Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

rovert posted:

I tried it/accidentally downloaded it a few times. It simply isn't for me and that's okay. But I always hear very nice things about both from fans and indie wrestlers.

Anyway, Facelock Feministas is well worth recommending you are interested in UK Wrestling. Both hosts are American but they in the last year became converts to that scene and are pretty much the face of US Progress. Very intelligent and articulate analysis of Pro Wrestling by two underrepresented voices.
https://soundcloud.com/facelockfeministas
https://twitter.com/FacelockFemmes

Even you aren't interested show reviews their interviews are quite good standalone podcasts.

Since those are some long-rear end episodes to leap into- any recommendations on best episodes to listen to for a newbie?

Also, Vodcasts should be discussed in this thread, no?

Therefore:

OSW Review: 3 irishmen chronologically critique wrestling storylines or eras, PPV by PPV. Disliked by some for percieved racism and sexism, they nevertheless have high production values, and a legion of fans allowing them to do this full time!

(someone previous mentioned The Nobodies, but here it is again)
Nobdies watching wrestling: Drag Queens reviewing wrestling. Questionable wrestling knowledge, high weave knowledge. If you want a sassy look at wrestling where the fashion is as important as the finishes, look no further!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's kinda of amazing how many lows The Undertaker gimmick was able to survive. Out of any top level guy the gimmick had way more of it's share than anybody else.

It's kind of the magic of wrestling. You can survive pretty much anything if you are: 1)fantastic as a performer; 2)and win all the time; 3) still place limits on what you will not do.

Like Bray and Kane are both jokes because they do stupid poo poo, but also lose all the time and allow their characters to do dumb poo poo. Kane has generally done stupid rear end poo poo Undertaker would never do (The Santino trombone dance, corporate slacks Kane). Bray dressed in drag, won via hologram, the house of horrors. But Undertaker could always fall back on loving murdering dudes, and not been chumped out on Vince's whim. I'm honestly kind of shocked we haven't had Bray shilling fast food.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

No casualties, no buys!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

Their current ambassadors include sex tape participants and people with drug, indecent exposure, and domestic violence arrests on their record. I'm not sure exactly how much impact the Hogan tape has at this stage considering we're now a decade removed from when he said it - unless this is a hardline position from a major sponsor.

The difference is, people care. Given someone mentioned X-Pac I assume you mean him, but mainstream press don't give a poo poo about the ambassador's discretions, whereas Hulk's were major stories.

And I'm surprised people aren't also saying re. value- Hulk is indeed likely rich as gently caress after the gawker deal- while the initial $140 million was appealed, they settled on $31 million. Now, while he had backers, and lawyers to pay, that would have him set for some time. Hulk would likely want a lot, and it would be questionable how much he would bring in.

Jerusalem posted:

A large part of the appeal of the Observer's audio stuff for me is that I can throw on headphones and listen to it while doing other stuff, working out, heading somewhere else etc. The video format would require largely just sitting there passively watching THEM just sitting there talking, which doesn't make any kind of sense to me.

I can see some value in it. Being able to flick through to watch them reacting to the funniest bits will add to the humour- the visual/social associations of laughter and smiling are more powerful than just audio.

But completely seperate? I could see like.....$3-5 option on top of subscription, if I didn't have a subscription, maybe. But it's a high price to pay for the value it might add.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Mauro's mama mia catchphrase is awful and always feels forced, his pop culture references are always cringe "the human fidget spinner" (I think that was Rich Swann?). Agreed with the comment about how he should tune back from 11 to 7.

Percy actually had a few lines that were either insightful or helped tell the story, so marks to him for improving.

God would I love Excalibur Chuck Taylor commentary on WWE.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Karmine posted:

I get what you mean, but there's a big difference between doing a promo in front of 8000 people in an arena and doing one in front of 400 people in a TV studio.

I was amazed at the rumble, Maria Menounos when she first started the introductions got awkwardly distracted by some tiny, barely perceptible heckle. And she's a professional!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Booked himself in one match as:

Rumble entrant #30
The guy who eliminated Reigns andDean
Two-time Rumble winner
9-time WWE champ
14-time world champ

And booked himself as the Wrestlemania eventer for the.....6thish time.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Yeah, I kinda mentioned this a couple pages ago. Bryan's shtick walks a fine line between entertaining and "how can you have done this job for so long and still not understand how WWE works?"

Consistent bafflement is better than being jaded.

Being a podcast host does require some level of being animated, if they actually went as low energy as they doubtless feel for their midnight recording sessions, it'd loving suck to listen to. Imagine 3 Craigs

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well I hope he stays rumbles only because I’m never unhearing that now

They know he's 1-3 times a year max.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Rick posted:

Cole is not a great announcer who can call a match anywhere and make it huge, but he is definitely the all time best at doing the weird WWE PR/Vince Sermons/Advertising/Match Calling hybrid with a straight face that has taken hold in the WWE over the years.

So he's the best of all time at doing bad announcing?

If you watched the year+ of heel Michael Cole you would have zero regrets on saying you would be happy if he went away forever.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Do you think we'll get paisley segments in the future like we do granny

I hope he will consider it immoral to put his child to work.

Plus I doubt she'd have the same occasional gem of getting true insight into the nature of pro wrestling granny gets.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

Has Craig ever added a single thing to any hour of radio he's been on

This is a legitimate question, I've listened for a long time and he's just bitchy white noise

He's sometimes slightly amusing, but I just remember he adds the value that Bryan & Vinny needed a 3rd so they didn't hate each other as much.

They've being bickering on radio for more than a decade.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Becky gets put over almost nonstop. The entirety of Raw revolved around Becky despite the fact Becky is technically not even on the show.

Hell, the Royal Rumble before WM30 was Daniel Bryan losing clean to Bray Wyatt, who wasn't even portrayed as being anywhere near as good as Asuka is portrayed as.

The WM30 plan was Orton vs Batista. The fans literally rebelled against their poo poo booking of Daniel Bryan, including said clean loss. The actual story doesn't make any sense if you watch it unless you understand the fans forced WWE to change their lovely story.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

yea ok posted:

i hated the granny segments for a long time but now that sh'es just an old lady losing her mind being exploited for laughs i really do get a kick out of all the hosed up wrestler and move names

I love her occasional gems of insight from the casual fan perspective on bad selling, variety in modern WWE, and how much something being different and goofy is worth a lot.

Non-smark perspective is fun, being incredibly weird grandma is good

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

He's seen a handful of episodes and liked them.

But unfortunately for Bryan he doesn't have much time for tangentially related wrestling things in his ridiculous schedule. I'm unsurprised he doesn't watch much outside of his required, he has to watch and subsequently discuss an insane amount of pro wrestling.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

dave once made reference to "the finish" of the 2000 pres election

Apt

Edge & Christian posted:

I love when an old wrestler (or the Talkin' Shop people when really drunk) approach Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo levels of using gimmick.

"So his whole gimmick was to sell gimmicked gimmicks at the gimmick table, but he'd taken some gimmicks backstage so he pulled out his shoot gimmick when he was supposed to have gimmicked it to be a gimmick gimmick."

Also when Bryan (or anyone) talks about sports using wrestling lingo, there was some huge heat on the ref in the third quarter when the Warriors were down but the crowd popped huge when the Cavaliers put them over.

Or Bryan's belief that all public speeches are 'promos'.

Bryan and Vinny reviewing other things like it was wrestling was always fun. Battlefield Earth, Mickey Mouse Club House, the potpourri should be more of a grab bag sometimes.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it was good, though I disagree with his take about not wanting to see that the wrestlers are normal people. He makes a good point about larger than life characters being incredibly compelling, but I think it's a bit of an old school mentality and a lot of people actually prefer knowing that the people they see on television/on shows are just regular, ordinary people. It humanizes them and makes it easier to get behind them.

Good to have listened. Generally there's a middle ground- some characters and persons do really well out of being humanised, while others just appear as he said, just chumps who aren't very good at their job and happy to be there.

The 'brand is king' thing combined with 'management is evil' make WWE a very weird watch sometimes. As they pointed out, because the draft isn't a story, it's too much like reality, the McMahons arbitrarily changed people around for their own enjoyment.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

It's bizarre, because they resist terms and concepts like tournaments and drafts because they don't want to be sports (although that's the only reason they're as profitable as they are, because everyone else sees them as that) but in doing so they're also avoiding what actual scripted TV would do. No competition between brands for the draft meant there were basically no stakes, and without stakes, why should we care? People are invested in Game Of Thrones because it's been set up that the characters we like can die, they can lose, and it matters when they do, so we want to see certain ones succeed and others fail. WWE doesn't want wins and losses to matter because then they have to actually worry about week-to-week continuity but that means no-one gives a gently caress if anyone wins a specific match outside of very rare cases like Kofi/Bryan.

It's continually amazing how badly written the shows are. Lance and Bryan shouldn't be stating as an obvious fact that there's no long term plans and they do things arbitrarily. Why is it bad? Because it's all bad and written in a clusterfuck.

This shouldn't be your reviewers consensus on your show.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Catching up on B&V, the first Jericho title "win"....

:negative:

HHHs attitude at the time was "gently caress Jericho".

HHH is the worst. They are trying to establish him as a star by portraying him as stronger than pretty much everyone but the very top faces, while being a dick all the time. But his form of being a dick is almost always dismissively beating people up.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i kinda hate listening to lance because he's so hyper focused on the wrestling he misses the entertainment aspect

Are we listening to the same Lance? He doesn't like the over the top aspects because they're so often bad, but just wants compelling plots told well.

The heel insulting a major face then winning clean just reduces Bayley without building Charlotte.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Raffles posted:

dude has had a long writing/journalism career outside of F4W - i think you're selling him a bit short here.

Most journalists I've seen are indeed really bad at filing their stuff. Them just destroying the file is odd- you'd think they'd take thevsalient points and put them in a thread on the board.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Rob or Bryan does a poor comedy job, by Rob having dignity and Bryan is too harsh. Rather than him being an oafish figure who Bryan can humorously blame for things going wrong, Bryan is just an rear end in a top hat.

I don't miss the songs and drops too much, but sometimes just listening to them futz about video for 2 minutes isn't very exciting.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

rovert posted:

They found three female Wrestling fans at Starrcast

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1132848667969245184

Trinity is an awesome fan.

Pro click in general.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Lid posted:

Its going to be traced back to the Cena era as the building blocks of destruction, remember Cena's endless "overcoming the odds" and caricature opponents like Umaga and just, the issue wasnt Cena was on top per se it was that he was the only one allowed to be on top and the joke was the boos from men and the cheers from women and children

When Cena dropped off they had no way to retain those people because they put Cena on top ahead of numerous numerous talent that was ready for the main event but they refused to even consider a different face. Their plan was to move the face to Roman Reigns but they didn't anticipate it being rejected so heavily and kept pushing through hoping it would work, leading to The Four Coronations. Then he finally got cheered, because he got cancer, and because of that they're afraid of putting him on top because of longetivity and Optics.

I can't believe how I can look back on the lolcenawins era and think how much better the booking was. Like they actually pushed Cena, there was no doubt he was the top guy, and they generally had him do things that people who liked him liked, and used him successfully - this made them money. I can look back and his first 2 reigns of doom really did their job of cementing him as a major star - only Brock has gotten the same treatment. Punk didn't, Daniel Bryan didn't, KO had a 6 month reign where he constantly looked like a joke, and Reigns has had a laughable time on top for "the guy". Most everyone has been booked in a way that's made them just another guy.

Like I'm listening through the retro review by B&V(&C), and the discussion of the Triple H reign of terror and highly questionable build.....they built up the star who stayed. Like, it built up a star who made them money long term. This simple thing hasn't happened in so loving long.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 12, 2019

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Lid posted:

"Punk didn't, Daniel Bryan didn't, KO had a 6 month reign where he constantly looked like a joke"

These were all during the Cena era. the thing is about the Cena era is its the Cena era, period. There was no Rock to his Austin, there was endless OVERCOMING THE ODDS despite there being no foil build up to be his opponent. they tried with Randy Orton who they desperately wanted it to be, but it wasn't. He had a foil in Edge, but Edge was never meant to be the face just a main event foil.

The closest they got was Punk as that was a perfect pairing and feud but they were terrified of having another face on top so they never booked him as Cena's equal, he won over Cena, he got the title, but he was never his equal except for what the fans wanted. They should've wanted SHEAMUS.

Punk was a catch 22 about leaving (they didn't want to fully invest in him because he might leave, he left because they didn't fully invest in him), Daniel Bryan did have an injury, but KO was long after the real Cena era. At some point past 2010 they seem to have lost the ideas of how to make someone dominant and interesting.

*sigh* instead we get Sheamus - as in a bland version of a character who's only okay at promos and the WWE mold doesn't allow him to reach his potential in the ring. It's so sad to watch :(

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

We've reached the true madness of Hogan's memoir and this episode is really good.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1140813170774351874

"Maybe I could be a transvestite, or a bad guy in his film. Maybe a transvestite bad guy in a film" what the actual gently caress, Hogan? Fun breakdown.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

yea ok posted:

all time ending to b&v this week

And the motion wave gun?!?!?

I hope they review it at some point

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Too many podcasts to track. Which one is Dave selling me on a cruise?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

Brian's exasperation about that Jarrett segment was hilarious. If you watch this, you'll hate wrestling and my daughter won't go to college.

It was good poo poo.

Also boy the retro reviews are great. Giving you constant insight into why WCW died, and their horror at seeing the bad booking on Raw that they never learned from to this day.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Oh and did anyone else enjoy from the retro review this week when they were discussing Kuala Lumpur that they almost certainly forgot about the hemisphere difference?

Someone please let Bryan know so he can look up the summer temperatures and become aghast.

Edit : a quick Google makes me the fool, apparently the temperature highs and lows are basically the same every month somehow?

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 12, 2019

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Lid posted:

He even said he wouldnt care if it sank

But im forever disappointed Bryan promised the finisher for him and Tom would be the double stump puller and they havent even used it once

They've only had one match and it was against the really old Rock and Roll express. This second match they might pull it out, stretch the poo poo out of the promise.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Second to last episode on the Hogan bio! If you've ever wanted to hear Hulk's thoughts on his big WCW run well, he ignores most of it to make up stories about celebrities!

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1150089225800429569

That Jesse Ventura sure is a bitter man.

Nothing as outrageous as the last,but thanks for a great podcast Hulkamatt!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Thanks, although I think him devoting a chapter to Hulkster in Heaven is pretty close to anything in the first half of the book.

Look that's pretty good, but my highlight on listening has to be his thoughts on potential casting by Stephen Spielberg.

Also the idea of Hulk been trained to shoot for a full year before getting a new trainer who informed him pro wrestling is fake and he should work.

jesus WEP posted:

Getting real loving sick of horny Craig

I thought he was explicitly there just because Bryan and Vinny need a break from just doing the podcast with each other? But there are better potential co-hosts out there.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

rotinaj posted:

I was watching an OSW Review episode and hadn't actually thought at all about the term "Nogger", and how they use it as the name of their fanbase. And so I looked it up and it was based on a What Bar, which was talking about what bar Virgil was.

They seemed very pleased with being able to use something that's almost the N-bomb, and don't even try to justify it by describing his outfit as like the packaging. Do they actually defend it further, or is it literally just an old, lovely, kind of racist joke?

The last one.

jesus WEP posted:

I died at Dave limiting himself to just Raw and AEW. And NXT. Oh and UFC. And Smackdown.

Even better since it starts with Bryan saying "in most normal companies," they would split duties. So the steamroller said he better watch everything but his favourite thing to watch.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Great review of the latest episode of gently caress Nitro on B&V tonight.

Also infuriating Bryan mistakes, where he completely confused what Lance told him, and gave the Jacques Rougeau story as PCO's story.

Admittedly the PCO story was hilarious for another reason. They never intended to get him a Visa and just wanted him for a week. They brought him in, gave him a championship just so he could lose it, and then he immediately disappeared.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Dave having arguments with people that don't think Moxley is a draw is amazing

I mean what I saw was people either saying "only because of WWE" or "but he's not a household name, how can he be a mega star".

No one is a mega star in WWE by that metric.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

Lance is stopping doing podcasts because he's so busy. Really bums me out, they're some of my favorite shows on the site

I really wish he had 5-10 minutes a week to call in, give Nitro scoops, call Bryan a jackass/idiot then return to his day.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I really wish we could get more stories of backstage stuff during the dying days of Nitro.

"why am I dumb?"

It's always amazing hearing how he tried so hard to produce reasonable television by Russo didn't have a clue. Also sad to hear him talking about how he was thinking of positioning himself to maybe get a WHC push in a few years.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

"He should gave grabbed your other hand and made you hold up 8 to really piss people off!"

What podcast is this from? There's two potential shows.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

How did nobody mentioning Granny's casual reveal that she's friends with X-Pac and sent him observers when asked for years?!?

Bryan and Vinny just glossed over the insanity of this.

Low Desert Punk posted:

GOAT granny segment

Spooks the ghost lad was a way better segment this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

yea ok posted:

She said a name that sounded like Sean Waltman, but that wasn't the name or X-Pac. The poster in question was making a joke of sorts, I believe

.....nope, just me loving up, sadly. Her accent saying "Scott Walton" confused me.

I guess talking about the fair price was the highlight. And suggestion that Bryan perch on her electricity line watching the workers like a hawk