Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

I can't wait for Xi to show up in support of the next BLM protest. I'm sure nothing bad could arise from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

He's also assuming that China doesn't have modern medicine. China recently self built a Carbon Ion therapy machine which is one of the most advanced methods of treating cancer. While it was discovered in America we still do not have any clinics that use the tech in the States.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

is something happening with the PRC economy? bank runs?

From what I've read it's that smaller regional/local banks have been over lending and getting into some bad debt and then having their credit ratings lowered by the National Bank of China and if it gets really bad they just nationalize the smaller banks.

But people have "been spreading rumors" about smaller banks causing people to bank run them, the rumor spreaders get arrested though and all the cash in the banks are apparently protected by insurance.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Based

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

That's not even how race works anyway

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that Bejing was cool with letting Hong Kong have universal suffrage for 2017 and onwards but neither side was ever okay with the others proposals

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Kill All Cops posted:

Beijing's version of universal suffrage was instead of a 1200 member committee voting for 3 candidates chosen by a 1200 member committee, the public would vote for 3 candidates chosen by a 1200 member committee, and pevan stan thinks this is a massive insult to China when the people thought universal suffrage means being able to choose who those 3 candidates were

Was the 1200 member committee also elected?

Edit: it was planned to be elected like the Election Committee is elected

Mayman10 has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Nov 20, 2019

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

If Hong Kong wants universal suffrage just let them fully integrate into China already duh

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Grapplejack posted:

They would likely get voting delegates in the NC at that point and that is undesirable for Xi and the party for a number of reasons.

Hong Kong already has delegates in the NPC, all SARs do

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Scionix posted:

if china was star wars who would be darth vader

the island of taiwan

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Man Musk posted:

they're for sticking pigs

"Media liaison"

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

whatever7 posted:

Or you can find a job outside of HK. I don't want to be mean but its easier for a Taiwanese graduate to find a job in mainland than a Hong Konger.

Wait really? I thought it would be the reverse

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

whatever7 posted:

It's Beijing's new policy toward Taiwan, skipping the TW government and directly treat Taiwanese as Chinese citizen both in domestic job/education/property ownership rights, and oversea embassy assistance.

There is also the problem of Taiwanese starting wages haven't increased in the last 20 years.

drat that's a smart play

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Looking forward to rear end in a top hat china watchers condemning this:

https://twitter.com/Chris_kC11/status/1197870020841242624?s=20

Tbh thought same sex was already ok in China. I remember everyone talking about the sex ed books for elementary schoolers that covered the topic. Glad to see they're finally legalizing marriage fully

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

I'm sure nothing will go down during tomorrow's elections

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

The power play is to not send any police out what so ever so that way they can't possibly get blamed for election interference (they'll still get blamed)

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

From a Reddit post claiming elderly people are being bribed with those pillows to vote pro-Bejing candidates

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

HorseLord posted:

Could also just be a picture of two old people coming back from the store with some bullshit written at the top for political purposes.

No that's too far fetched, obviously the CPC is using luxury pillows and the elderly to undermine democracy in Hong Kong

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

drat DAB is getting demolished in the elections so far

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

MrMoo posted:

Even if you were Team Red, voting DAB makes no sense as they have done nothing to bring stability to HK in the last 6 months. Regina Ip’s prodigy brings nothing but further corruption to the table.

Oh yeah I'm sure it's their own fault too, I'm more surprised by just how much they're getting bodied so far

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

The DC elections only make up 5 seats in leg co anyway and I can't imagine pro-dem is gonna do well in the FC elections

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Those are just the names of the camps, names can be misleading sure but it's the names they picked

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

MrMoo posted:

i.e. she had to pay taxes? I'm spotting a little one-sided story here.

Probably meant the horrendous racism and crippling opioid addiction

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

MrMoo posted:

That doesn't relate to the comment: "The British sucked so much money out of us", which would be more insightful to hear further about.

"Treated us like dirt... Grew up poor and discriminated"

It related.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Atopian posted:

...then you give two of the balls pillows, and another two white shirts and machetes.

Yo I'd vote for a machete, that's badass

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Nothing more Roman than making up your own nickname based on how you think the cool kids will remember you

Yeah everyone knows you have to let someone else come up with your cognomen

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Modest Mao posted:

Also you know that every SA poster is a China Watcher Expert when they say construction in china is 差不多 (Chabuduo, more or less/close enough) instead of 豆腐渣工程 - tofu engineering

豆腐渣 is the waste product of tofu idk what to call it in english

Tofu engineering :yum:

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

for example, in Libya there was a clear responsibility 2 prote--

*RPG-7 warhead flies through the window and slams into bloodnose's EVE Online gaming rig*

me, popping into frame like in a kelly cartoon at the onion: "well, at least he died actively fighting for the dumb crap he believed in, more than i can say..."

:lol:

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

China really said :lol:

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Get his rear end

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1202679031491117057?s=19

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

What Disco Elysium character is this?

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Atopian posted:

I...
Uh...
*makes choking noise*
I... agree with Capslock.

It's more likely than you think

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

China has chad carbon ion radiation therapy and the US uses virgin proton therapy

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Spergin Morlock posted:

I meant the Athenians and Spartans were literally cocks out while they competed. shot put was the original meatspin

:actually: the Spartans did not compete in the Olympics (besides chariot racing) because they figured if they lost in an event their image of unbeatable warrior badasses would be shattered. Then the Helots, which were subjugated mostly under the pretext they could never beat the Spartans, would revolt.

Chariot racing was the exception because it was not the driver who won but the sponsor of the chariot and horses. It's actually how the first woman won an Olympic event, a Spartan woman sponsored a chariot.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

A security force in Afghanistan to prevent the Saudis from doing another 9/11. Okay Dan.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Maximo Roboto posted:

House Harkonnen must send legions to Arrakis to prevent Atreides from using it as a training camp for Fremen jihadis who could oppose the Imperial Sardaukar

Idk that Paul kid is always talking about stopping a jihad, I'm sure there's no way he'd let that happen

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

The Chinese ambassador to the UN followed me on twitter, I think this means I'm officially a CPC bot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

crepeface posted:

after the recent outbreak they tested 11.3 million people in wuhan and found 9 cases.

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1424532989455781894?s=20

Bloomberg news had a story out recently lambasting China for attempting to fight the virus instead of learning to live with it, like the West. Somehow China is the bad guy for trying to ensure the virus doesn't become endemic in their population.