Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Still can't decide who I want to play as first. Leaning either Tyrion or Skrolk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

60GB should leave you comfortable including patches and DLC. I think I read that earlier.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

littleorv posted:

when does this game unlock

1 day, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 22 seconds.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

madmac posted:

Honestly Skrolk just looks a lot better in general. Skrolk is this crazy strong Magic Rat with a bunch of unique powers and items and crap who's also kinda decent in melee, while Queek is just your extra-stabby generic Rat Lord except he can't ride any bigger rats.

Not to say Queek isn't worth taking for a spin but I don't think he'll get much play even in MP. [B]Life is tough out there for melee duelist lords without a mount.[/]

Salacious slander of Sigvald!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

:geno: Oh no. The Glittering Tower is under attack by two half-stacks of Sartosian Pirates while my armies are off defending ritual sites. All I have is the garrison.

Here they come. They might notice a slight drizzle. It's a kind of sideways rain we have here on Ulthuan.

You'd have to be pretty brave to walk over the corpses of 200 guys to try to reach my battle line.

Final result: 1200 vs 600. 50 dead on my part. Elven missile superiority feels good.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Getting upkeep reduction skills on lords and building defenses in my villages makes a big difference. I've almost kicked Malekith off Ulthuan now!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Some recent screenshots. I was frustrated and kind of iffy on the game for the first two days, but since I started racing every lord to get upkeep reduction skills and focus on improving settlement garrisons I've been having tons of fun! Now, I can expect an interesting battle every few turns, whereas in TWW1 I mostly autoresolved towards the end. (Very Hard difficulty)

The Supreme Spellshield quest battle got a lot easier once I got Malekith a dragon.

Here he is 40 turns later on the way to taking Lothern. With all his Unique items and a +30% ward save talisman, he's practically unkillable by archers. He just flew over them casting Dread Wind and Noxious Breath while everyone else walked. He ended up with 300 kills.

"Stop, that tickles!"

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Mazz posted:

Also, strangely enough, you know how settlement looks don't change by faction anymore when you take them over? It seems they forced them to stay the same type forever in a specific table. I could probably fix that but I wonder why they did it in the first place. It's a lot more work to make entries for every faction.

Thematic reasons, I guess. Lizardmen don't take well to living in the frozen wastes of Naggaroth, so they just put up their flags and keep a garrison to make the Dark Elves help with the Great Purpose at clubpoint. Dark Elves don't alter the architecture of Ulthuan too much when conquering because they see themselves as reclaiming their birthright, etc.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

LLSix posted:

I finally beat the War Crown of Saphery quest battle with VH Teclis. Sent a dragon to distract both groups of flanking rats. In the main fight, I had 4 spears, the phoenix, and the rest archers.
Archers focus fire dangerous things like plague monks, warpfire throwers, and their general. Phoenix flys up and down the line so the fear effect sends the rats running back away so archers can shoot them more.

Then the bats show up and things get dicey for awhile. Couldn't hardly see my lines for all the bats everywhere. Any archer's not distracted by lesser bats focus fire on that awful giant bat while the phoenix and a third dragon melee it. The archers do most of the damge, but the first time I tried I didn't bring a third dragon and the giant bat (terrorgheist?) killed Teclis in about 10 seconds flat.

I have no idea how to do this fight without dragons. You're just so massively outnumbered.

Dragons are great. My favorite screenshot so far: (spoilers for the final battle)

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Ahh. That was satisfying. Behold the Eternity King!

I noticed a few achievements not triggering for building landmarks. Also, Khemri doesn't have a built-in garrison for Dark Elves for some reason. Too spooky to move in to? Otherwise, I'm taking a break to bask in my VH victory for a week or so.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Yeah, by the end, I had 12 armies of elite troops, including Malekith's personal dragon squad. I was taking 2 settlements every turn.

I did the final ritual at 187. (I already conquered Naggaroth and Ulthuan by this time.)
I conquered the whole of Lustria by 250.
The Southlands were unified in turn 282 when Kroq-gar's capital and Primal Fury army fell.
I then took some turns finishing building landmarks for achievements and wiping out the rogue armies.

To my surprise, there was difficulty right up to the end. Karak Zorn was fielding stacks of ironbreakers and artillery and Kroq-gar took out Morathi with a blessed carnosaur. Also, the people of Araby wouldn't stop rebelling, no matter how many torture posts I built, until I stationed an army there full-time.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

God I missed blood effects. Look, Mazdamundi just opened a big jar of raspberry jam!

Is this a new effect? The Solar Engine Bastilidon blew a group of Dark Elves off the wall, leaving mostly bloody smears behind.

Also, wanted to mention my closest battle ever:

Staggered heals from the Revivification Crystal and Mazdamundi were able to barely keep my heavy hitters alive after I lured them all into the center. Lesson learned: fewer Temple Guard, more dinos.

P.S. In my campaign, The Cult of Pleasure confederated Naggaroth. So you could say Malekith moved back in with his mom! :)

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Not to mention the other benefits a mount provides. For example, I noticed that Skink Priests can get a Stegadon or Ancient Stegadon mount, which has much of the same armament as the units of the same name: skinks throwing spears from a platform plus a ballista or giant blowgun, respectively.

This means Lizardmen can have a single unit that's an artillery piece, a heavy-hitting close-range monster and a support spellcaster, which is incredibly useful.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 29, 2017

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

:stare:

That Wind spell from the Lore of Heavens, when overcasted, melts enemy infantry. Easily the most kills I've ever had by a single unit, and I'm only playing on medium unit size for now.

I wish I wasn't too amazed to take screenshots during the battle. It was just Kroq-gar on Grymloq, the skink priest on a stegadon, and the feral stegadon wading through a street lovely infantry. There were rats flying everywhere!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

I'm really feeling the lack of cavalry on any army that isn't Harkon's with Bess though, since deck droppers don't interrupt ranged fire and mournguls are actually kind of fragile and definitely slow. Bess makes it not matter by just deleting the ranged backline anyway.

My observation exactly. When I play Skaven, I sometimes use rat ogres as psuedo cavalry. I can't do that with vampire coast, since mournguls are fragile and hulks have terrible leadership.

My solution is to double up on artillery. 4-5 mortars plus a necrofex colossus or two will knock out any archers or artillery in a few volleys. It's not a perfect solution, since some artillery outranges yours (as I learned the hard way fighting a Tomb Kings army with several catapults), but, combined with magic, it works well enough.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Polling coming in from Reddit. Things aren't looking good for the High Elves!

https://www.strawpoll.me/20120380

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think they're leaning full bore into the order train because most of the players play order factions.

You literally have Kislev laying siege to the Brass Keep in the preview! You can't get more order tide than that!

I look forward to Eltharion locking Khorne up in prison and torturing him into being his slave.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

The fact that even Khorne's artillery are close-combat beasts is amazing.

I see there are already nerds on Reddit complaining that Soul Grinders are a 40k unit and don't fit in Fantasy.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

The interesting thing is that the blog post's language on Soul Grinders uses the word "Warp", when in Fantasy it's usually called "The Realm of Chaos". They're basically dropped whole from the 40k universe.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

edit:

quote:

Jabberslythe (Monster) – a powerful, horrifying fusion of toad, sludge-drake, and insect. Area of effect attacks, debuffs, and worth as much as a Charlemagne.
lol

I never heard of this before, so I looked it up. The joke has its origin in the original release of the Beastmen DLC for WH1. When asked why Beastmen didn't have their iconic monsters like ghorgons or jabberslythes, a CA employee responded by saying the cost of animating a jabberslythe would cost as much as the entire art budget for the Charlemagne DLC for Attila.

Now that they finally did it, I can see what they mean. Those animations look great.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Taylor Swift used to go on tour with a giant bell with "13" written on it in roman numerals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU5q2e6XH_A

So this song plays in my head every time I see a Skaven army.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

I dont know posted:

You can raze your existing herdstone and then place one in naggarond if you like. The bonus is something like +5 armor and +5 melee attack against dark elves faction wide. So it may not be worth the hassle.

The +5 armor, to be clear, is universal for all units in all armies, which is nice, but not game-changing.

The other unique herdstones are below. I like the dwarf one that give all units extra armor piercing damage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/odb90n/hey_reddit_want_to_see_some_unique_herdstones/

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Nurglings are also confirmed to be in which is interesting because they were a swarm unit on the tabletop. Swarm units are basically the one thing CA has refused to add so far.

I'm unclear on what Swarm means. Something all units in it deciding combat rolls collectively?

Regardless, there's no reason nurglings can't just be a unit with a ton of little guys in it, like goblins or skavenslaves.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Reddit's reaction to the chaos unit concept art:

"Nurglings got more rear end than daemonettes" :(

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Elspeth Von Draken is a popular choice for a new LL, as a caster on a flying monster is a role the Empire doesn’t have yet, and she goes thematically with the generic caster lords that they’re giving to every faction.

I’ve heard Boris Todbringer has a bunch of fanboys aching for his inclusion, but I don’t really see a place for him.. Despite being another melee guy, I think Valten would be a good candidate for a DLC guy to lead a crusade into the Realms of Chaos. Maybe he’s a legendary hero representing the Emperor’s favor. Maybe there’s some kind of dilemma in Immortal Empires regarding whether Valten or Karl gets to weird Ghal Maraz.

Kurt Helborg and Ludwig Schwarzhelm are basically part of Reikland.

Marius Leitdorf, Mad Count of Averland, had his own model and rules. They made sure to put his name onto the generic lord who leads the Averland faction.

Don't forget Emmanuelle von Liebwitz. Have her faction of Wissenland be all about huge cannons, bombs, and seduction. :heysexy:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It seems to me in Warhammer Fantasy novels Slaneesh and Tzeentch are the two most popular Chaos gods to use as villains or for cults. I don't think I've seen a singl Khorne cult in any of the books, and there were only 2 Nurgle worshippers, one in a short story, one in one of the Witch Hunter books.

That may be because they're the easiest cults to build a mystery around. A Nurgle cult is going to have every member weeping pus with flies buzzing around them, and I don't think Khorne even uses traditional cults: he's worshipped through combat.

It's been a while since I read any 40k books, but it's similar. I recall Ciaphas Cain fights Chaos a few times, but the only time they're major villains, they're Slaneesh or Undivided.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Archaon sucks

Hell yeah best snipe ever

Who do fans think sucks more: Archaon or Abaddon the Despoiler?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Ammanas posted:

i would really like more non-poo poo warhammer content, i liked astartes and would like to see more but 40k in general is a big eeeeeh no from me. warhammer fantasy tho is fuckin great

Have you ever played Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2? It's pretty great, it's got a turn-based campaign with real-time battles, like a Total War game with huge spaceships. Ork spaceships specialize in ramming, of course.

What's the recommended strategy for dealing with cavalry-heavy armies as Dwarfs? I ran into Nakai in my campaign and he had 8 horned ones in his army, and I had trouble avoiding getting my slow little guys flanked. The strategy that eventually won me the battle was forming my shielded melee into the rough, thin outline of a pentagon with archers and artillery in the center (most facing forwards) and great weapon melee reserve right behind the shields.

I took heavy losses though. I was thinking it might have been better to form my ranged into a line sandwiched between outward-facing melee.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

It's a shame to hear about the Oxyotl campaign being too long. I just finished Thorek's, and it was the perfect length, about 100 turns. Well-designed objectives all around, especially since, once your economy gets good, you can bribe factions into military alliances and get your artifacts that way.

The final battle was fun, too. Thorek got over a thousand kills.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

If CA ever do buff melee and nerf ranged, they have to call it "The Staunch Update".

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

jokes posted:

Yeah you have no idea how powerful a hellcannon is. It is always the most powerful unit in every chaos army that is smart enough to bring 1 or 5.

It might just feel that way because the relative paucity of ranged units in Warriors of Chaos.

You've got, one, guys on horses with javelins, two, guys on horses with throwing axes, and three, giant phallic cannon. Of course it'll feel great.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Sad, but understandable. At least we're getting Cathay reveal tomorrow.

Haha. I remember playing this years ago. It was janky and weird but enormously entertaining. I think I tried to invade the Tomb Kings with an army of orcs, but got stomped.

I like how getting married to a daemoness increases your reputation with the Empire. By Sigmar, no!

William Bear fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 13, 2021

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Cathay reveal makes me nostalgic for Jade Empire.

Mordja posted:

Tzeentch dudes just green goblining through everyone hell yeah

In Warhammer Online, the Magus class was a Tzeentch worshipper who was permanently on a disc. It was pretty cool.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the traditional pairings of enemies are khorne vs slaanesh (repressed gay vs liberated gay) and nurgle vs tzeentch (slob gay vs theatre gay)

I've never heard this interpretation before, but I like it. The four species of gay!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Eimi posted:

A giant terracotta statue of Guan Yu would be the best thing ever so I eagerly await the mod that ports his model over.

Imagine this thing coming to life and trying to kill you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Guan_Yu_(Jingzhou)

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Sinteres posted:

God specific corruption seems like a thing.

I noticed that, too. I wonder how it'll be mechanically different than regular Chaos Undivided corruption, which is still present.

Hopefully they'll have unique appearances on the map!

Khorne: Red spikes, blood and lava
Nurgle: Green goo, buzzing flies
Tzeentch: Blue and purple tentacles. Eyes
Slaanesh: I don't know, pink fleshy masses? Gaudy colors? It's hard to say how a region owned by Slaanesh changes.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Zzulu posted:

The crab claws suck and are just a holdover from the days when GW had no idea how to do Slaanesh and just made random monsters with tits.

The new look for slaanesh with all the elaborate armor, fancy dresses and excess suits the faction much better

One of my favorite things about The Evil Within 2 is that one of the villains, an insane photographer, has a series of classy but disturbing motifs in the areas he controls. These are long red curtains, tiled floors, studio lighting, and cameras. The song Tchaikovsky's "Serenade for strings, Op 48" also plays constantly when he's around.

"Classy but disturbing" would also work for Slaanesh.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

jokes posted:

I just think as much as it’d be cool to be actually fleshed out, the settings are better served by not actually having to think about population dynamics. Especially not logistics and nutrition.

Just assume that a single halfling produces enough food to magically feed a thousand men and there is always a shitload of halflings following an Empire army around.

Or a single life mage (or a good farmer) can grow a plant from seed to orchard/harvest in an hour, so when a farmland is burnt down a life mage just fixes it the second it’s retaken. Just lean into the magic friends and don’t think about it

While it can be pedantic and silly to argue about scale in Warhammer, it's also fun. Fans generally assume the population of the Imperium of Man in 40k has a population of at least 8 quadrillion from Hive Worlds alone. This means that we can guess the size of the Imperial Guard based on usual military personnel per capita ranges on Earth today. Obviously, not all will be combat troops, but assuming typical tooth-to-tail ratios, between 10% and 30% will be.

• If the Imperium has the number of active duty military per capita as Niger (0.3 per 1,000), they have 2 trillion troops.

• If the Imperium is like the United States (4 per 1,000), they have 32 trillion.

• If the Imperium is like Israel (20 per 1,000), they have 160 trillion.

• If the Imperium is like North Korea (50 per 1,000), they have 400 trillion.

Good luck getting through Cadia when your enemy can trivially assemble billions of lasguns to point at you, Abaddon.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

It's like Hellebron's blood voyage on steroids combined with Vermintide. It's great. Also I love to see CA realize that fighting is almost always better than not fighting so giving Khorne a "gently caress it, fight something now" button is pretty great.

That cracked me up. Only Khorne followers would be nuts enough to summon an army of demons to attack themselves.

Greenskins look like pacifist hippies by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Khorne has always been undiscriminating about from where the blood flows, but the bit about Khorne followers happening on someone else’s skulls and going “Hey looks like no one is using these, just ohp gonna scoot over here and… yoink” is both new and funny to me.

Pretty much.