Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think this is because that goon liquidated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol i can physically hand someone cash and they instantly have it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nobody has ruined me! Nobody has stolen my coins!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Don't worry you can only make one nft from a particular diamond that is why they are valuable, because unique!!!!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

That's just a crime.

Not if it's car batteries, that's a safe and legal thrill

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

But multiple etherium coins can point to the same url???

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If I had followed the paper trading investment strategy I came up with for my freshman econ class I'd be loaded too.

I picked stocks based on making bad puns with their ticker symbols, and Badger Meter Incorporated has done incredibly well since then.

Which is to be expected since in America BMI always goes up. :dadjoke:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Remember one of the reasons tulipmania bubble popped was because the best tulip colors were actually the symptoms of a deadly virus.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

abigserve posted:

Why's it all monkeys? Why do they all look like dogshit?

Because the AI-generated waifu NFTs didn't make it out of beta.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently they decided that their collectible waifu technology was better suited to a smartphone app.

https://twitter.com/PreferredNetJP/status/1369469604532080641?s=20

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jokes posted:

He held up a hammer in one hand “this can be used to build, destroy, kill and protect”. With his other hand he beheld a great golden bar: “this can entice many to provide goods and services”. He drops them both into the water, to be carried away to the ocean, angering the villagers.

that's utility value

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Any chain of custody on the blockchain would need to reference an authoritative nonblockchain source, so the value add of the blockchain is nothing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ELTON JOHN posted:

hey if anyone here is crypto rich and wants to fund a small development project in the gambia it would save us a lot of time applying for grants. budget is still being worked out but should be less than $45k

How is working with the Barrow government? I was kind of disappointed to hear he went back on the term limit agreement, but I don't know much about the day to day governance.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pseudonymized. They know wallet 17493651848 paid wallet 875714728 a particular amount on a particular date and that record is public and immutable.

So once they know who owns 17493651848 they have the whole history.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also even if you profit off the ponzi scheme they will rake profits back to try to compensate victims

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Log082 posted:

fun story, this isn't necessarily true. My grandfather bought some gold as an "investment" and what he got was some certificates for gold that was stored in a company multiple states away. He's never seen it. Apparently he COULD (or so he says) but...

you could say that what he actually bought was a pointer to a location where gold could be stored

There was a fairly recent case of a big company that did that and massively oversold their actual gold supply

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Was looking for a co2 monitor. Did some research and it seems the cheap ones tend to be dramatically off, but there was a $150 sensor that was consistently tested as accurate.

But wait, they're sold out and cost over a thousand dollars on amazon? I checked out ebay and

https://i.imgur.com/v3od9jm.png

loving blockchainers ruin everything

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

i just want to remind everyone of hatreon, the nazi version of patreon, was coded so badly it allowed people to enter negative numbers and therefore withdraw money from somewhere.

I think some people got some legit money before the regressive ripoff died like all other regressive ripoffs.

Wait really? That siunds hilarious, are there any articles of people doing it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/assets?count=20&sortBy=effectiveDate&sortDir=DESC&start=0&tag=4910

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My guess is that twitter just permanently caches nft avatars like it does with any other avvy image, because they're lazy and hotlinking is bad design.

Since a nft is just a link, you can point to your own server and control the image returned.

So someone could in principle use a single NFT and set up a website to get an unlimited number of people NFT verified just by repeatedly changing the image to their requested avatar and rerunning the same nft over and over

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

things now are neither the worst nor the best. they are in the middle, and both sides have a point

Yep, this is an average year. Worse than last year, better than next year.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bored ape yacht club anagrams to
A Percolated Chubby

And i dont know what that means but it sounds bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arguments are stronger when they focus on main obvious strong points and omit minor ones.

Debate club focuses 100% on how many quasivalid points you can throw out and trains people wrong, as a joke.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tl;dr: crypto bros are wordcels

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

I watch videos of a dude solving really hard sudokus that take an hour+, the nft video was easy

This guy is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKf9aUIxdb4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Somfin posted:

It's close enough for most folks to understand though, and while it's not accurate to the code it's accurate to the state of affairs. The idea of being able to provide your own validator is a bit too deep code practice for most folks to really comprehend.

It's pretty simple. Their policy is basically:

:awesomelon:"You can only transfer the funds if you have a certificate saying you're legit."

:smugjones: "Any kind of certificate?"

:awesomelon:"As long as it says you're legit, yes."

:smugjones:*scribbles 'LEGIT' on a napkin in crayon*

:awesomelon:"That certainly is 'a certificate'. Go ahead."

:smuggo:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFT/comments/sazdee/divorcing_couple_splitting_their_nft_collection/

A lovely version on Reddit, but I’m p sure someone else had done it here because of the template aspect.

FOUND IT:

here's the photoshop thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993394&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I will point out that you can spend subway gift cards on a suprisingly large number of things, including in app purchases in, and subscriptions to, famed MMO Wuxia Online

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

And like all cryptocoins, subway is highly recommended by pedophiles

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol at thinking 'using an inefficient database' makes you a killer app.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You know, you can often buy gift cards direct from restaurants at a pretty significant discount compared to cash (getting 35 dollars of gift card by paying $25 or whatever)

I'll put together an app to run gift card arbitrage, Cardr. Users will get some of the gift card discount, so whenever they use our app they will (for instance) pay $25 cash for $30 of food (getting 20% more food for free!). That will help build up a big userbase, since a 20% discount is huge, and the more users we have, the more money we make.

If we really wanna juice up the profits, we can give people the option of tossing money into their Cardr accounts first (and earn interest on the float). And we can even buy gray-market gift cards at a 50% discount as well, to really improve our ratio. It's free money!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

You know, you can often buy gift cards direct from restaurants at a pretty significant discount compared to cash (getting 35 dollars of gift card by paying $25 or whatever)

I'll put together an app to run gift card arbitrage, Cardr. Users will get some of the gift card discount, so whenever they use our app they will (for instance) pay $25 cash for $30 of food (getting 20% more food for free!). That will help build up a big userbase, since a 20% discount is huge, and the more users we have, the more money we make.

If we really wanna juice up the profits, we can give people the option of tossing money into their Cardr accounts first (and earn interest on the float). And we can even buy gray-market gift cards at a 50% discount as well, to really improve our ratio. It's free money!

Oh hey you could get a free burrito at chipotle

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fullroundaction posted:

Are 51% hacks still on the table? How hasn’t some hacking group sent all this blockchain nonsense to the shadow realm just for the lulz yet?

I don’t want to live in a world where profit > lulz

there was a recent case where someone did a complicated thing to take out a five minute coinloan and borrowed over 51% of the smart contract's ownership which meant he had the power to rewrite it and give him all the stored money, which he did

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have to admit I feel very dumb and old cause I’ve read this whole thing and I understood absolutely nothing and I don’t even know the meaning of half the terms used

Like “Gnosis safe”, “synapse and hop bridges “ it sounds like made up technical gibberish from a comedy sketch to me

It means we need some U-RTV units to purge U-DO

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

would a buttcoin tcg be even more broken then the early sets of the pokemon tcg?

Wasn't there a deck with mewtwo and 99 energies where you could just keep mulliganning yoyr first hand until you got turn 1 mewtwo and all the energy he needed to win?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what's the difference between buying crypto and buying miami real estate?

https://twitter.com/connpost/status/1538227175731634180

Either way you're going to end up underwater!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

run on sentience posted:

Is it just that there is a record in their spreadsheet that manbaby88 owns the jpeg at whatever location or with a certain key?
How are these worth anything?
Just because the nft maker says so?
Like coins they are only worth what the next idiot is willing to pay?
What if the nft hosting server disappears?

1) Yes, exactly, it is 'ownership' of a text string (which usually is a url), and that's it. (The url does not convey ownership of whatever is at the underlying url)

2) a fool and his monkey are soon paired

3) yes, but they said it with marketing buzzwords and big promises.

4) yep

5) you're poo poo out of luck

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LordoftheScheisse posted:

I got "tipped" some Bitcoins on Reddit like a decade ago. I totally forgot about it, but when I went to look into it the site that was in charge of the transaction or whatever was gone. No idea how much I "had," but I wish I'd have actually looked into it way back then instead of letting it languish.

IIRC those 'tips' expired if they were unclaimed within a couple weeks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like that the creator of the NFT term clearly wanted people to call them 'Nifty' and nobody did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's like how SCSI got pronounced 'scuzzy' instead of 'sexy'