Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I have an idea for a playthrough as Good Guy Malekith. I'm going to try to make friends with the High Elves, bring Morathi to heel, unify Naggarond and then play mostly defense while sending out armies to crush Skaven and Chaos. I might even free the slaves.

It will be a redemption arc for the ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Randarkman posted:

You'll still be running around with armies of bleakswords and dreadspears and painblades and shadowsongs and murderballads.

That's just enemy propaganda.

My BLISSWORDS and DADSPEARS are going to save the world.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Anyone know if they have Charge Defence too?

They do.

I watched a video today of some Cold One Knights charging them and the Knights hit them and just stopped. Then they died.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Innerguard posted:

How hard is Morathi's start, really?

I've seen the Hydra get 150 kills with one breath attack. It's nuts.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Davincie posted:

wtf, i was winning a tough battle when suddenly all my guys started melee charging the enemy, is that a dark elf spell or something, it killed my top tier archer stack

You're playing High Elves I assume? They may have run out of ammo, after which clicking them to attack makes them run in. Witch Elves do have the ability to make troops rampage but unless they were already attacking them in melee it wouldn't trigger.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Teclis is being a total dumbass in my Tyrion campaign. He expanded up and down but never bothered defending his home province so Xeti and the Bloodhall Coven (which he never bothered actually finishing and both came back from 1 town to curbstomp him) took everything and now Skrolk is making GBS threads on his northern territory with 4 stacks while a single Grey Seer is sacking all his south stuff. He just kept running forward while everything behind him vanished. I probably can't save him either.

Stick to yer book-learnings ya nerd!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I got a Heroic Victory yesterday with a tier 2 garrison because Skeggi is still using the pre-Norsca build of horse archers, chariots and trolls. It was kind of nostalgic but it was a reminder of how poo poo their roster is atm.

The Noble was fantastic. Just making GBS threads on trolls and chariots. I love that change.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If you are an elf would you really call them "elfservants"? Wouldn't they just be servants?

Do they call everything "elfsomething"? Do they have elfbuilders and elfcaterers and elfspikemakers?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Reducing the upkeep cost for fielding additional armies might be a good mod idea for Skaven, though that may wreck balance and their stacks usually cost a pittance anyway.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

oswald ownenstein posted:

If you like MP just stay away from playing HE until there's a balance patch

Lizardmen with solar engine spam and DE...anything just destroy them

You can't even counter build DE because they can do lots of different builds. With Elf rampage poison is beyond dumb, Death Hag is OP as poo poo, both HE legendary lords are bleh (Teclis would probably be good if HE could field a competent wide army but you're stuck going elite infantry), HE missiles are garbage but DE missiles have AP

It's just a mess now that the meta is shaking out

Invicta just posted a match with an interesting HE build. 4 Dragon Princes with Teclis for nets with a mix of White Lions, Archers and Spearmen core.

It seemed pretty strong if you can micro well.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I'm invading Naggaroth now in my Tyrion campaign. Me and Jabba the Toad are wrecking our way through their territory and yet I haven't seen Malekith all game. 111 turns in and yet not a single sighting. He seems to just be hiding in a corner somewhere.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

dark elves rule

you can work your way up for peasant to lord and get a kick rear end last name

high elf lords are all frail and ill unless they have enough intrigue to lie about it

On the other hand you can buy Mages with nearly 600 weapon strength and go Gandalf on Malekith's rear end (if he stops hiding like a baby).

Also Alistar is the secret 3rd HE LL and he is my friend.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, there should be ritual resource sharing. AI Malekith and Tyrion both love sniping resource sites that Morathi and Teclis could use, and you have no choice but to attack them or go without. Chaos sacked Vaul's Anvil in my Morathi game and even though I beat them back, Malekith stole the ruins so now I'm invading Lustria to get the site there at Tlaxtlan or whatever. I've gotta take my rage out on Mazdamundi cuz Mal is my only friend.

Wait, there isn't? I thought there must be because Mazdamundi is barely trailing behind me and I have 4 sites to his 1 and twice the territory as him, while Kroq-Gar has 2 or 3. Also Queek was down to 1 settlement and he wasn't that far behind everyone until he failed 2 rituals in a row, while Skrolk was steamrolling.

Maybe the AI gets it but you don't. I can't tell because my games Teclis was useless until I confederated him and fled Lustria like a whipped puppy.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

JimmyT64 posted:

Fun fact - you also can't build siege towers/battering rams when besieging the gates.

Or at least my co-op partner couldn't. Seems like the flag for if gates have walls is bugged.

I think that's just their thing. The elf gates won't let you bring siege engines so you have to fight it out. It's meant to be harder because these gates are impregnable in the lore or something.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So if a Skink Chief runs out and assassinates one of my dudes is there any reason to reload the autosave or is it already locked in as suceeding every time?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, I was bouncing between WH 1 & 2 to compare and it looks like Swordmasters might beat any non-RoR infantry in either game in a 1 on 1 fight. IIRC Hammerers were the only ones I was unsure about.

For all people are saying that HE suck, they have the strongest infantry in the game, the strongest cav, the strongest magic (Teclis + Loremasters are both incredibly good imo), the strongest monster and seaboys. Also I think a Prince on a Star Dragon is only really rivalled by Kroq-Gar in a 1 on 1 fight.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah I only just started spamming steal tech as I'm doing the final ritual as Tyrion and it would have been crazy if I was doing this all game. But tbf a lot of HE tech isn't that useful because I don't use Spearmen, Reavers or Eagles and I didn't want to piss off my fellow HE neighbours so meh.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If we're spitballing, what about Chaos/Norsca?

Tzeentch - The tech you're currently researching instantly completes, increased agents action chance and experience.

Nurgle - Huge replenishment boost and attrition in provinces your armies occupy/your provinces/ruins? Or perhaps your armies inflict disease with attacks.

Khorne - Lords and Heroes get stat boosts, everything gets frenzy, boost to experience earned. Maybe enemy armies/both your armies suffer a -10% physical damage save.

Slannesh - Maybe an ability that inflicts rampage like the Madness of Khaine. Maybe a ward save boost? Sigvald writes you a poem?

Also for Norsca I like the idea of summoning an army of trolls/monsters/mammoths.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 12, 2017

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's because elves are better than you.

(they're special gates so you don't get siege stuff for them and they take ages to move through even if you own them)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

sassassin posted:

I'm playing as Tyrion and attacking the dark elf shits from inside the special gate.

This is dumb as hell. Can a non-Nazi modder sort this out, please.

Yeah, I also did Tyrion and those guys lasted until the final ritual for me because gently caress trying to take it without an endgame stack. The gate goes both ways unfortunately. They're made to be impregnable.

I think they get a special summoning ability too btw. The HE's get Eagles I know. Not sure about DE's.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Magni posted:

I kept the New world Colonies as allies and let them take over the salted ruins after I wiped that Dark Elf faction off the map. I also actually let them have Skeggi (after I razed it), but rushed to block them from expanding south or west. The end result was they built a workable little empire of their own expanding northwards, and quickly became a great buffer state for me, and really hosed the Dark Elves.

You go on making Maz proud, you little warmblood shits, and he might actually start to genuinely like you. :allears:

They just invited me to go to war with the orcs then peaced out on the same turn. I think I might need to reevaluate their place in the great plan.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So here's a question I was wondering about: How do they Skaven Lords end up in the campaign? I know that all the other LL's become crazy powerful but I haven't heard much hype for Queek becoming the best duelist ever or Skrolk becoming a magic powerhouse.

Is the lack of mounts noticeably crippling?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Party Elite put out a very good Araby ideas video. In spite of her name, I think Jasmine Silverveil sounds like a pretty dang cool LL, always up for more ladies. I think her and the Golden Magus sound like solid picks. Maybe have him start out down in those desert areas near Teclis and have him focused on making money or something while Jasmine is focused on uniting Araby. Maybe you could have the Great Sultan and have him carried around on a palanquin kind of like Thorgrim and his bodygaurds do all the actual fighting while he buffs nearby troops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfkTSpLY2XU

The big problem with Araby is that I think CA said they wanted every new faction to start with 4 LL's which sounds kind of insane. B ut even without that they're pretty pressed for space with how compressed that part of the map is in the game.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

in the mean time, there is a pretty amazing Araby mod in the works for Warhammer 2, check out this showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL9NbuohIDk

Man, I'd forgotton that melee for older TW armies were usually literally just 3 different spear guys. I have no idea how they're ever going to go back from Warhammer. Nothing else even compares in terms of creativity and versatility.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Vargs posted:

Felt like Gone Home kinda jumped the shark when a bunch of Boyz invaded and ransacked the house in the final 1/4.

In fairness I felt they had some refreshingly progressive views on LGBTQ matters, it was just expressed poorly.

Orcs don't care about girl bits or boy bits. Because they're mushroom people or something.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Vargs posted:

I don't know why you would ever use warpfire throwers.

They look loving awesome, thats why.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Zore posted:

Lore of Life healing was nerfed across the board.

It hurt Bretonnia the worst since they don't have any other good lores of magic while everyone else does, or has a caster with combined lores.

I thought Heavens was good now. Maybe not top tier but you can gently caress some people up with comets and lightning, wind blast can wreck fodder and the buff/debuff spells are nice.

Or is it just that Teclis and Mazdamundi make it look good.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If you play as a Skaven are you explaining it as your Totally-A-Human just being :airquote: "abnormally hunched" :airquote: and :airquote: "sensitive to sunlight" :airquote: or are you rocking around with your Dwarf, Elf and Human friends out in the open.

I suppose you could just say you're a particularly ugly brettonian peasant.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Gejnor posted:

Day 3 of the Christmas Event that CA is doing seems to be a hint of some kind, possibly for their latest main game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03pEfZDWBgk

Skaven confirmed, boys!

I've been seeing some good Bretonnia plays recently. Mainly from the Gobbo King. I always seem to gravitate towards the weaker factions because OP bullshit isn't as fun as beating the odds so its nice to see Bretonnia doing well.

I think Tomb Kings are going to be very strong on release. The curses causing target-able rampage is going to be insane if not heavily balanced. And if the healing is what I think it is thats very strong.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Is Morathi's start position still poo poo in that you can't get trading deals for half the game? As I recall her capital was cut off due to rivers.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, I think starting armies don't get enough love. They can heavily effect critical turns. See Vlad vs Isabella. Isabella has objectively better campaign bonuses but Vlad's starting army basically lets you roll all of Sylvania vs Isabella's which is kinda poo poo. Blood Knights and extra Vargheists vs..... ghouls and ghouls?

She starts with 2 vamps though. You can murderstomp everything early with just Isabella and her girls.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 14, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I predict Khateps start is going to be fairly unfun until the Norsca fix. Though I suppose you could play full wanderer mode and focus on hunting the books. Just ignore the endless barbarian spam up north.

South Lustria is going to be such a goddamn knife-fight.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Okay, I have a few more questions:

Are there mods that scale back the army upkeep nerfs on higher difficulties? I'm taking a look at Malekith's "first Ulthuan, then the world" idea and it doesn't seem scaleable. I've got 12 armies at the moment and I'm at the point where two new armies would increase my upkeep by something like 20,000 gold a turn. I'm pretty sure that conquering half the planet would let me recruit like three new armies.

All the other evil factions are dead or dying, and Hexoatl is the only good faction that isn't part of a mega-alliance. Worse I am making 18,000 gold a turn on trade agreements with the mega-alliance. I own Naggaroth and Ulthuan and the Dwarves outrank me on the power bar at like 4:1. Has anyone completed a long campaign victory in ME on these conditions? Oh and Warriors of Chaos keep respawning and beelining for me.

There are a bunch of upkeep mods on Steam workshop. I'm using this one atm that caps the upkeep at 10% for Very Hard. Down from 15%. But there are others if you just search for upkeep in the workshop.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

One thing I do really like about vampire counts is how Ghorst can move quickly enough to reach anywhere in eastern and western Sylvania within a single turn if he has an embedded specter. That guy can really move. It is nice to not be as reliant on walls.

Ironically hes the slowest Lord in the game on his cart. :v:

Dude makes dwarves look like they're showing off.

Captain Mediocre posted:

It is absolutely always worthwhile to have a solo lord pooting around the sea for treasure, even on VH :confused:

They bring in an absolute fortune from treasure + trading partner discovery + factionwide buffs, there's not even any question about them costing more than they earn. When you end up with a large empire and 4-5 armies then you should have income sorted and by that point you can go ahead and disband them. I assumed everybody did this.

After you have a certain number of armies the upkeep makes it stop being worth it, but yeah. The Tomb Kings might be the reverse of that though, armies will be too limited to do that outside of late game most likely.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 21, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

JBP posted:

Do TKs ever get solid line infantry or are they always terrible? Grave guard are fairly good troops but I understand the equivalent are still poo poo for tks.

Tomb Guard have 40 less armor than Grave Guard but are quite substantially better in everything else except charge bonus and health, where they're equal. They also have a halberd variant instead of great weapons.

Its harder to heal them though, so they're probably going to be a bit less study overall.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, what exactly do Tomb Kings do against heavily armored elite halberds? only turn 50 but Malekith is pumping out entire infantry blocks of rank 5 Blackguards of Naggarond, the auto resolves are vastly in their favor and playing the battles out aren't any better.

Do I just want to ambush malekith with 3+ tomb king stacks and hope the blackguards reach their preset kill limit and shut down?

I got a truce out of him, but I feel like if he ever re-focuses on me, I should pack up everything and have khatep sail to the badlands to start fresh.

I hear that the Warsphinx actually does pretty well against them since with enough micro it just tosses them around too much for them to do anything.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

LLSix posted:

How are you supposed to use lightly armored killy units like Slayers, Swordmasters, and other two-handed weapon wielders? When I put my HE swordmasters on the flanks, the enemy archers focus fire them to death. When I put them in the middle of the line, they seem to die faster than even basic spears/swords and need rescuing.

The AI loves to focus fire strong units without shields, yeah. My advice would be staggering your line by putting them further back than your other troops. You don't need a perfect line. They'll start shooting at your better shielded units first and you'll have more time to take them out with your own archers, monsters, fliers or cav. They will still switch over to shooting them when they get into range though (but take time re-positioning), so you need to be proactively taking the archers out asap. It may even be worth keeping them in reserve until you do. Use spells or buffs too. Other than that you should just expect them to take heavy loses and factor that into your army compositions. I tend to favor shielded troops for this exact reason.

Slayers shouldn't be near the front lines though.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 30, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has anyone else noticed the auto resolves being a bit funky lately? I saw some screenshots of auto resolves of similar experiences lately.

Noticed a increase in having artillery picked off in auto resolves against inferior numbers or a friends case of a full dwarf stack with plenty of range firepower vs a 6 unit border prince garrison losing 50% of his army with some enemy crossbows getting 400+ kills, which wouldn't even be possible to do before running out on ammo against dwarf warriors.

Taking the time to play the battles out would result in barely any damage taken before the other side gets blown away out of range or routed.

I had the same thing happen to me with some Skinks getting 200 kills against an army of Tomb Guard and Constructs. Two full units of TG's (who have silver shields mind you) got wiped out by a skirmisher unit that literally doesn't have enough ammo to get that many kills. Something is seriously hosed with autoresolve atm.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

MPchat: I've played like 20 turns of a kroq gar campaign and never fought lizards in mp before

is it considered cool and balanced that he can instadelete my lord with his lizard claw beam? like Arhkan from more than half health-dead in .3 seconds

Hand of the Gods is (I think) the strongest missile ability in the game if it all hits and is pure fire damage. It was a very strong ability before but against Tomb Kings its ridiculously effective. TK's might need some way to deal with fire damage, it can screw them so hard. The ability itself is actually pretty tricky to use well in most cases, it just happens that all the TK's are weak against fire.

Kroq'Gar is pretty overpowered though. Lizardmen in general are probably the most powerful faction atm and can be total cancer to fight against.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 18, 2018

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Xae posted:

Confederating sucks as the player and you're better off just conquering everyone.

You usually need to have 2-3x as many provinces as the AI has regions and have been best buds with them with a full Alliance for a few dozen turns to be able to Confederate.

On the other hand confederating lets you skip having to pay for upgrades and buildings, especially since conquering a city takes it down a level.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here are some in universe quotes that describe the area pretty well.

Man, when a Bretonnian is bragging that their peasants are better you know your country is the absolute pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

It's really just nothing like the Warhammer 1 development cycle when they would clearly describe all of the DLC being released for the game. Take Call of the Beastmen, for example, CA announced it all the way back in July 2016, almost two whole weeks before that DLC was released. With Warhammer 2 we aren't getting poo poo other than the occasional "we will release a new DLC in one month" or "our next content release will be in May, followed by other projects."

Disgraceful.

Oh shut up. They hosed up royally with Norsca and ate humble pie because of it. Its pretty obvious they wouldn't want to bring more attention to the situation by talking about DLC when its had to be pushed back so badly.