link, by the way. I love Blizz forum meltdowns.

PS: There's no doubt that so many of these people have responded to other users' issues with "Git gud" before, which makes complaining about being out a few mil that much more hilarious.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Might as well create a new selectable difficulty scale that unlocks after completing GR70: Hell difficulties. Have them scale steeper so you don't need 13 of them and make the Drop/XP/Gold% scale slightly higher than the Torment difficulties to incentivize them over rifts and make bounties more enticing besides the mats.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Bit of an odd question here, but does using a Gem of Ease in Kanai's cube to change the level requirement of an item to level 1 affect the item in any other way, such as restricting what else can be done with it in terms of augments, enchanting, socketing, etc?

I suspect not, just curious since if it doesn't, I'll use on on all of my primal gear, because why not.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I suspect that I will get about halfway through nightmare difficulty before I get bored and shelve it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The ethereal items look like rear end, anyway. The only reason you'd want the transmogs is if you're one of the "I want things other people don't have, even though I won't use them" people. Which admittedly seems to be a fairly rapidly growing number of gamers.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

a joystick does NOT have the same functionality as a mouse when using Leap or Falling Sword or Teleport to cheese logistics/combat.

And it's hosed up to be excluded from being able to cheese the (needlessly restrictive!) achievement conditions because I, personally, don't have 400 hours a week to dedicate to playing this game. Hell, last season I topped out at starting T16 rifts and have never gone beyond GR72, let alone all these crazy numbers purported casuals are achieving seemingly effortlessly.

Obviously joysticks won't be as functional as a precision pointing device like a mouse. You knew that when you bought it. I did, too. Obviously a game primarily designed for PC isn't going to be as optimal on a portable device. I'm not sure what the complaint there is.

I play it on Switch sometimes, but I always come back to PC for the best experience.

As for not being able to cheese an achievement for (lovely looking) transmogs... You're making way too big a deal about it. Your life probably won't be significantly diminished by the lack of getting an achievement in a nine year old game.

I'm getting flashbacks to the people who lost it when it was revealed that closed beta testers would get the "One of the chosen" feat of strength before the game was released. That was wild.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

achievements are a disease

Legitimately one of the worst things to happen to games. Turned a hell of a lot of people who play for enjoyment into "completionists" who play past burnout for arbitrary validation or to increase a number to compete with strangers. They are completely unnecessary but rope so many people in. For all of the poo poo companies get for their manipulative tactics with microtransactions, it's always seemed weird to me that achievements didn't get the same critical treatment.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I have less than 1000 paragon even in offline after all my season consolidation and I feel like I've gotten a hell of a lot out of D3, and I've been playing since day 1 and don't feel like I've really missed out on anything.

This season will probably make me tap out faster that any other, though. I've gotten the worst luck I think I've ever had in this game.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I agree with you in principle, but there’s two main things that keep cheevos from getting the ire they probably deserve:
1. They don’t cost anything but time, so they’ll never be as egregious as loot boxes or similar poo poo.
2. They allow companies to take stock of how players engage with the content and allow them to tune games or make changes to future titles without having to send a million player surveys.

That said, I think achievements and chasing achievements is dumb and whenever someone mentions plat’ing a game I roll my eyes so loving hard.

I kind of agree, but the second point is a bit redundant since developers can still build-in their own mechanisms to report on those stats without surfacing them as achievements, and surely do, if you read articles on player engagement and their Privacy Statements. I think achievements were probably originally designed as a fun thing to add on top of the game itself, but once developers and publishers realized how engaged people became with them, they were leveraged as a way of boosting engagement and FOMO and now they have become a fairly critical part of game design.

I'm also pretty sure that Steam achievements are (or at least at some time were) easily unlocked using third party software, so that would make the associated data being reported back to devs pretty unreliable (at least on PC) without their own invisible metrics that are undoubtedly being sent. I suppose they can filter some of that out based on times achievements were unlocked, but it seems pretty needless given that they can get that data "invisibly".

Point 1 still bothers me a bit because (in my opinion) it pollutes Steam with negative reviews from people who have played hundreds to thousands of hours of a game because they feel compelled to keep playing past burnout to get all the achievements. That attitude in general feeds a lot into the growing negativity when discussing games online and it gets a bit tiring and frustrating.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 30, 2021

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

It is kind of funny when you think about it.

Ethereal transmogs don't even look very good, and with this new method, they aren't nearly as prestigious and exclusive, either.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

palindrome posted:

Hypothetically I'm not against leaving the permanent skill-buy system intact, but I remember playing a long time ago and only having 2 buttons to cast abilities loving sucks. Aside from all other considerations, that is a clear interface fail. A huge number of people probably had Teleport on their right-click, so that means you only have a left-click to assign a skill to, and that precludes basic attack? Made sense pre-2000 but terrible today. I wonder if the grognard contingent is strong enough to override the "wait this is worse than D3" interface concerns.

I never needed a basic attack as my necros because I never invested a single point into dex.

I'd frequently miss hitting the anvil the first few times to destroy Mephisto's soulstone.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I was thinking I'd eventually grab the remaster on sale at some point, but with all the vile poo poo coming out about Blizzard now, I think I'm good. I can live without it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

If nothing else, I'm kind of glad that so many of the "Diablo III sucks" circlejerkers are going to have to eat poo poo when they realize they've been looking through rose-tinted glasses.

Not that they'll ever actually admit it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Not excusing poor performance, but you'd better roll a fourth HC character, since you're clearly not leaning anything here...

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Bring back Marvel Heroes.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

why are people itt so threatened by folks who prefer D2 to D3? or vice versa? i mean, i like both games.

Speaking personally, I'm not generally threatened by anyone else's opinion, but I do get frustrated over things I see as silly circlejerks - which the hate for D3 frequently crosses into, in my opinion.

People go way too crazy with the criticism, while also ignoring all of the weaknesses (sometimes the same weaknesses) of other games they claim are superior. For example, that D3 has cookie cutter builds and simple itemization, but they are willing to defend D2's arguably more complicated itemization which also can't really be fully appreciated without botting.

It seems obvious to me that it's often less about legitimate critique of D3 (or insert latest iteration of [FRANCHISE] here, since this is a popular circlejerk in general) and more a gamut to gloat about how HARDCORE and OLDSCHOOL they are by always preferring [PREVIOUS OR OLDER INSTALLMENT IN FRANSHISE], as they reminisce about the "old days" when "games were good". (And this is to say nothing of the people who only start up on these overblown criticisms after playing hundreds to thousands of hours of the game, which thankfully you can see in Steam reviews. It's obvious that many of those people thoroughly enjoyed [LATEST INSTALLMENT OF FRANCHISE] and burned out, rather than legitimately though it was a poorly designed game. Not to mention the fact that "Blizzard sucks at making games now" is a super popular stance to take these days, for better or worse. It seems more like trend-following a lot of the time more than making their own minds up. Thankfully nor on SA, but elsewhere online it gets kind of crazy.

If people go in-depth and explain why they think one game is better than the other and use examples and are consistent, it's fine. You so rarely see that, though.

I love D2. I haven't played it since just before D3 came out, though, but I remember it enough that I'm pretty sure that there's a ton about it that will frustrate the hell out of me now. That's one of the reasons I've deliberately not gone back to it, despite kind of wanting to.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Scoss posted:

I don't know how you can switch back and forth and say there's no difference. The old graphics are animated at like 20 fps and the pixels are so chunky on a modern display that I thought I must have not set it to the 800x600 "hi-res" mode, but it was indeed at full quality.

"It looks like my 20 year old nostalgia memories of diablo 2" means they did a great job and that it took a ton of work because the original game looks much worse than you recall.

I don't know that anyone is seriously saying that there's no difference.

Speaking personally, I feel the exact way you describe in the second paragraph: The remaster looks just like I remember the game looking. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the original graphics and how low-res they were.

The remaster is probably the best instance I've ever seen of a developer just NAILING it, when it comes to remaining faithful to the source material to the point that it's just like you remember.

To me, the part that has aged the most/worst is the movement. Only being able to move in 8 directions is really jarring after playing modern games for so long, but there's not much that can be done about that without essentially rewriting (and potentially rebalancing) the game.