Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You Am I posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-02/toyota-and-holden-factories-to-shut-down/9008312?WT.ac=statenews_vic

The last parts of Australian car manufacturing dies this month.

Holy poo poo the comments from morons who say it's the unions fault that the companies are stopping car production in Australia, and that the workers were overpaid :(

Alls quiet from Turnbull, no Federal assistance given to Toyota workers. I guess if they were manufacturing coal they would be billions of slush fund money to play with.

That's depressing. I remember reading similar things in AI about the UAW when GM were having problems a few years ago. The pure rage and sense of injustice that these people actually had good working conditions and were paid a reasonable wage was mind boggling. No consideration that maybe if they worked in a unionised industry they too could enjoy reasonable working conditions, just pure spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Internet leading to a homogenisation of the right. Bolt's readers probably spend so much time exposed to Americans going off about gun rights that some of it rubs off.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The real argument is that it doesn't matter/it's a small price to pay. e.g. https://www.billoreilly.com/b/Mass-Murder-in-Las-Vegas/851098107399788721.html

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Eventually you'll get one company monopolising the industry and it'll be just like getting Foxtel through the internet, no doubt with similar pricing and advertising.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Pocket Billiards posted:

Yes but consider what THAT republic was (going by memory here).

Status quo - GG selected exclusively by PM and approved by Queen.

Referendum proposal - 'President' replaces GG and is selected by lower house from public nominations.

Not insignificant number of pro republic people vote no on the basis they don't have enough power, maintaining a system where the person in that role is picked by the PM and approved by the Queen and forfeiting the chance to both become a republic and transfer the power to select the head of government from 2 people to 150.

All I'm saying it's a pretty recent Australian example of how something can be framed to get in-principle supporters to vote against it and nullify it for decades.

I don't know how appropriate this comparison is. A republic of any sort isn't the goal, it's a specific type of republic. If you're not being offered what you want why would you vote for it? What was on offer was perceived as worse, or at least no better, than the status quo and was rightly rejected. There will likely be another referendum on the republic at some stage, if the 1999 one had passed we'd be stuck with it forever.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hooman posted:

Oh goooood.

"A proposed uniform law to allow terrorism suspects to be held without charge for 14 days is constitutional because a judge will have to approve extended detention, Malcolm Turnbull has said."

EDIT: jesus gently caress

"At a media conference in Canberra, the AFP commissioner, Andrew Colvin, said when investigating terrorism offences police “don’t have the normal luxury to watch, to wait, collect evidence before we act”."

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/04/turnbull-defends-proposed-anti-terrorism-laws-as-constitutional

I can't believe these arguments still work 16 years later. On the other hand, this is what a government with nothing to offer anyone looks like.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/915719292091490304

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You can probably blame him for contributing to the fabrication of a 'problem' though.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's a problem in the sense that it's a problem in society generally. It's not something unique to Indigenous communities.

http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2017/06/21/look-medias-role-nt-intervention-10-years

open24hours fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 5, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

starkebn posted:

I'm willing to hear your point of view on this, because I don't honestly know about it. I'll read the link later.

You could make a similar program about suburbs of any city in Australia. Tony Jones has been around long enough to know how these things play out.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Why don't we or why shouldn't we?

https://emailfooter.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Publications/voting/files/compulsory-voting.pdf

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You Am I posted:

I disagree. Voting should be compulsory, in fact students at high school should be forced to sign up to the electoral roll.

People should be signed up at birth/when they immigrate. That it's something you have to actively do is ridiculous.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/TradNash

He doesn't seem particularly concerned about hiding it. I wonder what his supervisor thinks.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Even if it wasn't flammable it should be banned. Buildings that use it look awful when they're brand new, I hate to think what they'll look like in another few decades.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I wonder if Xenophon quitting is linked to the citizenship case.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A lot more people have a license than a passport, they get updated more regularly, they're more or less essential to have.

It wouldn't necessarily be a problem if we didn't have such a predictably hopeless government that will undoubtedly misuse the data. You can guarantee this will be sold of to, like, Westfield or something so they can identify you when you walk through the door target ads at you while you shop.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Zenithe posted:

How would one demonstrate their integration into Australian community. Comedy options aside, I'm genuinely interested as to what this would look like.

By obeying the law.

This was a reasonably interesting discussion mainly about the British citizenship test http://www.philosophy247.org/podcasts/citizenship/

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The most shocking thing is Penthouse magazine still exists.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The Clean Energy Target looks like it would be pretty easy to corrupt and use as a mechanism to funnel money to your mates anyway. Why not just do that?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 9, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's the thing I don't get about the Abbott style of Liberal. You can still do nothing about climate change without telling everyone you're going to do nothing about climate change. There's just this pathological desire for belligerence and it never works out well for them.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Sure, but only just. If they just shut up about these things maybe Turnbull wouldn't have led the party to a worse result than Tony loving Abbott.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The guy is scum, but he's obviously highly trained scum. Spent too much time interviewing Hanson and got complacent.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

2800 suicides is completely different from 3000 suicides.

They reported the total number of suicides, not the number of LGBT suicides and certainly not the number of LGBT suicides that could be attributed to marriage law.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's always going to be a bigger issue at airports because of the queue. If you line up at the airport for an hour and get a $15 fare you're not going to make any money.

I don't see a way around it when all the taxi drivers are competing against each other. The airport has no incentive to do anything about because it doesn't affect their profits, the taxi owners don't have any incentive to do anything about it because it doesn't affect their profits. It all falls on the driver.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 10, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

JBP posted:

Yeah but they crack the shits over a $30 fare that's a good run on the freeway.

I bet you make more than $30 an hour.

Cab drivers are terribly paid at the best of times, and they're already too expensive for the people who need them most.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

If they are queuing for an hour regularly then it's probably time to give up on the airport. It's like a cafe getting angry at someone for not ordering enough food.

I'm not trying to excuse them, but it's hardly surprising that they get upset about it. Ideally they'd start a union, go on strike and get better conditions.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Now I'm wondering about the ethics of taking short trips from the airport. If you know that the cab driver will lose money on a trip is it ethical to use the law to force them to drive you?

The obvious argument is if they don't like it then they shouldn't be cab drivers, but I'm not sure if it's very convincing. Presumably if they could get a better job they would have done that by now. I think the responsibility probably rests with the airport/government. If they are going to allow short fares then they should set up some sort of equalisation scheme so that drivers aren't working for free.

Senor Tron posted:

Not at all disputing that taxi drivers get a raw deal, but the instant you start abusing someone in a small enclosed space with you for asking for the service you specifically advertise then you deserve to lose your job.

Yeah, there's no excusing that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

iajanus posted:

What's the alternative? Walking from the airport to nearby places? How far is reasonable? A shitton of buses going everywhere?

I'm not sure it matters for the question. Assume there are no alternative options for transport and it's either a cab or nothing. It's not the cab driver's fault you're stuck at the airport, so is it ethical to make it their problem?

Or assume there are plenty of shuttles that will make a profit and take you almost where you need to go, with a short walk at the end. Is it ethical to take a cab then?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 10, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

iajanus posted:

They are voluntarily providing an advertised service wherein they will pick you up at the airport and take you to the destination you request. It's completely ethical to expect them to do their job. It's not like you've gotten into a public bus and demanded it drive you to your house. This is a bizarre line of thinking and the only rational reason I can think of for asking along it is to plaay devil's advocate.

If the cabs want to change the definition of what they do and start implementing a system where there're sections to wait in for cabs that go different distances, then it'd be different. At this stage, it's completely ethical (insofar as catching a cab at all can be ethical).

I'm not playing devil's advocate or trying to convince anyone of anything, I just think it's an interesting question.

Catching a cab is completely legal and I wouldn't seriously criticise anyone for taking advantage of the fact that they're obliged to take you wherever you want. I would probably argue that it would be unethical for them to refuse.

It does raise lots of questions about what's truly voluntary and what's coerced though.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 10, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

On the other hand Taxi drivers have gone as far as to go on strike when airports allow other providers like Uber.

Flip it around, why should an airport be treated differently than any other cab rank?

They shouldn't be, the same question would apply to any trip where you know that the driver will lose money.

hooman posted:

The ethics of using an advertised service as advertised isn't on the consumer it's on the employer.

Is that a defensible position? Like, if you know that an employer is exploiting their employees don't you have some responsibility to avoid using that particular service? Or at least to try?

open24hours fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 10, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

iajanus posted:

If the taxi lobby wants to implement some short-distance charges or similar they're well within their rights to do so - they're a powerful lobby group and can do what they like. If their employees and employers don't agree then that's their business, not mine.
The taxi lobby don't care, the license owners they represent make money whatever happens to the driver.

hooman posted:

Depends on whether you think using any consumer electronics is also unethical.
This is something I've struggled with. I lean towards yes, it is unethical given how many people are exploited along the way. Then again I own a lot of consumer electronics and surely I'm not unethical, am I?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hooman posted:

The answer you have to console yourself with is "it's irrelevant because there's gently caress all I can do about it".

If I could make a better choice I would, but here we are, living our compromised lives in a compromising world. Do the best you can and be satisfied with that and elect people who can take real action to fix these problems.

EDIT: I mean seriously, you need to take a longer look at yourself if you think you aren't unethical. Everyone chooses a line to walk where we can live with how unethical our actions are. Eating meat is unethical, I eat meat, I'm fine with that. Everyone just chooses an ethical compromise they can stomach and lives to that.

Yeah, I agree that's what it ultimately comes down to. I still think it's useful to discuss these things though, particularly as it can help to inform your decision as to who to vote for.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Cartoon posted:

"a person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments."

You are such a muppet.

I didn't express an opinion, I asked a question. If that's the definition you're going for then anyone who engages in any form of debate is playing devil's advocate.

[EDIT: Now that I think about it, it's pretty reasonable to conclude this, but the way the term is used around here usually implies some sort of value judgement.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 10, 2017

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Escalate to the university ethics committee, pronto.

If it's something that's seriously bothering you, do this.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...010-gyyfuq.html
Private contractors will answer calls from Centrelink's welfare recipients after the Department of Human Services outsourced call centre work to multinational services company Serco.

In an unprecedented move for the welfare agency, 250 of the company's Australian subsidiary staff will take calls about payments in a three-year pilot program costing the government $51.7 million.

The main public sector union and Labor rounded on the Coalition solution to rising call wait times, saying it would not lift the agency's performance, and asking why a private company would be entrusted with critical services.

Human Services is turning to the private sector to supplement its own staffing for phone queries after a storm of controversy and client frustration, as more than 42 million calls to the agency received an engaged signal in just 10 months, a result officials blamed on smartphone apps.

Engaged signals met 29 million calls in the previous 12 months, a turn for the worse on 2014-15 when the number was 22 million.

The 250 extra call centre workers will be Melbourne-based, and are funded in the same 2017-18 budget that slashed nearly 1200 jobs from the Human Services department's ranks.

Serco, a UK-based behemoth that provides "catch-all" services for governments and private companies around the world, has run Australia's immigration detention centres.

Minister for Human Services Alan Tudge said the pilot, beginning in late October, would help reduce call wait times.

His office said using commercial suppliers was not a new approach, and that partnerships between the Australian Taxation Office and private companies had set the precedent.

"Under the partnership arrangement, Serco's staff will be fully trained and will comply with all Commonwealth government privacy and security requirements," it said.

"As an Australian-based supplier, Serco will ensure that no services or data will go offshore."

The Community and Public Sector Union said the contract added insult to the injury of recent job cuts in the department.

In condemning the move, national secretary Nadine Flood said the contract was a disaster for Centrelink that would put thousands of vulnerable people at risk.

"Trusting the highly sensitive needs and information handled by Centrelink staff to a private operator is scary in itself and this situation is even worse," she said.

"Providing Serco with even the most basic access to client records would be giving the company a frightening amount of personal information.

"Centrelink clients need real help, such as that they are given by our members who have permanent jobs in the department and therefore the proper training and experience to actually resolve peoples' problems.

"A private call centre that's designed merely to make the department's call waiting times look better isn't going to genuinely help anyone."

Opposition Human Services spokeswoman Linda Burney said Centrelink was under-resourced and understaffed.

"Mr Tudge must face up to the fact that he's failed to fix the massive blowout in Centrelink call wait times. Outsourcing Centrelink call centres just isn't good enough," she said.

Figures released by the department showed the average waiting time across Centrelink's "main business" phone lines was nearly 27 minutes in January, the height of its "robo-debt" controversy.

However real waiting times can be much longer than the average, as Human Services regards a call as answered if the caller is put back on hold and spends further prolonged periods waiting to speak to a person.

Mr Tudge's announcement came a day after the Turnbull government rejected findings of a Senate inquiry into its controversial "robo-debt" system for welfare payments, refusing to suspend data matching and defending procedural fairness in the recovery of payments.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Turnbull was way into that before he decided he'd rather be a puppet. It appeals to conservatives because they interpret 'nudging' to mean things like putting people on income management.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

StudlyCaps posted:

If it's an option though, shopping ethically is better than nothing, right?

Right? :(

What does shopping ethically mean? The supply chain for many modern goods is so complex that it's essentially impossible for a normal person to know if a given product is ethical or not.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

StudlyCaps posted:

That's true, for what little difference it makes though shopping at an IGA at least seems better than Coles or Woolies.

I think you could probably make reasonable arguments either way. Some people might argue that you should shop wherever's cheapest so you have more left over to donate to people with nothing.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

StudlyCaps posted:

Different topic, has ABC News' site always had comments sections on all their articles? I never remember seeing them a little bit a go but now every article seems to have them.

I never understood why a news site would even want comments, seems really tabloid-y.

The ABC is tabloid-y now. Just look at their article on allowing comments. http://www.abc.net.au/news/about/backstory/digital/2017-09-07/comments-abc-news-audience-engagement/8878604

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They did that when they shut down shortwave but it didn't get much traction. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/27/bill-shorten-calls-on-turnbull-to-save-shortwave-radio-broadcasts-in-nt

• Locked thread