Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Oiled and Ready posted:

There won't be an ending really, we're getting 5 years tops before another trilogy

I can't wait for Episode 11 to learn how Rey tried to kill broom kid before going into self-imposed exile, and why the Even Newer Republic was a total failure in stopping the rise of another band of idiot cosplayers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
If they ever do an Obi-Wan prequel film, I hope it's about him and Leia's parents, because I want to see the only competent child-rearers in the galaxy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

sassassin posted:

I hope Luke doesn't because these dudes chasing immortality so they can keep meddling is hosed up.

Practice what you preached and learn to let go.

It's why I'm a little iffy about Yoda showing up in this one - I mean, I liked it at the time, but it seems to undermine itself by bringing him back still being the wise old mentor when everything else in the movie is about how the Jedi he was leading were completely hosed up and needs to be abandoned.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yoda telling Luke "You must learn from your mistakes" was a little annoying. I'm like "You motherfucker he already learned from his mistakes. He learned from and corrected YOUR fuckin mistakes"

Yeah, it really doesn't work the more I think about it.

Like, the first time Luke meets Yoda, he's already seeing through Yoda's bullshit. In ESB, Luke already values rescuing his friends over Yoda's instruction, and because of that he learns the truth about Vader, rather than the half-truths and deceptions of the Jedi. And when he returns in RotJ and asks Yoda outright, Yoda's first instinct is still to be evasive.

Yoda's the last character who should be motivating Luke to turn his back on the stagnant past and return to the fight, except maybe by serving as a cautionary example.

I feel a lot of the problems of the film is that it's engaging with a pop-culture shallow reading of the original films, so it writes Yoda as the genuine infallible master people assume he is rather than looking at how he actually acted, and it ignores the subtleties of the older films so it can pretend its observations are somehow retaliatory. Like, the old Jedi being useless assholes is pretty much text in five out of the first six episodes!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Elfgames posted:

"rescuing" his friends was the wrong move though (luke rescued nobody and nearly got himself killed) yeah he learns from his mistake and that's good but he didn't need to make that mistake in the first place.

If he hadn't gone to Bespin, he'd never have learned Vader was his father, and would have carried on ignorantly following Obi-Wan and Yoda's plans.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Elfgames posted:

luke's training was already moving towards empathizing with vader with or without knowledge of who his father was, and yoda even says that the plan was to reveal the info slowly. you also assume yoda wants luke to kill vader. i'm pretty sure he uses the word confront.

Maybe. But right up until the end, Yoda was still insisting that falling to the Dark Side was irrevocable. "Forever will it dominate your destiny". And Obi-Wan was still insisting that Anakin Skywalker was gone forever. I don't think either of them ever really managed to look past Jedi dogma - and that's why it seems damned peculiar in TLJ to have Yoda in the role he's in, let alone having Rey end up with the Jedi texts in the end, when everything in that story is about overcoming the past.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Neo Rasa posted:

There's some fan theory/wishful thinking I've seen that is hoping the ship Benicio Del Toro stole was Lando's and that he's one of these hyper elite folks now.

That's stupid. Lando only worked with the Empire because he thought he was keeping Cloud City safe, and when he turns on them, he first stops to warn everyone else to evacuate. He's not a selfish plutocrat, he's one of the few characters who actually cares about his community.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Detective No. 27 posted:

As unwavering as you are about what constitutes a Death Star, I am about capitalizing proper nouns.

I think you'll find that, according to the opening crawl, DEATH STAR should be all caps.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

UmOk posted:

Oh ok. I thought maybe it was because lovely people just want a "better" black guy.

We expect white people to be ugly. We're disappointed and surprised when black people aren't exceptionally good looking.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The next movie should just be a recording of the table read.

The only real Star Wars is the radio dramas.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Teek posted:

Hahah, what? I'm guessing you never read Dark Empire. Or Dark Empire II, or Empire's End...

As rubbish as Dark Empire was, I kind of wonder if the sequel trilogy should have just poached the Palpatine clone idea instead of Snoke. Like, if you're going to have a transparent stand-in for the Emperor, you may as well go all in, and it'd solve the problem of Snoke seeming to come out of nowhere. Plus, we'd have gotten more of Ian McDiarmid hamming it up, and we'd never have had to pretend that 'Snoke' was an imposing name...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Hux had that big rally in TFA. I mean, it was directed at his own soldiers, not the general citizenry, but it's not clear whether the First Order even has citizens or territory, so...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come the empire never tried to wipe out the hutt crime syndicate

I kinda figured Jabba in the OT was lying low a bit compared to his glory days - in the Phantom Menace, he's the guest of honor at a major sporting event, but in Return of the Jedi, he's hiding out in a pretty rough-looking palace out in the boondocks. The Empire might not have wiped out the syndicates, but he's under a bit more pressure than he was when Tattoine was independent. He's still big in the underworld, but he's not a de-facto civil leader anymore.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Falcon is so slow that it gets immediately shot down trying to escape the Imperial ships over Tattooine. The entire rest of the trilogy is just Han's dying dream. It's pretty obvious if you just watch the movies!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SimonCat posted:

So, other than losing the bombers, how did Poe's actions set the Resistance back?

He didn't clearly communicate to Finn and Rose "Hey, if you can't hire the Master Codebreaker, substituting some random guy you met in prison isn't an acceptable plan B".

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I Can't Believe It's Not The Death Star!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always enjoy the first few minutes of Star Wars, but then it goes downhill as soon as James Earl Jones has a line and I'm reminded that black people exist.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s the rare orthodox racism.

As noted earlier, it’s vastly more common for racists to push for the inclusion of black people into systems where they will be subordinate. Hence Star Trek.

The Sisko's subordinate to nobody. :colbert:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

AndyElusive posted:

As the last surviving Jedi he just wants to end the goddamn cycle. It's an amazing but dour place to see Luke in.

That's the fundamental theme of TLJ; you can't break the cycle. In the end, Luke has to admit he won't be the last Jedi, he fails to destroy the Jedi's texts, and we close on a child slave, inherently strong in the Force, dreaming of freedom and worshiping again the legend of the Jedi Knights. We're right back at the Phantom Menace, and nothing has changed.

It's an easy film to hate because it seems to hate itself and to hate Star Wars. It's a series of vaguely connected stories linked by a common theme - pointlessness, despair, and the inevitability of tyranny. Just keep your head down, and maybe you'll get out alive, like DJ.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galagazombie posted:

But TLJ acts as though ANH Luke is the only Luke, when we for a fact saw him develop into Ewok Celebration Luke through the course of two whole additional movies.

I've actually got a crackpot theory that RotJ didn't happen in TLJ's continuity. Like, the whole theme of Rey's interaction's with Luke is that he doesn't live up to the legend she believed, and when he finally goes into action, it turns out to be another illusion. Why not extend that backwards? Rey believes what we saw in RotJ was the truth, but what if that's just another legend that the real Luke never lived up to?

Rey says that Luke believed that Vader could be turned, but Luke never confirms that it actually happened, he just looks sad and says because of that he became a legend. Nobody else really saw what happened on the Death Star between Luke, Vader and the Emperor - what if, in reality, Luke failed there? What if everything we saw onscreen is just the legends Rey grew up on?

And so we get what we saw in TLJ, a Luke that still sees the failure of the old Jedi order, yet cannot see the alternative. A Luke that's terrified of being exposed as a fraud, and so hides rather than fights. A Luke that no longer believes in redemption, either for his nephew or himself. A Luke that hates and despises the legend that grew from the lie he told to try and redeem the memory of Anakin Skywalker, and wants nothing to do with the people that still might believe in it.

Tell me that doesn't make more sense.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

LGD posted:

or, and hear me out here because this might sound crazy, its just a really badly written movie

Bad writing? In a Star Wars movie?!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Honestly, given everything we've seen of Ben Solo, the only thing Luke should be regretting is that he didn't follow through.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What I disliked was how pointless it ended up being. The only time we'll see Leia use the Force, it's not to protect others, or to help the cause, or to do anything useful, it's purely to get herself out of danger... so she can pass out and do nothing for the rest of the film. And it's not the only sequence like that in the film; reversal after reversal that end up meaning nothing. Does it matter that Ren hesitates before shooting? No, because someone else does anyway. But that doesn't matter either, because Leia survives. But that doesn't matter, because she doesn't do anything.

That it looks awkward as hell is just the icing on a fundamentally pointless subplot.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
You're making a lot of assertions unsupported by the text. You've taken a single line where Leia tries to claim senatorial authority as proof of where her true allegiance lies, ignoring the context that the entire scene is her blatantly lying to Vader's face, and he immediately cuts through her bullshit and identifies her - correctly - as a member of the Rebel Alliance.

Later on, in the Death Star briefing, the generals discuss the possibility of the rebellion 'gaining support' in the senate - in other words, the rebellion has allies in the senate, but nobody considers them one and the same. Tarkin then announces the senate's disillusion, and it is never mentioned again. One would think that if Leia or the rebellion's goal was the restoration of the pre-Palpatine status quo, they would respond by creating a new senate-in-exile, or at least would discuss the impact of its destruction, yet all the textual evidence is that this power shift doesn't affect the Rebellion's ideology or power base whatsoever.

Your argument is unsupported by the text.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

tadashi posted:

Just to add to the conversation: I really don't think you can characterize Gunray as a libertarian. He's a neo-conervative/neo-liberal capitalist. technically, he has state backing even though he doesn't realize it. I don't think Libertarians would use the threat of all-out war to enforce their side of a trade negotiation.

If Naboo didn't want to get blockaded, they should have bought their own droid army! Bootstraps!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The thing is, it doesn't matter, because TLJ's general thesis is that the Resistance is worthless. They're not going to do anything about slavery, corruption, or greed, their heroics are self-destructive, they'll never break free of the Jedi dogma that contains the seeds of its own destruction. Dark will always rise to balance light, so whether there's twelve rebels or twelve thousand, they're still not actually doing any good.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Rock is the rare exception.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

No Mods No Masters posted:

ITT brainstorm monstrous and stupid acts lando did in the intervening 40 years so he too will be entirely unsympathetic

Well, the standard pattern has been to ignore all character development and changes that took place during the OT and revert everyone to the shallowest interpretation of their original status. So, obviously, Lando's going to sell everyone out at the first opportunity, and it won't be while under extreme duress or while worrying about a whole city of people either - it'll just be motivated by selfish greed. He'll probably die redeeming himself soon after, though, and then everyone will act like he was a hero all along.

Probably he or someone else will wear that drat Jabba's Palace disguise we saw again in Solo. And there'll be some unfunny scene referencing L3's disembodied consciousness having been trapped in the Falcon for decades, and Lando will act annoyed at having to acknowledge her existence.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Bongo Bill posted:

Not that you can tell from A New Hope, but I'm pretty sure Alderaan is ruled by a queen, and her husband, Senator Bail Organa, would technically be styled a Prince Consort.

When I was a kid, for some reason I always thought 'Bail' was his title - and the prequels mentioning a 'Bail Antillies' just confirmed it for me.

It's no worse than 'Moff' as a title, after all.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'm just annoyed that the First Order TIEs have an inverted color scheme compared to the originals. It doesn't make sense on so many levels - inverted color scheme implies they're the opposite, but the First Order is deliberately trying to be a continuation of the Empire, so why would they change the colors? And the black sections on the TIE are meant to be solar panels, so it's extra stupid to have them in any color but black!

And the original trilogy gave us four different styles of TIE that were visually distinct while still sharing the same basic design, so it just feels extra-lazy that we just got a palette swap for the sequels.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think you'll find that Hoth was Tatooine all along, m8.

Tattooth is tidally locked. The desert is the side facing the suns, the ice is the other side. The small temperate band in the middle is Endor.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I went to find out myself and that led me down some various rabbit holes.

Did you know that Snoke had already anointed Ben Solo as Kylo Ren, Master of the Knights of Ren, BEFORE Luke tried to kill him? And Snoke was 'indirectly responsible' for Luke establishing his own Jedi academy?

Wow, Snoke seems like a pretty important guy, a real mover and shaker with ties to all the main characters. I can't wait to see the payoff to all of this in the movies!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Cybernetics doesn't make you a droid. General Grievous was an organic intelligence and doesn't cease to be one just because his brain isn't in a flesh-container anymore.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

jivjov posted:

There's a difference between "not making reference to something" and "proceeding under the assumption it never happened". Many Trek novels are contradictory because there isn't one overarching continuity.

Umm, I think you'll find that the 'contradictory' novels take place in subtly different quantum realities, which were established as existing in the Next Generation episode "Parallels". It is impossible for a Star Trek story to contradict another unless you can find proof they take place in the same quantum universe. Duh.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galagazombie posted:

The Trash Compactor monster is now a sentient being who has the force who was merely baptizing Luke as the Force told it he would save the Galaxy. This is canon.

The end of the story is the Trash Compactor monster dying when the Death Star is destroyed, and her final thoughts being wondering what she'll reincarnate as.

I assume, based on this forshadowing, that Rey is strong in the Force because she's the reincarnation of the magic trash compactor monster.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Martman posted:

It must be really scary believing in the power of the Story Group. I mean, they could deem the OT non-canon tomorrow. Just, poof and it's gone!

Darth Plagueis the Wise is clearly described as a legend; ie, non-canon.

The story group has approved material confirming Darth Plagueis as Palpatine's master.

Therefore, Palpatine and his Empire are non-canon.

QED.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Most Star Wars media is basically aimed at children; the novels tend to be YA at most. I wonder what children and teenagers think about canon. :v:

Speaking as someone who, as a teenager, was obsessed with the Bantam-era novels, I thought it was Very Important that all these books and comics and games were part of the same continuity and coordinated with each other.

Then the prequels came out, and all the novels had to do frantic hand-waving to explain why they'd established a whole bunch of old Republic Jedi having families when that was now established as being against the rules, and why they'd implied that the clones had fought the Republic in the Clone Wars when that turned out not be true and...

And I slowly realized that there wasn't any secret master plan, and the coordinating basically boiled down to everyone being given the same RPG sourcebooks to work from so they didn't misspell 'Twi'lek'.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always thought that was a weird scene just because there were, like, half a dozen other droids working alongside R2, and the only special thing R2 did was not get killed. Like, either acknowledge the droids that died repairing the ship or just treat them all as machines, but singling out R2 for praise was weird and awkward.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SolarFire2 posted:

I'm sure all the other people who died in the course of that movie would be happy to know that Leia thought they weren't needed.

Having purged the counter-revolutionary elements, the Resistance is now stronger than ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Rey certainly has no clue what’s up at the end.

... you know, it never occured to me how weird things must look from Rey's point of view.

"Hey guys, I'm back! Things didn't work out the way I planned, but Snoke's dead, his flagship's in chaos, so things are looking pretty good... Guys? Guys, where's our fleet?

...what did I miss?"