Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Headstocks should NOT indicate erectile dysfunction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Anime Reference posted:

Usually these combination pedals have a pretty clear use case but I'm drawing a blank on who a fuzz/tremolo is for.

Kevin shields and fans of Kevin shields

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Snowy posted:

Someone invoked the name Kevin Shields so I have to post this video again. The dude is the perfect mumbly Brit then when he kicks in the full sound it’s pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXuvDRSwN8

im permabanned poster pedalstomper58. i first started playing shoe gaze when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "big muffs" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "reverse reverb" and "i love riffing inside offset assholes" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "fuzzy" style of shoegaze music was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" shoegaze to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Anime Reference posted:

It occurred to me the other day that since two tone knobs is two more than anybody should ever need, it would be incredibly funny to wire up a Strat with three volume knobs.

Ironically throwing one on each pickup and getting rid of the selector switch would give you way more tonal variation than any tone knob possibly could.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Lol that's a pedalpcb kit, naughty naughty Wren and Cuff

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Please tell me more

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Lmao I hope he is charging them a fortune for this nonsense. Also seems a bit rude to be all "find why these out of spec ones sound better than your intended design, nerdlinger"

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The Muppets On PCP posted:

looks like what the 23rd century equivalent of a dadrock guy would play in star trek

Worf and Riker at Budokan, their legs wide

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

trap sprung you losers tng was set in the 24th century

Ah yes, time travel, the one cheesy plot device Star Trek writers were, consistently able to resist

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Dewgy posted:

wow... double fascism! :eyepop:

If you put it through google translate to Japanese it comes out as "pensu" which is weird.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

former glory posted:

You guys are killing me, lol.

Not as much as the singer of Sublime killed himself.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Pondex posted:

Does anyone know what this weird youtube-drama around Rob Chapman is about? There's several 30-45 min. videos about it around, but I'm only mildly interested so I'm not sifting through all that. :)

As far as I can make out a literal child made a take-down video of Chapman full of insights such as "Chapman doesn't have a degree from the university he represents" and "Chapman put his guitars in Guitar centre to sell more of them" which can be basically summed up as "adults in the real world make compromises".

But because it's 2020 and everything is dumb as poo poo, including Chapman, instead of going "lmao" and diving headfirst into a Scrooge McDuck style pool of free gear and actual cash, he made a response video roughly the same length as two lord of the rings movies where he came across as the smarmiest, most arrogant, self righteous, own-fart-huffing douchebags to ever walk the planet and entirely destroyed his own career.

You know, just basic internet stuff at this point.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

and they have much more explosive transients compared to remo face shields

I've just been using the unbranded face shield that came with the kit and now I have corona AND hep B

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

stillvisions posted:

Nothing says dying like a rock star like a Flying V casket with your legs spread wide in it.

I hope my corpse is mangled enough to fit an explorer coffin.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The that pedal show dudes just posted a 45 minute video where their "editor" explains his process and I know if I watch it I'll loving scream.

My dayjob is as an editor and the TPS videos are so insanely badly cut I have to grit my teeth through them as is lol.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

No. Whinging on SA is still a much better standard of life than commenting on YouTube in any fashion.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Instead of spending your time watching gear reviews, reading forums about gear, and reading guitar magazines, which are all designed to inspire the idea that the right gear matters, and then make money advertising that gear, invest that time in learning what to look for in an instrument and how to set one up properly. The only difference between a Squier and a fender is the chance of buying a dud, which decreases annually with improvements in manufacturing techniques. If you know how to tell a dud, and invest a little more time in trying guitars in shops, you will literally save yourself thousands of dollars.

Same principle with learning to solder and building your own pedals. This is an insanely low barrier to accessing a huge variety of sounds for low money, and you can even dabble in gear lust, because if you wait a couple of months you can just buy the PCB, or a kit (more expensive than parting yourself but less time/ loving about) of whatever was the flavour of the week. No one should ever need to buy a fuzz face based pedal lmao.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wanna know where that's a quote from

Your mum, for whom the fuzz face is named.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I didn't know lowtax was married to a DS1

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do you guys have any good recommendations on pedal building kits? Doesn't really matter if it's actually a good circuit, just like a TS clone or some fuzz pedal could work. Comedy option would be like a HM2. Basically just something with all the components, a PCB, and an unpainted enclosure with holes. I want to teach someone how to solder/do fine detail work so I thought it would be a fun exercise to make one

Literally anything from fuzzdog.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

OutOfPrint posted:

What's fuzzdog?

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I am Otis posted:

Mine says two words you can't say on the forums anymore, even if I'm both

Lowtax abuser?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The twist is the overdrives are both used Joyos

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Little big muff on my dilz etc

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

sigher posted:

That double neck dragon guitar kinda owns.

You fucker

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Top right and bottom left really letting the team down tbh

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

darkwasthenight posted:

If Behr rehoused the SF300 in a sturdy metal casing they would destroy the fuzz market. They're a bugger to rehouse or there would be a cottage industry doing it already.

Best thing I ever did was rehouse 2 of them in a single enclosure, one in fuzz position 1 and the other in 2 with an order switcher in between. It's good being able to ruin someone's day in two completely different ways with a little tap of the foot.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Nebraska Tim posted:

Got any more details or pictures of it? Planning to do something similar with the SF300 and HM300

Will grab a pic when I'm at the studio on the weekend.

It's not worth trying to replace the jacks/power/defeat the buffer on the circuit board itself (just won't stand up to that much desoldering) so it's basically set up as two true bypass loopers with an sf300 in each, all in one case. Needed to shove some spare jacks in the inputs to defeat the boss style on/off by input setup and needed a little external switch to short the soft switch (basically do this on power up and it's good to go as long as power is uninterrupted).

It's not elegant, pretty, or clever but it works.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

former glory posted:

The bridge-nut alignment seems ridiculously off on that bass unless it's just an illusion.

I think Pokey's juicy rear end is throwing you off

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

huge missed opportunity not making the nipples control knobs

And if you're gonna have the dickhole in the bigsby go all the way and shove a fleshlight in the body, cowards

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

GreatGreen posted:

You think that thing looks feminine?

All I see is a fat hairy dude gut and a big slappin pair of moobs.

Have a couple more drinks

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Spanish Manlove posted:

I got stuff calibrated to within a dB spl from 4k to 52k. Then the program crashed when i went to add more frequencies to the test schedule. So i gave up and emailed support then went home because I wanted to work on it more on monday.

Calibration is very much like recording guitar in that you can try to set things up exactly the same as you did last time and things will sound completely different for no reason.

I can only assume that you double checked the directionality if all your cables and made sure the correct number of ferrite beads were on each power supply?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

GreatGreen posted:

Ok so I've never released an original song into the wild so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But this guy is a professional YouTube guitar player, a self proclaimed expert on guitar gear and tone.

That song has like the least inspiring, most generic "rock" guitar tracking I've ever heard. Also, why are the guy's vocals like 8 times louder than everything else in the mix? Was the song mixed by the same people who make karaoke music?

Thought I was in the smashing pumpkins thread for a minute here.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is why you can’t just hand out Kali Linux to anyone.

This seems like a problem that will eventually solve itself.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Hardtail strats in Daphne blue, surf green, and transparent red are being mass produced right now with one little catch:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/search?q=noventa

Going to assume that's a swimming pool rout so should be pretty easy to mod to hss.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Is Ian Mackaye still a racist?

Very poor bait

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Lester Shy posted:

It bums me out that DIY pedal kits are always equal to/more expensive than an average clone pedal. I'd like to gently caress around with one, but IMO it's pointless to take on the risks associated with assembling a pedal without an attendant drop in price.

It's cheaper than buying a reasonable version of a pedal (there are a few components that actually make a difference that will generally be better in a kit) and a Lego set / model airplane / whatever else keeps your hands busy while you listen to podcasts.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The copper case makes the MP3s sound more analog and natural? How the gently caress do they even try to justify that statement, even using audiophile voodoo and junk science?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Huxley posted:

So what you're saying is someone needs to start a boutique line of left-handed pedals.

TCS plethora X5 is left handed for effects order and it's a loving nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Band name idea: Voldemort and the Cunts but branded as You Know Who and the You Know Whats

Whoah, there ARE bad ideas in brainstorming.