Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

When are we getting a new Advance Wars game

Never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress carts, I never want to see one again.

The sample applies to discs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If you wear over-ear headphones in public you're going to look like a goober whether they are wired or not

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

iajanus posted:

I enjoy the conversation where people discuss when playing a Switch in public whether the use of over-ear headphones will make any difference to how people are perceiving you.

The real secret is that you shouldn't care about what random people think about you.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not a Children posted:

lmao how have they not realized that people want sprites way more than they want 3d character models

low effort 3d is easier to do

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Don't sell/trade in your consoles unless you are absolutely sure you don't want to use them again

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

I should preface by saying I love my Switch despite the shortcomings it has. It's really awesome.

Today, though, I realized that I'm essentially just re-playing games I already liked instead of getting entirely new experiences. The list of Switch games that have physical releases and are exclusive is short and inconsistent, with ARMS and Splatoon 2 being the only obvious standouts. So while I really like the thing, I essentially paid $300 to play two new games and a bunch of stuff I could have either had for the Wii U or Steam or something.

Don't get me wrong, this didn't stop me from paying $30 for Cave Story+ again or choosing to play Zelda on the Switch, and ARMS and Splatoon 2 are really good, but if I didn't think the Switch would be so scarce during the holiday season I probably wouldn't have bought one yet at all.

And that itself made me wonder about Nintendo's business practices in general. I could be way off base, here, so forgive me if it's ignorance, but it seems like they fuckin' love them some artificial scarcity - is there any reason why they didn't just make a bazillion Switches to meet the obvious demand? Is there a reason why some amiibos are like $150 on the secondary market? Why did they choose to release the Switch during one of the most clustered early-year release blocks in my memory?

It's a new console, hoping for more (worthwhile) exclusives so soon was always a fool's errand.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really liked DQ Builders so that's great news

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I disagree. There's too many games on the Nintendo Switch, they should take some away IMO.

They should just remove all the games. They just distract people from the console itself.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I never really got the point of sonic. I watched the giant bomb quicklook and the levels are just so busy. I played whatever sonic was on the game gear 20 years ago and never got very far because I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. At least in Mario, the point is to go to the right and get to the castle.

It's a platformer. You want to get to the end of the level.

I don't like Sonic games but it's not complicated.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My tip for BOTW: Do whatever you want and put your points into whatever

Going into Hateno first is a good idea though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rexroom posted:

My tip for BotW: Prepare for disappointment.

Yeah BOTW not being infinitely long was definitely disappointing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I did and then I realized I can just play it on my Vita and I'm like cool I should go do that.

What's a Vita?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

This is mostly what makes me a bit hesitant on BOTW. I'm a bit weary of open world games cause I don't want a big map filled with nothing. Something like Just Cause 2 for instance, it was a fun game but most of the open world stuff just wasn't that engaging. I mean it was fun flying around and blowing poo poo up but that got old after a while. On the other hand Witcher 3 had a gigantic open world and almost every sidequest was worth doing. Even a bunch of the contracts had awesome little stories attached to them. I'm also kind of curious about the Mario/Rabbids game? I've never played XCOM but it still looks interesting. Gah! Why can't Smash Bros DX or Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 be out so my choices would be OBVIOUS

BOTW is literally the only open world game that has gotten me excited about exploring

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

loving lol at the "Zelda defense squad" about people with different BOTW opinions than you

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo's DLC is really hit and miss. Something like Mario kart is great but fire emblem DLC is loving awful and overpriced to boot.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember those dark days before the real game was announced. I remember the people who were like, "There isn't a market for turn-based games anymore, we need to take what we can get"

Back then I don't think I could have imagined this moment where two of the year's biggest releases are a full-featured expansion pack to the sequel of a wildly successful XCOM reboot and a Mario crossover game using XCOM's mechanics, coming out on the same day.

I probably couldn't have imagined a lot of other things but that's neither here nor there

It's really weird how corporate execs sometimes just decide that there isn't a market for something with no actual proof.

Remember when Square-Enix was really surprised that Bravely Default, a classic-style JRPG, actually sold well and was what people in the west wanted?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 25, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I haven't seen the numbers, but I hope the second one did well too.

I want Bravely Switch to exist. Like, a lot

Pretty sure the bravely team is making Octopath traveler (which we still don't know anything about)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lakbay posted:

I am now slightly less hyped for Octopath Traveler because I never did beat BD and absolutely loathed the pacing of the 2nd half

Bravely Second doesn't have the problem so there is no reason to believe they would do it again

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The best version of tactics is the PSP version with the anti-slowdown patch, either on an actual PSP or an emulator. The touch controls are much worse than the normal button controls.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 26, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

iOS has slowdown fixed in FFT and has for years. The touchscreen controls are also good, especially if you play on an iPad mini. It was fine on a 4S as well but far better on an iPad for my non-baby hands.

Way worse than the button controls though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nintendo PR already solved this problem for their press tours, anyway. You just need to shackle your Switch to your wrist

Uh, you should shackle it to a woman instead

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Stardew would be actively worse on the Switch, its menus and tools are much better with a mouse

On the other hand, I will literally never play a harvest moon clone on a non-portable

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Imagined posted:

At least there were some 2D/pixel art games on PS1 that have aged well, e.g. Symphony of the Night. Mario 64 and the two Zelda games are pretty much the only N64 games I ever want to play again nowadays.

Fortunately both Zeldas got remakes on 3DS which are much better so you don't even need to play the original versions

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yeah but all first party Nintendo games got reviews posted several days in advance. This game comes out tomorrow, is by Ubisoft, and has questionable quality, and delaying reviews this late makes me think this game is as repetitive as I figured from videos of the rather boring battles.

I'm expecting pretty mediocre reviews if Ubisoft is delaying this hard

There is like no correlation between dumb embargoes and game quality though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

They haven't "ruined" anything, but the game is a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, which was made before things like the Weapon Triangle and Time Travel Babies. There are supports but no offspring or anything. Also there's some 3rd person dungeon crawling and random encounters on the map screen (which can get a little tedious). It's a good game if you like Fire Emblems.

It should be noted that the map design is horrid though since they had no idea what they were doing back then.

loving swamps and deserts

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm probably going to have more fun with Mario xcom than with Odyssey

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope they release all games on the switch, even the bad ones like Bethesda games

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

One thing I'd like to see if Mario XCOM has gotten people into turn based tactics is a port of the modern Shadowrun games, since those are basically RPGs with XCOM combat and would be a really good step up and also perfect on the Switch.

The combat in those games is really bad compared to xcom though (or mario xcom)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Give me another Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Number One FC will be #1

:siren: Jupiter's Picross series will hit the Switch next week in Picross S :siren:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

They won't release just one either. They've released multiple sequels on the 3DS and they're all cheap as chips.

gently caress yeah

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Personally I've always used the D-pad on these instead of the touchscreen. Has felt faster and more precise

Same

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bethesda the publisher and bethesda the game developer are not the same thing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Nintendo is one of the few companies where their DLC isn't pure bullshit. Time and again the DLC packs released for Nintendo games add a hefty chunk of content and content that was clearly started on after the game released. Let's hope a loot box system :barf: never darkens any Nintendo game

Nintendo's DLC is really hit and miss. It can absolutely awful or really great depending on the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope they do a Steamworld Heist 2 at some point since I liked that one a lot

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Mario Kart should be a once every 2 years thing.

There's literally nothing new you can do with Smash besides adding a level or a character here and there.

Mario Kart 9 and Smash 4 DX with DLC are the optimal, here.

Smash 4 didn't even have a subspace emissary equivalent

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would have paid $100 for mario xcom

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sensual Simian posted:

Okay, what the hell is the huge appeal with Picross S? Its just Sudoku/Minesweeper? Are ya'll serious?

Picross loving owns

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I highly recommend Pokémon Picross as a free example, I have yet to find a smartphone picross game I actually liked.

I refuse to play picross without a dpad and buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

the panacea posted:

Did I dream that or is Dragon Quest Builders 2 also coming to the Switch? I recently got 1 for cheap on the PS4 and this would make a most excellent switch game!

It is coming to the switch

• Locked thread