Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

bamhand posted:

In regards to respec costs. They keep going up as you get higher level.

Watching those interviews was so weird because they were clearly trying to walk on eggshells. It's like they just went back and forth internally trying to figure out an option that would make sense in a modern game but also somehow appease people who believe perfection was invented in 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jelly posted:

DIII was a bad game at release, but as soon as they ditched the RMAH and got the new game director who understood that games should be fun, they've done nothing but wonderful things with it. I am really hoping DIV is at least just DIII with a mask on.

In kind of diving back into internet discourse on Diablo (and mostly hearing the same bullshit as 2012) I'm always confused how vanilla was the released product. I remember seeing an interview with Wilson describing the removal of stat/skill points and thinking "holy poo poo someone in the industry who understands how these games are played". That part was, and remains, good but the rest... jesus.

As long as I can SSF in D4 like I can in D3, we're good.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

DarkMatt posted:

Having done a long dive into the lore of Diablo, I can conclude that Diablo is a kids show, and "cartoon villains" is exactly what to expect from this series.

e:And yes, I looked at 2 and 3. It's always been a kids show.

Playing D1/D2 when you're an edgy teen and carrying that nostalgia forward is the key, here.

MrMidnight posted:

That seems to be the route for games that needed more time in the oven yes. poo poo the recent Witcher 3 next gen patch apparently wasn't ready either with all the PC issues I'm reading. However it's not impossible to release a game that just needs tiny fixes here and there at release.

If casting Frost Nova causes my character to fart and then blast off to outer space that'll be a bug they fix like any other jank technical issue and I just won't play a sorc with that spell until it's fixed. If casting Frost Nova is worthless because everything is CC immune due to the devs listening to clowns telling them D3 is "too easy", then that's a design problem and it will probably be present throughout the game. The technical issues get ironed out fairly quickly but you have to wait for people to leave before you get to change core design values.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

tbh it's been kinda funny seeing some of the effort to rehabilitate jay wilson after cheng became the willing face of diablo immortal

The game he released was, overall, rear end. His recent "we always had all these things planned so why couldn't people withhold judgment for many years?!?" schtick also doesn't look good. Saying that you were also unhappy with the state the game released in doesn't mean anything when you were responsible for the design. Removing illusory choice was a good call, and there were several other good calls, but those don't mean much in a game you effectively finish in two days because further play requires dual wielding credit cards.

I did find it funny, years later, when the much-maligned console release wound up being the blueprint for what saved it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

im definitely trying for the cosmic wings, dozens of grifts and 6 or so ancient puzzles later and Ive gotten 4 pets but no wings. its early though

I did speedruns on 85 since level didn't seem to matter and pulled two pets out of 60-something rifts. I guess at least they drop bounty mats, so there's that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Bobfromsales posted:

I just don't understand why D4 looks like they turned saturation to 0%. It's so bland.

See any conversation about D3 since its initial reveal to find out why they made that change.

Granted, the press-provided footage they've given out that has been repeated in every single video is poo poo... but that's exactly the kind of situation someone competent in marketing would be looking to fix. D3 took those criticisms on the chin because there seemed to be some actual direction (whether or not it wound up all being good is another story) behind the scenes. At least according to the washington post article the direction on D4 has flipflopped around so much that they'll be crunching just to release the story mode that no one cares about.

The fact that, despite the above, it will release with a fully functional microtransaction shop and optional pay battle pass makes it feel scummy on top of that. I really want the game to be good but bliz seems to be actively trying to fight any enthusiasm.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Khorne posted:

It just seems weird they'd try to do a bunch of stuff people realized was a bad idea 10+ years ago instead of iterating on the core concepts of one of their two all-time great ARPGs.

The internet has spent over a decade telling them that D3 killed the franchise. Literally every single part of it, including its current state, is a massive failure and should have just been Diablo 2 2.

quote:

Self-finding anything involving high runes or ultra rare items in d2 is a bad idea. Sometimes an item or two comes to you, but for the most part you need to trade to get stuff like that.

Number one reason why I will never play anything balanced around that again. I don't like turning games into a business in 2000 and with shrinking game time I've only grown to hate it more. I think at one point in the past I cheated up an endgame D2 character, said "huh, well that's a thing" and dropped it. No way in hell I'd grind however many thousands of hours it'd take to SSF up to the point where I could do that legit. Played through story three times (one more than D3, at least), listened to silly grimdark story, watched cutscenes, done.

Meanwhile, in this season of D3 alone (and I got in late) I've played a single class, gone through four different builds (not counting alternative farming configs) to finally arrive at the thing I'll be pushing with. Maybe I'll make it to 120, maybe I won't, but it'd been great and at no point did the next tier feel impossible to reach. I also didn't have to haggle, track a market, use some website to buy/sell, or even talk to a single other person to do it. I'll jump back in on day one for season 28.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Dameius posted:

They were right about that part, it'd just take longer than launch to do it.

Activision is such a shithole outfit that being bought by Microsoft would have probably been an improvement. That being said, as a general rule, all the people who did the things you liked from the past are gone.

xZAOx posted:

I was (and am) burnt out on the typical Blizzard art style though.

It doesn't affect me as much in D3 due to my mind being too occupied with forward movement and timing instead of the art style. Outside of that, though, I would also be happy if that sort of weirdly exaggerated cartoon look died. If everyone wants an edgelord graphic design... fine. Make D4 look like Cult of the Lamb and I'd be cool with that. Cel-shaded, pixel art, hyper realistic... don't care. As long as it's fun the art will quickly blur into the background and only bigger number will remain.

I did get a laugh at the character creator, though, knowing someone will spend hours getting their look just right only to immediately slap on armor and look the same as everyone else.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Deciding that 130 (and surpassing my non-seasonal paragon) is where I'll rest, I rolled up a wizard to have fun with meteors. Then I rolled a barb because whirlwind looks fun. I have no idea why they decided on this massively long season but I'm going to run out of stuff to play with before the next one happens. :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Over 200 gifts in and I've found five pets with no wings. I don't think I've seen the extra drop since day two of the event.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

I think the last time I did gr90s with something like that I was averaging ~1:20 per run including town time.

:drat: that smokes my time. Might try putting my shenglong set on for more damage and cubing ingeom. I felt like I was flying through them but I'm closer to like the 1:50-2:00 range on average. Also my rift luck sucks.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

IG/echoing fury equipped and messerschmitt cubed will move through a rift much faster than shenlong/IG cubed as long as you're one-shotting with it. The fastest long-run result I've had on the shen setup was about 1:48 per run including town, but that was also a much higher GR than the fastest IG/EF clear.

Yeah it's the oneshotting that's the issue at 90 and I should probably just drop it to 70 or whatever where I can run over everything to get more gifts. I finally broke a week-long (or however long it has been) streak last night with a Sword of Mediocrity drop. I was beginning to think I was bugged or something.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Dear Game Industry,

I broke the right trigger on a DS4 playing so much Hades please do not make a Diablo version of Hades.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RodShaft posted:

I repair and miss electronics and I've never seen a controller more shoddily thrown together than the DS4. The later versions were slightly better, but not much. It's amazing they work at all, so it's probably not Hades' fault the trigger broke.

*points to the stack of extra controllers purchased due to sales sitting next to the pile of "one bit broke" controllers used to salvage parts for the rest*

Believe me I know. We wound up throwing out my wife's old 360 controllers due to lack of compatibility, but those things are solid as hell. There's probably six or so xbone/xbsex controllers floating around and they all still work flawlessly. Every DS4 has the rubber stick covers wear out, or the triggers die, or the buttons get mashed in. Bayonetta on xbox may have had me in pain for a week but that controller still worked until the day we threw it out with our final 360.

Unfortunately, aside from the Steamdeck, the world has largely decided on the xbox layout and it actively induces pain in my left arm to use them for more than a few minutes without an extended break. The DS5s are tilted so much towards the triggers that L1/R1 feel uncomfortable. It sucks that the best controller fit for me has to be the one that dies if you sneeze at it... but welp.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The gift rate is fine. The rate at which they actually drop cosmetics is super hosed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

It's an MMO. No, wait, it's a seasons game and you can respec. Wait, no you can't respec. Ok, you can respec but it gets more expensive because ~investment~. But it has an unchanging open world and there are public events like an MMO! Oh but also it's not an MMO, it's an action game and it'll have seasons at some point. You can move around legendary affixes. Ok ok, only some affixes! It's got a sphere grid like that other game you people like! Ok ok sorry it has multiple sphere grids because you're a totally unique and special character in this game with like six classes! Guys we can't keep changing this our only direction was to read through a decade of reddit complaints and all of our devs are quitting now and we have six months to turn the game into something that makes everyone happy just please preorder.

I'll be over here with the smart money waiting until 2033 to play. Until then I'll be playing Diablo 3 Season 28.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

bio347 posted:

For example, here is a list of the fire skills the sorc apparently has in D4. It might look familiar:

It's worse than that, because on top of Firebolt... we have Icebolt. Also the same electrical attack. These are diverse and interesting choices and I'm sure putting 99 points into Firebolt is a good way to play. ~Diversity~ and ~investment~ will save the game even if the loot universally sucks and everything takes longer.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

I think D2 is a great game and prefer it to D3 but I played D2 when it was current. I can totally see someone stepping into D2 in 2023 and doing an immediate 180, like I did when I tried to play Baldur's Gate 2 a couple years ago

Sometimes you just can't go back, and that's fine. Both BG2 and D2 should be appreciated for what they were at the time but how sad would it be if that was the end of evolution for games.

WoW Classic was super interesting to me, having played then but not played it in forever, because all those patches that sanded over the rough edges and made things more fun or accessible were declared to have ruined the perfect purity of 2004. This lasted until the #nochanges people got their game and started making all the same complaints I remember seeing from the original release.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the fate of D2R as well, though I admittedly haven't followed the discourse surrounding that beyond hearing "Blizzard ruined it" a bunch.

bio347 posted:

Being effectively unable to play the game because gently caress you is generally not A Thing anymore.

Excuse me but I believe you mean "build diversity".

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Real men played it on the hardest mode possible...

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

If there were leaderboards for D2R

D2 having a "ladder" always seemed confusing to me. Like D3's season stuff is pretty well-defined in rank/time, but what the hell is a season in D2? Aside from just an arbitrary game reset what are you competing for? I tried to google this a while back and aside from a dozen articles copypasted from the same source about times and the reset I couldn't find anything.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

mmkay posted:

Race who bots the fastest to 99.

Hah that would be really idiotic and completely ignorant of technology even in 1999. No, seriously, what was the competition for?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

istewart posted:

I haven't been able to convince myself to adapt to the PC version and start over.

I mean, starting over isn't really a thing because seasons... but given the topic is about how there won't be seasons anymore to "force" people into D4 that probably doesn't help. :v:

I like the less-but-better loot setup on console and dodge rolling is always cool, but other than those I wouldn't give it up on PC. Inventory management really sucked on console and there were just enough issues trying to either attack or activate an object to annoy me. It's perfectly playable and I was surprised it was that good, but in the end it just wasn't as good.

quote:

Side note, I guess Diablo 4 is coming to base PS4/XB1? It's a bit shocking, but I guess they won't pass up that money no matter what, even if they don't want to attempt cramming it onto OG Switch. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a trumpeted launch title for next-gen Switch, tho.

I'd imagine the core dev work was for PS4/Xbone because this has been a dumpster fire of a generation start. You can try to push hardware sales by locking in first-party titles but everyone else wants that massive install base.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I tend to ignore the cosmetic stuff beyond just tickmarks in a collection. A pet is required, but I've turned off the wings as they're distracting and I have only ever transmogged the one thing for the season goal. One of the reasons I find the character creator and cash shop cosmetics so funny is that your character is so tiny on the screen and you're surrounded by exploding death and particle effects. No one is going to see the face tattoo you spent hours carefully placing, and that's assuming there's an option to hide the helmet you're wearing. :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Grifter posted:

I have a level 70 Wizard and want to gear her scoundrel buddy with dex gear. What’s the best way to do that?

Make a Dex class alt, gamble/craft the gear you want on them. If you had the resources to burn you can convert items in the cube and they'll smartroll to the stats of the new class, which is a quick way to get rings/amulets that would be harder to get otherwise.

quote:

Similarly, now that I have a level 70 that can farm, how can I best use that to rapidly get other classes to 70?

Go run whatever greater rifts you can at max speed. Get shards, switch to alt, gamble shards. To get an alt quickly geared up with non-ancient sets you can just gamble pants and then convert them to harder to get bits in the cube. If you don't have appropriate weapons to reroll you can craft rares and upgrade them until you score what you want. Ditto for rings/amulets, though those are always a pain unless you've been stockpiling and can reroll them for the appropriate stats.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

A Moose posted:

Every other RPG is like, "you have to plan out your whole build from level 1or get punished". and "skills have levels, just because you have the skill doesn't mean you can use it, you gotta level up 5 more times before its actually good"

This thing you're bringing up as a negative is literally the Diablo 2 is better because argument. It's usually framed as "investment" or "build diversity" because those sound a lot better than "you're screwed if you don't do your internet research first".

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Not another d2 vs d3 argument on the internet. :yikes:

Nah, now it's all about D3 vs D4 and whether or not D4 is enough like D2 to be good unlike D3. :v:

But seriously, that negative is considered a positive. I don't personally agree with it but that's why you have locked-in builds and trap choices in 2023.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

DarkMatt posted:

Being able to change any choice in d3 is a good thing, but there isn't that many switches to throw, so there isn't as much build complexity/diversity as I would like.

The battle lines are formed around whether or not you believe that when presented with 100 options the first thing any reasonable person does is type in "Best <class> build 2023" or whatever into google and immediately drop the diversity down to a handful of builds.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

At the Blacksmith, you can now salvage a Primal Item for 55 Primordial Ashes. We have also added a Primal Item recipe to Kanai’s Cube—it will cost 100 Primordial Ashes and any non-crafted Legendary Item.

Daaaaaamn.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Outside of bounties I will play multiplayer when Emanates gear affects you there and not one moment sooner.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Star Man posted:

The next logical step is to accept that you've grown out of Diablo 2

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I mean if you want a peak time where people are mad about point A then you're living through it...

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

nobody is particularly going to care if some intern turns up a damage number by 8,000% every few months or so. Even if all they do is cycle between the 6 most popular seasons from now on, that's still a ton of replayable content. And I think new stuff will continue to be added into the game as well.

I think the sentiment is more that they'll stop not because that one intern is expensive, but because D4 sucks like vanilla D3 and they're willing to cannibalize the previous game to push the new one. Not a great decision, and not one I think they'd make, but that seems to be the general internet vibe going around.

Personally I'd want to keep people in the D3 ecosystem as long as possible so that when I finally found a lead who didn't have his head up his rear end people would be able to transition to D4 2.0: We Fixed It, including introducing tie-in items for current D3 owners... but I'm not the savvy dev that xXx_D3SUXX_xXx from the gamefaqs forums is.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

My only gripe is that there is no point grinding past GR 80-ish. Once the rift boss loot is maxed out and all legendries, there's no difference.
If you turned off the GUI and damage numbers, you wouldn't know whether you're playing with a fresh set of gear on 80, or a fully tweaked 200 hours 'sperged build at GR120.

I mean I'd like to see inifinitely scaling gear because it'd be comedy, but I can understand why it is eventually locked down to just time trials. Paragon sucks but I can't think of a way to replace it that doesn't either result in wasted effort or infinite gear.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I universally deduct points from anything where the term "PvP" is used. It's used to denote that you will either:

A) Get loving torched by someone who, due to level/gear/class/whatever, is a player-killing machine
B) Get loving torched by someone who, due to exclusively playing the PvP mode in a preformed comp 16 hours a day since launch, is a player-killing machine

Competitive games are great. Co-op games are great. Trying to mix them just screws everything up past like the first week.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Mayveena posted:

WoW would like to speak with you. Tons of players only play PVP on Wow and especially since the elimination of PvP only realms, you must opt in to PVP. Everyone seems happy with this arrangement. I would not have an issue with them adding opt in PVP in D4.

That's absolutely news to me. Originally PvP took two forms: you rolled on a PvP server (your fault) or they decided their battlegrounds/AV needed players so they locked PvE gear in there. Last I looked into WoW in any form they had turned off PvP, but if you turned it on voluntarily you got a PvE-related boost. The whole thing was designed around the same concept - people who like pvp want pve prey, so we need a way to force pve prey into the pvp space.

Guild Wars 2 has entirely optional PvP and apparently people love it. Your specs are all unlocked (unlike PvE) at level 2 and you can explicitly set one for PvP. Your gear has all stats removed. At best you'll get unique skins, just like the unique skins from PvE or their large-scale World vs World mode, so you only ever go there if you want to. It's popular and highly competitive and I will never have to engage with it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

biceps crimes posted:

I played back in 2013 but not seriously beyond just beating the campaign a handful of times with the different classes. Coming back to it now and it rules. Is blizz going to continue doing seasons and supporting the game or is it anyone's guess?

Insert your personal level of "they're just going to abandon it for D4" here, more or less. A measured response is they'll probably continue running them for a while but don't expect any massive game-changing things like this season. Probably some repeats, plenty of small balance tweaks.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Service games have this weird as hell arc where they are somehow legally required to release as unfun and oppressive as possible, then apply the fun police to lock down any potential enjoyment that escaped beta scrutiny, then continue on until the population drops and decide "oh screw it, maybe let people enjoy the game". Even RoS wasn't the end for D3, which was better but didn't hit stride (imo) until later seasons.

I don't know if it's fear of Twitch people saying your game is "easy" or what but it's such a dumb blueprint to follow.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

While everyone is busy going through D4 I figured I'd finally crack season 28. Wizard... just stops dead. Got spoiled last season by monk transitioning nicely from leveling to starter set to innas and ending on WoL. Hydra set definitely ain't doing that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Hydra Wiz gets as much from Serpent's Sparker / Frag as they do from their class set, SS especially because of the multiplicative effect on Typhon's. Cube up rare wands until you get one, 2/7 chance to get something good. It's smooth sailing from there.

I got fragment, but yeah still trying on SS. I haven't spent this much time in T1 since... probably the start of seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

A Hydra Wiz should be able to do the T20 dungeon needed to get their full set with just the 4pc bonus, especially if you already have a Frag.

It didn't really click until SS dropped. That snowballed into the offhand on the next run, and now I'm back in t16 where things are normal again. Was just a weird speed bump in the middle I didn't get with my monk.