Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phobeste posted:

Doesn't nobody know what's a spoiler and what isn't because the movie isn't actually out yet?
Yeah I'm not sure. There are a few things in that trailer that may be just clever editing to make it look like certain things are going to happen. I don't think it shows too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oberst posted:

So is this going to just be another miserable copy paste of the original series? Im gonna have to wait until 2019 for a decent follow up to rogue 1....
It sure feels like tonally they are cribbing from ESB a lot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The porgs or whatever are lame and only designed so they can get hella merch sales.

The spirit of George Lucas lives on
There are also those weird turtle monk things that are going to be on the training planet. They have not been in the marketing yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The prequels are the perfect example of why Lucas needed people around him to tell him no to certain ideas.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

[quote="“General Dog”" post="“477279457”"]
Let’s talk about something more important- are the sequels going to incorporate Luke’s computer girlfriend from the EU at any point?
[/quote]
I read almost all of those EU novels when I was a kid, but even I couldn't finish that one

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I think this has probably been answered before but does Coruscant still technically exist? Or was it erased with the rest of the EU but then brought back by the newest novel kinda like Rebels did with Thrawn?
It was in the prequels

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Uh, the only Star Wars movie that came out in 2015 was The Force Awakens. That's not a remake of anything.
Trap sprung

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/joelgord/status/920329127877595136

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I will give them credit for actually offing the characters at the end of R1 and not doing some kind of cop-out ending

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really hope the marketing is lying and this is not going to be a copy/paste of ESB.

I do hope these hints that Luke is using both sides of the Force are true, because it would be nice to not just follow the same path as the original trilogy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The long-rumored concept of a live action Star Wars TV series is apparently going to finally happen to time with the launch of Disney's new streaming service in 2019

https://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-live-action-tv-series-disney-streaming-service/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that movie goes into detail how easy it is to get an R or NC-17 for sex or nudity, but I can’t think of a violent movie in ages that got an NC-17.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

viral spiral posted:

I'm predicting a 90%+ RT score because everyone seems to have voracious nerd boners for Rian Johnson for some reason.
My official rating: 3/10 Would Not Porg Again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I feel like it could be Obi-Wan, but it's not structured well. You can also make the argument for Qui-Gon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just got back from the theater. I have a lot of mixed feelings about this.

The Good:

-Most of Luke's stuff is effective, I just wish there was more of him. I was also not a big fan of him going out like that....it just didn't seem fitting for the character. I get that it's a pretty strong parallel to when Obi-Wan sacrifices himself in ANH to buy time for Luke/Han/Leia to get off the Death Star, but still. Mark Hamill put all he had into this, at least.
-The inclusion of Yoda actually worked. When he first showed up unexpectedly, I was concerned, but they actually did it properly. A much better use of a long-gone character than the cameos in Rogue One or his appearances in the Prequels
-Kylo Ren is much more interesting in this film. He's still whiny and impatient at times, but he feels more like an actual threat than in TFA. I'm really glad he ditched the dumb helmet. I really hoped for a major swerve where he fully commits to supporting Rey and the Rebellion, but that would be too much I suppose. Instead what we get is basically what would have happened if Darth Vader had decided to off the Emperor in ESB and take over the Empire himself.
-Hyperspace suicide run is something I wish they had put in these films before. Between this and Rogue One I am glad that they have added some new dimensions to the space combat since you can now use modern CGI to make the battles more dynamic.
-I wish we had seen more of Benicio Del Toro's character. He seemed interesting enough, but was barely around and then presumably died on the giant ship.
-The fight after Snoke gets killed was well done and I wish we had more combat like that in the film.

The Bad/Disappointing:

-Everything with Snoke's buildup was a waste. It's clear that he's an incredibly powerful Force user, arguably stronger than Rey or Kylo Ren. Yet we get no idea of who he even is, or why he's in this position as leader of the First Order. They put all of this secrecy into who he was in TFA and it didn't matter at all. I'm not sure if they just wrote the character for TFA without an intended backstory, then had to kill him in this, but it seems like a waste of time.
-What was the point in bringing Phasma back at all? She should have died on Starkiller Base in TFA. She somehow had even LESS screen time in this than in TFA.
-Building up the mystery of who Rey's parents were in TFA, only to make it completely pointless.
-I agree with others that the side plot on Canto Bight was something that seemed out of place and should have been cut. I'm not sure why that was in the film. Benicio Del Toro's character doing the whole 'well maybe the Resistance is bad too' thing because they also bought weapons was a weird scene. That didn't need to be in the film either, as there is no real reason for it.
-Honestly I believe it was a mistake not having Finn sacrifice himself as the conclusion to his arc in the film. Thematically it works well if he goes from being ready to desert the Resistance to nobly sacrificing himself to save what remained of it. Now granted, clearly he was willing to do this and only Rose's interference stopped him, but is there still anything else they really need to do with his character in Episode IX?
-This isn't really a 'bad' thing, but I'm not sure why Hux is still alive at this point. Why does Kylo need him? I really thought Kylo was going to off him right after he wake up from being unconscious.
-The film really starts to drag during the section where Poe is arguing with Laura Dern's character, and Finn/Rose are on Canto Bight. Pretty much everything with Laura Dern's character is for plot convenience. Why would she keep her plan a secret? It benefited no one.
-I feel like in comparison to where the main characters were at the end of ESB, the Resistance in this movie seems hopelessly outmanned and outgunned at the end of the film. I'm really not sure where the final movie is going to start, or how the Resistance is going to be able to stand up to what is clearly a giant force that they even say in the film is weeks away from controlling all of the major star systems. Presumably Leia is going to die offscreen, unless they think they have a good way to send her off in the next movie.
-The movie felt very torn between its feelings on the past. You had a character in Kylo Ren who almost seems to be an anarchist, but he still wants to basically rule the Empire like his grandfather had ultimately planned to do. Yoda helps Luke destroy the ancient Jedi temple, and even says that Luke is the last Jedi, but Rey took all of the ancient texts out of the tree off-screen and they are with her anyway? It's just very inconsistent.
-I felt like once again we did not get a lot of character development with Rey. She seems to be more of a bog-standard hero character rather than a real three-dimensional character. If you compare her to Luke in the original trilogy she seems very shallow. Luke goes from being an impatient teenage farm boy to a calm, collected, self-assured Jedi by the end of the last movie. In those films his character motivations seem more clear-cut than what we get out of Rey. Rey is very impulsive in both this and TFA, but it doesn't seem to lead to any real peril. I do understand how in TFA there was a lot of criticism that she was already too perfect at everything, and that mostly continues here. She doesn't really fail much in her training, either. Compared to Luke in ESB, who fails repeatedly because he's not learning the right lessons. The movie kind of teases with the idea that maybe she is interested in Kylo Ren's pitch to her, but that's a fakeout. I don't feel like her character has grown much in two films now.

I will say overall that I am less interested in seeing Episode 9 than I was interested in seeing Episode 8 after leaving the theater for TFA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Yep.

You know what other “gripe” bothers me?

“Why didn’t Holdo tell Poe her plan?”

Did you miss the scene where he got dozens if not hundreds of people killed? Then he got demoted?

He’s lucky he’s not in prison.

So many people are like “why wasn’t this movie full of typical action movie tropes?” when the movie spends a lot of its time beating you over the head with “the old ways are dumb”.
Well before he goes rogue, when she takes over control of the fleet from Leia, he asks her what the plan is and she tells him to mind his place. He only does it because he believes it's going to get everyone killed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Filthy Casual posted:

Which is a pretty good lesson in what not to do if you're in command, since her failure to place faith in her subordinates also indirectly got a lot of people killed.
It's a poor plot contrivance. They have to make this new leader seem kinda shady (for some reason), and the last thing you want to do in a desperate situation where the people under your command are deserting and losing faith is to just brush them off when they ask how they are going to get out of this situation that is not looking good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Those bombers looked like huge, older B-Wings

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vegetable posted:

This movie felt really bloated, like they had too much money and decided to keep adding an expensive set piece every time they were done with one.

I had a lot of problems with Rogue One but that third act was sumptuous for me. Easily one of my favorite from the Star Wars movies. I don't think I particularly cared for any of the space battles here.
Agreed on both. The beginning parts of Rogue One are kind of clunky, but the 3rd Act is incredible. It also flows so much better than TLJ.

They should have found a way to end the film after the events on Snoke’s ship. It felt like it should have naturally ended there. You didn’t need to do the salt planet battle if the main point was just for Luke to show up and distract Kylo Ren.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

teagone posted:

I'm going to watch The Last Jedi again later today. I don't think I'll ever get tired of the throne room brawl. Love the bit when the camera focuses in on Rey grabbing her lightsaber with the force after Snoke is cut in half, and then she and Ben exchange looks before taking on the guards. So good.
I had a lot of problems with the film but this was the best scene

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ManifunkDestiny posted:

So who the hell is the villain now? Can't be Hux, dude is a punching bag/caricature. Phasma, even if brought back, has no real massive, foreboding presence. Kylo might be the obvious answer, yet he is the one who explicitly stated that he wants to end this cycle of violence, the forever war between Empire/First Order and Rebellion/Resistance, to stop making the war profiteers of Canto Bight wealthy, and to bring the galaxy to peace. He only turns and seeks extinction after Rey rebuffs him, vowing to continue the war to the last person if need be. It seems odd to vilify the guy who, at his ascendancy of the First Order, was willing to give it up.

It's still Kylo. He just wanted the power for himself, and did not want to have to answer to Snoke. It's basically what would have happened if Vader had succeeded in his original plan to usurp the Emperor (granted, with Luke's help) and take over the Empire. He claims he wants to destroy everything, but as far as I can tell that's a lie. He immediately takes over the First Order once Hux finds him.

I really hope to God they don't bring Phasma back again. Her appearance in this film was a joke. At least in TFA she had a story purpose at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CountFosco posted:

The Last Jedi seems weighty and more thematically hefty on a first impression, but the more I think about it the less depth it seems to have.

Mark Hamill is great in it though, as are most of the actors, elevating a script that just doesn't sit well with me. The visuals are generally quite solid. I'm not a "hater."
Yeah that’s kind of my feeling as well. It keeps wanting you to think it has a lot of depth but it’s not there. It goes on and on about letting go of the past but when the movie is over I don’t get the impression that anything like that has happened.