Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Picked this up in a sale. Having fun working out how to play. How long is a typical campaign? Is it normal to sit around for several turns? Asking because I started as tomb kings and after restarting had a much better army on turn 17 than I’d gotten on turn 26 the first time around. So I’m trying to understand what pace I should be aiming for since clearly the first time I was going too slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Here are the hot fix changes.

quote:

Today we applied a hotfix to Total War: WARHAMMER II, which addresses the following issues:

When playing as Malus Darkblade, players could encounter a situation where they were unable to progress as a shipment army would attack a player’s walled settlement and the attacking army did not have any units capable of sieging. The unit composition has now been changed so the armies that now spawn will contain at least one unit capable of siege attacking. This only applies to armies that have yet to be spawned, so any save games with the issue already present will not be affected by this update

Fixed a crash that occurred when loading into Snikch’s quest battles from the main menu if The Prophet & The Warlock DLC was not owned

Fixed an issue with some players’ multiplayer scores not resetting correctly. Following this fix, we are resetting the multiplayer leaderboards again

Casket of Souls now have 7 projectiles instead of 9

Eshin Triads now have 64 leadership

Iksha’s Triads now have 74 leadership

Various localisation issues fixed

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

Nerfing caskets??? For what goddamn reason?

It’s weird. Didn’t they just buff them with accuracy?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
What mods are people big fans of?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks for all the mod suggestions earlier. Added a few and put some more on my watch list for later play through. This game is fun as heck.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

I mean look at this.

Looks like someone took up the mantle.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1936425849&searchtext=

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Trailer is up. It’s lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvkjtbJjwac

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Tirranek posted:

The graphic style of the map seems to be more abstracted as well. Not necessarily bad but I like the style in 2 a lot :ohdear:

I'm pretty exited for it. It looks like a miniatures board. Like a little model world.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

, so for example there is a mod that rolls the city growth numbers back to how they were before CA did the most recent change:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2427521558

quote:

The Rakarth Update prompted me to make it as the absurdity of increasing growth point cost by 60% each level made the prospect of playing Dwarfs or Tomb Kings look like a painful experience.

As a casual player and not careful notes reader, this is explaining a lot about my experience of a current Khalida campaign.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

They posted a short description of Ku’gath’s campaign mechanics a while ago, but now we have a description of what exactly he’ll do:

Note “recruitment health,” referring to Nurgle’s unique cyclical recruitment mechanics in which his daemons are recruited instantly but under-strength.

I think we just have the two Cathayan factions left. We have the 9th lord in January and Slaanesh’s campaign mechanics to look forward to, and I guess any other updates will be new surprises.

Can anyone else recruit Nurglings? Aren't those faction effects kind of cosmetic?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is there an overview map that makes it easier to read which regions can reach each other? I find I sometimes have a hard time telling whether my armies will be able to walk/sail from here to there.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, part pf the problem is that this method seems to sometimes avoid water when it would be better to travel by sea. But then I don't have a good read on how my armies will behave when it comes to making landfall, raiding ports, etc.

E: I mean a good chunk of this is just a lack of familiarity on my part. I am slowly learning to pay better attention to how enemy armies will move but if you click on an enemy army in a settlement, you can't see how far it can go while you can if it's in the field.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 4, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am hoping that the new more miniature-looking toy world map makes it easier to read. In general, the strategy map would do well with a bunch of tools to make it easier to understand what is going on.

Coming from EU IV and similar games, I am severely missing having multiple map views that makes it easier to see at a glance who likes me, who my enemies are, climate, winds of magic, province income, and other strategic information that would make planning things easier. Similarly, I want a clearer read on how enemies in my view can potentially move and how far I can move this turn and then next turn from my current position. I’d like it to be much clearer what terrain is impassable, and when I can expect armies to reinforce one another.

A lot of this information is available if you know where to look and are willing to click on a lot of things. The diplomacy interface is especially terrible for this. There’s a lot of information there, but it’s not easy to grasp.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think that the highest ideal for TW:WH is a set of interesting, varied battles in the context of a world campaign where I get to deploy all the cool models I could never afford in real life and mash them against the cool models my friends also could not afford in real life.

I'm looking forward to learning how they do (or don't) adjust 3 in a way that incentivizes more varied armies. It sucks that the red line of lord skills pushes you towards mono-unit armies.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I'm interested in SFO because it seems like a neat vision and different set of designs ideas to try the game around, but the latest version crashes the Mac client on launch so that's a no-go for now. I have played around with some other unit cap mods, either per army or per faction and I like the way they start to enforce variety in me and the AI, but now you are dependent on a clusterfuck of patches or not for dealing with any other cool custom units that someone has added to the game. It can't help but be janky.

It would be much nicer if CA worked out some better base game approaches.

Fundamentally, the game/setting struggles with a few things which make for hard design problems for the game designers.

First, the core fantasy is medieval battles which is lines of melee units clashing with cavalry & ranged support. But we add powerful ranged options and weapons of mass destruction in artillery, air units, and magic. Melee units are limited in how many other melee units can engage an enemy at the same time, while ranged units can mass fire and just delete enemy units one at a time. There is a reason that contemporary armies don't line up in open fields anymore.

Then there is the persistence problem. In campaign, you army doesn't just need to fight one battle, it needs to fight several. Any option that keeps your units at full strength is superior to the alternatives. Which, again, favors magic, artillery and ranges if you can keep them safe. This is different from multiplayer games where a pyrrhic victory is the expected result because it's fun to have closely matched games where one side squeaks out a win. Similarly, your armies need to be generalists because it's such a slog to change out the configuration on campaign. So you need armies that can win in the field and take sieges. This promotes units that are effective in a wide variety of situations (ranged units that do well in melee).

So any balancing is going to have to work against the tide of those incentives. Right now the red line does the opposite by strengthening

In an ideal world, you'd be using the frontline etc not because you were forced to by army caps but because you wanted to in order to manage some other resource constraint or because it was the better option.

Ravenfood posted:

But also, it would take a bunch of work, but I think about how Pillars of Eternity 1 handled weapon specialization. There, instead of picking a weapon you picked a whole group of them at once, themed. So you could pick "soldier" which gave you something like pike, arquebus, greatsword, and warhammer or "peasant" which gave spears, quarterstaves, hunting bows, and hatchet. Point is, all of the various sets included at least one ranged weapon and a variety of different options within the weapon set and had a thematic link. I wonder if you could somehow do the same? I doubt it though.

Last option is just to rework red line skills to be less unit-specific, so now every unit gets +5% speed or whatever.

I like both of these ideas.

Imagine if to get the full set of buffs for Shades or Sisters, you needed to hit multiple different parts of the red line which also helped with some other units. I am playing a Dark Elf Campaign now with some custom units now that all benefit from Witch Elf buffs but they are more varied in ability (there's ranged units, fodder etc) which means one tech tree buffs a bunch. That feels better to me than the default approach.

The Tomb Kings tech tree also does this, where unlocking a dynasty will give you extra capacity for one unit but buff another. So there is an incentive to capitalize on your varied investments.

e: look at me pontificating like a chump while this awesome new news is coming to light.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 17, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

not a bot posted:

Fully customizable lords and army painter for every faction please.

Yes! Being able to reskin models without being a modder would be amazing.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
“Eat a god,”

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
"I want other people to imagine for me, and I want to spend all my time exploring the intricate details of their ideas" is a core attribute of a certain kind of nerd and they will be forever at war with "I want to use other people's imagination as a jumping off point for my own."

I am stupidly excited about DIY LL. I wonder just how far we can go.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Outposts let you recruit allied faction units. This is tremendously fun. Just all kinds of chaotic EVERYONE IS HERE energy to the armies.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Earlier I was hoping CA would push away from Doomstacks and towards more interesting battles and it seems like they are managing this with a bunch of things.

For instance, the Ivory Road mechanic as you sending caravans that presumably will be attacked along the way. Since it doesn't seem like you recruit for the caravan guards, you will be forced to play out the battle with the forces you have. That's a nice change of pace.

Has anyone gone into the skill trees anywhere?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Diplomacy updates detailed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_NT_vA60G4

Quick Deal is a nice “keep the game moving” QoL improvement especially the “balance offer” button. You can threaten people! And potentially trigger a war!

There is a currency that you gain from alliances that allow you to buy units and other advantages. Your outposts enhance their garrisons in addition to unlocking units to recruit. Request army lets you take control of one of their armies temporarily. Units you recruit abandon you if the alliance ends. You can do missions for your ally based on things they want.

This really seems like it’s giving a lot more life to alliances.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Teenage me is just thrilled about all of this and the idea that

is really just coming to life.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Gejnor posted:

Except the one quoted earlier mentions having asked the Devs directly, saying ANYTHING is on the table, as long as they have access to it.

The other streamers ive seen have been unsure so despite it having been said "multiple times" it doesn't mean it is so.

The closest I've seen to this being demoed is in the video I linked earlier and the tooltip is mysterious.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I agree, mixes things up, I'm just concerned if the timer is too short and the map is too big then people will just camp and wait for them to show up.

Something one streamer showed is that you can tell the game WHERE on the map you want the reinforcements to arrive and that changes how long the wait time is. So I think that this kind of positioning and timing strategy is part of the fun. On big maps you'll be able to stall and on small maps you won't and it'll all be about trying to find that edge.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, it's oddly cathartic. Like being able to teleport across the map thanks to cults and then just... spawning the throwaway armies by murderizing entire populations sounds weirdly satisfying. Skarbrand HATES waiting.

There's literally a button to spawn an army to fight, just in case you are waiting too long. It's amazing.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I mean, how wild an end game are we expecting?

This is the lore of the days that lead to the end of the Old World entirely, no? And with rifts and everything else it seems clearly possible that they can move armies between different maps, which opens up A LOT of storytelling possibilities depending on what their priorities were.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Morathi ME is so dire compared to Morathi Vortex. The Vortex start has been endlessly varied for me. It's this incredible knife fight of factions who all hate you and each other so you never know who's going to rise to power and who's coming for you. Battles are diverse with lots of different potential armies to face on the field.

ME is "and then I fought some High Elves, and then I fought some High Elves, and then I fought some High Elves, there was a Lizardmen army, and then I fought some High Elves. and then I fought some High Elves." Conquering the doughnut is incredibly samey and feels like it should be the climax of the campaign but because the climate to the south is unsuitable and they all keep declaring war on you, it ends up being the mid game. ME is this sprawling "everyone is here" map but you wouldn't know it as Morathi.

I am excited about the chaos incursions, the caravan defenses, and all the other neat event battles they seem to have in mind for enabling variety beyond which factions are nearby.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
But don't enjoy it toooooo much or you end up in Slaaneshi hands.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Some players wanna kitbash custom armies with their own fluff. Some wanna get mad that the province layout means they can’t reproduce the course of the invasion precisely as described in the lore.

A hobby of multitudes.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Also a cluster of farty nurglings that win the campaign by slowly engulfing the whole world in poxes and disease plays very different from the murder lord that must fight every turn to stay in shape.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Mordja posted:

OK, I finished XCOM 2 and want to restart my Tomb Kings campaign, which Growth mod do I want?

I like this one. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2550163778

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Disillusionist posted:

I've just started using the Allied Auxiliaries mod (which, amazingly, seems to have been implemented as a standard feature of 3 now) and I'm looking for lore-friendly combinations of units between factions. I know very little about the lore outside the game, but here's what I've come up with:

There's a few more obvious ones. I'm wondering about the following:

Would any other faction conceivably field Lizardmen in their armies, assuming they were allied? Skaven would probably only serve in a Chaos army, right? Would Morathi field Chaos warriors? Who would the Tomb Kings ally with? What about Bretonnia, would they feasibly loan knights to the Empire, or Dwarfs?

Morathi has a built in skill that gives +30 relations with Norsca and +10 relations with Beastmen. So that suggests some options. Once you have taken the shrine of Asuryan as a DE you get +100 With High Elves so after that event, you’d expect to be able to recruit ‘em.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Months from now.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Kazzah posted:

We who are bathed in the glorious light of Sigmar refuse the entreaties of all the demons from the north, except the purple bitches with the crab claws, they make good points sometimes

Now I want to play Slaanesh first again.

So many factions I’m excited about playing.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Legend of Total war is the only WH2 streamer I’ve come across that mostly talks like a normal straitforward person and explains the thinking behind his decisions. I wish more people did.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ZombyDog posted:

I like when he switches to Ikit Claw voice because that means he's enjoying himself and I think that's always something important to get across when making watchable streams.
I get a lot out of his saving a disaster campaign videos because he's pretty good at dissecting what the player did wrong and helps me improve my gameplay experience. So while I don't have to switch out army commanders to get rid of a forced march malus when I'm about to be ambushed by a Skaven stack, I also have a better idea about how the AI is thinking and how it makes it's decisions, and can work better to counter that.

This is generally what I get out of strategy guides from well informed people who explain the mental models behind their reasoning. I still want to make cool armies smash against other cool armies but it’s useful to learn the most efficient ways of doing things tj have an understanding of what I’m deviating from to do the things I want to do and why I’m losing. There’s a lot of counter intuitive things about the game or strategies that the in game missions seem to advocate for that are actually bad ideas. The game doesn’t do a great job of teaching you about itself. So learning from people who understand the game well enough to break it in half can help a lot.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Does.... he have a job? Or is he making enough money streaming to not need to?

Streaming is his job. He is a busker for our entertainment. He makes money with "super chat"s where people spend money to highlight comments or questions.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
“The game has been rebalanced to discourage doom stacks, encourage army variety and discourage auto resolve,” sounds like a massive improvement to me.

Some of the most fun I’ve had in 2 was making the most out of sub optimal situations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
After months of silence the Mac client got the cavalry update yesterday. Fingers crossed that the WH3 port is coming along faster than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
As a latecomer to this game, it's fascinating parsing through the massive archive of content out there from older balance patches, mods that have been continuously updated for 5 years, "must have mods" that were abandoned two years ago, early game guides that are no longer relevant because of new start positions and lords, old streams showcasing exploits that have been patched and on and on.

There's layers and layers of sediment to this strange game.

It seems very likely that there's 5 or more years of TWW3 to come.