Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Flyers bad

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
News: Flyers game tonight, definitely wearing orange to the game.

Views: the Flyers have no defensemen, R.I.P.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
News part 2:

https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/11/2/16597810/philadelphia-flyers-nhl-defensemen-radko-gudas-injury-oh-god-theres-blood-everywhere

Views:

:stare:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Asian posted:

Is GhostBear still injured from that Komarov hit?

I can't believe that didn't get at least a phone call.

I believe it’s from that hit yes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Hey SAS dudes, in a couple weeks a few buddies and I are are going on a hockey road trip. We're stopping in Columbus to see the game against the Rangers, and then moving on to Nashville to see the game against the Avalanche the next night. We have our accommodations and tickets sorted out, but we have Saturday night after the game and then all day Sunday in Nashville and we have no idea what to do. Anybody have any suggestions for food, drink, or entertainment options?

Ton to do in Nashville.

Walkable to the stadium you can get to 3 micro brews minimum: Yazoo, Tennessee Brewing and Jackalope. Flying Saucer has a great selection and is 8 blocks from the stadium.

Music wise visiting both Grimeys and Third Man Records is a must do.

Parnassis (sp?) Books is a small indie book shop that’s really cool.

Best breakfast: there’s a few, but I’ll stand by pancake pantry. Biscuit Love in the gulch is hipster but I like it.

Hot chicken is def a thing. I just never got into it when I lived there, so I don’t know he main places.

Frist Art Center is cool, that would be a good Sunday thing. Nashville also always has some event going on so check the local listings. If it’s roller derby season roller derby games are fun.

Nashville is pretty spread out, so it’s more different segments of town vs walking everywhere. In general and no particular order, 8th street, 12th street, 21st, east Nashville (5 points), downtown are all good options.

Basically, anything that isn’t loving honky Tonks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For the Preds I think that’s a solid trade. not a great long term contract but the Preds don’t have that many bad contracts right now so I guess that’s ok?

They really need some forward scoring now though, and given that Johansen is the #1 center having Turris as a second line center, and then Bonino on the third line just adds a lot more depth right there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Pietrangelo has looked really, really, really good this year. If he keeps it up, definitely arguable for Norris candidate. I didn’t see enough games last year to tell you how big of a difference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
NHL outdoor games would be much cooler if there weren’t so many of them. The reason they did well at first was new concept + scarcity. If that’s gone, then what’s the point? It should just be the winter classic on January 1st when a lot of people have off and would watch the game in person or on TV. Also, it would be good hangover TV.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mage_Boy posted:

It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, only because a corrupt politician built them their own "interstate" that goes between 80 and 76 so it doesn't take two hours of twisty two lane roads to get there any more.

Eh, only good areas of PA: Philly, Allentown/Bethlehem, Pittsburgh. Not venturing too far outside of any of them. And I guess Lancaster is nice to visit.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

Allentown is eh, but the minor league stadiums are dope. Lancaster has an escalating drug problem.

Also, York is straight up depressing, outside of Maple Donuts.

I guess I should clarify that it’s really Bethlehem, but go to Allentown for Phantoms games followed by Fegleys brewworks. (I thought iron pigs was Bethlehem).

I dated an ex for 3 years that lived in York. gently caress York.

Bummer to hear about Lancaster but not a surprise 😕

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mage_Boy posted:

I'm pretty sure our whole state is an escalating drug problem at this point. I rarely watch TV, but when I do, it's always opiod addiction commercials.

Replace state with country. Ugh.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Do the Blues really need more help on defense?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gunjin posted:

Braden Holtby is now the second fastest goalie to 200 wins ever, at 319 games, just behind Ken Dryden who took 311.

On the flip side, Dryden won a Stanley cup after only 6 regular season games, whereas Holtby......

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ginette Reno posted:

God drat the Pens are bad this year. The way they're playing would be enough for a major trade or a coach firing normally except that they're not gonna do either because of the past two Cup wins. They've scored less goals than the Devils in 3 more games played lol. And Crosby and Letang are a combined minus 30.

Ah well. They can be bad if they want. I'm okay with it.

I’m ok with it too, OP.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

I wonder what happens if they miss the playoffs?

Caps finally find a way not to lose in the second round.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Gudas has been a pleasant surprise on being a pretty solid defenseman, but plays like that are lovely. Hell, I don’t really think intent matters, it was a bad play no matter what.

Also, NHL refs and NHL player safety continue to both suck.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Houston has to be a better idea to start with than Phoenix.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

At the Flyers game. Flyers up 3-1 after 1. Flyers looking decent all around. We've had 1 Eagles chant so far.

Provorov continues to be a beast. Great shot and he was awesome at killing that 4-3.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

Dale Weise is stupid and I hate him

Well....what are your thoughts on Brandon Manning?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
News: Flyers lose.

Views:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I know everyone was geared for the Flyers to have rookie defensemen this year, but man i don’t think we expected this many. I guess it’s trial by fire.

And on the time, Gudas is a repeat offender, so probably should have been more, but 10 games is pretty severe for NHL standards.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Legace seems to be ok health wise, and Subban is back on the bench. Dansk and MAF are still on IR though MAF seems to be back at practice.

Their home ice advantage though is absolutely insane, though. They've only lost one game at home and that was the one MAF went down in. Then again, when you're trying to foster your home base, going being hot at home helps a ton.

Also, the opposing players are potentially hungover from a night of drinking and gambling.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit Flyers. I missed the game, but a game against the Canucks should be closer then that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Nox posted:

Question: Do you put more weight on 3rd in the Metropolitan or -16 goal differential?

If you answer with charts, please explain them like I'm an idiot.

If you’re talking about Pittsburgh, as much as I don’t like the team Neimi alone really ruined their stats.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

do we fire Hakstol now

Probably not till mid next season.

Off topic: didn’t you post that you were going for a big job interview in Philly? Did you get it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The crazy thing there is Couturier is really hard to get through. That’s what makes it even more drat impressive.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What's up with Weise anyways? I liked him as a middle 6 guy in Montreal, but his numbers are bad ever since.

Can’t keep hold of the puck or shoot.

Also, Lehtera and Weisse for Leier and Weal? Fire Hakstol.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

the flyers, against all odds, are going to bullshit their way to a 2-1 win against a far better team tonight

that or get destroyed like 7-0, who knows

AMac is back. Irony of the season will be that somehow he will be the glue that causes the Flyers to win hockey games.

Edit:

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/practice-update-lineup-changes-pens-and-the-dads--philadelphia-flyers/c-293390804

Dave Hakstol posted:

Added Hakstol: "Every time you've seen Jori in the lineup, he's played good, hard, two-way hockey. He brings a heaviness to whatever line he's on, so for me it's more of looking at factors like that."

:tif:

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 27, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

lmao hell yeah

I gotta be honest, I really don't hate AMac nearly as much as the rest of FAS seems to. I don't like his deal at all but that's far from his fault.

Edit to your edit: mother FUCKER i'm so tired of quotes like that.

AMac would be fine if not for his deal and if not for Hakstol playing him #1 minutes. Although, this year with how many rookie Defensemen there are, I guess I can understand.

But yeah, holy poo poo, Hakstol loves grit players and it is infuriating.

And watching Schenn now do well for the Blues is both great for me since they're now my home team, but also I just cry a little every time.

iospace posted:

AMac is one of those players the management and coaches love, fans hate, but in reality he's above average at best and slightly below at worst (read: nothing special either way). See also: Emelin, who seems to be enjoying new life in Nashville.

Emelin has looked good so far with Nashville. Probably helps that you have Subban, Josi and Eckholm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

The flyers pay Jori less money over a shorter time than they would have Brayden Schenn. Losing Brayden sucked but I think Hextall was primarily focused on clearing cap space.

E: I think Brayden did well with a change of scenery too. He was awesome on the PP but completely god awful at 5v5, to the point that it was a legitimate detriment to the team as a whole.

Hextall likely only traded Schenn because of Nolan Patrick.

I would agree on the change of scenery. I watched the Flyers last year, and a lot of Blues games this year, and Schenn looks like a different player. Yes he is playing with Tarasenko, yes he did have shittier line mates for a lot of last season, but Schenn spent time playing with Giroux and Vorachek and looked worse then than this year with the Blues.

In general, its probably part of whatever curse is on the Flyers. Constant goalie controversy, players always play better after they leave for other teams, etc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Didn't he move Schenn before they knew the draft order?

Def after.

https://www.nhl.com/news/flyers-deal-brayden-schenn-to-blues-for-jori-lehtera-picks/c-290097928

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

The Eagles currently have more wins than the Flyers

Trade Giroux for Wentz.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Oh sweet the 2nd half of a back-to-back and it's against a rested San Jose team tonight. :waycool:

Whatever, maybe we will get the 2nd pick of the draft again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

I miss Ed Snider.

He isn’t coming back dawg.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the saddest part of the Flyers for me is that Couterier FINALLY started scoring like we all knew he could.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I’ll keep watching the Flyers this season, but at this point I’m already ready to call it. gently caress it. Go Preds and Blues.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Yeah the losing streak is a bit more complex than "well they were total rear end for 9 games". The offense has been fantastic (especially from the top line) and Elliott has been a lot more steady in goal. Biggest problem in the streak was discipline and an abysmal PK. The blue line is just absurdly young and inexperienced too, especially when Gudas is suspeded and AMac (who actually hasn't been half bad this year) was injured.

Last night was basically a perfect storm of frustration, fatigue from the 2nd half of a back-to-back while playing a rested team, and specifically having to play the Sharks, who are phenomenal in shot suppression.

This is what we get for being so mad about “why won’t Hextall play the kids?” Last season and then excited coming into this season of “yes! They’re playing the kids! Surely that will make us contenders from day one since they are the future core of the Flyers D!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Ron is also exceedingly patient and I think he's watched a lot of teams ruin prospects by not giving them time to develop and get up to speed with the NHL game. Even with a pretty drat sure thing like Nolan Patrick, (before he got hotbrained) they were sheltering the gently caress out of him.

Given all the drama with a team like the Oilers and how they treated their prospects, honestly I’m ok with it. If the team blows this year, whelp, if it results in a better team later great.

Still curious how much Hakstol is helping vs hurting.

Also, still is infuriating watching in the moment.

• Locked thread