Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

the pronunciation of letter names was one of countless groundbreaking reforms instituted by Ataturk, who returned the letters to their original nature after the Arabs forced Turks to pronounce the letter K wrong. you might be chided for saying K that way as a child, even if it “slips through” once in a while, no matter how hard you try.

in this highly normal country, one of the most prominent shibboleths for whether you support the PKK or not is whether you pronounce PKK the way one would in “standard” Turkish or the cruder sounding alternative pronunciation that is frowned upon for racist reasons having to do with Arabs. PKK supporters will loudly and proudly say it the “right” way one would in Turkish, whereas the nationalists (essentially everyone else in Turkey) regress to this embarrassing condition.

so. idk.

how do you pronounce idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m guessing the separatists in this context are “ethnically chinese” americans with subversive loyalty to beijing, might be better to put them in special campsites until this thing blows over

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if i was a ukrainian i’d get one of those free guns because they’re probably going to be good currency after the war is finished

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

by this logic wouldnt 2024 be the year?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if tibet comes up in conversation now a clever so-and-so will mention how tibet is a main water source for china, and it’s in their national interest to never let it go, but that it’s also india’s main water source … and might drag them both into a war

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ending american hegemony

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's weird Modi is so afraid of using his own currency to buy energy, they still don't have a direct currency deal with Russia.

The Indian people see Russia as fam! Much more so than the Chinese people to Russia.

https://twitter.com/GarimaMo/status/1628317070931656705?s=20

(The 5% Americans who see Russia as ally are all in Brighten Beach or CSPAM)

there was that short window early in the war on terror when some people thought we would have a pan western eurasian alliance against the forces of islam

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if the country is building whole international airports so the big guy on top can fly to his home town once in a while, your country probably has bigger problems than irresponsible loans

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

oh no these made up numbers on a spreadsheet have been wasted on this useless bridge

also the bridge is made of poor quality and won’t last for infinity years

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's the indian equivalent of this

astonishing

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the big “secret” in tennis is that it is also massively corrupt with rampant match fixing and copious use of performance enhancing drugs

the sharapova incident could have led to something but i guess it’s in everyone’s interest to ignore it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Comrade Koba posted:

jfc that motherfucker is literally a century old and still somehow has the energy and mental presence to go across the world and do diplomacy poo poo like this

it’s amazing, especially compared to biden who is one of those old people who can hop, jump and skip everywhere but has a brain of pudding

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Free? Hong Kong!

but at what cost?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this is when that lunatic turns up with his brick crane battery thing, as opposed to a dam filled with water via a large screw

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fart simpson posted:

is 22% of chinas market a big deal?

it’s also who is that 22%, the apple iphone user is very likely to be rich and happy to spend money, an absolute gold mine for advertisers and companies

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

chinas exports falling as exclusively their problem is essentially saying it’s good for the west to cut off their nose for spite their face, as long as we take china down with us

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

what the gently caress?

what’s to fear?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Guangzhou's older districts have narrow roads and slower traffic flow.

So while it's scary to cross the road when you do it the first few days, you just wait for the herd of pedestrians and cross the road together and it will be fine. Also look at the eyes of the bus drivers when you are crossing so they step on the brakes.

the “look into the drivers eyes” is astonishingly good advice when crossing the road, sometimes i like to wave and do the nod smile like i know the person but that’s for emergencies only

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Taffer posted:

Can anyone write some words about the Judge-ordered liquidation of Evergrande and what effects it might have? I'm particularly curious how it got in such a mess in the first place.

I wish I had better sources for this stuff but all western reporting on China is psychotic, never quite sure where to look

Chinese developer Evergrande ordered to be wound up by Hong Kong court

it’s a relatively short article

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it looks like she throws the grenade like 2 m

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

insane china link to the current british royal family nonsense courtesy of my fave celeb news letter popbitch

quote:

>> Storage wars <<
China v The Cholmondeleys

For reasons that Messrs Harbottle & Lewis would rather we didn't explain, a number of internet users have recently been scouring through old pictures of David Cholmondeley and his wife Lady Sarah Rose. Specifically a couple of 'At Home With The Cholmondeleys'-style photoshoots that show the Marquess and Marchioness draped across some rather gorgeous antique Chinese furniture they have installed in their country pile, Houghton Hall.

The pieces have now caught the eye of Chinese TikTokkers who were curious as to their provenance. It didn't take much sleuthing to discover that David's grandmother was Sybil Cholmondeley – née Sassoon. Of the same Sassoons who did such a roaring trade in opium in China in the 19th century. And also had a decent sideline in pillaging goods as the Qing dynasty collapsed.

So it seems fairly clear which side China is going to take in the rural rivalry.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i might be able to get one of these next year

i’d also love to own my own turkish national but i don’t have the garden space to let him run around

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

That's his name now.

was thinking the same thing

surnames being your job just makes sense

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Boat Stuck posted:

Fun fact, China didn't really have gun control until 1993 when 5000 people from two villages in Hunan fought a 2-day battle over a blood feud with WW II surplus guns + homemade artillery and shut down the Beijing-Guangzhou railway (which passes between the two villages).

https://www.quora.com/I-heard-that-...or-is-it-a-myth

i misread that as “fire control” and was bemused how it took a clan war between two villages to first develop the technology

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Beijing half marathon hit by controversy as China’s He Jie allowed to win

quote:

Organisers of the Beijing half marathon are investigating the men’s race after two Kenyans and one Ethiopian runner appeared to deliberately allow China’s He Jie to win.

Footage of the final few hundred metres of the race seemingly shows Robert Keter and Willy Mnangat of Kenya and Ethiopia’s Dejene Hailu Bikila slow down and gesture in front of them, encouraging He to pass and take the lead.

The four athletes, who had run together for the whole race, then ran side by side to the finish line, before the three Africans dropped back to let He cross the tape first.

Mnangat told BBC Sport that they were running as pacemakers for He, who is the Chinese national champion in the full marathon distance. “I was not there to compete,” Mnangat said. “It was not a competitive race for me.”

Immediately after the race the Kenyan initially said he allowed He to win “because he is my friend”. “He comes to Kenya and I was [pacing for him] in the Wuxi Marathon, so he is my friend, OK,”
Mnangat told the South China Morning Post.

Mnangat said the three African runners, as well as a fourth who did not finish the race, were hired to pace He to a Chinese half marathon record.

“I don’t know why they put my name on my bib/chest number instead of labelling it as a pacemaker,” Mnangat told the BBC. “My job was to set the pace and help the guy win but unfortunately, he did not achieve the target, which was to break the national record.”

Winning in a time of 1:03.44, He fell short of the record by one minute and 11 seconds, while Mnangat, Keter and Bikila tied for second place.

The Beijing Sports Bureau confirmed to AFP they were investigating the circumstances around the finish and any results would be “promptly disclosed to the public”.

In a statement World Athletics said: “We are aware of the footage circulating online from the Beijing half marathon this weekend and understand an investigation is currently being conducted by the relevant local authorities. The integrity of our sport is the highest priority at World Athletics, while this investigation is ongoing we are unable to provide further comment.”

quite a heart warming story or friendship/ evil chinese cheating boo

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

good news for their export economy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the only hope armenia has is if iran intervenes when azerbaijan attacks, but even then

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

Iran has a very large azeri minority population. I doubt they want to get entangled there

ignoring the azeri minority, the iranian state would not allow an ally of israel to cut off its access point to the caucasus and allow a direct land connection with turkey, potentially another ukraine situation with nato

as far as i’m aware the azeris are well integrated and not necessarily friends of the authoritarian regime either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

jokes on them, europe will never ever build the infrastructure which would allow more than a token few electric cars on the road