Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Just got back from two week Beijing trip.

Observations:
1. The 地铁 kicks rear end
2. In spite of being absolutely party controlled propaganda, their TV news was so much more informative and relevant that I physically gagged when I saw CNN in a US airport
3. In spite of how low wages are, they still automated employees away at McDonald's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jose posted:

How is city tier determined? Is it an.official classification

First tier cities just say their name when shown in a movie.

"London"

Second tier cities they have to remind you what country they're in

"Madrid, Spain"

Third tiers are just like
"Somewhere in southern Iowa"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I mean, the great firewall alone is reason enough to go "gently caress that"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Malkina_ posted:

I too believe theatlantic gives a bearded gently caress about the Uighurs in-between their op-eds telling americans how they deserve to die with no healthcare and the cops need more money

There's a correct way to mass murder muslims, and it involves dropping hellfire missiles from 10,000 feet.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Rutibex posted:

China spends about the same as the USA on policing 5x the population

Laws are just paper, the real authoritarian measure is police budget

Well there's that, and the ability of the empowered to completely circumvent the legal processes that are supposed to project everyone equally.

Good thing we don't have that problem here in the US.

Yep. Sure is good.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

It's gonna own when America's complete inability to resolve problems hits a real problem instead of something trivial like a deadly plague

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

What are the Olympics truly about if not grifting?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Some Guy TT posted:

do they have a rationalization for why they needed to do this that isnt literally just yea we love nazis

Anticommunism, usually. That's the entire fig leaf the Ukrainian right puts on being open and shut Nazis

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
But seriously, the right wing within the CCP is pushing for banning abortion and contraception until a woman's third kid. I don't think they have the influence to achieve that, unlike here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

R. Guyovich posted:

according to whom? the spate of articles about this a few months back came from a deliberate misreading of the source text

My wife, I guess. I don't follow many Chinese language sources directly, as I'm still learning the language.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

KomradeX posted:

Funny how that's kept out of what little gets taught about Tiananmen Square in US schools, if they ever get to it

? ? It's right there in the text book. There's a tank, and a man. Tankman. Very detailed. Very clear.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

huhwhat posted:

anyways heres a wholesome start to another plague ridden year

https://twitter.com/shen_shiwei/status/1476855733358510080?s=20

Who's a fillial boy? Who's a fillial boy?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Tankies are bad*

*Offer void for all panzers

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I called it The Ukraine literally because of Risk.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Goast posted:

hey pyf guys every single post you see demonizing china are the same assholes that convinced you the iraq war was a good idea just doing the same thing, again, almost two decades later

you loving rubes

This is the feeling I can't shake.

"Look at these blurry satellite images, they're definitely secret prisons" rang very very very very familiar. I'm lib brained enough that I can't stand the idea of engaging in genocide denial. But damnit you can't be fooled again.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
It also shows why communism can't work in the US, without a cultural revolution.

Because someone screaming "I'm a party member" here would 100% of the time be Karening to speak to your manager

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Tibet is just Quebec with foreign backing, huh?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
There's more evil, less democratic countries in the world than the us. Like 3 or 4 at least. Can't we all get along?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Centrist Committee posted:

it’s exhausting to have to filter every post through an irony calculator

This but unironically

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

But at what cost?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Truga posted:

i googled anne applebaum and she appears to be an american millionaire from yale so i'll just apriori assume she's another rich faildaughter "journalist" and everything she says about anything outside the USA is insanely wrong

You're mistaken.

Everything she says about anything inside the US is also insanely wrong

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Googling the TRXK3XBK of that path part goes to the podesta email leaks on WikiLeaks :eyepop::tinfoil:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Nonsense posted:

Russia is a rogue state. They aren’t entitled to good faith.

Rolling a wizard or cleric state is much more op

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

A few of these assholes sent my wife threats for posting an innocuous "I guess some of the skins they changed made me uncomfortable before, so I prefer the new ones, personally" take on Chinese social media.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Lol, they're seriously trying to make fantastic 4 again. Disney is going for a record for number of flops with the exact same title

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Tankbuster posted:

That little boy is doing the floss dance.

But not for more than an hour a week

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Arming Nazi terrorists is all the pretense you need for a false flag (or real flag) Nazi terror attack in Russia as a casius belli.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Feldegast42 posted:

Ukraine has been apart of Russia for hundreds of years, why would I care if it reclaims it now (other than war sucks and is bad, but then why are we pushing for war over it)

To be honest, being a conquered people has historically been very bad, humanistically.

War is bad, but so too is the part after war where the victor takes from you until they've sated their greed.

As an American, I know my own nation's greed is the only reason we've fought any wars for 80 years, so I'm against intervention on the basis of basic loving pattern recognition. But I do care about what Ukrainian people might suffer.

Otoh, getting in a shooting war with Russia might wipe out humanity, so who can say if it's good or not

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The weird part is admitting it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Agrajag posted:

lmao wtf is up with nyt and their blatant sinophobic articles

They want you to feel morally justified when the entire planet is an irradiated crater, op

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

sexpig by night posted:

it honestly must suck to be a Uyghur who tries to push back on this stuff, just the most infantilizing assholes saying you sharing your life experiences is a government psy-op that some evil CCP agent is holding a gun to their head to post

But the guy who drew some MS paint boxes on Google maps won a Pulitzer! People living in xianjiang aren't credible.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
"The west will stand together"

"Wait. Migrants? Must Brexit immediately"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Mantis42 posted:

God they're even beating us at hamburgers.

We've still got better ice cream. We're fine, everything is fine.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

McCracAttack posted:

We had 100 tons of "lethal aid" on a plane half way around the world in days meanwhile I still can't find COVID tests anywhere in my city. That's funny.

Seems like you got lethal aid too, why are you complaining?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Palladium posted:

Im noticing a pattern with lovely opnionators and sexual deviancy

Look don't insult me by comparing me to nyt columnists

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What's novel about it is they're manufacturing consent for a war that's not going to happen.

If you want a coup, prepare for war

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

And surely this is a baseless concern without any historical precedent.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The US killing a million people to save face is normal. Not worth reporting

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

sexpig by night posted:

'we will invade Ukraine and conquer them in the name of Russia...after the olympics, let everyone have fun first'.

Should do it at opening ceremony so all the medal winners from Ukraine have to have the Russian anthem played for their awards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Casually planning nuclear war on Google maps