Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

But you seem to think that you know better, so go ahead: list some of the great accomplishments that Bitcoin has made. "Wasted a shitload of resources" isn't an accomplishment.

Haven't you heard number go up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I Like Jell-O posted:

Philosophically speaking, animals are mindless because they are incapable of reason. By that same token, humans aren't animals because we are capable of reason.
Is this the libertarian version of young earth creationism.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who are these philosophers who assert homo sapiens is not part of the animal kingdom.

Name, like, four.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Risc1911 posted:

I just leave this here. Not that i think any of you would ever join a discord about pumping and dumping to get some good laughs or anything.

http://www.cryptofamilypumps.com/

Imagine signing up to be the mark in a pump-and-dump :psyduck:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I know it's to be expected from a place like "Cryptocurrency News" but this writer twisting himself into pretzels to explain why NVidia abandoning crypto is actually good for bitcoin is pretty funny

https://www.ccn.com/nvidia-quits-crypto-due-to-low-profit-not-because-of-decline-in-demand/

The market price may have dropped 70% but not to worry, production costs are higher than ever!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jenrai posted:

Can someone explain tether to me, a dumb gay baby who can't wrap his head around what the gently caress it is and why anyone would think it makes bitcoin less of a scam

It's unbacked currency printed in unlimited amounts and used to manipulate market prices of other coins on cryptocurrency exchanges.

Basically everything real and imagined that bitcoiners hate and fear about the Federal Reserve, but now it's okay because they've stripped out all oversight and accountability.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"crony crypto"?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

divabot posted:

"but you see 2+2 really doesn't make 4 in this case, because then I wouldn't get all this money"

Sounds good, wiring you my life's savings

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

My go-to Bitcoin expert is off hiking the west coast. Can someone please explain Tether to me? I know he's explained it, before, but I can't remember how it works or why it matters.

Have you ever heard a Bitcoiner rant about what they think (((The Federal Reserve))) is doing.

That's basically what Tether is actually doing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why would an exchange want to hold Tether and pretend they're the same as US Dollars when they obviously aren't.

That's what I don't get about this, the exchanges are giving away assets in return for nothing, why

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Klyith posted:

most of them don't. only a few exchanges allow tether to be sold for real money -- the majority just allow people to trade tether for other cryptocurrencies. that's a pretty blatant sign that they don't want anything to do with the consequences.

But doesn't that mean the exchanges are giving away Bitcoin for Tether?

I mean yeah you can (accurately) joke that Bitcoin isn't a real asset, but people will give you real money for it, so you can buy Bitcoin from an exchange with Tether and either cash out or transfer your Bitcoin to another exchange that will let you cash out or withdraw your Bitcoin and sell it.

Right?

Or will exchanges not send Bitcoin to other exchange for you / let you withdraw Bitcoin into your own wallet.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Yes technically blockchains are completely useless but what if we used them anyway then you'd have to get used to them. And get this in an unregulated market power tends to centralize like the Internet is doing now, what if instead we used blockchains which are totally unregulated and alsoball their current applications are centralizing"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 11, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

For just $30/month you can transfer unlimited amounts of EverQuest gold and magical items, think how powerful that is

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Scam? He invented the PC and you're just a middle-aged tech support grunt, checkmate

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AEMINAL posted:

Lol using a carded CC to steal BTC is such a perfect scam

This decentralized currency with no chargebacks is the future.

Yes I'll irrevocably sell you some for a credit card payment you can chargeback from me

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

They're trying to grift the QAnon idiots with this.

This would probably work if they pitched it overtly.

Attention patriots! The restoration of America is at hand! Already the Deep State has been defeated behind the scenes and Obama, the Clintons, Comey, and the (((Federal Reserve))) are in secret house arrest while the US government and economy are remade by the Q initiative. Soon your fiat dollars will be worthless but fear not, your belief in Q shall be rewarded with a gift of America's new currency, the Q, and true patriots will take the place of (((central bankers))) as masters of the economy.

Please follow my donation link: https://www.pon.zi/thanksforthecash

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dumb question: why would miners want to stop other miners from switching to BCH?

Wouldn't that be a good thing for anyone who didn't switch, who would have a greater chance of getting the block reward?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

Bitcoiners having a protocol fight and billions are lost in a few hours lol

No Bitcoin is constant, the US dollar just spiked in value, because fiat is hopelessly unstable and volatile.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Bitcoin... under $5000?

Impossible. It can't go below 6,000

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

oversteer posted:

:siren: The Tether dove has been released from its Bitfinex cage ready to soar higher than ever before!

“Bitfinex announces Tether neutrality and launches new stablecoin pairs”
https://link.medium.com/CxcztseLbS

Tether will now float instead of be pegged 1:1 to USD, so I guess anyone cashing out below $1 means Bitfinex make a profit..?

I assume any redemption means bitfinex takes a loss since they just printed coins out of thin air and didn't actually sell $2.5B of them

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BUG JUG posted:

Ronpaulkillyourparentsendthefed types railing about the fed always printing money and causing inflation, but being perfectly ok with whatever it is Tether is doing will never stop being the funniest thing about crypto to me.

Really the whole idea of Bitcoin in the first place. A fiat currency for people who hate fiat currency but are too poor to own a gold mine.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Warbadger posted:

Not just fiat, but the closest thing to the definition of a fiat currency in that it isn't even printed on a piece of paper you can burn/use as ersatz toilet paper/make neat arts and crafts out of.

"But with crypto, unlike filthy fiat, you can't make any more of it!!"
*immediately splinters into thousands of newly-created currencies as everyone and their dog tries to get in on the pump-and-dump grift*

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Hi, so this question probably has been asked fifty times, but can anyone point me to a good summary for why Bitcoin has suddenly collapsed again after spending what felt like an awfully long time (for Bitcoin) being fairly stable?

Boat's coming back to pick up those who missed it the first second time, next stop the moon!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Don't be fooled by the decrease in sales, the fundamentals of disco are still strong. Never before have there been this many people who have heard disco as there are today.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:thunk:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm not actually sure which grift is griftier, Bitcoin or the brain pills he was already selling.

Like at least people will give you drugs for your bitcoins for some reason, which seems at least slightly more useful than magic beans?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Why do they have to pay their money back if they got it out before the bankruptcy?

Because in a Ponzi scheme withdrawals are funded by taking the money from new investors to pay off current investors so the money you put in is already gone and the money you withdrew belonged to other people.

It's not uncommon for judges to order you to pay back your early withdrawals so they can all be pooled together and everyone loses some rather than some lucky people getting made whole off other people's money and other people losing everything.

The Madoff judge did that too though iirc he ended up only ordering people to pay back gains and not doing clawbacks from people who withdrew less than their initial investment but legally he could have made them return everything.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 18, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just got back from Starbucks. Buying a macchiato is so easy now in 2022, I just handed them the keys to my house, car, and safe deposit box, and all my bank account numbers, and a power of attorney over all my assets so they can complete a transaction in my name for $5.70

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bobstar posted:

[star wars meme] And then they'll withdraw it and spend it on actual things, right?

Right?

And miss out on all the gains as it goes to a million?

Beta paperhands mentality

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There's one thing I still don't get. What do I do if I have multiple slurp juices but only 1 Astro Ape? Am I just poo poo out of luck for creating new apes?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

coolusername posted:

Keeping your crypto is safe, secure and easy. Just remember:

quote:

You shouldn’t keep all your crypto in one wallet. Owning multiple wallets is free and guarantee much more security.

Creating new wallets is free but don't you have to pay transaction fees every time you move money into them to make a purchase, and then pay a transaction fee again to make the purchase?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Indeed, but you only need to buy two things with bitcoin.
NFTs and more bitcoin.

Yeah I guess that's fine if it's just monopoly money with a "value" completely divorced from the amount of real currency they put into the system, and they're just gambling on ape jpegs with it, but I thought this was supposed to replace worthless government-backed legacy currencies???

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

EMoney posted:

Just had my Swan rep do some tax loss harvesting which is a nice perk. You send them everything and they do an instant dump/rebuy at the same price and send it back the same day.

Isn't this a wash sale which would disallow claiming a capital loss

E: ah beaten obviously

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Astrochicken posted:

I did my own research..

I alternate between pity and contempt for these people. I like how 'i did my own research' is just a red flag for a mark now.

Well you have to admit it sounds better than 'I ignored all expert advice and sought out YouTube videos that told me what I wanted to hear'

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Pretty sure Costco already has a sellable secondary-market temporary membership system, it's called a Costco gift card.

How do I make money when my family buys a CostCo gift card.

And hey check this out: if someone steals your wallet they can spend all the funds in your gift card, nothing you can do. But if your ownership is recorded on the blockchain, can't steal that!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Isn't the impossibility of reversing transactions supposed to be a major feature of cryptocurrency.

Even more so Ethereum with self-executing contracts that you can't renege on unless you get 51% of the distributed trustless verification network to agree

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Aramis posted:

On paper, yes.

However the user has not actually bought any crypto. They gave 35,000$ to coinbase for them to buy that crypto and put an entry in Coinbase's database that that portion of their Eth belongs to that user. No actual transaction will happen on the blockchain (apart from Coinbase's regular book-balancing) until the user transfers the coins to some non-Coinbase wallet.

In other words, Coinbase are 100% lying, and could perfectly well reverse that transaction. They just don't want to.

Oh yeah I know that, I just meant that that's how cryptobros want all currency to work anyhow, irrevocable transactions confirmed by strangers showing proof of work instead of being handled by untrustworthy institutions, so what's the problem???

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Code is law. Financial system backed by math. Freedom from corrupt banking institutions and meddlesome government regulators.

*fat-fingers life savings into a crashing market*

Hello Chase Bank I demand a chargeback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

This insane lady bought a Diamond, made an NFT, and destroyed the Diamond to prove her point. The nft has no offers lmao.

https://opensea.io/assets/ethereum/0x2a9e4045185c8d778b85610ca96d79bd8ecdc720/1

I clicked on it and there's a link to a blog post where she recounts a conversation trying to convince her mom. Her mom points out nicely how stupid this is just as you'd expect, and NFT lady is like "well I didn't totally convince her but I think she is open to the idea"
https://taschalabs.com/nft-is-better-than-diamond-heres-why/

quote:

Mom: But what stops others from issuing more NFTs like those? Punks, dogs, cats, unicorns…you can have as many as you want. It all costs nothing.