Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

GOTM for November is one of the October games I end up starting this month

same

i'm estimating golf story might be that game, sight unseen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

speaking vaguely of games with ships, jesus christ Overlord in Monolith is no joke

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i want to play ac or odyssey but i keep playing Monolith instead, help

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah AC: origins isn't really doing it for me. maybe I'll come back to it some day but for now I'm probably gonna drop it

Pretty game, though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm still tempted to pick up Destiny 2 even though I just know it's going to disappoint me in the long run

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I hate it when multiple games enter my personal headspace at the same time

Right now I've just started Mario Odyssey but am thinking about buying Golf Story, and the whole time I want to play five more minutes of Monolith

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Goodness, New Donk City is pretty even at first appearance in the rainstorm. Can't wait to see itin better weather.

I keep going back and forth between Odyssey and Golf Story, though, and Monolith too. We are truly blessed and cursed with so many good games :unsmith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jfc new donk city is amazing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I’m just sitting here watching Mario dance with the band in his pinstripe suit and fancy fedora, and listening to the sick music

This game 100% justifies the Switch entirely on its own

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my God the Festival

That was an actual song

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh lord. I've been having a good time in Mario Odyssey and Golf Story, but I just remembered...

I never made it more than 1/4 of the way through Breath of the Wild. Haven't touched it in months, don't know anything about any of the DLC. And I kind of want to start it over, I don't like picking up games mid-playthrough after a long break.

I'm doomed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Start it over in hard mode.

There's a hard mode now? :ohdear:

I hate getting to this position where I have a ton of things to do but can't decide which to do and end up doing none of them. Character classes in video games, video games themselves, and more mundane poo poo like work tasks :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just got to the odyssey credits and I haven’t stopped smiling for like the last hour and a half

What a loving brilliant finale and outro

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good mornin', chat

Oh god it's morning and I still don't know what I want to play most, noooo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Looper posted:

Can't believe it's already that time of year, time for one of my favorite holidays, a whole extra hour of gaming for free!

Blast, I knew I was forgetting something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

BM0 was an extremely good first foray into the Switch for me :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dunkey did his odyssey video today and now i guess i'm aborting that botw restart to play more odyssey instead. like half that video was--not just levels i've never seen before but entire mechanics i'd never seen or tried. wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Z2I9x4Pd0

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what can i say, i'm an endless font of bad decisions and poor opinions but by god i'm willing to be corrected

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

still though we better get a monster hunter on the switch soon in america or i'm gonna riot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

We're already getting MH World on PC (notably without loot boxes). Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

In the hellish dystopian cyberfuture of 2017 I just can't believe a PC MonHun can be good

(actually i've read/watched literally 0 media about it, I prefer not letting my internal hype engine run for games that are a ways out)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

Thanks for the encouraging words! Got it on the next try. Complaining on the internet: it works pretty much every time! (That's honestly part of the reason I made the post)

Every damned time for me too, it's like magic

I did some of the postgame, 327 moons total so far. Then I briefly turned on BotW, started a new file, and tried to do a Mario longjump off of the first cliff out of instinct

The merio game has infected me :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good lord NieR Automata was this year too? Time is an illusion after all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Any true FPS elitist would note that it's not just about raw framerates, but frame pacing and frame variance, which is why a game that runs at a rock solid 30fps at all times like Horizon Zero Dawn looks and feels much smoother than the whack-rear end PC port of AssCreed at 45fps.

augh yes a slightly bumpy 60fps drives me far more insane than a steady 30 does

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just got a new bigscreen TV, video games look really great on this thing compared to my ancient plasma

Up to about 400 moons in Odyssey and I think I'm about done at this point. Time to move on to trying BotW again, I think

Still not sure if I want to try master mode or not though. Probably not since I never actually beat the game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

They released a character specific trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygax_f4e5a8

I really like how this looks visually but I got burned so hard on XCX, dunno if I'm gonna jump in on this one (as much as I want a Switch JRPG right now)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

if you can power your way to 500 moons you should try, you unlock something very nice

yeah maybe, I know what it unlocks and that does sound pretty neat

it's less that i don't want to play odyssey anymore and more that i want to give BotW a shake, but they haven't invented a way for me to play two (attention-requiring) games at once yet :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Busy dying to the first red bokoblins in normal botw lmao

Glad I didn’t choose master mode after all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hm I’d forgotten how tedious actually climbing in botw is

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well I mean I am now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It kind of occurred to me earlier that if I were to try playing Super Metroid for the first time at this point in my life I'd probably dislike it (but not hate it) like I do Hollow Knight

That realization kinda weirds me out, I've always felt like I loved that game. I guess younger me was just much more patient

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Odyssey is extremely incredibly good but I find I prefer linear games over exploration games so 3D World still holds the crown

Nintendo please port 3D World to Switch tyvm

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(of course I say I prefer linear games but I'm absorbed by BotW again so who the gently caress knows what I'm talking about?)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wondered if I was the only one who had trouble with the turnaround sideflip in Odyssey, yeah

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So what is the Yakuza series and should I possibly buy one of them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I feel like I now know less than I did 20 minutes ago

I guess it's a brawler of sorts kind of? With an absurd number of minigames? Anyway it seems interesting, though it's gotta compete with odyssey and botw for mental headspace

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I like the metaphor of fighting games as a language because I've always been poo poo at learning new languages and I'm really bad at/confused by fighting games :v:

Getting high and bullshitting my way through Tekken with my brother and friends is always fun though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was thinking of saying "yeah that sounds like Tekken" but as previously said I'm no fighter aficionado

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Colonel posted:

yeah for some reason mid-development they reworded the dialog choices and the result is just cole seemingly constantly switching personality for no reason

What was the wording supposed to be? I remember it was TRUTH, DOUBT, LIE when I played

Which I assumed meant "Cole thinks they're telling the truth / Cole thinks there's something awry with the story / Cole thinks they're flat out lying" but I recall it not quite being like that in practice

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

l.a. noire... victim of trying to condense fairly complex expressions into a single word.

makes me wonder if the german translation fared any better critically :v:

your explanation sure sheds a lot of light on my memories of the game, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I need to give Horizon another shot at some point, I kind of left it to the side after like two hours

• Locked thread