Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Juicero is shutting down. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Zeroisanumber posted:

They were selling a $400 juicer with a subscription for their dumb juice service but the machines themselves probably cost more like $1200 to produce.

This guy is an electrical engineer (or something) who dismantles one and he's super-impressed with their high quality molded parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cp-BGQfpHQ

I could watch poo poo like that all day. That video is like giving my brain a pacifier.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I wonder what would happen if Mattis wasn't in the administration.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Look at the loving hurricane whisperer here.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Not a single word about mountains.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't you dare touch Roscoe, Irma.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Any word if Trump will deploy mountains to combat ISIS

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
At least in Chicago, bullets and heat kill. No crazy storms.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

psydude posted:

Can someone explain to me how hurricane hunter aircraft don't just get swatted out of the sky? I know commercial aviation is ultra conservative when it comes to weather, but it amazes me that an airplane can physically survive inside something like that.

Stable-ish winds within the storm. The planes can drop a grand or so in altitude due to turbulence, which sucks but the airframe is durable.

Planes don't like shearing winds and winds that are sudden and shifting.

The interesting thing about those videos is how the crew are flying by instrument and the constant power adjustments made the flight engineer. I imagine these guys are flying a very precise airspeed for turbulence penetration.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wonder Free posted:

This. We fly 210 KIAS for all storm work. You set a certain pressure or radar altitude that is usually requested by NHC and deconflict with whatever rival service is flying through at the same time.

We use an s-band nose radar and another s-band lower fuselage radar (looks like a big M&M) to find a relatively safe path. Vertical shearing winds would be indicated by a sharp gradient of reflectivity (seen as green, yellow, red on the radar displays in the videos. Red is a high reflectivity value, but if it's surrounded by an easy transition of different colors, then it's usually just a ton of water. If it's on its own or forming off into a finger or notch then it'll absolutely gently caress up our day.

I'm flying tonight at 0300 so I'll be out of pocket for awhile again. Just got back from Barbados, was quite nice and not affected by Irma.

What's your crew position? I'm a prior FE. How can I get in on this action?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
GIP HURRICANE HUNTER KREW WHADDUP

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wonder Free posted:

USA Jobs would be the way for the civilian side. Which would be FE or any of the tech or mech positions. I think they usually require AMP or whatever that maintenance cert is.

I'm a navigator, which, along with pilots is a NOAA Corps position. I had to interservice transfer from the navy into my position. It was very weird because NOAA Corps is like the asterisk of the uniformed services. We are super small so a spot only opens up every few years for pilot or nav positions. They'll definitely take guys from other services, we just happen to draw from the navy frequently because they have P-3s and we still maintain connections with those communities to get the word out and vet people.

Dang. That sounds like it's nearly impossible for me coming off the streets.

Then again, there isn't like a billion prior FE's in the world either.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wonder Free posted:

The last ones we have hired have been ground pounders that were former FEs. They did crew chief stuff for awhile and then when a spot opened up they wound up getting brought on to fly. Really more out of desperation than anything else - we are very small and only run two P3 crews, so we are only billeted for 4 FEs. A lot of them are older and already retired from the navy many years before, so if they run into issues with their FAA medical stuff, we have to scramble or fly short staffed. We are using a contractor from Wiley? Or whoever it is that supplies FEs to det Dallas for this storm series. I'll put the word out if they are looking again, someone is always in medical limbo these days it seems.

Cool. I'd probably need a flying class 3 again.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

tastefully arranged labia posted:

How do the engines cope with ingesting all of the various poo poo that is in the air during a forest fire?

Probably fairly well. A concern is with anything molten that can cool and harden. That poo poo will lock up turbines. Volcanic ash and commercial airliners don't mix well.

There's a mishap where a 747 lost all four engines due to hardened volcanic ash. The crew re-lit the motors after losing something like 20,000 feet.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
How hot is your girlfriend Waroduce

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lol get hosed Mar A Lago

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is Jose projected to possibly hit next weekend because lol

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LOL

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
When is Irma stretching out Florida today?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

At least run the offer from the time of the first plane strike to the last.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Sophomore in high school. First plane struck while I was in first period Actor's Workshop. When I got to math class the next period, our teacher, Ms Ernst, put the news on. She knew there was no point in carrying on a lesson. Shortly thereafter, classes were suspended and all students went to the cafeteria to watch the news projected on a giant wall.

A few days later two F-16's went supersonic somewhere near Chicago. The sonic boom rattled poo poo off the walls. Enlisted two years after.

bloops fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 12, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Syrian Lannister posted:

At night, right?

Late evening? 7 or 8? It was definitely after class. I was out with my friends in the neighborhood.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I am going to laugh SO HARD if Trump goes for this solely for the positive headlines.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The gently caress?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Who would've thought Trump is probably the nation's best chance at passing single payer healthcare?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Listen at this point the chaos is very entertaining.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mlmp08 posted:

Looking forward to the 2020 Trump slogan of "Bernie would've won, but Trump got it done!"

Oh Christ that's really good.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mlmp08 posted:

"I've been further even more enlisted to use even go need to do work more as anyone can."

Is my favorite enlisted statement maybe in history

My brain is attempting to divide by 0 when reading his post.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

facialimpediment posted:

I MADE NO DEAL

https://twitter.com/TomNamako/status/908308257223176192

HERE ARE THE TERMS OF THE DEAL IF THERE WAS A DEAL, WHICH THERE IS NO DEAL THAT I MADE

https://twitter.com/RyanLizza/status/908319360808353793

I'm walking to the train right now and laughed to myself like a crazy person reading this.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That is a nicely intact Backfire. Hard to tell if the horizontal stab got wrecked in the crash or something blew it off.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr. Nice! posted:

How does that 70-80k shape up in Chicago cost of living wise? I'm not up on the local numbers. Given that it's one of the largest cities in the country, though, I'm going to guess it's got higher than average cost of living. My hunch is that this is only a good salary if you live someone in suburbia and commute like a motherfucker.

And I was in the process of editing when you quoted me to emphasize I wasn't just meaning salary, but more money for equipment and training along with federal standards.

I make below that and live very well in a pricey one bedroom apartment in a good neighborhood. To live ok in Chicago without roommates, anything above 45k is perfectly adequate.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

That Works posted:

Unlike his father he is turning left.

Good lord

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
[quote="“facialimpediment”" post="“476819471”"]
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/913054409696956418
[/quote]

That's a good tweet.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Several of my classmates went on to become famous in a pop punk band that's far more popular than I realized. One was on Survivor. A few are professional actors with varying levels of success.

And then there's a pretty classic tale of high school death where one kid died early in junior year from a car accident. He was the passenger and was ejected through the windshield. The guy driving made it through without serious injury. He wasn't the same dude after that.

And then a nice, quiet girl who I remember being a really decent human being killed herself while I was in basic training.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yes

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The school I went to in Florida has only had 10 or so deaths out of 375. Most have been the typical dui/overdose/suicide. One was a girl who got caught with ecstasy in college and the police flipped her to be an informant. The geniuses in Tallahassee PD decided this little red headed Jewish girl should try to buy pounds of coke and automatic weapons from the local drug kingpin as her first job. They found her murdered a few counties over.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Rachel_Hoffman

Boy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

The school I went to in Virginia was much more strange. It was in Alexandria so it was a mixing pot of rich kids kicked out of the three big private schools and people growing up in abject poverty. We had a few NFL players, one of which is my good friend, who is now a WWE wrestler. The girl I took to senior prom is a VP at Reddit. Then there's probably about 25+ people that have died in drug related gang violence, three from OIF, tons of people incarcerated for minor drug busts etc. It was a lot bigger school though, I think I had 586 or 587 in my graduating class.

618 in mine. 2 of us went to the military. Me to the AF and the other to the Marines. It makes sense; he'd wear two or three shirts at once to look bigger.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
USAF officer Corp is full of Christian weirdos. The enlisted side is home to run of the mill idiots. Aircrew fares better in terms of intelligence. Still get a few conservative duds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I am so thoroughly impressed at how well Trump knows what gets a positive response from his fans.

• Locked thread