Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
as long as everyone present realizes "economic anxiety" is a euphemism for blatant racism that is being downplayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

What exactly goes in a USPOL thread that isn't already a heavy crossover with the Trump thread?

heavy crossover with the dems thread, apparently

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Am I missing something about Joy Reid?
She's an MSNBC talking head. Why should people give a poo poo about her views more so than Wolf Blitzer or Maddow.

the chapo crowd is absolutely loving obsessed with her.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gyges posted:

I just don't understand why so many people are desperate to live side by side with Nazis.

in this case, his career consists entirely of concern trolling people critical of anti-semitism and homophobia/transphobia. if he were to admit that they are actually problems, he'd be out of a job.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Montana isnt at-will, how exactly does hire/fire work?

hiring works like anywhere in the US. the difference is the Wrongful Discharge from Employment Act. after a probation period (usually 6mo), you can only terminate employees for good cause. what constitutes "good cause" is most of WDEA; the short version is the employer has to show that the employee violated listed written rules.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
"Right to fire" presupposes that there is or should be one. Don't say that the law you want to get rid of is protecting someone's rights!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've been looking to find more information on what South Dakota may be doing with this and other than this somewhat questionable Reddit post I haven't found anything else. Anyone else have any luck?

A local paper reported on this plan when it was proposed.

The /r/legaladvice post blew up when Zerohedge and Chapo Trap House both saw it - if you want to dig through the noise, there might be more info in their forums and discussions.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

thats neat

How has the business lobby not killed the WDEA yet? Does the law have any actual teeth?

not really. the law doesn't require an employer to prove good cause, just reasonable belief of good cause. it's really hard to win a lawsuit under it, damages are limited by statute and can be as little as zero if the employer gets a comparable job, and there's basically no enforcement other than employees filing suit.

also, it's montana. it has more bears than people.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
stop blathering about iq

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
stop calling things which are bad "Freedom" or "Rights" you hopelessly dumb clowns

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

You say it's a "dire threat to our country and our way of life", but so far, all Putin seems to really want is for Russian billionaires to be treated with the same slap-on-the-wrist mentality American billionaires are treated with. Letting rich people get away with murder is as American as apple pie and Klan marches.

i mean this right here is a pretty good leftist reason to think cozying up to a foreign oligarch is bad

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
especially an oligarch who has a how-to guide for making things an even worse kleptocratic shithole and practical experience doing it

if real life hands you a cartoonishly evil walking example of how capitalism is evil, why not run with it?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
pretend like that last sentence was rewritten to sound less dumb

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i admit i am a russian agent but posting on SA isn't on the clock

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is that cozying up to oligarchs is bad in general. Is Trump letting foreign CEOs write his foreign policy really that much worse than Obama letting domestic health insurance CEOs write his insurance regulation bill?

yes, it is

one of those things is worse than the status quo, and one of them is better than the pre-existing status quo and is a failure in the sense that it isn't a sufficient improvement

liberals suck, obama sucks, but it is clearly possible to suck more than that

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

So, between Russia and Israel, which exerts the greater influence on our current foreign policy? And why is one considered an imminent national security threat by Democrats and the other, if you mention it at all, you don't get to be a Democrat anymore?

pro-israel sentiment can be attributed to a bipartisan and entirely american coalition of conservative christians and american jews (combined with good old-fashioned american pro-segregation sentiment and apartheid apologia), while the russian-american diaspora is not large or particularly politically active and as likely to be "yeah gently caress putin and his cronies" as anyone

one group votes, the other doesn't

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I dunno, Trump's foreign policy is probably one of the few places where he's not noticeably worse than other presidents (though even his most horrific domestic policies aren't that much worse than his predecessors). I mean, sure, he's giving the military free reign in the Middle East and tearing up the Iran deal, which are definitely worse than before. But on the other hand, the fact that he's even willing to talk about de-escalation with North Korea and Russia is a breakthrough not seen since the 90s, and the fact that liberals fought him so hard on it is downright disgusting. His corrupt ties with Saudi billionaires have done a lot more to gently caress up his foreign policy than his corrupt ties with Russian billionaires.

don't forget the trade war with everyone

as for deescalation with russia, rapprochement with russia was one of obama's foreign policy goals until russia invaded crimea. it wasn't even that long ago

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

If a party is so weak that it consistently has to rely on a voting block of less than one percent in order to win, then maybe said party needs some serious reforms instead of a serious sense of entitlement?

this is the same argument used to handwave away gerrymandering and voter suppression, though

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

hobotrashcanfires posted:

If you really think about it, the benefits of genuinely fighting against gerrymandering and voter suppression and to be seen to be doing so are more or less the same as screaming at people who's votes you feel you are owed and blaming Ralph Nader Bernie Sanders, Jill Stein, and Susan Sarandon for Bush Putin's Puppet Trump and the Republicans stealing the election in 2000 2016.

e: whoops wrong decade of blaming third party voters stupidly, sorry

embracing the "system is good, no problems" pov is as dumb as yelling at greens for not voting for democrats. the problem is structural. preferential voting and other non-FPTP systems get the green voters who'd prefer a dem onside without haranguing or disenfranchising them

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

hobotrashcanfires posted:

I'm curious who exactly you think is embracing "system is good, no problems", if not the democratic party?

here are two very compatible statements:

democrats are bad

do not use boring pro-status-quo arguments to punch left

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
ellison's in trouble and it seems like he deserves it

https://twitter.com/debrahilstrom/status/1028465374432514053

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Condiv posted:

any non-fox news source on this?

it quotes a named person on the record and local fox stations generally don't have anything to do with the Fox News cable station

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

:thunk:

almost as if there's some sort of double standard or something

it's almost as if the former directly resulted in the kleptocracy that runs russia today

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Bernie will probably have it in the bag at that point. Economic justice is his whole deal and nobody will be in the mood for capitalist incrementalism two months after they lost their job and watched their 401k tank for the second time in their lives.

sanders is old

this is not a matter of whether people will vote for someone as old as him - although that will come up, it's an easy ratfuck - but whether he's willing and able to run in 2020 is by no means certain

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Radish posted:

Bernie's age is largely irrelevant when there's been an obvious push to build up support for Biden running. No one is actually going to care that would vote for him if he were younger. Also that's what a VP is for anyway.

i repeat, this is not a matter of whether people will vote for someone as old as him, but whether he's willing and able to run in 2020 is by no means certain. same goes for biden.

old people have this tendency to get sick and/or die

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's a significant wildcard when talking about all of these septuagenarians

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Hillary literally fainted while campaigning. Let's wait for Bernie to have a similar incident before we freak out about how we can't possibly elect old people.

you cannot elect them if they die or retire, that is all i am saying

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Trump is about as old as they are, and between the stress and reported diet Trump is far less likely to 'be able to run' in 2020.

"what happens in 2020 if trump has an aneurysm" is an interesting hypothetical to me too tbh. he is just much less likely than sanders, biden, etc. to decide to retire instead of going through the ordeal of running

VitalSigns posted:

Age concerns are just a red herring.

Biden could be a 300-year-old corpse reanimated by blah blah blah

nobody is arguing "what if biden is too old to win," but rather "what if biden is too old to try"

what do things look like if biden and/or sanders take themselves out of the running

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 22, 2018

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

extremely real and not fake site usatoday-go.com, lol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

No it actually was a respectable gun rights organization until they had a leadership coup in the '70s. Gun safety, conservation efforts for hunting areas, stuff like that.

you forgot "supporting heavily racialized gun control in response to fears about both non-white criminals and black and chicano nationalism," something they've been doing since the 30s. the shift in the 70s purged a lot of the causes where they overlapped with left-leaning pols (especially the environmentalism) but the nra has always been focused on keeping guns in the hands of "respectable" (white) owners

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
death comes for us all

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sneakster posted:

If you think about, being a single mother is a form of child abuse

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Try reading the post

it's a real bad post in a series of real bad posts

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Radish posted:

Biden winning is probably the worst thing that can happen short of Hillary running again and deciding she needs to poison the primary a third time.

i mean there's cuomo, bloomberg, or emmanuel, just off the top of my head. booker is definitely running, and delaney has already declared his candidacy (although he's almost certainly doomed). biden would be awful but there's no shortage of unlikeable ghouls to his right in the democratic party.

as always, any biden (or sanders or clinton) talk should be tempered with the very real issue that septuagenarians are prone to suddenly becoming too sick or dead to run.

e: oh god, imagine the DNC lining up behind someone like tim kaine

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 2, 2018

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not sure I'd characterize Booker as to Biden's right.

booker is heavily in bed with banks, even moreso than biden

he is more likeable i guess though

e: to put a finer point on this, booker generally supports the privatization of retirement funds and the shift from guaranteed benefit to guaranteed contribution, which has made private equity funds extremely rich but also enabled both complete economic apocalypse and the erosion of pensions in general. he's earned his "neoliberal" label by consistently siding with the people profiteering on retirement funds over people who hope to retire.

biden has a host of problems but booker is an enthusiastic proponent of one of the main right wing political terraforming projects of the last four-ish decades

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 2, 2018

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

huh, I didn't know this. Originally I had written more, I had said that I thought the two were basically par, but yeah that's pretty poo poo.

it's a problem with pretty much anyone who is in deep with trade unions. the guaranteed contribution/private equity model also gives union leaders a shitload of leverage, in how they invest their pension fund.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there's a real risk that an emmanuel or cuomo (or someone similar but lesser-known, like steve bullock, terry mcauliffe, or john hickenlooper) ends up the establishment front-runner in a situation where someone like biden clears the decks but then withdraws

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
his own voter base likes the fact that he's a centrist who's willing to compromise

manchin sucks and his voters suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

So they can vote for a Republican. It's better to have an enemy who isn't afraid to show his colors than an enemy poised to strangle "his" party from inside by holding it hostage and sabotaging it at every turn.

i agree, but the idea that this discourages his voter base doesn't strike me as realistic

• Locked thread