Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Toshimo posted:

OJ
Mike Tyson
Michael Vick
Eddie Johnson
Lawrence Taylor
Darryl Strawberry
Darren Sharper

Famous men in general are pretty poo poo but for a long time famous "nerds" got a pass for entirely too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Spalec posted:

Not to say that BBT doesn't sweeten/enhance/prompt the laughter but removing it and leaving the silences in there is a really terrible 'proof'. If you did that to the funniest stand up comedian in the world it'd make a lot of the jokes seem really flat and weird.

BBT is bad though, although I don't understand the hate for it. If it's bad, just don't watch it?

People can hate things that are bad, what the gently caress do you think SA was founded on?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably no helping the other one, though.

Monster by mistake is one of the worst shows I have ever seen, it's so loving bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pick posted:

Well there you veer into the problem that the original stories are frankly pretty bad. They're poorly-written and you can't intuit the solution, "The Speckled Band" being an obvious example. Luckily for the property, most people have never actually read them.

Not being able to figure out the whodunnit before the end isn't necessarily a bad thing, though I do agree that the novels (that I've read) haven't aged very well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:stare: how is Dhalsim not the absolute loving best of those options, Dhalsim is one of the baddest motherfuckers in all of Street Fighter

Unfortunately Dhalsim set unrealistic standards for children WRT the length of limbs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Yeah that is not coherent

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Versailles being the 17th century equivalent of a nerd convention is extremely funny to me and I'm sad I've never seen a movie capitalize on that, because it's always depicted as being sort of austerely classy.

Harder to romanticize the rich if they're being accurately depicted as shitstained weirdos, and the modern rich pay for movies

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gaunab posted:

The first few episodes of 30 rock are rough. Takes a while before it finds it's footing.

Is that before or after the episode defending blackface

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

sweet geek swag posted:

Speaking as a white person, until recently the attitude towards blackface among whites has generally been "Oh, I know blackface is bad, but this time it's okay because [blank]!" It hasn't been until the last couple of years that I have actually seen real pushback against the mentality. I'm not defending what 30 Rock did (or Scrubs, or any of the countless other productions that used blackface), but I am saying that of course they thought they could get away with it. It's only now that we look back as a society and realize "that wasn't actually a very good excuse."

Shut up honky

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

the_steve posted:

If anything, shouldn't Drow be white? And I mean white. Printer paper white.
I mean, they live underground. Their only light sources are magic, glowing moss, and a giant rock that the top wizard casts a spell on every day to function as a giant clock.

Drow

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kit Walker posted:

Terry Goodkind was an absolute bellend with an ironic lastname. I also just found out he died last year so that's some great news for today

Nice

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sweevo posted:

He changed publishers for the German editions just as his novels were starting to take off, which was considered unusual.

Apparently the publisher did it with all their genre fiction and could not understand what they had done wrong.

I've got a soup-er idea

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I mean, that's a little too much credit. He's absolutely making fun of the concept of a Chinese person. He's a hammy showbiz guy who adores musical theater so he's going to take everything up to 11. Like, there are ways of making a "These people eat food different from what I am used to and it is intimidating" without being lazy and racist about it. Seth is not up to that task. That explains it, it doesn't excuse it.

It's not even particularly hammy or exaggerated up to 11, it's pretty standard racial caricaturing by a wealthy white man who's sense of humour never evolved past thinking naughty words are funny

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ReidRansom posted:

Close Enough owns. I watch it on HBO Max, but I'm pretty sure TBS is responsible for it.

And re: McFarlane, I'll gladly defend The Orville as watchable, from what I recall. Not spectacular, but surprisingly sincere and decent.

The Orville is just as bad as his other stuff except it's star trek fanfic instead of the flintstones.

Also it features more of his extremely poorly conceived LGBTQ storylines that are incredible ignorant

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The real thing dragging it down is that Jerry Seinfeld thinks foreign accents are the funniest, not hacky at all poo poo.

You read any behind the scenes stuff about the accent comedy episodes and it gets even grosser.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

somepartsareme posted:

iirc it's left unclear at the end of the episode whether he voted for Bush. I believe it ends with Luanne saying not to tell who he voted for or it wouldn't come true. Given that his only issue with Bush was the handshake, he probably ended up voting for him.

Hank would be a never trump republican

Yeah, Hank would see Trump as an effete new york/hollywood partyboy, but he'd loving jump at the chance to vote one of the "reasonable" ones

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

sweet geek swag posted:

So no one with any credibility is what you are saying.

Well they've never been good people used to pay attention to the media and trust it much more than they do now

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

That literally what Whedon is/was

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's fun to exaggerate you stupid loving piece of poo poo, i'll kill you if you ever imply otherwise you gently caress

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lady Radia posted:

i think folks are overreacting a bit. firefly was a breath of fresh air for 2001-2002 and that general opinion lasted until 2010, when its form of fresh air became, well, stale. hollywood and most major tv shows follow very lame and outdated trends for longer than society does, so firefly felt like an unfairly transgressed show for about that time. now we can fairly revisit it and say it sucks, but was good for its time? why are we overreacting to this.

It's not overreacting to say that something that is bad, isn't good

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Jan 16, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

the_steve posted:

Yeah, good thing I was replying to someone who was stating their claim as a fact and not their opinion.

I was not doing that you tedious bitch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean even if he was a bad actor it doesn’t seem revelant to the main point

Can't be racist against someone that is a bad actor, duh

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FightingMongoose posted:

I think this is a bit weak.

It's a show where Giles is tortured, Riley is stabbed and ends up hospitalised for several episodes, Oz is regularly locked in a cage. IIRC Xander loses an eye at one point?

Buffy gets beaten up in one episode of a series about her beating people up. Not sure its a show massively focused on beating Buffy up.

The problem is that Whedon is a sex criminal and was jacking off while writing those scenes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dr Christmas posted:

"Communism is all over the place" is such a silly phrase even if it wasn't trying to sound all portentous.

it's all over the walls, on the ceiling, under the tiles

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

You should definitely actually read that linked article before trying to clear him of being a sexual abuser. Unless you are a victim yourself in which case definitely don't.

For loving real

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I think that’s probably more true than anything else fascist imagery is they way because it’s badass. The fascist don’t put much more thought in it than that. So people coming at that conclusion independently isn’t shocking

Yeah they don't do that poo poo cause they think "oh boy, this looks fash and is cool" they think "oh that looks cool" and don't think about anything at all really

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also says he doesn’t particularly care how you interpret it as long as you pay which undercuts that a lot

Not in a good way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Iv'e noticed it on my streaming platforms too, cop shows in full force, lionizing these entire cop families.
"In this family we don't talk about hard work, we just do it!"

Not actually new

Copaganda has been popular since radio shows and the dime novels before em

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk5xnEL8mYg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't think B99 was meant to be a copaganda show. I think the show runners thought "I wonder if you could set a sitcom in the L&O universe" and tried to come at it from a fresh perspective for years until they figured out they couldn't and stopped. I dunno what else you can ask for.

Didn't mean to doesn't mean that they didn't make copaganda

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

B99 definitely has its problems, but, as many other posters have said here, it did a better job of presenting the corruption of the American police system better than most other shows. Yeah, arrest competitions and "Jake's always right" and those sorts of things aren't great, but the show depicts almost every other cop onscreen as incompetent or outright malicious, and the last season does try to address things a bit more head on. A lot of it is "baby's first wokeness about police corruption" but, goddamn, this is America and I will take what I can get when 99% of other cop shows are BLUE LIVES MATTERS kind of poo poo

I'd much rather never have a cop show again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

muscles like this! posted:

Cops are an easy source of drama, especially for a procedural.

So?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Reminding someone of 14 year old Canadian media is such an advanced form of mental assault

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

pentyne posted:

Huh, kind of interesting. Wonder when the full throated cop worship started in media. Feel like Hill Street Blues was probably the start of the trend despite not showing cops in a glowing light and every successive attempt to make a cop drama leaned more into the "bad things for good reasons" with every iteration.

Don't think cops were highly regarded in the 50s and 60s, and the massive ramp in crime in the 70s and 80s probably led to more people having contempt for the useless police at the time.

The Gang Busters radio program debuted in 1936 and the tv show in 1952. So sometime before that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

rodbeard posted:

Neil Gaiman left his wife for a fan that mailed him nude photos and seemed genuinely shocked it did not work out.

Yuck, lol

Learning more about him has been consistently disappointing lmao

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moonmazed posted:

tts is some 4chan era garbage. the definition of media that didn't age well

Even as a teen I never really liked it. Always seemed aimed towards people who read about 40k on 4chan or wikis instead of people that have looked into themselves

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lighthouses were a big thing around then, Round the Twist coming to mind.

I briefly worked for a Blockbuster and the manager talked about how they take care of their Disney stuff because it's so hard to get, Disney kept a tight hold on physical media- an artificial scarcity so people would go nuts when they finally opened the vault for a bit.

Seems it ended up a bad idea since they ended up both swamped out of mindshare by their competitors and just encouraging piracy, and then caught completely flat-footed by digital until they finally caught up. Disney took even longer than the music industry to catch up to the 21st century, and they're lucky it didn't break them the same way.

I hope that Disney is completely destroyed within our lifetimes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Volcott posted:

Tupac hologram frollo.

Frollo played by hologram Tupac and voiced by Tony Jay clips

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Martman posted:

They may have pulled punches in terms of the dramatic impact of the use of terrorism imagery and stuff, but I think that's because, intentionally, a ton of the movie is dominated by Batman's personal struggle over his own identity rather than the larger meaning of the poo poo going on. (and like, that's why he fails to notice the Riddler's final plan even: he's too busy worrying about whether he personally will be outed as Bruce Wayne to notice that there's more going on here.) But in the end, the point of the terrorist cell in the movie is to show Batman that his "I am vengeance" schtick has been leading him into a psychological space where he's more like a terrorist than a hero. I don't see how someone could say the movie is supporting that poo poo when it is all used to have Batman go "oh gently caress, I needed a shock to my system to remind me that I should never be anything like any of these people."

I would separately argue, if anything, the movie leans pretty far in the "Batman is just a super-cop" direction, so it's kinda wacky to me to think it aligns too hard with fringe elements.

Batman is always a fascist, just like cops are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

It's not subtext. The film flat out states that the world is degenerating because stupid people are outbreeding smart people.

Like really frequently. And it directly connects being poor to being dumb too, you know, because the rich are rich because of how smart they are.