Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Foo Diddley posted:

the thing about every "practical application" of blockchain technology is that it could be implemented far more effectively and efficiently without blockchain technology

The only thing the Blockchain brings to this is that it has a distributed ledger of who owns what, so if you're terrified that Steam will suddenly delete Furry Foot Chronicles from your Steam account, then there's that for you. There's also the mythical web3 "YOU CAN TRANSFER IT TO ANOTHER SERVICE!!!!"-claim which will be meaningful just as soon as another service, out of the goodness of their heart, implements everything you "own" on the first service.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Laziness. It's easier to have an exchange find a buyer for your coins than go through craigslist or make threads on forums.

Plus having an exchange as a middleman also means the exchange actually happens from both ends.

If you're doing one-to-one exchanges, you can do your part, but there's nothing in the blockchain bullshit ensuring that the other half does their part, too. They can just take your poo poo and run. Exchanges makes getting scammed by other traders less likely... on the other hand it then introduces getting scammed by the exchange. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Bitcoin itself is completely decentralised.

The problem is that decentralised systems suck. So they very quickly invented banks again as somewhere to centralise all their currency handling.

Exchanges also mean that since you're just changing a number in the exchange's ledger, your crypto transfers happen more or less instantly and without any fees.

If you're actually moving stuff along the ethereum chain, i.e. to another wallet, rather than just to a different pocket in the exchange's wallet, it A) has transfer fees(I think they usually clock in at something like $50 to $200 in Ethereum) and B) the transfer can take between a couple of minutes, a day or even completely fail to process. Intra-exchange transfers don't suffer from that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Nessus posted:

Some kind of universal automatic-enrollment voter database which would track all known voters and their locations could be useful, but that would also interfere with a State's sovereign right to choose a new people by preferentially disallowing voting by certain constituencies, and that could mean the wrong people won!

I was always baffled by how this works in other countries, here in Denmark I just get a ballot paper for anything going on in my region or relevant to my region. I don't have to apply or sign up or anything, I just have to be a citizen with an address at which a ballot paper can arrive.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Aramis posted:

It's not crypto in spirit that's the problem. It's that the only single way we know how to make it happen is unacceptably loving terrible.

Mind you, crypto is absolutely stupid in spirit as well, but that's not going to convince anyone. The one thing that crypto advocates get right in my opinion is that if a decentralized digital currency existed in our capitalist hellscape, there's little that could be done to prevent its adoption, and it would likely become a de-facto standard sooner or later.

Oh, no, crypto in spirit is entirely the problem. It was originally designed as a grift, as a way to get around paying taxes, and nothing else. All of its "hype" about "banking the unbanked!!!" and whatever came later to sucker more nerds in.

And the thing is that a decentralized crypto currency, even if it had instant transmissions, no huge transfer fees, none of the bugs of bitcoin, was user friendly and didn't attempt to melt Antarctica with every new coin generated... it would still have all of the issues of a decentralized currency with regards to grifts, scams and reversing transactions. If there's no authority that controls the thing and can force, for instance, transactions to reverse, every scam is permanent.

Banks would have to get absurdly rapacious to have me not pick their basic protections over, uh, all of this poo poo, so I don't believe it would ever become "the standard." Its use case would primarily be limited to a minority of folks in areas with no banking network coverage or folks who wanted a higher degree of anonymity(criminals, tax frauds and a small minority of folks who want to shuffle money around without getting shot by an authoritarian state).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

It eventually transformed into a positive thing that meant doing research about a game, but at first it was purely to call someone an rear end in a top hat.

I've rarely heard it used positively, usually it's taken to mean someone who comes up with a bunch of wild concepts and ideas for how a game should theoretically function... without ever actually putting in the work to play the game and test out these scenarios. More or less the same as calling someone an "ideas guy."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ups_rail posted:

I m gonna ask a stupid question.

What does tether do?

So, Bitfinex, one of the crypto exchanges, needed a new way to scam money out of people and juice up the crypto ecosystem with some liquidity, so they created Tether, which was absolutely not a cryptocurrency, but traded on the same exchanges, and supposedly 1:1 backed by US Dollars. I believe Bitfinex still insists it is absolutely still 1:1 backed by said dollars and thus all of your Tether can be withdrawn at any time with no problems. It's going to be very hilarious if someone tries that.

Bitfinex is also noteworthy as having been a crypto exchange on the receiving end of shitloads of high-profile, high-value hacks or "hacks"(it's unclear which).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

God, this was such cursed idiocy it took me reading other people's replies before I realized this wasn't a Saddest Rhino/Lottery of Babylon-style copypaste hellpost.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

The question is can crypto even exist if regulated. If you just applied the existing rules to crypto would it no longer be possible to keep the scam running?

The explicit proposition of cryptocurrency as it was originally created was to escape regulations, so that would definitely destroy the scam for anyone hoping to use it to dodge taxes or do money laundering. And just the most basic sort of regulations requiring exchanges to have liquidity so their customers can actually withdraw their investments into real money, plus whatever controls would prevent the most egregrious rugpulls, would completely destroy anyone's motivations to run an exchange.

So I think my answer is no: If you actually regulated crypto in the same way as similar things involving money, there would be zero profit in it for anyone and in a year or two you'd just be down to a couple of lonely nerds trading their internet pogs for cents.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Sausages posted:

:nms: thread is pretty grim, it gets worse

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1579150601833058306

This is the future Libertarians want

There certainly are some choice quotes in that thread, including how Kamil insists that the way to reduce violent crime in US cities is to "allow a mafia to emerge" and the statement that "non-violent environments are abnormal," i.e. some sort of weird-rear end belief that in the "real world" you get hunted with spears and guns. Human-on-human violence is the abnormality created by lovely environments, not humans just coexisting peacefully, unless you have a truly busted-brain perception of humanity.

I think I would take like 99% of statements by this Kamil person with a basketball-sized chunk of salt.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

I assume this is what PurpleXVI is getting at; violence has been part of our natures from the start, but not to the insane dog-eat-dog levels projected by libertarians.

Pretty much, I feel like unless there's a truly hosed culture, or various societal/economic pressures cranked up to extremes("I gotta mug you or I can't pay for my insulin, sorry"), people are generally wired to not enjoy and seek out violence against others. If the absence of cops and laws made people instantly snap into "kill and eat other people"-mode, then we wouldn't ever have made it past the first guy to invent a pointy stick.

Though I do also feel like the perspective of "violence defines inter-group relationships" very easily turns into some "there can never be a compromise solution with outsiders, we are designed to kill and murder the different"-excuse for grim and misanthropic worldviews. Part of why I tend to glance askance at anyone who confidently states that "humans are tribal creatures!" because it usually comes as an introduction to attempting to excuse their own bigotry or why we shouldn't try to have a more progressive society.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Isn't this the third time or so this exact thing has happened, more or less? I think it was BitFinex that pulled it first.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I never really understood the rise of the desire to own game assets in a meaningful sense. Another bitcoin solution looking for a problem perhaps?

Tracing the pedigree of this idea makes it make a lot more sense, because if I remember right one of the big crypto voices(Buterin?) decided to go all in on crypto lunacy because one of his favourite abilities in World of Warcraft got nerfed, and that made him deeply incensed against the oppressive dictatorship of game developers.

So from there it's a pretty straight line to "if I own an NFT of my Orc Warlock's coolest ability, no developer can just change it out from under me" and then people who have no conception of how videogames work, how people play them, how videogame development functions, etc. somehow mutated that idea into "ah but what if you could rent that ability out to others and then also put it in Mario Kart."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

No. I have a decade of looking at charts and reports, from IT work as a network engineer/monitoring engineer and so on. It's not all that weird to look at charts and trends for any other asset classes, but it's not like technical analysis is anything but hated by most people anyway. Not everyone does some ghostty garbage, and it's not going to magically make fortunes. In the end, it's about 90% math applied to statistical data. If you don't like technical analysis then I bet you really don't like when people apply moving averages to covid statistics, either.

"I've looked at charts before! Charts about completely different things should be no different!"

This feels like a textbook example of the "fallacy of transferrable expertise."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

drk posted:

as riveting as pig chat is, how about chicken eggchat

Have you considered that every egg is unique, much like a bitcoin? And that due to the eventual expiry of eggs, there is an upper limit to how many there can be at once? And that if you have a fridge full of eggs, the government can't prevent you from eating them?????

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sophy Wackles posted:

Because they were businessmen, running a very legitimate and upstanding business.

If I remember right at some point one anti-virus/anti-scam company actually did a review of the various ransom gangs' customer service and found they were usually surprisingly good, which was moderately funny.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't know, don't care, because I'm not dumb enough to buy crypto anyhow.

You're missing out, it's a genuinely good book, though you've already learned the central lesson it's trying to impart. But it still has value in chronicling some of the absolutely dumbest moments of crypto, for excellent comedy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

It sounds to me more like speculative trading of bad debt, which is already a thing in the rest of the financial world.

If I remember right, Bitfinex was the first exchange to pull this after they got "hacked" back in the day. They ultimately did end up paying off their "recovery tokens," probably to everyone's surprise, but of course it was structured to be entirely to the exchange's benefit and they ended up getting the most out of it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm looking forward to the next one*, I kinda unplugged from the Crypto thing around 2020 (hmm, I forget why... :corona:) and from skimming this thread it seems I've missed some wild A+ drama

* There WILL be another one, I hope? @divabot

There had better be, there's got to be an interesting read in NFT drama as well as side stories like El Salvador trying to become Crypto Country, but I could imagine Gerard is holding out because if Square Enix ever actually takes a big NFT dump all over itself rather than just talking about it and blueballing us, that's almost certainly going to be a wild tale.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ups_rail posted:

What I remember was sophomore dates a senior. senior graduates and now its a weird place. like a 19 year old has a 17 year old gf. Other people know about this and have opinions. like the kids parents, friends, family teacher etc.

So imo a person whose like 21-22 whose been there or seen his friends in that place, can have an opinion on AOC, but in general older people worrying or other wise thinking about teenagers doing stupid horny things is a red flag.

Why would a man in his 30/40/50 s care about AOC since it shouldnt matter to him?

It took me a while to realize the thread was talking about age of consent, I was like "wait, what does Alexandra Ocasio Cortez have to do with romeo and juliet??????" until I finally hit this post and my brain made the last connection.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I wonder when "disruption" became an inherently good thing to some people. I mean I could "disrupt" a social function by walking into the middle of it and taking a dirty great poo poo on the carpet, that'll definitely upset the current mechanics and force the adoption of a new one(perhaps someone watching the door and holding the function away from the nice rugs), but it's not really going to improve the amount of fun or productivity anyone's having. Half the time, "disrupting" an industry just means "forcing everyone to adopt new rules that'll prevent you pulling this bullshit again that was a obviously a terrible idea to everyone but you, and therefore no one had thought it needed to be explicitly forbidden or to have a dedicated agency preventing people from doing it."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Barriers to participation in a lot of things were breaking down, and that was extremely good for a lot of people.

Oh, yeah, I'm not contesting this, hell, just take stuff like Bandcamp that definitely disrupted a traditional music industry by letting anyone publish their music and reap like 90% of the profits rather than needing to negotiate with a studio/label and then get maybe a mere 5%.

But that disruption was a side effect of a better business plan that worked better for the consumer and gave them actual benefits, forcing the old guard to play catch-up with the new reality. These days it feels like a lot of new businesses are pitching themselves like disruption is the main purpose. Like the first line isn't "this thing we're doing is gonna own because it's gonna make things better/easier/cheaper/cooler for people!" it's "this thing is gonna own because it's gonna DISRUPT things, old man!" And I'm baffled that there are idiots who see that as inherently good, like anything's great if it's upsetting stuff.

If that makes sense.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EMoney posted:

Yikes, looks like Asia and European countries will be able to take full advantage of America's insistence on being a laggard on creating regulatory clarity to help promote responsible innovation for the next era of financial rails and next phase of the internet. Just as the American dominated Web2 giants starts to show signs of decay it is clear power will be shifting away from American shores for innovation.

You know the gimmick-posting was funny at first, but the joke's grown stale. You need a new schtick or to take a break.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

So wait, quick question because I guess I’ve never wondered this—when you get lucky and you sell the aged bottles for good money, are you selling bottles you’ve already opened and verified are good? Or is there a way to check which bottles are (debatably) improving and which are (less debatably) spoiling without opening them?

I seem to recall that there was some tech being worked on a while back that'd essentially let you MRI(okay it's clearly not the exact same tech, but bear with me) wine bottles to determine if their various molecular ratios had turned them into hosed up vinegar or not yet, but I also seem to recall some traditionalists being deeply opposed to this(presumably because it would mean a lot of their vinegar could no longer be sold on to other suckers).

EDIT: lmao I googled it for a source and it turns out it was the madman behind Action Park that pioneered it.

https://www.winespectator.com/articles/not-sure-about-a-wines-health-send-it-for-an-mri-2570

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

orange juche posted:

We can read your post history and your rap sheet, and it is quite illuminating. Post like a moron and you will get people who will come at you, because they do not like you posting.

Hey now, some of us donated good money to get that tag, don't slander us by associating that tag with them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

nomad2020 posted:

APB: Reloaded went this route after the developers managed to bankrupt themselves.

The free to play mechanics ruined what enjoyment (and player count) there was to be had in the game.

The free to play mechanics weren't too obtrusive, what annihilated the game was the absolute lack of new content and the flood of hackers that they never managed to do anything about.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This sounds like it's good for Bitcoin.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That's an amazing picture.

But like, can you just avoid a lawsuit in the US indefinitely by being physically unreachable in terms of being served the papers? That seems somewhat exploitable for people who might be rich enough to just hide inside a large property and have other people do their shopping for them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm all for banning fantasy digital money, explicitly - but again:

CBDC doesn't exist, so this is like banning terminator bots from AI before they exist. Okay great but....?

Even if government one day does put out a CBDC it's more than likely it'll be some backend bank settlement poo poo, not something we would do. Like how banks reconcile eurodollars. I'm not expecting they're going to set it up where we just "send 1 CBDC dollar to Ups_rail on the blockchain at dickbutts.cbdc".

The superior option genuinely just seems to be making sure that as few places as possible are so backwoods and unconnected that you'd need a money transfer solution that doesn't check in with the central authority.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Kerbtree posted:

How is the dollar not already a cbdc, practically speaking? It’s issued by the fed and the things get shunted around without physical money changing hands.

The main thing about a CBDC is that it would be a token that would require no checking in with a central authority every time you're shifting it around, theoretically making it easier for two random individuals to exchange their cyberdollars without a middleman and possibly making it more workable in areas without connectivity to banking systems but still robust internet/phone connectivity.

So it's something that's going to have a staggeringly narrow number of usecases outside of "avoiding taxes."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

zedprime posted:

You just described gift cards.

Or physical currency, yes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

acidx posted:

I don't know what micro ec2 is but OneCoin was just making up the price of their coin every day while claiming they had a blockchain.

lmao, that's genius. Evil, but genius.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

oh lmao I completely missed that graph was genuinely posted by a true believer, that makes it even better.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I kinda get what you mean which makes it all the weirder that every crypto-related video game project, even the ones by major video game companies, seems to be made with only the vaguest idea of what a video game is. Also weirder that crypto bros should be exactly the demographic who grew up playing video games as casually as breathing.

I think the "problem" here is that the people who "grew up playing videogames" and actually understand videogames and enjoy them are not the same people who want to jam crypto and NFT's into them for the most part. Instead they're big-brained execs, usually recruited from some other industry entirely, who hear the buzzwords and swallow the bait from some crypto "consultant" whole. Like, any exec who greenlights a crypto project is just a less terminally online Elon Musk. They have the same zero understanding of anything factual, but are very good at parroting the sort of dumb trash that shareholders love to hear because it sounds like "number go up... at no cost and risk!" to them.

Fundamentally every crypto game idea is really just adding hat trading from Team Fortress 2, but this time the hats have gameplay advantages so GameFucker9000 who can afford to drop $5000 on the biggest hat is going to be winning all the matches and there's also only one of that hat in the entire game, with the involvement of NFT's and THE BLOCKCHAIN only being in the hunt for some sort of mysterious utopian game world where some other developer lets GameFucker9000 port over his hats from your game, rather than just selling their own hats.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

SettingSun posted:

Isn't the metaverse just an MMO but with vr

Because all they seem to be doing is reinventing MMO concepts or doing a laborious end run around them for no particular reason.

Second Life with worse performance, less interest and no furry porn, everything is somehow more monetized, but you can go to Walmart.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

Presumably it's gotten even worse as of late, as the mounting federal investigations into various exchanges and the failure of the only American banks that would service crypto orgs has made it even harder to get actual US dollars in or out of the crypto ecosystem.

From what I remember of Divabot's first Crypto book, back in the early days of Bitcoin, during a period where it was literally impossible to get USD out of the exchanges due to banks having blacklisted them all, crypto price in USD still "rose" because of all the just shuffling pogs around on the exchanges that still happened. It helped hammer home how little the official price of crypto has to do with reality.

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm in the middle of watching this, and I have to say, absolute Pro-click! The length put me off initially, but it's extremely well researched and written, and a joy to watch, as "selling" point after selling point of Decentraland/Metaverse bullshit spin is very effectively punctured. It goes into a lot of detail, but every detail is a :lol: !

Dan's videos are generally really great. Even if it's not a subject you're normally interested in, his easy listening cadence, good editing and occasional witty commentary makes it hard not to get sucked in.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Blade Runner posted:

And as we've seen time and time again with Bitcoin, the best and most modern cryptographic security protocols are completely loving worthless if the people using them are stupid

"A steel door in a cardboard frame."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

BoldFace posted:

How do you define getting away with it? He will still be filthy rich with his hidden crypto wallets after he gets released from prison.

lmao, "filthy rich with crypto."

In the imaginary world where it's easy to withdraw crypto into being real money and assuming that it's not just worth wooden nickels by the time he gets out anyway.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

"We've got a lot of plants here." [gestures to scrubby backlot that has a few grasses and weeds]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Boxturret posted:

sbf, while on a vegan diet, ate several shrimp a day for a year and a half, by accident

W- wh- hhhhhhh? How the gently caress do you eat shrimp "by accident"?