Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'd consider myself a huge Trekkie and I'm still enjoying the show.

I love how Voq speaks as well, it's hilarious. His voice is so absolutely bizzare, I can't think of anyone who sounds like him. It's a bit like the Bane voice from Dark Knight Rises.

I also like everyone on the crew and don't understand the people hating the liuetenant or Michael's roommate. They're nice and the complaining about them arguing all the time seems bizzare.

But the new Klingons are rubbish. The spikey costumes look stupid and the new ships look stupid as well. It does remind me of JJ Trek to a degree with that. I'm totally fine with updating looks because technology is better. So make the Klingon makeup more extreme and have them all speak Klingon all the time. That's good and I like it. But to completely and utterly change how they are (as others have said) you might as well just go for another race.
It being a prequel is poo poo too since it means we know for sure the spore drive fails at some point. Sure it's the journey rather than the end point that really matters but it still means they don't have a lot of room to do stuff.
I think the holographic communicator stuff is a bit stupid because TOS doesn't have it and it was such a huge deal when they had it for that one episode of DS9. I get why they've made the choice but I can't say I agree with it.

Like someone else said I wish there was more connection between this show and other Star Trek series, visually. So far there really isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

eyebeem posted:

I am really digging DIS. I hope they keep up with the out there ideas. That's what Star Trek was always about. The Universe has some loving weird rear end poo poo in it, and it's loving cool.

I don't care about what makes it "Star Trek". I'm enjoying the show even at the breakneck pace they're throwing it at us.

But I still don't like the Klingons.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SpaceCommie posted:

I was hoping the reason the Klingons interpreted "We come in peace" as hostile was because peace is the opposite of Klingon culture. To T'Kuvma coming in peace would mean wanting to destroy what it means to be Klingon.

T'Kuvma says that explicitly in the first (or second, maybe) episode. The motivation of the Klingons is the root beer conversation from DS9 writ large, they're not just randomly attacking people.
It's also something that comes up in Way of the Warrior, but the way the old Klingons dealt with it worked better I think. They're viking berserkers and Discovery ones are like Janissaries.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I hope instead of ending with the spore network technology being destroyed/abandonded/rendered useless, it somehow allows for a second season about the ship exploring all kinds of new parts of the universe. Like maybe they go on a deeply classified exploration of Andromeda or something. Maybe there are whole arcs about them getting stuck in far flung situations which don't conflict with canon because of how remote they are.

Admittedly wishful thinking.

So far the show feels like it was meant to be a one off. I know the original idea was to be a bit like True Detectives where each series is self contained.
I don't know how they'll carry this on, it just doesn't feel like it'll work.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

xerxus posted:

I feel like you might have deliberately read everything wrong.

What's up with their reading? It seems pretty on the nose to me.

I think when people are saying it's Grimdark they're saying that normally star trek is much jollier than this. I'm not saying the show has to be the Orville but DS9 managed to do a serial show and not have everything be opressive and unpleasant. I like the characters and don't understand people saying Tilly or Burnham are horrible, but the atmosphere of the show feels like the Enterprise on "Yesterday's Enterprise".

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drone posted:

So what if, instead of being destroyed in the war, Lorca blew up the Buran and escaped because the crew tried to mutiny? I mean, it is highly unusual that our overly-militaristic and unhinged captain was somehow the only survivor.

It bothers me that Tyler didn't at least ask about that. The situation where only the captain escapes and blows up the ship as well seems so insane that you'd HAVE to ask something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

spidjod posted:

I honestly dont understand how people cant see the overall ‘federation is in a dark place and finds its way’ story developing.

I mean, theres a clue in the name of the show and everything.

The show isn't giving us that idea though because all we ever see is the Discovery. There are no fleet engagements, there are no other ships. There's JUST discovery.
Maybe if we saw more. DS9 makes the war feel "real" but Discovery so far really hasn't.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Decius posted:

We have seen a fleet engagement and pretty sure we have seen other ships and were on board of other ships.

Only in the first two episodes. When the war started. We've not had anything since then - unless you count the totally deserted Glen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drone posted:

Five episodes ago there was a big space battle with a ton of different ship configurations. Like three-four episodes ago we saw the Glenn, and this week's episode has the Admiral show up in her cruiser (that we never see but I'm just gonna headcanon that it's a Constitution-class).

It's a really dumb metric to judge a show by that is literally only 6 episodes in.

Five episodes ago the war started and that's at LEAST six months ago.
If people are saying this show is representing the Federation's ideals falling apart because the war is cutting so deeply then at least show it. Because they definitely haven't done that so far. It's six episodes in yes but it's six episodes of showing the effects of something we haven't actually seen at all.

If you're going to make the captain evil but give him tons of leeway to be evil then show us why he's allowed to do this. The federation is on the verge of defeat in DS9 but they still wouldn't have let Sisko get away with what he does in "In The Pale Moonlight" if they had found out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ventana posted:

Well, for starters, it is necessarily assuming that we're supposed to be looking at Lorca's decisions on the Discovery as good things. Even though the show cannot scream aloud enough on it's own that Lorca is super hosed up and is not doing good things.

I don't agree that the reading is saying what Lorca/Burnham/etc do is good.
I'm reading it through the lense that I'm viewing the show. That is we're seeing all these people do bad stuff because they "have to" but the show isn't showing us why they have to.

We've seen serialised Trek in much of what happens in DS9 and I guess what I was expecting was stuff like that. If someone goes against Federation morality give us a proper idea why. And "Well actually he's from the mirror universe" is a boring poo poo reason. Maybe if he was from the post TOS mirror universe where Klingons opress their people, but just "He's an evil guy because he's from the evil world"? Meh.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah this is whats disappointed me about the spore drive. I don't give a poo poo how it works its no sillier than a million trek things, but they wrote themselves into a corner. They have this almost magical tech, yet every single instance of its use could have been done with a regular warp drive as far as the plot is concerned. Instant travel wasn't necessary to do any of their plots.

This is part of what I'm getting at. There's a big war and we have a ship that can teleport whenever wherever and yet we've not really seen poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

I'm starting to think that instead of wasting two episodes on Burnham on the Shenzhou, we should have gotten an episode or two of Lorca on the Buran. Seeing him as a functional officer with a crew he cares about would have made the change in him mean something, rather than just being told he's different.

He would be the main character then, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Unfetered One posted:

I will admit I have read none of this thread, my starting point is my first post, so I have to ask has it been really that badly received? I really do think it is highly enjoyable and I love the fact the Captain is suffering with PTSD and has a sketchy background.
Seeing Dwight from the office took me out of it a little as I spent way too long trying to figure out where I had seen him before.

Since when have people been allowed to say they haven't read any of the thread?

Also that's what IMDB is for, pause it and check!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

misguided rage posted:

Nah that sort of thing's been done. I liked the concept of a groundhog day episode from the perspective of someone not doing the groundhogging.

I was saying this when the episode finished - it's interesting to do a groundhog day episode from the perspective of a person outside of the loop.

I did enjoy it but I don't get how the stuff Tilly and Burnham discovered in the penultimate loop was given to Stamets because Mudd had him.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

marktheando posted:

I’m well jealous of people who dont have to scramble to stop After Trek from playing at the end of each Disco ep.

Yes, seriously. Who would ever want to watch that rubbish, especially in 4 seconds.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

blastron posted:

Why did the call for Burnham and Tyler to come to the bridge come so much later in the loop where they dance? It came within seconds in other loops.
:goonsay:

Every time it was a bit different when they got called to the bridge. They said different stuff and etc even before Stamets came into it.
That fitted okay to me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

To me TOS isn't star trek. The movies, TNG and DS9 are.
I barely remember the Mudd episodes and I can't really see that there's many people watching going "Oh my god, Harry Mudd!!".

I've seen them, of course, but even after a recent rewatch I don't paticularly remember the Mudd stuff. I don't get why they decided to bring him back.

quote:

I mean, ultimately we all know that the Discovery is pretty much destined to blow up and all of the spore drive nonsense research completely abandoned.
I hate prequels. Really. It just gets rid of so much storytelling potential.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drone posted:

This is totally fine.

I've also seen the theories flying around that Discovery actually takes place in the Mirror Universe, which seems real dumb. Or that the Spore Drive somehow fucks up and the ship pulls a Voyager and is sent far away where no one has gone before with no possibility of return. A sort of Voyager Reboot.

It's definitely not in the mirror universe. Although they've said they're going to have something from there so Lorca (as said before) might be.

The spore drive stuff only fitted when the rumours were saying the show was an anthology. Now it's not I just don't get what's going to happen. Will the drive be gone at the end of this series or is it a multi series thing? I know we don't know the answer there yet but it doesn't seem like a show that's going to run and run, rather one that's going to end.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Michael must self destruct the spore drive to save reality. This causes a multidimensional tachyon wave collapse that makes the ship and her disappear from history. This also has the side effect of making the Klingons look completely different and make Star Fleet have regulation mini dresses for some reason.

I'm going to say the replicator stuff from TOS and the outfits from TOS don't matter much to me. Nearly everything in there isn't canon any more anyway.

The klingons not being viking warriors is pretty boring though. What could possibly tie the spore drive in with them and "fix" them? Who knows.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I just can't see what reason they had for setting this show before TOS other than them thinking Spock and etc are the only popular things about Star Trek. Every other thing makes a SHITLOAD more sense to be post DS9 at least.

The spore drive would be more of a question mark, the Klingons are potentially on the cusp of joining the Federation and T'kuvma could fit that into what he's doing much better. And ISIS for Klingons would fit too.
It's such a loving stupid choice.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm enjoying the show enough so far. Its better than voyager at the moment, and the production value is top notch, but this obsession with TOS is starting to bother me. Honestly who outside of like, 60 year old boomers are THAT interested in the TOS stuff? It feels like they want to pretend everything post TOS never happened, when thats like, what the majority of people are nostalgic for and grew up on at this point. I couldn't give less of a gently caress about Harry Mudd if you paid me. Everything would be amazing if this was post voyager.

I'd say you're wrong here. To most people Star Trek is TOS and the movies. I get why they'd pick it. More people know who Kirk and Spock are than know who Picard and Riker are.
They want to appeal to the "common man" which I guess is fine. But it's still a rubbish choice and I hate it.

That isn't to say I'm not enjoying the show because I am! I just wish it wasn't a foregone conclusion.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I feel like this is common wisdom and therefore likely wrong. In the key demo it's almost certainly wrong just because of age.

I know it's anecdotal but as a 30 year old most of my peers would only know Kirk and Spock.

There's a gameshow called Pointless where you have to try and get the answer none of the 100 people surveyed knew - in that Kirk and Spock are almost always super high whereas anything from any other Star Trek is low. Super low. It's usually pretty representative as well.
That's the UK so it might not be true of the US, but still.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

You should give the rest a shot, each episode has gotten better than the last, and the pilot is so far and away worse than every other single episode of it so far that I kind of wish it didn't exist.

Yea, episode 4 was really good, not just "Good even though it's Seth" but actually good. The upvote/downvote episode is the only one I've just not liked and that's only because he's got "stereotypical American black guy" as one of his characters.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

skasion posted:

Stamets could be traveling to the mirror universe or something, which would indeed be a really funny and even good explanation for why he refers to Tilly as captain, but my thought when i watched the episode was that he has come “unstuck in time” as it were and sees Tilly momentarily as captain because someday she will be (as she has said she intends) and he’s been then and seen that.

This is what I thought too. The Mudd episode already showed us he's unstuck in time after all.

Also the klingons having a second layer of nostril and seeing their lips move underneath their mask is really lovely, it takes me out of it altogether. I just really don't like these guys, they're not Klingons. Their horrendously ugly ships don't help. It almost feels like it's spoiling future Star Treks but I guess they'll "make it okay later" so whatever.

The guy who posted about the universe feeling bitty, like it doesn't connect to the larger star fleet is just totally spot on. The Orville does a nice job of making it feel like they're part of a larger whole and I don't get that in Discovery, at least not yet. It's like other stuff only exists on the perepherals.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

skasion posted:

You know something interesting about this show? All the major characters on the Disco seem to be Americans except Saru. Lorca is a southerner, Tyler’s from Seattle, Tilly, Stamets, Culber, Burnham are just generally American. A couple of the minor bridge crew could be from elsewhere (Owosekun for example) but the Disco crew that we focus on specifically don’t have even a slightly international character.

It's especially weird when Jason Isaacs and Clem Fandango are from the UK.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

And More posted:

It has got something to do with Voq's actor Javid Iqbal being obviously fake, which leads people to believe that he's probably actually played by Shazad Latif.

And that Shazad Latif's original surname was Shazad Iqbal as well as the fact that Shazad was originally cast as Klingon.
He's Voq, he is.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

cjg posted:

So actor gets shifted around to a different role and people assume characters are undercover. Got it.

The actor who plays the klingon isn't at any cast meetings, has no interviews and no other credits on IMDB.
When Latif is asked about it he's evasive and a bit weird (see his radio times interview).

I dunno, what more proof do you need?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Looks like the return date for DIS is going to be January 7th, and they've released some info on episode 10:

Yet more things where something terrible is happening but because we're so hyper focused on the Discovery they never give a proper view of the whole war. It feels like it's just small skirmishes between ships and that's it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

So the entire federation has been trying to get a solution to the cloaking device issue. But these guys have it solved in ten minutes?

I know they have access to the spore drive so it's a bit different but that was so peculiar. "In three hours, solve this huge issue".

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But that and the huge loud discovery sensors on the Klingon ship were a bit much.
How did they not hear her communicator translating stuff mega loudly too?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

CoolCab posted:

Militaristic Starfleet officer, desperate and warlike captain, brutal worldview, hatred and fear of Klingons - almost like he’s fought a losing war against them. Yesterday’s Enterprise universe, surely.

Yesterday's Enterprise point of divergence hasn't happened yet. That's ages away.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Well said.

I appreciate the cinematic nature of the show, think it looks gorgeous, with great acting and characters that are growing on me. I'm in increasingly invested in the stories. I dig some of the trippier aspects of the show that have emerged. Now if it would have something more of value to actually say, we'd really be in business.

I'd say that until this cliffhanger I had no real rush to see the next episode. That isn't meaning that it's bad but it hasn't done anything super exciting and there are too many bits in other episodes that annoy me. There's no excuse for the whole L'rell faff in the penultimate episode.
Now I'm really curious what's going to happen next so I hope that it stays this way!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I enjoyed it. It was campy and I was looking forward to what happened next, which was good!
It still feels really 24 though. Thankfully like someone said earlier that fits really well in the mirror universe.

The show seems so much like it's set up as an anthology though. I know that was floated originally but it has all these things that are slowly being revealed. How will it work next season? It'd be nice to actually see and feel the klingon war happening as it's so disconnected from everything right now. Even in the mirror universe the Shenzou was able to talk to them from wherever it was and turn up really fast.
It makes the galaxy feel small as hell.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Voq thing and Jason Isaacs being a mirror universe guy are the biggest indicators that this is the original story from when they wanted it to be an anthology.
They can't really drag it out, Stamets isn't going to carry on jumping...just what will series 2 of this ential?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think the hints are a little too pointed at Georgieau as the Empress, though I do like this. I'd split the difference on the prediction, though, I see freedom fighter Lorca rescues Voq in order to unify the mirror Klingons against the Terrans.

The terrans don't get defeated until after Spock makes them peaceful, so you've got a long time left yet. Voq uniting them wouldn't really help as he's still got like 20 years left before that stuff comes to fruition.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

marktheando posted:

Love it when people complain about this show not being proper Trek and all the complaints are about things old Trek did too.

TNG and DS9 never had security cameras either. Trouble with Tribbles had a Klingon disguised as a human. Sisko did tons of war crimes in DS9. TNG had the lamest parties.

Trouble With Tribbles didn't specifically say that they'd scanned the person and missed that he was a Klingon. Discovery is hanging a lantern on things and making it feel even worse!
Plus when it's a one off episode it's easier to just go "Oh well that episode was dumb". When it's a fragment of a 12 episode serial it's less good.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 14, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm going to say that I absolutely love Voq's voice when he's speaking Klingon. It's hilarious. I know it's not meant to be but I really like how it sounds. So I liked that.

It was still a silly episode though. I know it's sort of what the mirror universe is all about but how did the Discovery beam Voq on board? And as others have said why didn't Sarek mind meld with Shazad when he was lying on the floor? It just felt off.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drone posted:

5.) The ship's registry is NCC-1031. People were all over this when the series was first premiering.

Didn't they say this is because they love halloween?

Not that I'm discounting any of the rest, just that one.

And yea all these reveals (as The Bloop said) fit so much in the idea of an anthology than in a normal serial series.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

I forgot who said that the Emperor's ship, the ISS Charon, is the very rough Mirror counterpart to the Klingons' Sarcophagus.

They're both flagships. And they both have names related to ships of the dead.

Maybe it's a stretch.

I'm going to say that it's because whoever is designing ships for discovery is really bad at it. All the new ship designs are ugly as sin and share lots of features.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It feels like they've gone "Star Fleet sheeps have to look like this" and been forced to keep to a specific design.
But with the Klingons and the Mirror Universe flagship they've been allowed to just do whatever. And it's turned out poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The stakes in this episode were loving ridiculous. If they don't blow it up then the Terran Empire will accidentally destroy the whole universe?

Like I'm fine with the mushroom drive because it's not too hard to hide that it existed. But that it powers the whole universe? Come on!

And to time travel (I guess) in the final two episodes is a bit mad.