Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ground floor

Announce a new game Atlus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PS Rangpur please link the previous 2 threads in the OP, I still like going back to them for reasons

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tharsis Count is the best noble for sure, I love the part where you report some hosed up poo poo is happening and he springs to action.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sea Sponge Run posted:

that game's probably not gonna happen so I think you're good

Shhh let us dream

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Here's mine from midgame. Aww they were so cute and low leveled...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

The cicadas in the 6th stratum are the rudest enemy type I have ever encountered :catstare:

Use the bind all union skill or whatever for an easy kill and an easy conditional!

E: An easy and extremely valuable conditional

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Do I need to worry about Race/Class combinations other than the defaults? I'm pretty happy with the way my team's looking in this First Stratum with their default Races, but if late game isn't feasible without "optimal" stuff I'd rather know to change it now then later.

You don't need to worry about it. Everyone will do fine in their default classes for the whole game. It's just something extra for if you have a real good plan or you want to experiment.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I totally agree, EOV has easily the weakest story in the series.

Fortunately even though I've genuinely liked the stories, they're basically just a bonus to the main exploration gameplay.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's still a bit disappointing. They're at the best when it feels organic, like you're uncovering a mystery deep in the labyrinth.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It would've been so cool if I'd realized that thing about how the 6th stratum works. But alas...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any other good source of healing besides the Botanist (and items, obv)? I've tried bringing in a Shaman instead, but their passive heal from prayers isn't good enough.

It is good enough, but you gotta go all in. A divine shaman eventually has 3 different types of constant passive healing that can keep you alive through practically anything, with occasional supplementation with items.

The hardest part of course is the early game. I had a rover with a hound and animal therapy out helping out early on to help bridge the gap until gospel was maxed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what is even up with this golem fight? I understand that when it recombines it explodes, so is the right strat to just burn down all the little ones so that they can never fully recombine? There are quite alot of them though

If you block off the sides keeping him from reforming is manageable, the difficulty of doing so depends on your party. Ignoring them and just focusing on the main body can work too if you can survive the explosion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

apparently I wasn't paying attention because my Fencer now knows Cold Front, that attack the Ice Bats use

how did she learn this? the game hasn't mentioned a system for learning enemy skills

She has a weapon equipped that has it.

E: Fetus! You!!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

One-two Punch is incredibly unreliable damage past the early-game. Even at level 10, the activation rate is only 66%, not 100%, which makes it unviable. You'll need it to unlock Leading Blow, but Clinch will be far better for locking down FOEs and bosses. And the self bind from Clinch can be used for Breather which will amplify Leading Blow's damage.

I landed the killing blow on the super boss with one two punch. Being able to have a very good chance for a large damage multi hit attack with no setup is extremely valuable.

To be sure, I had to rework my build for that boss so I could have clinch and overexertion maxed too, but up to and including it that move never stopped being useful.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Atlus is the king of making niche games for a small but passionate audience, I wouldn't worry about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Junpei actually playing an EO game? Land sakes alive, now I've seen everything!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Handgun Phonics posted:

How important is it to level up a Rover's animal call skills? The 75 TP price tag is making me a bit leery.

You can get away with keeping it at 9 for most of the game but you'll want your animal of choice maxed out by the end of the 5th stratum for sure. 75 for a summon that should last you a whole dungeon run isn't so bad at that point.

I also stopped using my hound around that point so that's 25 TP saved that makes up for most of the hawk's increase.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If only there were some kind of substance you could use to preserve the corpses of your enemies at the moment of their deaths allowing for easy harvesting of valuable body parts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah this game has really easy to get Formaldehydes. You can just use panic gas and then kill them and usually get 3 or 4 per battle.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jackard posted:

I picked up Etrian Mystery Dungeon instead, this seems pretty cool so far

May god have mercy on his soul

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My favorite boss is definitely Warped Savior because I think it's the only really good ultimate boss in the series, and the only one I was able to beat purely on my own abilities (as opposed to reading strategies) so the rush I got from beating it was the best.

Least favorite would be Abyssal God but that's kinda a cheap answer cause it's so objectively terrible, so I'll go with EOU2's Great Dragon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Story mode is fun in both games eff the haters

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jimmy Hats posted:

EO4 rules.

I think the rule of thumb is never to have arcanist be the main class but i never really liked that class anyways so im not the expert on it.

No arcanist main class is great. An arcanist/medic will have way more utility with a bit of emergency direct heals.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cool

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They've been pretty good at cranking them out in about a year so I'd say we'll see it in 2019 most likely.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wocobob posted:

EO4 question: I’m like halfway through the first floor of the first official dungeon, and all my guys are like level 4-5. I’m still at the point in leveling where the baboon FOEs completely wipe the floor with me, but the dungeon is now throwing them at me as regular random encounters, while the bear FOE keeps aggroing on me during the fights. I’m really far from being able to kill them, so what’s the solution? Am I just supposed to run away? Or is it a sign that I’m supposed to come back later and maybe try the side cave I’ve found first?

The baboons in random encounters are not the same as the FOEs. If I remember right they are mostly dangerous because they throw the armadillo enemies at you, so kill those first. You should be able to handle them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RegalStar posted:

I disliked Echo Library far more than Golden Lair, which I'm ambivalent on.

Yeah the Library is by far the worst imo. It's so long and so boring

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It still only took a little more than a year to come out here. A year plus or minus a couple months seems to be the trend.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That innate attribute would've been annoying anyway so good riddance

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The cooking sidequest loses all the fun without the story party

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat that's a good turnaround, nice job atlus!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

5 was better than 4 in every way

Well except the story, the story was worse than usual

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

EO2U is my favorite one though

4 ranks near the bottom for me cause I really don't like any of its main dungeons except the postgame one, and that's the most important part of an EO game for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I honestly hate the world maps and side dungeons so I liked EO5.

Yeah. 5 being a return to form was my favorite thing about it.

Clarste posted:

It's more like a "I literally cannot have enough Etrian Odyssey, inject it directly into my veins" kind of game.

That's me alright. Here's my arm Atlus, do it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

theshim posted:

(and yes I don't like petal bridge, fite me)

Man really that's my single favorite one in the whole series

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fortunately quests basically always ask for items from areas and enemies further along than when the quest is unlocked. So as long as you're checking in before selling each time you're in town, it's unlikely you'll accidentally sell something you're gonna regret.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow this comes out in less than 2 weeks I haven't been paying attention

For once since this one is all recurring classes, I actually wanna loosely plan out my party ahead of time. My main goal is to make it up entirely of classes I haven't used before. So that would be

Ronin
Farmer
Ninja
Shogun
Nightseeker
Imperial
Harbinger
Hero

I definitely want to use a Hero since they're the new hotness, and I think I'd also like to use an Imperial. I don't know anything about Farmers in this game, I assume they're actually useful somehow?

It looks like it'll be a pretty non traditional team whatever I go with, so any ideas would be helpful.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I'm maybe 10 hours into EOIV and never bought V. I'm a few minutes into Untold 1. Will Nexus be enough of a "definitive" game that I won't feel the need to spread out my playthrough across multiple games to get a large tasted of the series. I'm thinking of just getting that and focusing on it, and then go back to the older titles if I really need more shwampy pampys.

I doubt it. You should probably just try and stick with one of the games you already have or maybe you just don't like the series if you've given it two tries and not gotten into it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Do Farmers have any kind of healing capabilities? My plan for a team of all classes I haven't played before has one snag in that I don't think any of my available choices are healers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gotcha. How do people usually handle running teams without a dedicated healer? I'm usually too chicken but my determination to have no repeats is outweighing my caution. I guess just use lots of items?

RegalStar posted:

They can toss items to heal. So can everyone else, true, but their force boost doubles item effects so they've still got a small edge on that.

Ooh that could help