Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
People literally complain that scenes in the actual movie they are watching are spoilers e.g. the spaceship scenes at the very beginning of Predator or The Thing. Its gotten pretty loving absurd lately.

Honestly its a bit exhausting trying to read a general thread about movies/games where 3/4 of every page is blacked out and its impossible to tell if its an actual spoiler discussion or just some nonsense that doesn't matter. I get wanting to make sure that major plot points, reveals and actual twists don't get spoiled but there's got to be a middle ground that doesn't have people raging that casting choices for upcoming films destroyed their enjoyment of the film they're watching now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

CharlestheHammer posted:

It reminds me that during the early days of the pandemic you had a lot of celebrities posting messages from their big estates on how tough lockdown was.

It didn’t go particularly well

idk, bo burnham won an emmy :shrug:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

the_steve posted:

Hell, didn't Richard Pryor kinda do the same thing? Like he used the N word in his shows a lot, and then he went to Africa or something and he resolved to stop.
I know it's not a 1:1 comparison, but, similar ballpark.

Yeah. I was looking for a video I saw a few years ago that intercut that bit you're describing from Pryor with the "no bad words" bit George Carlin did and it was pretty shocking, honestly. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore.

Pryor's bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hULhZqhw9yU

I don't really want to link the Carlin bit because its just him saying literally every slur there is and then saying it doesn't matter because of context or something. Its really lovely and bad.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Arivia posted:

Are you talking about Carlin's seven dirty words and the followup? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words That's about FCC censorship, not general cultural use.

No, I'm not. He has a bit where he recites a litany of uninterrupted slurs for the better part of a minute straight and ends the bit calling Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor the n word. You can search youtube for "george carlin they are only words" if you really want to hear it. And then read the comments for even more fun times!

e: yeah thats the one and its pretty hosed up, imo.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

rodbeard posted:

Boondock Saints worked on the strength of a complete amateur pulling a fun action movie script out of his rear end. He was always honest about it just being a fun power fantasy action movie. I can respect that more than Scorsese's approach of "and then the protagonist goes to jail in the last 5 minutes because I swear my movies don't glorify crime *wink*"

lol

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Rochallor posted:

Hank also canonically didn't vote for Bush, so it's hard to imagine that he then voted for Trump

Bush had a limp, dead fish handshake. Trump has a manly, powerful handshake. Hank would appreciate that

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

BioEnchanted posted:

The most annoying thing is that people sometimes seem to think that strong necessitates physical power, when complex combinations of motivation are what people mean by strong characters.

"Strong" doesn't, or shouldn't, mean powerful or influential even. To me, it means a character with a strong sense of self and will to actualize their goals. I recently rewatched Fargo and was struck by how strong a character Frances McDormand's Marge Gunderson is. She never physically engages anyone but just through will, tenacity, and intelligence manages to solve the case while still being very much a pregnant woman. So often "strong" women characters are portrayed as having traditionally masculine traits like aggressiveness, jocularity, and a lack of caring for others. There are other kinds of strength that rarely get explored. It was also a bonus that Marge's husband is this easy going dude that low key recognizes how strong his wife is without being threatened by her in any way. Movie aged well imo

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Torquemada posted:

Or Paths Of Glory.

Truffaut wrote a review of Paths of Glory years before his "I've never seen an antiwar film" quote. He literally talks about it in the interview that quote is from. His point was that violence is ambiguous and can be read by the audience however they choose. Paths of Glory can be seen, and was seen as an indictment of the French government, not war itself by some people. The atrocities in Come and See can be viewed as the reason why war is necessary to fight that kind of evil. Steven Spielberg watched Come and See before filming Saving Private Ryan. Its the ambiguity of how people respond to depictions of violence, not the intentions of the filmmakers, that he was addressing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Can films have any kind of political content, then?

Yes, of course they can, you just have to accept that sometimes R Lee Ermy becomes a beloved personality and literal army recruitment poster

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Precambrian posted:

As far as I can tell, Truffaut never said it was "impossible," just that he hadn't seen an anti-war film succeed and he doubted he could pull it off either, and I think he's got a case there.

Its exactly that. The quote came from an interview where Gene Siskel asked him why he doesn't show killing in his movies and he responded that violence is ambiguous and that he'd never seen an antiwar film. He's very clearly correct in the assessment that violence on screen is ambiguous and people can apply whatever worldview or ideology they want to it. The part that people seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around is that it doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't make films that are critical of war and depict it with all of its violent horrors, you just need to go into it knowing that some people will miss your point. Truffaut didn't want to engage with that. Its not impossible to make an antiwar film, he just hadn't seen one that could eliminate that ambiguity.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Acute Grill posted:

Chumbawumba are really cool. Like their brief time in the mainstream isn't something they're bitter about not lasting longer, and they don't pretend that they tricked the label into signing them or whatever, it's just another part of their long time in music. Hell their rationale for signing with a major label was "no matter who we sign with they're gonna exploit us, so let's get exploited in a way we can pay our rent and buy food."

They're outspoken anarchists and used the proceeds from their albums to support a ton of antiracist and anticapitalist organizations. I've never really liked their style of music but they are definitely cool people who weren't shy about their beliefs and were willing to put their money where their mouth is.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Brawnfire posted:

Anyone who sings jaunty tunes about murdering the royal family is alright by me

:yeah:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

ImpAtom posted:

One of my favorite random once-off jokes was from Johnny Dangerously, when a character is trying to talk up his absurdly large gun and proudly/smugly says "It shoots through schools." Which was a funny bit of excess when it came out and now is just depressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl17yr2VWQg

When the movie Talk to Me came out, I found out the directors had a youtube channel where they tried out ideas, did skits and short films, etc. A lot of low budget effects, action scenes, and edgy horror stuff. I watched one of their horror shorts that was about a murderous Ronald McDonald slaughtering the employees of a neighboring fast food place with a gun as they cowered in fear. Maybe that sort of thing hits different in countries that don't have near daily mass shootings but I, as an American, found it pretty gross.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Rochallor posted:

I watched through all of Community some time in the past year and it holds up just fine for the most part, there's some stuff that raises an eyebrow but it's largely the stuff that people were commenting on at the time (ie the Jeff/Annie relationship). Ken Jeong is pretty good in the first season, and not terrible in 5/6, but he is unbearable in the middle part (I didn't watch Season 4).

It mostly holds up but there is an episode that has something to do with a transfer student pageant that features a pretty prominent slur through the whole bit. Grossed me out on a recent rewatch.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Ambitious Spider posted:

Home alone is straw dogs for kids

Just wanted to point out that this was literally the intention of the filmmakers. Like they explicitly reference straw dogs as inspiration. Not sure if thats what you were referring to in your post but wanted to make sure everyone knows that Home Alone is very literally a christmas-themed Straw Dogs for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

credburn posted:

The second one is unwatchable anyway. I hope that style of editing goes away, that's something I hope we can look back on in a few years and wonder why this was ever an aesthetic.

They're all unwatchable.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i second this but also hope that longform "video essays" go extinct.

:agreed:

I don't have the patience to sit through the Irishman, let alone some dumbfuck googling poo poo and then talking directly into a camera for four hours about pointless garbage.